A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

AHIMA basic coding or coderclass.com (AAPC) - Carol

Posted: Apr 10, 2013

Hi everyone! My place of employment has approached me about the possibility of training as an outpatient coder within the year but wants me to take a CPT and ICD-9 course, no certification needed, just something stating I took these two courses.  Would you who have been through this suggest I take AHIMA's coding basics (she says I only need the 4 total courses - CPT (2), ICD-9 (2) or take something like an online AAPC course i.e. coderclass.com?  Can the AHIMA courses be completed within 5-6 months if I am only taking 2 at a time?

Thanks so much in advance! 

My thoughts: - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Why not get certified? I haven't heard of coderclass.com, but I have heard that the AAPC online class can be frustrating for students who have no coding experience.

If you are going to go through the hassle of attending classes, I'd get certified. I know that you didn't ask that, but you may not realize that coding errors can expose you to liability.

Certification plus experience is a great career-widening move. With all of the changes coming to healthcare, I believe it is a career-limiting move not to get certified.

Just my opinion, which you asked for. Good luck and congratulations on finding the opportunity!

WHAT SHE SAID - WWW

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with the above. If you are going to take classes anyway -- why not get certified? While this new position may not "require" certification -- one day it might. Or, God forbid something happens to that position, you will be more employable. I think you should go for it, and congratulations on this great opportunity!

Thank you gals - Carol

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi everyone, thank you so much for your thoughts :) I should have mentioned that I am nearly done with my A.A., have 11 years of transcription experience and have already taken A&P 1 and 2 with labs and medical terminology. Sorry about that. However, these thoughts are exactly what I'm looking for. I feel very rushed with this opportunity, don't want it to pass me by but also don't want to waste any money. It's too hard to come by! lol

I would love to get certified as well, once I have completed a course just because like you all, I'm thinking way down the road - just in case, covering my own back.

I have a lot to think about here - again, I really appreciate all your insight. I feel very blind going into this so fast.

Have a great day!

Yeah, knowing that would have helped. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
But you still have the time problem. What is your AA in, anyway? That might make a difference.

If it is an RHIT program, or if you want to convert to one, the AHIMA courses will transfer (maybe).

If AHIMA will accept your A&P, and let you take ICD9 and CPT at the same time, you could do it in 6 months or less.

If your employer will accept the AAPC course, you can do it for less $ and in 4 months or less. If they will accept that, I would go that route.. The AAPC course does have people to answer questions, it seems, but AHIMA absolutely does not.

AA - general studies to transfer to B.S. - Carol
[ In Reply To ..]
I have just been plugging away at a general AA to transfer to a university with no real clear plan in mind :) If coding goes well, I was thinking IT/health informatics because I absolutely love technology. I think the coding is going to take up a huge amount of learning time for the next year or two though, so I'll take a short break from school. Thanks for the thoughts, I am thinking the exact same thing as you - AAPC course since the boss has OK'd it and less $, less time. The facility will, however, pay for any additional courses/exams once I have the basic courses just not the first part unfortunately.

You gals are awesome! I haven't been on this board in years (transcription part) but I'll visit more often to keep up with what's going on in billing.

Thanks again and have a great afternoon!
Agree, then, AAPC first! - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Then I would rip through the AAPC course right away and get that job. Certify if you can. You get 2 tries on that exam, so that is helpful. You can give it a try.

Let us know how it goes.

We have almost never had any billers here, as it happens. Everyone is either coding or HIM, with, I think, possibly 2 HIM informaticists.

Sure thing - Carol
[ In Reply To ..]
Woops - billing isn't the same as coding, my bad ;) Makes sense.

I will keep you posted - life comes at you fast that's for sure! I had no intention of going down this road, but since it has presented itself, I will do my very best :)

My thoughts ... - CCS, CPC

[ In Reply To ..]
Not all coding programs are equivalent. They do not necessarily teach the same things. You also should be very careful about thinking that you don't need certification right now and that you "only" need an ICD-9 and a CPT course. There is more to coding than that. Your best chance at certification is right after a good course while you are still in textbook coding mode.

