A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

More AAPC Chapter Meeting Stuff - Various roles of coders - MTLC

Posted: May 31, 2010

Here are some things I learned about the various types of coding. They tried to interview coders who do each kind of coding as they went along.

(I was taking notes as fast as I could and trying to understand. Anyone who REALLY knows please feel free to correct my understanding! I am including these notes as they were of great interest to me as a potential coding student.)

1. Technical component and Professional component. They illustrated the distinction this way: In interventional radiology there is the technical component of what is done, and  then the professional component of something is done.

2. EMR coding. One coder said she works for a physician practice where she codes, recodes, and goes to the doctors to educate them.

3. Compliance. Going through coded charts to see whether the correct provider did the correct thing. Interviewed someone who works for a large clinic system. Their goal is to catch problems before the government does.

4. Insurance companies. There is a CPC subspecialty called CPC-P - for Payer. Often they work for insurance companies. One coder said she got her CPC-P in order to help the hospital she works at to understand the insurance side of things so they can get better claims payments and fewer denials.

5. Denial management seems to be a major area for coders to get into. One coder said, and all agreed, the obligation of a coder is to "Do all we can to make sure a service provided is paid for legally." Several coders talked about how much they crave making sure their employer/doctor/department gets paid.

6. Education is another big area for coding. They educate providers, even follow the doctors around in the hospital or when they see patients to see whether they are documenting everything they are doing so as to get payment.

#6 is the one that sounds fascinating to me.

This coding meeting had about 50 people there. There were about a dozen who had just gotten their certification and were looking for work.

More about looking for work in my next installment of my notes!

Correction to point number 1: Professional component of WHY something is done. - MTLC (bad MT form - did not proofread first!) (NM)

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Wonderful! - Redpen

[ In Reply To ..]

Excellent!  I'm glad you had a chance to attend a meeting and that it was a positive experience for you.  AAPC meetings tend to be supportive, welcoming, informative, and all good things. 

Your note that about a dozen people had just received their certification and were looking for work was . . . interesting.  What does that tell you about the belief that you need to work for a couple of years before taking the exams?   If all those people somehow managed to pass . . . well, hmm, maybe you can expect to do so as well?  

Let's see if I can add to your lovely notes:

1. Technical component and Professional component. They illustrated the distinction this way: In interventional radiology there is the technical component of what is done, and  then the professional component of something is done.

Exactly!  When a patient sees a physician in the office, the entire visit consists of the physician's professional work.  But, when a patient goes to a hospital or outpatient center to have an interventional radiology procedure done, the interventional radiologist performs a procedure (the professional work or component) in a facility that supplies equipment and personnel to perform the technical component.  The interventional radiologist goes back to his office and has his office staff code and bill the professional component.  The facility codes and bills the technical component.   What happens if the physician owns the facility where the procedure is performed?  He or she gets to code and bill both.

Something similar happens with surgeons.  They have offices, but go to facilities or hospitals to perform surgery.  The surgeon's office staff codes and bills for the office visits and for the professional portion of the surgery.  The facility codes and bills for the hospital stay that includes the surgery, or for just the facility portion of the outpatient surgery if the patient was not admitted.

Before, you might have seen "a procedure" as one thing, but now you can see that it has two separate parts.   You can see that there are jobs on both sides.

2. EMR coding. One coder said she works for a physician practice where she codes, recodes, and goes to the doctors to educate them.

Physicians sometimes have a coder who does all the coding, but sometimes they do the coding themselves.  Their coder will check and recode as necessary.  In either case, an outside coder is often brought in to check the coding that the office does and to provide education for the physicians in the group.  This is part of the practice's compliance plan in which they seek to be compliant with Medicare and other third-party payer rules by auditing what they do and getting education so that they improve.

3. Compliance. Going through coded charts to see whether the correct provider did the correct thing. Interviewed someone who works for a large clinic system. Their goal is to catch problems before the government does.

Compliance is very important because it helps you find errors and problems.  If you're doing this, it helps you demonstrate that you are doing what is necessary to find problems, i.e., that your intentions are good.  

