A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Medical coding is so difficult? - curious

Posted: Mar 15, 2014

Where I work, I do prior auths for various tests and procedures that the physicians order. We are in EPIC and in the patient's chart, all the diagnoses have the codes listed right after them and any new diagnoses listed on the orders also include the code. So when I go to start the prior auth, the only codes I have to look up are the CPT codes for the test, which are referenced rather easily in the CPT coding book. Just the other day I had to get pre-determination for testing on a patient that required lots of diagnoses codes (again all in EPIC). I know our coders enter a lot of this information, but our doctors and nurses do as well when they put those orders in for new diagnoses not yet in the patient's chart. So my question is why do people say coding is so difficult? There are reference books for the diagnoses codes and CPT codes and with all the prior authorizations and pre-determinations that insurance companies require, if a person has a problem with their medical bill, it doesn't necessarily mean it's the coders fault because we have had doctors enter wrong code types and the patient calls after they receive the bill and if in fact it's wrong, the doctors WILL change it. I read posts below where they were talking about 95% accuracy ratings for coders and how it can impact your bill. So I was hoping someone could elaborate on that as well as elaborate on why they feel there are so many gray areas in coding. I am not a coder by the way, getting prior auths and pre-determinations are just a part of my job description as a medical office assistant.

Gee, I was hoping to hear more about these - gray areas and billing issues.

[ In Reply To ..]

Here is an idea. Ask that question on the coding board. - I am sure you will get more intelligent answers.

[ In Reply To ..]
That is if you dare.

I posted it here - because

[ In Reply To ..]
Of posts below from threads that had gotten too long to follow. Every since MModal announced their coding program, this board has been flooded with coding threads and apparently coders as well. I was hoping to hear more from those that prompt me to start this thread. Apparently they've moved on. And what do you mean by if I dare?

Just checked the coding board and there has been more - action on this board than

[ In Reply To ..]
That one. Nobody posted over there at all today, seems all the coders have migrated to this board lately.

Other Coding Board?? - luvtotype

[ In Reply To ..]
Probably a stupid question on my part, but I thought that this is the only Coding/Medical Billing board on MT Stars. What coding board are you referring to?
This started out on the M+Modal board, - but got moved here
[ In Reply To ..]

Nomsg

There are various difficulties - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
with various types of reports. I used to work side by side with coders. Apparently on an op report, you get to charge extra for an extra incision. Don't know about an extension of an incision. As I noted before, just as clinic notes and routine procedures are easy for MTs, they are easy for coders. Just as certain procedures and operations can be difficult for MTs, they can be difficult for coders. Coders generate the income, so everything they do needs to be absolutely precise down to the pennies.

Answer - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
The answer is that what the doctors, nurses, and you are doing, while it involves codes, is not the job of coding. It is just looking up codes.

Because you don't understand what coders actually do, especially a hospital setting, it is natural that you would think that what you DO see is "coding." Probably, everyone is calling it "coding," too, confusing things further.

A lot of what you see may be inaccurate. If your dctors change diagnoses after the patient gets a denial from his insurance, something is inaccurate somewhere. This inaccuracy is not such a critical factor at your office. Keep in mind, though, that you have apparently never seen Medicare come in to review your records or demand repayment of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Coding in offices is easier because the scope of it is limited. It is more repetitive. You are just looking up test codes, which is relatively easy. You are just looking up diagnosis codes, and your office is unlikely to have anything terribly complex or to state it in a complex fashion, making it easier. You are also unaware if what you are doing is correct or not.

Looking up codes, however, isn't "coding" any more than looking up a phone number is making a call or getting a shopping cart from the corral is doing grocery shopping. Those are components of it, but they aren't the WHOLE activity.

Looking up codes is just a small function. We can do that with a book, or software, or maybe the EHR provides choices. Or, we can just know what the code is. Coders learn how to do this correctly, but that isn't the whole job. It is just a skill, just as being able to write letters of the alphabet is a small skill involved in writing sentences and paragraphs.

