A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Medical Coding Education - luvtotype

Posted: Jan 16, 2014

I'm still in the process of researching various online schools, but if I were to sign up with a program within the next couple of weeks, is it feasible to think that I can get through the program and sit and take the CPC exam before the end of year?  I've been told that to make myself more marketable job-wise, that I should be certified in ICD-9 and then can go on and take the ICD-10 proficiency exam through AAPC early next year. 

Any thoughts?

Plan is ok, but your timeline is off - Almost too late now

[ In Reply To ..]
That advice was time-limited and has expired already. Now, there are several problems with what you ask.

Yes, you can go into coding. No problem with that, but ...

ICD-10 goes into effect in October of 2014, not a year or more.

The increase in jobs is predicted to occur between now and October, when the demand will be there. Not a year or more down the road. Those jobs require ICD-10.

A worthwhile course will take about a year. You could do it much faster, but most people are not that focused. An online college course will lock you into their schedule, so those will require a year or two, and you can't start until next semester, even if they accept you without delay.

Some courses already no longer teach ICD-9, so you would be unable to take AAPC exams until they switched, which is next January, as I recall.

You can do a shorter course, like AAPCs, in a few months, but that does not cover inpatient coding. The places that need more coders to handle ICD-10 are inpatient facilities. However, you would have something.

AHIMA's exams change in the next month or two, but few courses qualifying for their exams can be completed fast enough.

I think when we suggested that plan months ago, we said to get on it right away. Now you know why. You can still go into coding, but at this point you are left with taking a course and certifying AFTER the exams switch.

My plan - mtthree

[ In Reply To ..]
I am currently in medical coding taking an online class at my local community college. That said, it consists of 8 months of education. It's 4 months of basic coding and 4 months of advanced coding to earn a certificate in coding. I have a friend who completed the exact same course I am and have went on to take the CCS exam and she passed it. She now works at home in coding. She got the job with no experience. They took her CCS as the gospel that she knows about coding and started her in an entry level position. I hope to do the same. Best of luck to you.

That is why we tell everyone to get the CCS - Thanks for reinforcing that (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

Thanks for the feedback! - luvtotype

[ In Reply To ..]
I appreciate all of your advice, and you've given me a lot to think about. Honestly, I hadn't thought about getting into the medical coding field until just a few weeks ago, so I guess in hindsight, I should have thought about it much earlier.

Right now, I'm leaning towards doing outpatient physician coding and want to just concentrate on getting CPC certified. Maybe down the road, I will look at other certifications. Now I just have to decide which online school to take and are looking at AAPC and CodingCertification.Org.

Those are basically the same - but CC.org might be better

[ In Reply To ..]
Please read the CC.com website carefully. They are an AAPC licensed instructor, so they can use that program, and they do. The difference is in the videos, support, or whatever else CC.org includes in their package.

Comparing the two, CC.org comes out on top due to the additional videos, the support they say they offer, the additional practice testing, and especially the 30-day time to cancel. It seems to include everything the AAPC online course has, plus some, for a lower price.

You need to take the Physician Based Medical Coding Course, get the CPC, then get a job. Later, you can take the Facility Based Coding Course, but do not start with that one. It can be harder to get a job with just that because there are fewer jobs to be had and a CPC will do for them.

A word of warning ... you get 12 months to complete it, but under no circumstances should you plan to take that long, expect it to take that long, or let it get out of hand so it ends up taking that long. These courses take 4 months or less because they only contain enough material for that. It is only 20 modules. That is no more than 20 weeks, but probably can be done in 12. This is ONLY PART of the coding spectrum -- physician services. It is basically 1/4 of all of coding, which is why it takes 1/4 the time. Nothing wrong with that, but don't think you need 12 months because other programs take 12. Others take 12 because they contain more (facility coding, inpatient coding, anatomy, pathophysiology, reimbursement methods, etc.).

Also, do not plan on waiting until you finish to see when the next CPC exam will be given or what it will contain. Find your local AAPC chapter NOW and when they offer the next exam. Finish this course by then. You have a year to retake it without charge if you fail.

Really, if you cannot get your act together so you can do this in 4 months, no more than 5, you should not go into coding, because self-direction is a critical component of the work. Too, too many people sign up for these courses intending to do them in their free time, or one evening a week, and never finish because they cannot MAKE time and DO the work. It is all up to your internal, self-motivating, self-directing, self-assessing skills.
Great advice! - luvtotype
[ In Reply To ..]
You've definitely given me a lot to think about, so thank you!

Is the recommendation that someone take an MT & A course at the same time as doing a coding course or start with MT & A first?

I find that I keep going back to CCO because I like her teaching style just in the few YouTube videos that I've seen, and I do like how you're assigned an instructor while taking her courses. Plus, I definitely like the fact that she's an AAPC-licensed instructor.

One of my concerns about CCO's program is that in reading through some other online medical coding forums, that there's not a whole lot mentioned about her programs. Yes, I've read quite a few positive comments about her Blitz videos and Bubble & Highlight method, but nothing in particular about her MT & A or PBC course.

The other thing I'm wondering about is what are the advantages of being ICD-9 certified with the transition to ICD-10 happening this year? I'm sure that I could definitely push myself to take the CPC exam, and pass this year, but then will need to spend another $400 for the ICD-10 proficiency assessment. Maybe I'm better off waiting to take just the coding ICD-10 class? Lots to think about!

