A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Electronic medical record No more dictation, no more transcription - Pollyanna

Posted: Jun 26, 2014

Everywhere I turn I see nothing but EMR - No more dictation, no more transcription.  At an eye appointment today when I told the technician I'm a medical transcriptionist, she responded with "DO THEY STILL HAVE THAT?"  It's time to wake up and smell the coffee.  Transcription and even VR will not be needed by next year.  Walmart please hire me!

Just waking up now? It's been headed here the - last 5 or so years. Just in the

[ In Reply To ..]
final stretch now.

Many still in denial though. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I was on a Facebook forum recently and a student asked how accurate the accounts of losing work due to offshoring, VR, and EMR were. I was shocked everyone told her not to worry, there were a ton of jobs still, that VR would never replace MTs, etc. Many fail to see the writing on the wall. I, unfortunately, just lost my account to EMR without any warning at all, just woke up to no work one day. The jobs I have all been offered are way below the pay I was making, so think it is now my time to make my exit. Luckily, started another business last year in my spare time as I knew MT wasn't going to last forever, so I have something to fall back on now.

EMR - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for N and had an account that "promised" not to offshore, but it has now gone to EMR. No more work on this account. You are correct, if work is not going overseas then it is going to EMR.

Bet I don't last much longer and it might just be a blessing!!

Similar Messages:

What Impact Will The Electronic Medical Record Have On The Medical Coding Career
Mar 20, 2011

Dear medical coding students and medical coders: I am starting The Andrew's School of Medical Coding on April 1, 2011 and I have I am looking forward to it. I want to ask you your opinions. I was at the dog park with my pug Cruncher yesterday and I was telling my friends that I was looking forward to starting school and one my friends who is an oncologist at NIH was advising me that I should think twice about starting medical coding as a profession because the implementation of the electron ...

Electronic Medical Record
Jan 14, 2015

I have been corrected by QA twice on this one. The first time it was changed to capitals (Electronic Medical Record), so I started typing it that way. However, recently I had it changed to lower case (electronic medical record). Both times the sentence was the same... "Detailed in the electronic medical record."   I had always typed this lower case until it was changed the first time. I never did understand why it should be capitalized. How do you usually transcribe this one?  ...

Working With The Electronic Health Record (EHR)?
May 12, 2011

I know that transcriptionists at Veterans' Hospitals have used the EHR for years and it works really well at VA. Now it seems that you hear about it all the time, but every single description is different from every other one. Nobody seems to know anything. When I ask how it works in other hospitals and clinics or with MTSOs, I hear that it's really no big deal. You just transribe like you always have. If each system is different, I guess what I want to know is, are any of you using it ...

Boss Let It Slip My Hospital Account Is Going To Electronic Record...
Jan 24, 2011

I've been at this midsized company for about 2 years.  As many as 50 of us work this large account.  I do acute care.  Would like to hear from anybody who's experienced this; how long till this severely (?) affects us?  Can you give me a play-by-play?  I figure the boss won't be telling us much of anything along the way.  ...

Any Recent Information On Either Electronic Medical Transcription In Coral Gables Or Alpha Transcrip
Aug 12, 2011

i  have recently been olffered employment and started working for both companies; however, I  am a bit leery still of Alpha according to what I am reading in the archives.  I was told by the recruiter at Alpha (after reading some of the posts here) that they do not pay on VBC.  I started training with them on Tuesday on a non-VA account and of course the few reports I got were all SR.  I am not really happy with this aspect, because I feel at 8/4,  I will ...

Path Of The Medical Record
Mar 31, 2010

I'm trying to follow the path of a patient medical record. Pls correct me if I'm wrong. But here's my understanding: the doctor dictates (or inputs his data), then it goes to coding. From coding it goes to billing and from billing it goes to the designated payor (insurance company, medicare, etc).  So If my scenario is correct, then if there is not an accurate record, then it can't be coded correctly and it can't be billed correctly and the medical faciility does no ...

Another Medical Record Breach
Apr 05, 2010

Below is a link to another breach of medical records. We can directly blame the fact that today's medical records largely dwell on the internet. Lest some of you come back with "but without the internet, we would not have jobs", let me tell you that we got along without the internet previously and had higher pay because the offshore vultures could not get at the records and we were in higher demand. We can do it again.   http://valley.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/ ...

Does Anyone Know What Medical Record Auditing Is?
Jan 24, 2011

My community college offers this course and I would like to take it.   ...

Medical Record Summarizer
Jul 11, 2012

Can someone explain to me what a medical record summarizer does and what kind of pay is it?  Thanks ...

Appalled At What A Medical Record Looks Like Now.
Jul 20, 2012

I began working for a doctor's office and we get referrals.  Some of these apparently are entered by the doctor.  It is the biggest mess I have ever seen.  Sentences are run together.  There is no punctuation.  Capitalization is either nonexistent or incorrect.  There are no paragraphs.  The report is just literally words run together for a whole page. Other offices have canned forms, and they fill in a few blanks.  The paragraphs and h ...

Medical Record Errors
Feb 20, 2014

If anyone is on Facebook, search for the "Healthcare Documentation Today" page.  There is an article posted regarding medical record errors.   It is a very interesting article regarding the other side of what we do.   ...

What's The Best Electronic Medical Dictionary?
Nov 29, 2011

I'm looking to purchase a good medical dictionary to incorporate into my word program.  Anyone using one?  You can email me since we can't name names here.   Thanks ! ...