Coding is not entirely focused on billing, as it is in your office. On a larger scale, it affects very complex hospital revenue measures, national disease reporting and statistics, the tracking and monitoring of cancer, infectious diseases, birth defects, influenza, and medical research. Even when it is done for billing, that type of coding is much more complex.

That type of coding is not done by dropping in a number to match a medical word or the name of a test.

The code assignment done in offices can be learned with a chapter in a medical billing book. The coding done in hospitals and large facilities, especially at the auditing and compliance review levels, requires the equivalent of a year of college courses, at a minimum, and can require 4-year degree. There are some jobs that require a master's.

Here is the difference. In an office, you have a diagnosis and look up the matching number. You have the name of a test, like CBC or CXR, and you look up the matching number. Diagnosis --> number. Test name --> number. And, your doctor tells you the level of service he provided.

A coder in an extensive outpatient setting reads the documentation to identify the diagnoses, levels the service based on medical necessity and content of the documentation, identifies anything that should have been documented but wasn't, and balances it all with guidance from several different sources, and submits definitive coding. The coder is professionally responsible for this. Doctors and billers don't come along and change it. These coders are also responsible for providing education to doctors on their coding and documentation.

Inpatient coders do much the same thing, but on a far more extensive level. They code entire inpatient stays, reading entire records. They identify the principal diagnosis and sequence codes using many pages of rules and guidelines. They examine test results to identify conditions that should have been documented but were not. They determine the correct procedure from the content of the operative report, not the title. They are even more responsible for this than the outpatient coders, and it is very unlikely that anyone changes what they do. This type of coding has very far-reaching implications for the hospital and nationally.

Sorry, that did have paragraphs, but - they dont show.

[ In Reply To ..]
Nm

Paragraphs that dont show? Hmmm, how - odd, nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

No One I work with is calling this coding. - I know full well there is a

[ In Reply To ..]
Difference. I didn't make it much further than the first few sentences of your posts because its so bunched together and since it's so much, I'm sure it will be hard to follow. But I wanted to make it clear that I do know my job is NOT coding.

Sorry it was inconvenient - Not my intent

[ In Reply To ..]
I am sorry that post ended up that way. I even put extra lines between the paragraphs, but they still don't show up. I have tried several times to fix it.

I am disappointed because I spent a lot of time on that trying to explain what coding is. It is disappointing because you feel it is inconvenient, but it is especially disappointing because you seem to have taken offense to it without reading it.

Nowhere did I criticize you or your work, so I am mystified as to how you could have objected.

I am using a tablet, too, which is likely the problem. Perhaps there is someone who can cut and paste it into a new post and add some paragraphs in appropriate places. I would appreciate it.
I very much appreciated your explanation - MTLC
[ In Reply To ..]
I have pieced together from other information on this board the difference between coding and looking up codes, but I really enjoyed reading your detailed response. The illustrations about the phone book, shopping cart, etc., were also helpful.

I am helped to see the complexity of coding.

Thanks!
Thank you. I no longer feel that I wasted - my time.
[ In Reply To ..]
You made me feel better.

Excellent post, even without the paragraphs. - Laurie G.

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you!

Thank you, too. - Coder. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
Nm

Also, about that 95% - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It isn't that coders have 95% accuracy ratings.

Rather, it is that 95% is the minimum acceptable accuracy for many facilities. For others, 98% is the minimum, but most compliance plans recognize the inherent difficulty with coding and accept 95%. The MINIMUM. Most coders exceed that. Landing ON it is usually a warning sign. Anything below that necessitates a corrective action plan.

I can

Okay, I understand and agree - with this post and

[ In Reply To ..]
This is actually the type of response I was hoping to see as I had read some things in previous posts, on the mmodal board which prompt me to start this thread and originally, I posted it there as the people I was trying to hear from would (one in particular) could have learned something from this response.

