A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Does anyone know what medical record auditing is? - Is it similar to coding?

Posted: Jan 24, 2011

My community college offers this course and I would like to take it.  Smile

I thought it was a job only given to the highest level of coding experts - but I must be wrong if a course teaches it

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe I'm wrong. My understanding was that only the highest level of expert coders are able to do auditing. That level comes from plain old regular coding education and then becoming an expert over time and the right kind of experience.

It's possible that they have a different definition. I think that if you applied for a job as a coding auditor that their understanding might be the same as mine though...or not. Maybe someone else has more info.

Auditing - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
You are correct, only the most experienced coders are considered for auditing jobs; you have to know what you are doing because basically you are looking for a facilities' coding deficiencies. It would be possible to take an auditing course, I suppose, but only if you are already a seasoned coder. They are paid well, though.

I hope you already have national coding certification? - former auditer

[ In Reply To ..]
Unless you already have your coding certificate from either of the two national orgs, I really doubt you will be able to use the course other than as self improvement.

I was a coding auditer for a large hospital in the south. I went to 16 outlaying outpatient care centers to perform random auditing. Using an auditing program was essential for speed as it was a huge project to do this for that number of locales every 3 months. The doctors bonuses were based on the results, so accuracy was essential.

I also provided a call-in service for anyone in the system who had a coding question and provided coding education seminars to the physicians once a month.

I loved, loved, loved the job. I hated the common 4-hour daily commute and ended up leaving for that reason.

It was my first job after receiving my coding certification, however, I had several years of remote experience as a manager of an outpatient diagnostic facility where I was responsible for all the audits from the local insurance carriers, accounts receivable and the transcription department.

Similar Messages:

What Impact Will The Electronic Medical Record Have On The Medical Coding Career
Mar 20, 2011

Dear medical coding students and medical coders: I am starting The Andrew's School of Medical Coding on April 1, 2011 and I have I am looking forward to it. I want to ask you your opinions. I was at the dog park with my pug Cruncher yesterday and I was telling my friends that I was looking forward to starting school and one my friends who is an oncologist at NIH was advising me that I should think twice about starting medical coding as a profession because the implementation of the electron ...

Path Of The Medical Record
Mar 31, 2010

I'm trying to follow the path of a patient medical record. Pls correct me if I'm wrong. But here's my understanding: the doctor dictates (or inputs his data), then it goes to coding. From coding it goes to billing and from billing it goes to the designated payor (insurance company, medicare, etc).  So If my scenario is correct, then if there is not an accurate record, then it can't be coded correctly and it can't be billed correctly and the medical faciility does no ...

Another Medical Record Breach
Apr 05, 2010

Below is a link to another breach of medical records. We can directly blame the fact that today's medical records largely dwell on the internet. Lest some of you come back with "but without the internet, we would not have jobs", let me tell you that we got along without the internet previously and had higher pay because the offshore vultures could not get at the records and we were in higher demand. We can do it again.   http://valley.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/ ...

Medical Record Summarizer
Jul 11, 2012

Can someone explain to me what a medical record summarizer does and what kind of pay is it?  Thanks ...

Appalled At What A Medical Record Looks Like Now.
Jul 20, 2012

I began working for a doctor's office and we get referrals.  Some of these apparently are entered by the doctor.  It is the biggest mess I have ever seen.  Sentences are run together.  There is no punctuation.  Capitalization is either nonexistent or incorrect.  There are no paragraphs.  The report is just literally words run together for a whole page. Other offices have canned forms, and they fill in a few blanks.  The paragraphs and h ...

Medical Record Errors
Feb 20, 2014

If anyone is on Facebook, search for the "Healthcare Documentation Today" page.  There is an article posted regarding medical record errors.   It is a very interesting article regarding the other side of what we do.   ...

Electronic Medical Record
Jan 14, 2015

I have been corrected by QA twice on this one. The first time it was changed to capitals (Electronic Medical Record), so I started typing it that way. However, recently I had it changed to lower case (electronic medical record). Both times the sentence was the same... "Detailed in the electronic medical record."   I had always typed this lower case until it was changed the first time. I never did understand why it should be capitalized. How do you usually transcribe this one?  ...

S/l Vista Web Pathology Medical Record. Sm
Feb 01, 2011

Brushing biopsies were obtained with final pathology consistent with squamous cell carcinoma, according to the Vista web pathology medical record from the Montana VA.  ...

Electronic Medical Record No More Dictation, No More Transcription
Jun 26, 2014

Everywhere I turn I see nothing but EMR - No more dictation, no more transcription.  At an eye appointment today when I told the technician I'm a medical transcriptionist, she responded with "DO THEY STILL HAVE THAT?"  It's time to wake up and smell the coffee.  Transcription and even VR will not be needed by next year.  Walmart please hire me! ...

Please Refer To Medical Record On "health 2".
Mar 17, 2011

It seems to be some sort of electronic medical record program??  Can't document. ...

Auditing
Jan 23, 2015

if they review at all of our work but because most are 100 percent, they don't upload to Fiesa, just choose ones with 99 percent or below and occasionally throw in one that is 100 percent to make it look good!!  I do NOT trust anythng they do and would not put it past them. We have no way of listening to even make sure that what they audit us on is accurate.  I am so paranoid that I think they may even change things that we type to make it an error!  So disgusted..... ...