Did this help you see that there are more jobs in coding than "just coding?" 

4. Insurance companies. There is a CPC subspecialty called CPC-P - for Payer. Often they work for insurance companies. One coder said she got her CPC-P in order to help the hospital she works at to understand the insurance side of things so they can get better claims payments and fewer denials.

5. Denial management seems to be a major area for coders to get into. One coder said, and all agreed, the obligation of a coder is to "Do all we can to make sure a service provided is paid for legally." Several coders talked about how much they crave making sure their employer/doctor/department gets paid.

I think this will become more important as time goes on.   There is a huge need for this because it is probably easier to NOT get paid than it is to get paid what you legitimately deserve.  To newcomers to the field, it often seems that if you bill for xyz, then you get paid for that.  That isn't what happens, though.  You can bill for xyz, but under certain circumstances the payer's computer decides payment is not warranted and denies the claim.  You might not know what the circumstances are that the computer used, you might not be able to figure out what's wrong from what they tell you about it, and it might just be a programming error on the part of the payer.  Denials management coders sort this all out so their employer gets paid now and so they can avoid the same thing happening in the future.

You can see that this kind of job is not just "looking up codes."   It's a lot more than that.  This kind of job pays more than plain coding, too.  This is why I'm not much bothered by the claims that computer programs will be looking up codes--that's fine with me!  No computer program is going to replace those denials management coders.

6. Education is another big area for coding. They educate providers, even follow the doctors around in the hospital or when they see patients to see whether they are documenting everything they are doing so as to get payment.

Did this surprise you?  Provider education IS a big thing.  Coding is a full-time job.  It is VERY involved . . . so involved that no provider has the time to spend figuring it out on their own.   Providers and facilities use coders to educate providers on optimal documentation (if it isn't documented adequately, you can't bill for it).   Reimbursement is becoming more and more tight, so there is less room for error and loss. 

Provider education and consulting is one area where former MTs do very well.  Their familiarity with documentation and their wide exposure to different documentation practices gives them a huge advantage.  Think about it . . . how many different variations on any type of report have you encountered?   You already know that providers use different formats AND you know that they often put things "in the wrong place," so you're not at all bothered by differences.   You're not going to be flummoxed by acronyms. 

I'll give you an example of this.  What do you understand this provider to have said?  "HEENT:  NCAT. PERRLA. EOMI. NP WNL." 

A long-time coder who had never been an MT told me she did not know what it meant, therefore it was unacceptable.  It was also "too short"  ("There isn't any detail there.  It's all abbreviations.") and the provider exhibited laziness by not typing it out, therefore she wouldn't give him full credit for the work he did and she reduced the amount billed.  And she had not only never mentioned to any providers that she did this, but had been insisting that all the other coders do the same thing.

(And, no, I'm not worried that this coder will see herself.  I would not have used it had I not seen it over and over again.  There are at least 15 coders who will see themselves.)

As an MT, you're not going to have that problem.  You're also not going to have a problem pronouncing big medical words.  A lot of coders avoid getting into provider education because it requires talking to providers.  If they have never heard the words spoken, they don't know how to pronounce or use them.

Since we're on the topic of MTs in coding . . . if you've transcribed operative reports, you'll be good at something else, too.  You may have noticed that the name of the procedure that is dictated does not always . . . match . . . what was done.  It might identify the procedure in general, but doesn't usually mention the extra work involved due to some circumstance or other, the bleeding due to puncturing something, the fact that they had to use a big sheet of mesh, or that they did something that turned the procedure from what they said it was into something else entirely.    You're going to walk right in the door and be able to read that operative report, see exactly what they did, and code it, and you're not going to be the least bit disturbed by what the title of the procedure says or doesn't say.  In fact, you're probably not even going to look at it. 

Yes, as a matter of fact I was surprised! - MTLC

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes I was surprised, not by it being so important to educate the providers, but the fact that it can be done! In MT I come from a world where providers are unavailable and uneducatable.