I'm not saying I disagree with the first post, because I really didn't follow it well and couldn't really elaborate on my questions. I'm sorry, but I use either my phone or my tablet and long posts without paragraphs are hard for me to follow.

Gray areas in coding - Not ready for prime time

[ In Reply To ..]
OP, you said yourself that you are not a coder. In addition to those codes the physicians choose, there are CPT modifiers that have to be assigned as well as DRG codes for Medicare patients that when not done correctly will cause the payment to be denied. The difference between 95% accuracy and 99% accuracy could mean a bill getting held up by the insurance company and the facility not being paid in a timely manner. If something gets missed and is not coded, that is also lost revenue. If documentation is missing from a chart, sometimes coders need to follow up on that with the provider in order to code the chart. Where I work, doctors don't fix their mistakes. It comes to the coders and they have to follow through on it. We have people who are involved with providing coding in-service to the providers to help them when there are deficiencies. There cannot be "gray areas" because there is only one correct code. New coders (I did this myself when I was in school) sometimes have a tendency to over code and that could constitute fraud if someone thinks it was done to try to collect more money for the facility. Facilities have coding audits and coders can be found liable, which is why accuracy is a huge deal. I can only speak to the ambulatory care side because that is where I work, but in hospitals coders do much, much more.

OP here again - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
You said "there cannot be gray areas because there is only one code."

I agree with this as well and totally comprehend that. Again, this all originated from posts on the MM board from people saying they were coders. A true coder knows there are no gray areas.

There were 3 questions in my original post, 1 for my own clarification which was the first question and the other 2 were asked based on previous misinformation being posted by people claiming to be coders on MM board.

RE: To not being ready for prime time, no I'm not and never claimed to be. I know my job is not the same as a coder. I am a medical office assistant (and former MT). I do prior auths and get pre-determinations, which involve codes, but I never said it was the same as being a coder and I have no intention on becoming a coder.

There must be more than one person going by - the name "coder" sm

[ In Reply To ..]
On the MM board the person going by "Coder" is adamantly saying there are gray areas.

I understand - Not ready for prime time

[ In Reply To ..]
I was trying to address your question in regard to the accuracy requirements. Basically, it sounded as if you thought all there was to coding was looking something up in a book or in the Epic data base, I was trying to explain that there was more to the job than you realize.

I think the fact that some coders think there are gray areas - also explains their 95% accuracy rate

[ In Reply To ..]
The doctors and nurses are notorious for picking wrong codes or omitting them entirely. A coder can look through a chart and find codes that were missed, and at least with what I do, that happens a lot. That can really add up to a lot of money. I don't do inpatient coding, but that is a whole other ballgame as far as difficulty.

Lets not misrepresent what was said, ok? - This was explained already.

[ In Reply To ..]
No one ever said that coders' accuracy WAS 95%.

We said that the usual expectation is that they maintain AT LEAST 95%. That is the minimum allowable. Most exceed it considerably.

If you choose to believe that this represents widespread mediocrity, more power to you.

It does not represent mediocrity, nor does it have any relationship whatsoever to whatever standards MTs are held to.

Things are a lot more clear coding outpatient than inpatient, so let's not judge what we don't know.

And I *am* the original coder who was posting in this topic when it was on the MM board.

If you aren't a coder you don't have a clue - I am not a coder.
[ In Reply To ..]
I have only a passing acquaintance with what coders do, which is why I think some of the MTs yearning to be one of the 60 MModal coder trainees haven't got a CLUE what goes into coding or what they are getting themselves into.

For all I know, or anyone not a coder knows, a 95% could be for 1 error. The calculations have no resemblance (I am guessing) to how MTs get QA'd.

Anyway, I acknowledge my ignorance.
Well, I am, and there ARE gray areas in coding. - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
There are so many gray areas in coding it looks like fog.