Qualified For Auditing
Mar 31, 2010

Since Audits are affecting us so deeply at this point and possibly costing us our livelihood, I began to wonder WHO is doing the auditing?  We have lost most of the decent QA people (or will as of tomorrow when nothing will be routed to QA anymore).  I know that several of the CTLs, CCMs or whatever the acronym of the hour is currently called, have been morons and sent out E-mails filled with grammatical and punctuation errors, and some have not even been MTs before.  Shouldn ...

Auditing Of Reports Sent To QA
May 12, 2010

Back in April I sent 2 charts to QA.  They were both audited.  You think those charts were chosen at random? I passed with 99-100%, but it's still the principle of it all that gets to me!   ...

Auditing Question
Sep 19, 2012

Since July 1, I have had over 40 documents with over 1800 lines audited. I'm curious to know if other Nuance MTs have had a similar experience and a similar volume of audits. ...

New Auditing Team
Oct 24, 2013

Alas, our 99.6% audits are no longer being done by our local BOB QA person but by an official MModal auditing team.  I wonder if they are as illiterate as the Mmodal corporate types.  Happy Halloween, now that's scary.  Kind of makes me picture the 3 witches in Macbeth, toiling over a pot of our work, creating mayhem. ...

Over Zealous Auditing
Nov 27, 2013

Does anyone else feel the assignment of error scores are excessive?  Do you get major errors for things that should be minor?  So disheartening.  ...

Anybody Else Notice That Auditing Seems Less?
Aug 23, 2014

Is it just me or is there less auditing being done??  Probably the calm before the storm.  I had gotten so used to nasty emails every one but haven't had any at all which is really unusual. ...

Who Is Left Who Can Perform 99.6% Auditing On Us?
Nov 09, 2013

Seriously, the only person I trusted for corrections was my QC.  If they are not going to be doing the audits, who is?  MMEs are just upper grade MTs who were suckered into working for less pay.  MModal has fired/laid off/chased off most of their competent MTs.   I can hardly wait until I get my first (and probably last) required audit.  A 99.6% accuracy requirement from this company of corporate incompetents is hysterically funny. ...

Notice About Auditing Jobs
Dec 04, 2014

Guess they are planning on upping the amount of QA they do.  Memo listed 6 open QA jobs.  You can bet they are going to try to keep us in the lower section on that grid if possible. ...

Does Anyone Know The Pay For The Advertised Auditing Jobs?
Dec 08, 2014

Just wondering if it's worth the transition in this company or if I should get away from Scruance entirely. (I love that word. Thank you to the original author.) To me, the fact that they are advertising for MANY auditors is extremely telling. I don't buy the 1% to 2% of a day's reports being audited. I think it will be much higher than that in order to SCREW us even more. ...

More Inconsistency With Post-Auditing...
Jan 04, 2015

Late last week I recieved an email communication about how they will only audit reports that were transcribed/edited during the current work week, only to log on this morning (I'm off Fri and Sat, so Sun morning is the 1st day of my week) to find that I had a post audit score below 99% that was audited on Saturday, so obviously it was edited last week sometime.  If I don't start my week until Sunday, how on earth can they audit a report on Saturday that was submitted the week prio ...

Constant Auditing Until Can't Even Work Anymore
Jan 20, 2014

I currently work for one of the nicest and kindest companies and that are known for treating their employees with respect and kindness, hardly. I have been doing this for 15 years now and doing at home for 4 years and never had this problem. I being constantly picked apart and audited and t hreatened that I'm physically sick and so nervous to work that I can't make enough to pay the bills anymore. Now I'm even on 100% QA which decreases my pay even more. They have never showed me ...

OTI/Record One
Sep 26, 2014

So, we can stay with Records One but just with no work promised except for as soon as it becomes available. Sounds promising. I wish promises paid my bills. It is a sad day for me. ...

Do You Write Down The Job # For Your Record....or
May 03, 2012

just do along and work?  I was writing job # and which hospital and work type but its time consuming and I don't see the point because I hope not to be here much longer.  ...

For The Record Article About MT Pay
Sep 11, 2012

http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/091012p22.shtml   ...

Job Offering On For The Record
Mar 21, 2014

See link below... ...

For The Record Magazine
Mar 27, 2015

There's a very well-written article in the newest edition, called Life on the Low End of the Pay Scale, regarding pay for transcription, current and past, how WE got to where we are now, and MTSOs' role. In essence, a good way to start us back to better income is to refuse the low pay that lots of companies offer. We have to raise our bar, no one will do it for us.  ...

Not To Sound Like A Broken Record, But
Oct 29, 2010

what is the best school to go to (online) for becoming a coder?  I have been an MT for 15 years and tired of the feast/famine.  Is there financial aid available?  I cannot afford even $250 down and $100 a month.  Also, are there any companies that hire coders to work at home right out of school?  Thanks for any help!! ...

For The Record, MTSOs Who Are NOT Greedy...
Nov 28, 2011

I want to make it clear that this is not a rail against all MTSOs; there are MTSO's still out there who are NOTmotivated by greed, and who continue to pay their employees very well.I have worked for companies which historically have paid employees much higher CPL than other companies - Keystrokes and MTP (both based in Illinois, owned by former MTs, and as far as I know, all work still on US soil) - and several of these companies actually DO pay employees "more than fair" hou ...

Hate To Sound Like A Broken Record
Jul 15, 2010

but when is next pay day AND could someone tell me where on MQCentral I can find the pay schedule for 2010?   Thanks so much. ...