I understand what you need for this situation,but want you to be aware of the issues surrounding doing it this way. Yes, you need to qualify for this training opportunity at work, but let's try to do it in a way that leaves doors open and does not waste money.

The AAPC course you found uses the AAPC curriculum. Look closely at the syllabus that is online. Do you see that it covers ICD-9 in 3 modules? And medical terminology in 1? And CPT coding in 14 modules? What is that telling you? What are they teaching about ICD-9 that they can do it in 3 modules?

Before you think that I am full of stuff, I'll share that I know what these courses contain because I have taken all three types of coding courses -- AAPC, AHIMA style college, one week bootcamps -- and I know what is in them.

AAPC is popular because it focuses on the coding that outpatient coders do. It is wildly popular with people who fear anatomy, because it doesn't contain any or require it. Your employer asked you to take a course in ICD-9 and a course in CPT. If they suggested this AAPC style course, then you should be fine taking it. I suggest just taking the online course from the AAPC itself. That way you avoid issues. It is about $1195 for AAPC members. For a bit more, you can include the exam. It includes textbooks, but you need to supply the code books. You will be finished in 4 months and probably certified. However, coding is very difficukt to learn on your own. There are very high noncomplete rates in courses like this.

If your employer will not accept that, you will not have time to get into local college classes due to the scheduling and prerequisites. You would have to do the online AHIMA courses. Note that you will have to take a college course in anatomy before starting any coding course. They have one you can take for $290, textbook included. You will then need 2 ICD-9 courses and 2 CPT courses. They divide them into 2 parts -- first and second halves of the textbook, so you can't get away with taking just the first one. That will be $225 x 4 = 900 plus 300-400 in textbooks, plus code books. Your total for that will be at least $1500. Note carefully that they have no instructors. If they will allow you to take CPT with ICD9, you are looking at 15 + 15 + 15 weeks or 9 months. If they won't allow it, it will take 15 weeks for each course x 5. Way too long, but you could try to do them faster. You need proctors for the exams, too. You would probably need to take a review course for the CPC exam, too. High noncomplete rates, again.

If they want AHIMA-style college courses, I'll give another option. Andrews teaches outpatient and inpatient coding separately. They offer a package that costs $3800. Everything is included, textbooks, code books, and actual instructors. Their graduates can pass both the CPC and CCS on graduation. They have no prerequisites and start teaching ICD-9 the first day. CPT follows. You would thus have what you needed for your employer before you finished the whole course. I heard that you can do just outpatient coding, so you might want to ask Linda Andrews about that. You will be spending a lot on other courses anyway without really learning anything in depth. You might not want to shell out 3800, but if you do the AHIMA course and still have to do a bootcamp review to pass a certification exam, you will be shelling out $$$ anyway. And you still won't be able to code inpatient. In the long run, 3800 is not a lot considering what you get and where it will get you. You will have what you need within 6 months and what we know you need for your career in a year. If you are motivated, you can do it.

You have 3 options. Quick and dirty for cheap, complicated and possibly impossible for more, and a thorough option that would get you where you needed in 5 or 6 months while allowing continuation for better career results.

Anatomy - AAPC grad

[ In Reply To ..]
You are mistaken about the AAPC course not requiring anatomy. They teach it in their program, and there is no way for students to waive it. Go to their website and read the curriculum. Career Step also includes it in their program (cannot be waived) and AHIMA requires it before they let you enter the program. Sooner or later, it always comes down to someone promoting the Andrews School.

I don't think you're correct - another poster

[ In Reply To ..]
I looked through the AAPC requirements, but I thought about going through them.

Under the CPC prep course, Anatomy is listed as "Highly recommended." Recommended doesn't mean required.

Also, Andrews is promoted all the time here because they are apparently (haven't gone through the course so I can't say for certain) really good and you get more bang for your buck, which I did calculate out and that part is true.