I'll go as far as saying that if you can't see those gray areas you are either very inexperienced, very poorly trained, or channeling Pollyanna.

As for those MM MTs who are applying for the coding positions, I am sure they don't have a clue what they are getting into, but I do, and what they are getting into is doable, worthwhile, pays well, and nobody's business but their own. We don't need to warn them about it.

It is always a good practice not to preach on what you don't know.
You apparently aren't a reader either. - I was backing you up.
[ In Reply To ..]
Dang, you just want to be mad and argue.

You just went OFF on a non-coder backing you up!!! That thread yesterday included a bunch of NON coders who don't know what you do.

Whatever. It's obvious you just want to be angry, sorry to interrupt.
"If you arent a coder you dont have a clue??" - ??
[ In Reply To ..]
NM
Yeah, that's right, if you aren't a coder - you do not know what they do
[ In Reply To ..]
Is that not a fact??

I didn't say anything wrong. If you are not a coder, how would you know what they do and what the requirements are and why. Heck, even if you are a coder, you don't know the QA requirements for other facilities. The whole argument kind of seems ridiculous on its face actually.

As an MT, you don't know what the QA numbers mean. You don't know what and how much an error is charged at for QA.

I am not a coder. There could not only be gray areas, there could be pink and purple ones too.

I participated in yesterday's thread as an MT when it was on the MModal board. Just trying to apologize for even saying anything yesterday about the 95% or gray areas.

Pardon me for that.
Example - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
Let's say 10 of your cases are reviewed. If one contains an error, your accuracy rate is 90%.

Or, possibly, 10 of your cases are reviewed for procedure code errors. Let's say there are 20 procedure codes in all. If one is wrong, your accuracy is 95%.

See how fast the number drops? The only way to, maybe, avoid that is to audit larger numbers of cases, which is too labor-intensive.

Wow, that is some tough QA. - Gives perspective.
[ In Reply To ..]
I am an MT so will leave the coding board now, but that was really great insight. Thank you.

I have thought about going to school for coding but it looks very tough and like it requires a certain personality (do NOT take that as an insult), meaning very detail and number oriented. I am more a word person.

I bid you peace coder ladies/gents.
No, it is more word oriented!!!!! - Not numbers at all
[ In Reply To ..]
Nm
Really? See, I definitely have NO clue what you do. - But I have been asked to leave.
[ In Reply To ..]
this board, so I hang my head in shame as I depart for ever daring to enter the coder board.

No, you didn't say anything wrong - Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
There is a frequent poster on the coding board who is very hostile. She has called me not a coder or an uneducated coder so many times it has lost all meaning to me. Apologies -- we aren't all like that. Best luck if you decide to go the coding route -- or even if you don't!
LOL!!! Now they will think you and I are the same - SM
[ In Reply To ..]
I just posted a response in this thread that said dang, calm down. I am a non-coder too who got caught up in the MM threads. I called myself rooting for the coders too, as I thought there were a lot of perpetrators faking to be coders...LOL!!!
Sorry - Sigh
[ In Reply To ..]
I am just really irritated. I wrote that post above this morning, couldn't get it to show the paragraphs, worked 10 hours, and came home to hear that the person who asked the question couldn't be bothered. Ugh.

Well, at least with this being on the coding board, we are spared the attentions of the troll.
Oh DANG. I hate when my other personality - slips up and replies back to myself
[ In Reply To ..]

At least I guess I must have a multiple personality disorder because I have been involved in several threads where "we" were accused of being all one person responding.