Oh yeah, I can just picture an MT going around the dictation stations at the hospital telling residents to move the pager away from the phone, put down that can of Jolt! that makes them dictate like the singing chipmunks and go get a nap at 3:00 a.m. before they start a session of yawning dictations.

Then let's go around and alter the areas where doctors can dictate - like NOT right in the middle of the busiest nurses' station in the ER, in their car OR the bathroom!

Aaah, yes, I DREAM of educating providers! So maybe coding is my ticket. At the same time, I would nudge them regarding their dictation habits for the sake of my MT colleagues - which would also help revenue, no?

Which brings me to your other point about MT's knowledge helping them in coding. I have been reading coding forums (I even signed up for an inpatient coder Yahoo group). Just from the questions they ask, I am already looking at dictation differently. Yes, I AM noticing the parts of the procedure that they neglect to put in the list of what was done.

Also, a habit I have always had is to make sure to split up long narratives into shorter paragraphs, dividing along the lines of changing the subject, day or step in the procedure. When I have to go back and look at an old report for clarification on something, when it is just one long paragraph I have a hard time finding what I need. I can only imaging how coders feel.

Too bad there isn't better education and information sharing between coders and MTs. MTs can't change the dictation per se, but I bet there are ways to make the report look better for a coder to decipher, eh?

You wrote:
Provider education and consulting is one area where former MTs do very well. Their familiarity with documentation and their wide exposure to different documentation practices gives them a huge advantage. Think about it . . . how many different variations on any type of report have you encountered? You already know that providers use different formats AND you know that they often put things "in the wrong place," so you're not at all bothered by differences. You're not going to be flummoxed by acronyms. end quote.

I just love that point! Also I feel from an MT's perspective that we kind of "know" doctors because we listen to them all the time.

Surprise - to MTLC - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
With your analytical mind you will make a great coder, those researching skills are really valuable. I didn't know there was a Yahoo inpatient coding group and may need to check that out. I wanted to share with you that AAPC and AHIMA offer student memberships at discounted prices, you may have learned about that in your chapter meeting. I do agree with you that as an MT, since beginning my classes, I also look at my current job differently in regard to how MTs fit into the big health care documentation picture. Our background definitely comes in handy with our knowledge of terminology and anatomy, but once you start your classes you will find out that there is so much more to know. Educating doctors may be your dream job but don't be disappointed if you find yourself in more of an entry level spot when you finish school; very few people land a job like that without gaining some experience first.

Thanks for sharing all that you have learned. Good luck choosing a coding program.

Similar Messages:

Went To AAPC Chapter Mtg. Question Re CPC-H Vs CCS
May 31, 2010

I had a great time as a guest at a local AAPC chapter meeting last week. The subject was Coding as a Career which was perfect for a first-timer! I noticed that CPC has an "H" credential for hospital. How does that compare to the CCS credential which is for inpatient coding? The main speaker who started out with AHIMA credential and has added AAPC said that CPC is becoming more popular. She is a department head and has hiring responsibility for a large hospital/clinic system. She said they woul ...

Our Stuff Is Coded All Over The Hospital, And They Are Not Coders
Apr 23, 2013

Hey Everybody! I am in an entry-level coding position. I work at a very small rural hospital. I'm trying to figure out how things work and wrap my brain around the whole "cycle." So...here's where I'm puzzled. I ask different questions like, well, who does the E/M coding and the radiology coding and the pathology coding, etc. It just seems that there are many people who do lots of the coding in the hospital. I just want to know if this is normal. One person does inpatient ...

Next Installment Of AAPC Meeting Notes - Finding Work
Jun 01, 2010

First of all, they emphasized becoming certified. Most of the coders there had started out in some kind of billing or accounts receivable and kind of "fell into" coding. Several were interviewed who said that they couldn't believe how much they really didn't know until they studied for and got their certification. The primary speaker (who does hiring) said she would rather have certified coders than just those "with experience." It was recommended that students even try to get jobs in ...