Here's the link to the CPC info from AAPC http://www.aapc.com/training/cpc-online-medical-coding-training-course.aspx

Not sure what your course taught, but ... - AAPC does not require A&P

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know what your course included, but the course AAPC produces does not include or require anatomy. It is now recommending a course in it, at an additional fee, mostly because you will be unprepared for ICD-10 without it.

The course AHIMA requires is a one-semester college course in anatomy and physiology. AAPC's course does not come anywhere close to that. It covers med terms in one chapter, mostly as a word list. The diagrams and drawings in their book should not be confused with the content of a college anatomy course. For that matter, the med terms they teach does not come close to a college course.

Some AAPC courses supplement with an anatomy coloring book. That is not a course in anatomy and neither is the home-made booklet CS uses.

The AAPC has a great course. You can learn physician services coding quickly and get a certification. Nothing wrong with that. You just shouldn't think that they are teaching a year of college material in those 20 lessons, because they don't.

Like someone above said, courses do not cover the same material. They may look like it, but they don't.

Really? Someone said it would be better to go - AAPC/AHIMA route and they
[ In Reply To ..]
do not require anatomy and physiology? Only recommend it?? Hmmm. Seems that would be an extremely beneficial course to have.
AAPC/AHIMA - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, it is beneficial to have.

AAPC and AHIMA have different requirements. AHIMA now requires A&P.
AAPC still only recommends it.
That was a qualified recommendation - with some reservations
[ In Reply To ..]
... not a blanket "recommendation" of the AAPC/AHIMA courses. It was made with the OP's unique requirements in mind. There had been a discussion of the disadvantages, including the lack of basic sciences.

She needed a course that was fast, and her employer would accept AAPC's. A credential was not necessary, apparently because there were plans for OJT.

Similar Messages:

AHIMA Basic Coding Program, Anyone Else Take This?
Apr 27, 2015

Hello, I am currently enrolled in AHIMA's Basic Coding Program.  Has anyone else done this program?  It seems that the CCS is mentioned as being the certficiate to get, is the CCA no good?  This is all new to me, so any advice would be appreciated!  I have done transcription for 17 years, but my company was outsourced, so time for a change.  I am really enjoying learning coding.  It is an online course, so I hope it will be enough to prepare me for a coding pos ...

Can Someone Compare Andrews To AHIMA Basic Coding Course?
Feb 07, 2013

they call this a 12-course basics.  it says 2000, plus you need an additional 290 +225 for the required anatomy and physiology course, which you must at least get a C before you can proceed with the coding.  they also suggest 35 a year for becoming a member.  books are also a lot extra, looks like.   says 4 clusters of 15-week courses, that is 60 weeks, yes?   anyone have experience with this course?  call me gun-shy, but this is the organization who threw MT unde ...

SURVEY: Name Your Coding School, And If You Passed The AAPC Or AHIMA Exams!!
May 09, 2010

this may help so many of us. Name your school that you got your coding education from.   Name which organization you sat for certification exam and if you passed OR how many times it took you to pass!   Thanks ...

AHIMA/AAPC
Feb 25, 2011

Anyone out there a member of AHIMA or AAPC?  Did you join after you became certified, or before?  What are your thoughts about joining?   ...

AHIMA (CCS) Versus AAPC (CPC) Which Is Better?
May 09, 2010

There is a lengthy debate as to which of two certifications CCS or CPC are good choices and which will yield better result. The AAPC webiste states that the CPC is a physician/provider-based coding cert. Hospitals are usually looking for facility-based coding certifications, as those credentials apply to their line of business & clinical setting.Hospital certified coders generally code in the hospital (e.g., CPC-H, CCS) and physician certified coders (e.g., CPC, CCS-P) usually code in provid ...

When To Joint AHIMA And AAPC?
Jun 28, 2012

I am currently in Andrews and wonder when would be a good time to join these organizations? I checked out AHIMA and their student designation is only for approved schools, and since Andrews is not, I would have to pay the full price of $165 before taking the CCS exam. The exam itself costs 299 for members and 399 for nonmembers. For AAPC, their student membership costs 70 and does not seem to be tied to "approved schools." I'm just a low-paid MT and wondering if I should spring for thes ...