Yup, I see you in there sometimes! - lol
[ In Reply To ..]
NM
Whatever...this is getting really childish. - Not taking the bait.
[ In Reply To ..]
But gotta wonder, which person are you? Now that you mention it, you sound like you're one in the same.
Actually, the 2 posters who used the word dang both - posted at 8:24 sharp. It is
[ In Reply To ..]
Impossible for one person to post a response to 2 different people at the same time. Look at both posts and you will see what I'm talking about.
Yes, I was one of the dang's - multiple personality post was facetious
[ In Reply To ..]
I am tired of the accusation of one person posting. It is just a way for superior-thinking people to shut others down. It is annoying.
You're one of the superior thinkers, you by no means - sounded like a dummy &
[ In Reply To ..]
Stated your case very well.
You all look like a bunch of bullies ganging up on Coder. - Who just will not listen.
[ In Reply To ..]
A large lot of you are not coders, but yet you make statements like the OP: "a true coder knows there are no gray areas in coding" - really and how on earth would you "know" that? You can't possibly "know" that because it patently is not true.

Coder tries to speak reason, you will not listen, and these message boards look a mess because a bunch of people want to proclaim things that they know nothing about. Aaaaaand that is all. I am out. Not adding any more to the mess than I admittedly now have with this post.
This is getting confusing. - shaking my head.
[ In Reply To ..]
Will the real coders please stand up?
Wait, wait, wait - You just spent all of this time
[ In Reply To ..]
Saying that MModal would teach the AAPC program because they HAD to, there was nothing else for them to teach, that as long as you were able to get your certification that that was all that mattered, and now you are going to call a coder "poorly trained?" How is that possible? You said that certification is required, so you know she is certified -- how can she be poorly trained if there are no differences between training between coders?
What you are missing here is that this stemmed from - the MM board and that was
[ In Reply To ..]
Indeed posted by someone in a thread over there. This thread was moved here and I think the coder you are responding to is speaking on her own experience.
Dang, calm down. Like we knew you were the original - poster.
[ In Reply To ..]
NM
I do not agree that 95 percent is industry standard - Yes, a coder
[ In Reply To ..]
Our facility is 97 percent. Of course that is minimum. I have nothing else to say, as nothing else on this convoluted thread made enough sense to argue with. Yes, I do outpatient coding, by the way and while there are no "low level coders" you sure treat everyone you come into contact with as lower than you. As for me, personally, I don't code "gray". It's my a$$ on the line. Take the risk if you want.
Now that's what I'm talking about. - You said a mouth full.
[ In Reply To ..]
Done with this thread.
What an interesting group of people. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Anyone Schooling At Andrews? How Difficult Is The Coding Program?
May 13, 2010

I would LOVe to hear from anyone in the ANdrews School for medical coding!!  ...

I Have A Question. I Work For A Very Difficult Account With Very Difficult ESLs. Other People Have
Jan 30, 2014

to dump these reports so the owner doesnt have to pay QA for them because they cant do them at all.  They QA the whole report almost.  I am totally burnt out with this and not sure what to do.  Any ideas out there. ...

What Impact Will The Electronic Medical Record Have On The Medical Coding Career
Mar 20, 2011

Dear medical coding students and medical coders: I am starting The Andrew's School of Medical Coding on April 1, 2011 and I have I am looking forward to it. I want to ask you your opinions. I was at the dog park with my pug Cruncher yesterday and I was telling my friends that I was looking forward to starting school and one my friends who is an oncologist at NIH was advising me that I should think twice about starting medical coding as a profession because the implementation of the electron ...

Going From MT To Medical Coding
Feb 04, 2010

Any informatioin regarding medical coding and billing? I am thinking about going back to school. I recently lost my MT job. Thanks! ...

Looking For The Medical Coding Job
Sep 29, 2013

Hi everyone   I am an experienced medical coder(3 years) from India. Got CPC certification.  Is there any opportunity for me to work in US. If yes,  How should i proceed with?...What are the requirements.....Currently iam working in India... Kindly reply ...