What Are Electronic Medical Records?
Sep 13, 2012

Would anyone who does EMR editing be willing to share their experiences with me?  Is EMR editing enjoyable, how does it compare to traditional QA editing, what does the job entail, etc? Thank you! ...

What Is Electronic Medical Records?
Jun 27, 2013

What is electronic medical records?  Goodwill is teaching a 3 month class starting soon.  I have heard about a government mandated thing that doctors have to go electronic by Jan. 2014, but not much more than that.  I know someone could shed some light.  I am thinking of taking the class, but don't know if it would be worth it.  Although, I think I could sleep through the medical transcription portions, LOL. ...

S/l Vista Web Pathology Medical Record. Sm
Feb 01, 2011

Brushing biopsies were obtained with final pathology consistent with squamous cell carcinoma, according to the Vista web pathology medical record from the Montana VA.  ...

What Is The Status Of Electronic Medical Records
Dec 28, 2010

what is the status of EMR...is it going to impact MT industry ...

Electronic Medical Records Came In And We Were Immediately Out Of A Job
Jul 26, 2012

I don't see much talk about EMR taking over the MTs job.  This has happened to me with my last three companies (small transcription companies) that I have worked for.  With my last job we had an account with a large hospital that had a cardiology group we transcribed for.  EMR came in and we were immediately out of a job.  Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience...pretty much sucks  ...

Electronic Medical Records Become Very Hot Since They Will Become Mandatory By 2014
Dec 22, 2009

How many amongst you have used any of the popular EMRs like practice partner(http://www.practicepartner.com),infraware (www.infraware.com). EMRs have suddenly become very hot since they will become mandatory by 2014. I had read some where that there are some security issues with them.What do you think are pros and cons with EMRs?     ...

Obama Is Really Pushing Electronic Medical Records
Jul 30, 2011

I have heard and read that Obama is really pushing the EMR, and by the year 2014, he wants all hospitals/clinics to implement this or else be taxed. He also is supposed to be offering grants and incentives if they do also. So any hospital or physician office that doesn't will be taxed more and will not get incentives, grants, etc. So I think most will try it cause they don't want more taxes and want the incentives, etc. So where does that leave us? If you work for a hospital, what ...

Transcribing Directly Into Electronic Medical Records
Oct 24, 2011

Anyone out there transcribing directly into EMR?  I'm wondering about using text expanders in EMR and, how are you counting lines in EMR?  Or do you know of anywhere that addresses these issues?  Thanks! ...

Electronic Medical Records And HIPAA Compliance
Nov 30, 2011

My sister has recently taken on the task of medical record compliance at her husband's dental office.  They are electronic (just going that way), and she is trying to be HIPAA compliant.  I know this doesn't concern transcription, but I though maybe someone has an MR person in their office who could direct her to a blog, or website where she could get information.  Thanks! ...

Electronic Medical Records Will Be Forced Onto Doctors
Aug 03, 2012

The family practice I go to is using this. The doctor asks questions and constantly inputs into his PC tablet as we speak. Its not looking good for the MT field. Anyone else worried? I worked on a project transferring hospital charts from Legacy to Epic. Once they were done with using us for that project, we were let go with no notice. Just thinking my time is running out and I need to get to medical coding school fast! Then I am worried will medical coding too be forced onto the doctors ...

Good Electronic Medical Dictionary Other Than Stedmans
Sep 24, 2012

Does anybody know of a good electronic medical dictionary on CD-ROM?  Thank you!  ...

Copying Common In Electronic Medical Records Sm
Jan 05, 2013

http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/nm/copying-common-in-electronic-medical-records ...

Electronic Medical Records Same As Voice Reconigition?
Apr 16, 2013

Is EMR the same as voice reconigition? ...

Electronic Transcription
May 23, 2014

I recently responded to a job offer for an "Electronic Medical Transcriptionist."  Turned out it was a Jill-of-all-trades position in a foot doctor practice, including taking x-rays (?) and filling in at the front desk.  What makes a job electronic as opposed to a regular transcriptionist.  Sorry to be ill-informed, but I don't know the difference.  TIA! ...

Any Transcription Services Hire People With A Record?
Dec 05, 2014

I have been doing transcription for 15 years.  My youngest daughter got into some trouble as a teen and has a record.  She is having a hard time finding work in our rural community.  I could probably train her at home to be a transcriptionist and help her, but just curious if anyone knows if any of the companies hire someone with a felony?  Thanks for any input :)  If you have any other ideas, it would be great.  FYI, she also has bipolar type 1, so working at home ...

Please Refer To Medical Record On "health 2".
Mar 17, 2011

It seems to be some sort of electronic medical record program??  Can't document. ...

MDI- Medical Dictation Services, Inc.
Jan 01, 2013

Anyone here work for MDI- Medical Dictation Services, Inc.? I did years ago, and I'm filling out an employment application. I need to know their contact number and zip code. It seems like there was something about them merging with Transcend last year or so, so are they known as Transcend now? Thanks so much for any help you can give. I'm googling it but not having much luck. ...

Medical Transcription At Home To Become A Medical Scribe?
Jan 20, 2015

Has anybody left medical transcription at home to become a medical scribe?  I have an opportunity to do so but there aren't any scribes currently in my area and I don't know anyone who has worked as a scribe before.  The scribe position starting pay is almost double what I make as an MT per hour so it is very tempting, I just don't know much about it. ...