So The Question Still Remains -- AAPC Or AHIMA
May 09, 2010

i understand one is more geared towards outpatient and one more toward inpatient, but the question still remains, one is a 4 month full time course and one is a 1 year or so.  But the question still does remain, WHICH organization has a better well rounded LEARN MEDICAL CODING TO GET AN ENTRY LEVEL JOB in Todays Market?  for the newbie?   anyone?????????  please ...

AAPC Codebooks For The AHIMA CCA Exam?
Feb 16, 2013

I am currently a member of AAPC; however I have also joined AHIMA. I have a 2013 ICD-9 Codebook by AAPC..can I use this book to sit for my certification for the AHIMA CCA exam? I've seen the AHIMA list of approved books and my AAPC book is not listed. Additionally, I understand that I can use a 2012 ICD-9 book. My test is 3/2/2013. My 2012 ICD-9 book is by Carol Buck..can I use this book? This book is not listed in the approved books list on AHIMA. Please help--I need to know. THANKING ...

Basic Coding Help
Apr 20, 2010

Hello, I am looking for anyone who is a coder, or understands the basic concepts of using the ICD-9 book. If possible I would like to speak with someone directly and can arrange a phone call. I am only a few weeks into this, I do not want to be a coder, I am getting my degree to be an MA. Just reading examples of how or why to code something a certain way is really giving me trouble. If anyone hear can offer any help please drop me a line. I don't know if there is a way to PM someone o ...

Advice On Starting Basic Coding Course Now
Feb 05, 2011

Just wonder what your thoughts are on this dilema.   I want to start learning coding now.   I am in a position where I have the time now and might not later.   With ICD-10 starting in 2010, is it unwise to even go into ICD-9 now and then as soon as I am done then starting to learn ICD-10?  Is is possible to take a course from AHIMA now in ICD-10 does anyone know?  Are there any advantages to taking the ICD-9 first or should I just start out wi ICD-10?  ...

AAPC Coding Course... SM
Nov 06, 2010

Has anyone taking the coding course through the AAPC?  I am thinking of taking the outpatient coding course.  It has to be good, right?  I mean they administer the tests for the certification, etc.  My choices right now are Andrews, Career Step, and AAPC and I really am leaning towards AAPC.  Just thought I would check in and see if anyone has any opinions on this course....  Thanks Guys!!! ...

AAPC Coding Course
Nov 12, 2010

I am an MT totally ready to move out of the house, off my 16-hour chair sitting for peanuts and on to the coding field.  I have researched for months, looked here for months, and came upon this website, as well.  Just seeing if anyone out there would recommend the course from AAPC?  Thanks a bunch for your input and advice!!  I don't want to waste my time/money or be scammed.. (: Happy Friday all! ...

AHIMA Coding Course - Financial Aid
Nov 22, 2010

Does anyone know if the AHIMA coding course is eligible for the Pell grant or any other financial aid benefits? ...

AHIMA-approved Coding Courses
Dec 28, 2012

I was looking at going to Andrews School for medical coding, but many employers want those trained in AHIMA-approved courses, and Andrews is not.  I see that Career Step is, so I may go for that.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!!! ...

Career Step And AHIMA Coding Programs
Apr 29, 2010

What is your experience with either of these schools in terms of relevance, quality of instruction, materials used, preparation for exam and coding on-the-job, responsiveness of the school? I'm considering both and would really appreciate your thoughts. Thank you! ...

Which Of The AHIMA-approved Coding Programs Are Good Quality?
May 08, 2014

Has anyone taken any of the AHIMA-approved coding programs and gotten credentials and a job? I'm just wondering which of them prepare you adequately to pass the credential tests and get hired. I looked on the AHIMA site at the distance learning coding programs they recommend, and here they are: Camden County College Career Step Dakota State University Great Falls College Montana State University Lone Star College North Dakota State College of Science Santa Barbara City College Shor ...