Medical Coding Help!!
May 14, 2014

Hi I am currently enrolled in coding and scheduled for my CPC exam next month. I am so confused with all of it!! I really don't understand what you are supposed to code exactly from a note? Do you code everything, pmh, social history, procedures, impression, diagnoses? This is the hardest part for me, is knowing exactly what I am supposed to code. I had thought that it was just mainly the procedures and the disagnoses or impression, but sometimes it seems to be things listed in the whole r ...

Medical Coding Outside The US
Sep 17, 2014

Hello! I am hoping someone can help me! I am currently a remote coder for a hospital in NC. I am going to be moving to Costa Rica next year and am trying to find a contract company that will allow me to work outside the US. When I started my search I didn't think it would be hard, I figured with remote positons becoming so popular it wouldn't matter what country I was working in as long as I can connect to the internet. Unfortunately, I've called and emailed many companies and the ...

Has Anybody Been Trained To Do Medical Coding And Do They Like It?
Nov 10, 2010

Has anybody been trained to do medical coding and do they like it?  I am trying to figure out where to go next since transciption no longer pays the bills and I am sick of sitting down for 12 hours a day.  I am ready to work away from home.  I just do not want to invest time and money in classes where I cannot get a job or where the pay is worse that what we make now.  ...

Is Medical Coding A Better Way To Go Now Rather Than Transcription?
Mar 29, 2011

Is medical coding now a better way to go rather than transcription? ...

Career In Medical Coding?
Jul 22, 2011

I am considering training for medical coding but I don't want to spend the $$ if in a few years that industry goes the way of medical transcription with computers taking over our jobs and putting us out of work. I would welcome any and all information and opinions on this as well as recommendations for coding programs to enroll in. ...

Medical Coding Schools
Jun 06, 2012

I have been researching schools & certifications for coding and getting a bit overwhelmed! I have pretty much decided on an online course but now to decide which one? From reading the forums i hear Andrews college is pretty good but this will cost $3800 and take about a yr. Another option i have is thru Ivy Tech which will be covered by FAFSA grant. I also checked into the classes directly thru AAPC. Is anyone familiar with any of these online classes that could give me some input? I am lean ...

Medical Coding Classes
Jun 16, 2012

Trying to decide which online course for medical coding to take.  I am hearing Andrews college talked about quite a bit and have researched them but will not be covered by my FSSA grant. anyone have any input on online coding courses that would be covered by my FSSA grant? Unfortunately finances are a big determining factor. ...

Is Medical Coding Safe?
Aug 03, 2012

EMR is done by the physicians directly, will this happen to medical coding eventually too? ...

Medical Coding Salary
Sep 13, 2012

I was thinking of finding a course to take medical coding and wanted an at-home position in this field.  Can someone please tell me an average pay that I would expect to make?  I tried looking online and everything says "it varies", so just a ball park figure would be great, so I can decide if I want to pursue that or something different.  TIA:) ...

Medical Coding Education
Jan 16, 2014

I'm still in the process of researching various online schools, but if I were to sign up with a program within the next couple of weeks, is it feasible to think that I can get through the program and sit and take the CPC exam before the end of year?  I've been told that to make myself more marketable job-wise, that I should be certified in ICD-9 and then can go on and take the ICD-10 proficiency exam through AAPC early next year.  Any thoughts? ...

Medical Billing/Coding
Feb 13, 2015

Does any one know of any good medical billing and coding schools online? ...

Transcriptionist Also Does Medical Coding/billing?
Nov 16, 2009

I was wondering if anyone who is a transcriptionist also does medical coding/billing.  I wonder if we are any safer with this field and what the pay is like.  It looks to be about the same from what I have found on line.  I have been doing transcription for 10 years and am getting tired of what is happening in the industry.  It is tedious, hard work to sit on your butt all day and only get paid when your fingers are on the keys.  I am thinking of working in an office or hospital for a chang ...

Home Coding Medical Insurance?
Jan 28, 2010

Hi Cj, Does your company offer health insurance for its employees that work from home?  Also, I assume remote coders can live anywhere or do they need to be in the state the company is in?  Thanks.         ...