Were MModal Coders At The Meeting?
Oct 16, 2012

I wonder how they are faring working for MModal.  Are they making any money? anyone know? ...

M-Modal Applied For Chapter 11
Mar 24, 2014

Announced on the news yesterday that M-Modal applied for chapter 11 for "restructuring." Makes you wonder about their financial well being, huh? ...

CSF Suspicious For Coccidioides Immitis With Suspicious " Fear A Roles" Being Seen.
Apr 02, 2012

? ...

New Stuff
Oct 13, 2009

How do you get the new stuff. Can't see anything earlier than 10/08 on the boards. ...

When Someone QAs Your Stuff......
Feb 14, 2011

Hi - when QA gives you feedback on a blank you had, are they supposed to (ethically is it proper) for them to continue on and reprimand you, for example,  with "I did find the same thing you blanked at Google.  You need to go to Google." or are they supposed to just correct, and then have your account manager talk to you?   Thanks! ...

ASR - How Does It Come Up With This Stuff?
Mar 19, 2012

ASR:  "She could not tolerate beta blockers or recent hamburgers for cardiomyopathy."   Dictated:  "She could not tolerate beta blockers or ACE inhibitors for cardiomyopathy."  ...

Where Is MM ASR Getting This Stuff??!
Jan 31, 2013

I just got a report where words were added that were essentially a diagnosis that could match the symptoms and treatment the patient had, but THE DOCTOR NEVER SAID THAT! Talk about adding words! Now MM ASR is diagnosing patients along with all the other extra words it adds. At least this string of words was obvious, but there are a lot of little care-changing words added that could be missed. It's amazing what it makes out of thin air when the doctor isn't dictating as it's ge ...

AAPC
Apr 10, 2010

How good are their coding classes?  I am looking for a accredited place.   Are there any other good places? ...

I Am Getting All New Stuff Today...sm.
Oct 19, 2009

first is open smart stitch sutures correct as is? and second is it times 2 or x2?  Never had this before. :-). tia.   ........This was treated with a subacromial decompression and repair of the rotator cuff using the open smart stitch sutures x 2. ...

FUNNY STUFF
Apr 22, 2010

The patient had been trying to wean himself sexually from the PCA. ...

Wow I Like How All The WMX Stuff Disappeared. Nm
Sep 19, 2010

nm ...

Legal MM Stuff
May 06, 2014

Hi all, Sorry if this has been discussed, but I don't come around here much anymore because I left about 2 years ago. However, I keep getting legal mumbo-jumbo paperwork regarding their bankruptcy. Do I need to do anything? I really can't quite decipher all this stuff, but I want to make sure I don't get summoned or something---unless they have a million dollars for me. Are you all just tossing it? Thanks! ...

I Just Want To Know How This Stuff Gets Printed
Dec 10, 2014

ARS: round ligament could not be seen or identified, did not seem to be coming "off a rope swing." Dictated: round ligament could not be seen or identified, did not seem to be coming "through." Clearly dictated, no slur, no pause, no nothing. Where does this come from? It is no longer funny, it's pretty darned sad. This program has been training for at least 10 years that I can remember, probably more ...

I Will Never Understand How Looking At QC Stuff
Jan 30, 2015

in FIESA is supposed to help my quality if I CAN'T go back and relisten to what I missed. I don't like taking somebody's else's word for it and I certainly don't like putting my initials that I reviewed it. If I missed it, I would be the first to admit it, but I don't ever really know if I missed something or not. I know it doesn't count against the QA score, but it's still aggravating. Sometimes, being able to listen a second time would make everything cl ...

AAPC Coding Course... SM
Nov 06, 2010

Has anyone taking the coding course through the AAPC?  I am thinking of taking the outpatient coding course.  It has to be good, right?  I mean they administer the tests for the certification, etc.  My choices right now are Andrews, Career Step, and AAPC and I really am leaning towards AAPC.  Just thought I would check in and see if anyone has any opinions on this course....  Thanks Guys!!! ...