ESL/Basic 4
Sep 17, 2010

What is the basic 4 and what is ESL experience.  English to Spanish? ...

Is Hiding What The Basic Pay Is Even Legal? The Min
Nov 30, 2014

as they would like us all to think. How is this plan industry leading as they'd like us to believe? There is no way to even know week to week how much you will be paid. It certainly is not a way to feed your family and take care of business. Do they forget that many of us are single parents with babies to take care of? How is this industry leading? ...

No One Has Answered One Of The Basic Questions Below Sm
Nov 30, 2014

Who sent the email that was received? Was this from a TSM/COM/someone else? I have not seen any such email. That's not to say that some of you got it, that apparently means not all of us got it and that begs the question of WHO sent the email? Anyone willing to answer? ...

Good Site To Go To For Basic Four Samples
Feb 23, 2010

I need a good site to go to for basic four samples.  Does anyone know of any?  Thanks! ...

Basic Question Here: I Believe I Have The Ability To Be A Good Coder
May 20, 2011

it's subpar. And I'm getting older. I'm still sharp, though, and analytical, plus a fast, accurate reader. How badly would need to consult references a bit more than average or inability to count cards without taking notes affect me in this field? BTW, I'm currently editing and have always been very good at anything I take on. Thanks for any input. ...

Seeking Some Basic Help On How To Use Emdat Inscribe Platform
Jan 10, 2014

Would anyone be interested in helping me learn the basics on how to use the inscribe emdat platform?  There is a job I could have only they do not offer training; it is all done by your own by reading the manual.  I am not so good at understanding things that way and just have a few questions... Just throwing this out there... If anyone is willing, please email me through MTStars.  Thank you for consideration, BansheeMT ...

AAPC
Apr 10, 2010

How good are their coding classes?  I am looking for a accredited place.   Are there any other good places? ...

Has Anyone Taking The AAPC Course?
Jan 05, 2011

I cannot afford the money to go to a college, so I was wondering how good the AAPC course is.  HAs anyone taken it?  What did you think? ...

CPC Course Through AAPC Extension
Jun 12, 2011

I'm taking the CPC coding course through AAPC.  I have four months to complete it, but haven't done so yet.  It says on their website that I can get an extension for $29.95 a month, but I can't find anywhere to send it?  Can somebody please help?  Thank's! ...

Question About AAPC's CPC Course
Jul 07, 2013

So I've been thinking about the big transition from MT to coding myself. Has anyone done the AAPC's CPC course and if so, did you find the instructors helpful and that the course was beneficial? Did you find that employers accepted it as a good training program when you applied for a job? One thing I'm concerned about is that I don't see on their course where they are including anything about ICD-10 training. You would think since it's so close they'd go ahead and o ...

CareerStep Or AAPC
Feb 08, 2015

I know this question has been asked in the past, but most replies are 3-4 years old.  Looking at both programs, anybody taken either course?  Which would be the better of the two?  Also has anyone who has graduated from the CareerStep program gained employment with IOD? Thank you for your input! ...

Went To AAPC Chapter Mtg. Question Re CPC-H Vs CCS
May 31, 2010

I had a great time as a guest at a local AAPC chapter meeting last week. The subject was Coding as a Career which was perfect for a first-timer! I noticed that CPC has an "H" credential for hospital. How does that compare to the CCS credential which is for inpatient coding? The main speaker who started out with AHIMA credential and has added AAPC said that CPC is becoming more popular. She is a department head and has hiring responsibility for a large hospital/clinic system. She said they woul ...

AAPC CPC Prep Course (4 Month)
Jul 30, 2012

Hi - Has anyone here taken the 4-month AAPC CPC Preparation course?  How did you do on the CPC Exam?  ...

How About Training Direct From AAPC
Sep 18, 2012

Ok, how about this program. It is directly from AAPC. Anyone on here received their CPC or CPC-H from this course? http://www.aapc.com/training/cpc-complete-training-package.aspx  So, let me have it... the good the bad and the ugly. ...