Associates Degree Medical Coding
May 07, 2010

Im so confused, I keep reading on different forums on line how hard it can be to break into medical coding. Does having an AA degree help?  Is that a plus?  I see some on line colleges that are accredited offer AA degrees, AABS degrees, etc.....whats the difference? Is it better for a newbie to go straight to AHIMA and take their cluster of courses or take an on line billing class through one of the on-line universities, then go test at AHIMA and AAPC?  ...

Information On Medical Billing/coding
Sep 08, 2010

I am interested in obtaining some information on the medical billing/coding certifications.  If anyone has class or school informaiton that is realiable I would greatly appreciate it.  I am looking for online certificated classes. Thanks ...

Medical Coding - Risk For Offshoring
Feb 21, 2011

I am speaking with a counselor at a community college about a medical insurance coding certificate. I am more interested in outpatient coding in an outpatient setting and earning the CPC credential for professional coders. I really do not want to work in a hospital again. From a current medical coder's perspective, is outpatient coding and CPC a good option as compared to inpatient coding? What about the job market? Is the job marketing pretty stable for outpatient coders, who are not worki ...

Medical Coding In A Small Town
Jul 22, 2011

I am considering medical coding training and would like some recommendations for good programs. Also, I live in a town of about 15,000. We have a small hospital that is on the verge of closing due to $$ problems so I wouldn't count on getting a job there. The next closest hospital is 50 miles away. Could I make enough $$ to make up for the commute I would have to do every day? ...

RHIT And Medical Coding Future
Oct 09, 2011

Does anyone have good input on whether medical scribes are the new medical transcriptionists only being filled my medical students, medical assistants or a part-time or piecemeal clerk at a lower rate (hourly or by piece) than medical transcriptionists -- if lower pay is even possible? Also, what are any inputs on RHIT and the medical coding future? I already have a bachelor's degree but thought about another associate degree in RHIT in a CAHIIM accredited program. From your viewpoint, wou ...

Medical Coding - Do Any Of You Regret Becoming A Coder?
Dec 27, 2011

Do any of you regret becoming a coder? ...

Future In Medical Coding / Billing
Feb 08, 2012

I have a question about coding and billing.  For three years in the '90s, I coded and transcribed for a small, rural, hospital.  I was responsible for outpatient, ER, inpatient, surgical etc. coding and transcription.  It was mostly ICD-9, and HCPC coding.  If I want to code from home in the future, what would you suggest I do, an online program?  Do you think coding from home would be an opportunity or do most hospitals/clinics/physicians require experience at a facility first, and wo ...

Coding/Medical Billing Jobs?
May 05, 2012

How plentiful are the jobs for coders and medical billers? Currently I am an MT but looking into other career options. Thanks! ...

Andrews School And Medical Coding
Jul 29, 2012

Andrews School and Medical Coding.  Is this a good program. ...

Medical Coding - Wanted To Get CCS Certification?
Sep 16, 2012

I have  been a medical transcriptionist for just over 10 years but I am now looking into coding.  I was hoping for some info on this.  How easy is it to get a job working from home?  Is it hard to get a job straight out of school? What  would be the best school if I wanted to get CCS certification?  I have heard that Andrews School was a good one but would love input from everyone.  Thanks! ...

Am I Too Old To Start A Career In Medical Coding
Jan 30, 2013

Dear Friends: I am 56 and I am a medical transcriptionists of 11 years and I am very interested in broadening my career and pursuing a career in medical coding.   I am interested in the Andrew's School.   I have two questions.  My first is what is the future of medical coding, i.e., will it be done offshore in the future like transcription and will it be replaced by the EMR.  The second question is am I tool old for training& ...

Good Medical Coding School
Jun 13, 2013

Hi, does anyone out there know of good medical coding schools, either in school or online, perferrably online.  Heard of The Andrews School?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  Minny ...