AAPC Coding Course
Nov 12, 2010

I am an MT totally ready to move out of the house, off my 16-hour chair sitting for peanuts and on to the coding field.  I have researched for months, looked here for months, and came upon this website, as well.  Just seeing if anyone out there would recommend the course from AAPC?  Thanks a bunch for your input and advice!!  I don't want to waste my time/money or be scammed.. (: Happy Friday all! ...

Has Anyone Taking The AAPC Course?
Jan 05, 2011

I cannot afford the money to go to a college, so I was wondering how good the AAPC course is.  HAs anyone taken it?  What did you think? ...

AHIMA/AAPC
Feb 25, 2011

Anyone out there a member of AHIMA or AAPC?  Did you join after you became certified, or before?  What are your thoughts about joining?   ...

CPC Course Through AAPC Extension
Jun 12, 2011

I'm taking the CPC coding course through AAPC.  I have four months to complete it, but haven't done so yet.  It says on their website that I can get an extension for $29.95 a month, but I can't find anywhere to send it?  Can somebody please help?  Thank's! ...

Question About AAPC's CPC Course
Jul 07, 2013

So I've been thinking about the big transition from MT to coding myself. Has anyone done the AAPC's CPC course and if so, did you find the instructors helpful and that the course was beneficial? Did you find that employers accepted it as a good training program when you applied for a job? One thing I'm concerned about is that I don't see on their course where they are including anything about ICD-10 training. You would think since it's so close they'd go ahead and o ...

CareerStep Or AAPC
Feb 08, 2015

I know this question has been asked in the past, but most replies are 3-4 years old.  Looking at both programs, anybody taken either course?  Which would be the better of the two?  Also has anyone who has graduated from the CareerStep program gained employment with IOD? Thank you for your input! ...

Fair Standards Act/getting Together On This Stuff
Jan 04, 2010

Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place, but it seems like with all the screwing over that some of these companies do to us (and I know it's no accident that they don't encourage us to communicate amongst ourselves), few people here are suggesting some way of getting together to "encourage" the companies we work for to screw us over less, or at least less painfully. I know there's a Fair Standards act, for example, that supposedly covers even us (working on production). Whi ...

Legal Stuff For MTs--employees And ICs
Apr 26, 2010

I've read several of the posts regarding MTSOs requiring MTs to complete HITECH training on their own time, work over 40 hours without reporting it, or forcing ICs to adhere to a schedule, etc.  Although not an attorney, I'm very close to an employment attorney, and here is a summary of the laws.  Please check out the FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act) under www.dol.gov and check out your own state specifically.    EMPLOYEE STATUS:  1.  It is ...

If This Is ASR How Does It Make Up Such Believable Stuff
Aug 05, 2012

Like if your in a report that normally uses certain phrases and the doctor hesitates and says NOTHING for awhile, the ASR is putting in headings or text that could go with the report..its crazy...and this ASR with DCQ7 SUCKS ROYALLY...worse then the last version by a mile and a half...Progress huh? ...

Head's Up People With This PTO Stuff
Aug 06, 2013

something is about to blow up. Can't put my finger on it just yet, but be prepared. ...

Throwing Bad Stuff Back!
Jan 27, 2014

It is so frustrating to be working when only a few others are working and having the job#'s progressively increase, but then have a really horrible dictator's file come in that was hundreds of jobs before the rest in your box!  In other words, being thrown back. If you have your client set to show TAT, you can see it in the TAT too!  Like file 1 being at 18:05, file 2 being at 18:05, file 3 being at 18:03, but then file 4 being at 16:55.  If this happened with any of t ...

AHIMA (CCS) Versus AAPC (CPC) Which Is Better?
May 09, 2010

There is a lengthy debate as to which of two certifications CCS or CPC are good choices and which will yield better result. The AAPC webiste states that the CPC is a physician/provider-based coding cert. Hospitals are usually looking for facility-based coding certifications, as those credentials apply to their line of business & clinical setting.Hospital certified coders generally code in the hospital (e.g., CPC-H, CCS) and physician certified coders (e.g., CPC, CCS-P) usually code in provid ...