Thanks again!
My 2 cents' worth - student
[ In Reply To ..]
This is just my opinion, and I'm only a student, but I can definitely see your point about waiting for ICD-10. It had been my hope to be certified in ICD-9 before the big change . . . well, just like the poster above stated, there has been a big push with hiring and I was hired before I could complete my program. Which is a wonderful opportunity obviously, but now I'm being trained by my facility for ICD-10 and I had to drop out of college because there is just no time to do all of it, and I'm not certified yet. So we are kind of in the same boat -- left with trying to rush for ICD-9 or just test with ICD-10. I know that everyone has said how hard ICD-10 is, and it IS a lot different . . but my opinion is that if you haven't done ICD-9 before you aren't going to know any different. It is a similar process . . so I guess what I'm saying is, don't be afraid of ICD-10. It's different but it's much the same too. I do think coding is a good field to get into, so I think you are smart to be investigating it.
It is $60, not $400 - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
Where did you get the information that the AAPC'S ICD-10 recertification is $400??? That is ridiculous. Even the initial certification is only $260, so why would the update be $400?

It is $60. Once you have the CPC, you can update it with the ICD-10. You have until September of 2015 to do that.

You do not need "a course" for it, either. You should be able to do it with a book. However, you will need CEUs for your certification, so an ICD-10 course can supply them.

This is not a matter of learning to code all over again. The code sets are very similar. The numbering system is different to accommodate future expansion. You just need to transition to that. If you are familiar with ICD-9, it takes 5 to 10 hours. You also need to know ICD-9 for a few more years, if not decades.

The MT&A course is for the ICD-10, not the ICD-9 course, which includes the MT and A required for the CPC exam. You therefore do not need it now, so you should not worry about it now. Just get going on what you need NOW.

I would not worry that you have not seen a lot of online comments. The PBC is ... IS ... the AAPC course with added materials and support but at lower cost. Given that why would you still be debating between the two? It seems a no-brainer to me. There aren't any other options out there, either.

I encourage you to get valid facts to help in your decision and not delay further.

Coding Education - Maybe a future coder

[ In Reply To ..]
I am an MT and am in the very early process of deciding on which career to transition into, with coding being one of the possibilities for me. I would suggest looking into AHIMA's online program for coding. I know you can start at any time and do it at your own pace, so you might be able to finish by the end of the year if you start now. It says on their website that the training is for ICD-10. Just something to look into.

Thanks for the suggestion! (nm) - luvtotype

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Advise About Where To Look For Educational Grants For Medical Coding Education
Mar 04, 2013

Dear Friends: My name is Suzie and I am a medical transcriptionist who wants to attend medical coding school, The Andrew's School, is the school I want to attend.  I would like to know if any of you have any suggestions about education grants that I can look into.  I would like some information.  Thank you in advance. Fondly, Suzie ...

Coding Education Timing
Oct 20, 2010

I'm looking for some feedback/advice on pursuing medical coding education.  I'm 53 and will be retiring from my current government position in about 3 years - about the time the ICD-10 will be in full implementation. (On the side, I work part-time as a medical transcriptionist.) I was advised to hold off on taking a medical coding course for a couple of years due to the fact I would be learning from the current ICD-9 and then have to have retraining later in the ICD ...

Coding Schools/education
Mar 26, 2014

I think it would be very helpful for many people if some of the more senior coding people on this forum could advise on what new coders should look for in a school or training program.  I'm not looking for specific names, but rather that you should make sure your school teaches A, B and C.  Things you want to avoid are X, Y and Z.    Personally, my first school would probably have done the trick (a community college) if not for the fact that they only off ...

L S (Lynn Schoeler) Coding And Education
Nov 14, 2010

I know, I have posted a lot here in the last few weeks... but I need to get started.  I have decided to focus on the outpatient coding.  I have thought of enrolling in Andrews, but I have been an MT for over 10 years now and I do not need the anatomy classes, etc.  I have always worked on the clinic side during my MT career.  I feel in my coding career I would like to do the same, preferably for an orthopedic office.  I feel that training on just this side (and having ...

Extra Coding Education Question
Aug 24, 2012

I completed an associate's degree last winter and got my RHIT credentials.  I have applied for a couple local coding jobs, which I did not get.  They both had a coding test I had to take and pass before they would interview me.  I failed both of these tests miserably.  It was embarrassing.  One lady who was the HIM manager asked me if my program even taught me how to code!  Yes, I have my RHIT, but I don't really know how to code!  I know the basics, ...

Out Of The Mouths Of Babes! Last Night I Mentioned The Coding Education Offer To My Husband, Sm
Mar 11, 2014

and my teenage son, who has witnessed many meltdowns that I have had working for MM, was in earshot and simply said, Mom, wouldn't that be like marrying an abusive boyfriend?  His analogy was right on if you ask me! I have been sending out resumes, actively looking for another job and when I saw this I thought that it sounds great and is a very generous offer but in the end you will still be working for Mmodal who expects everything and gives nothing in return.  I am her ...

Career And Education Advice For Medical Transcription
Nov 14, 2009

Hello, I am looking for advice from some of the seasoned MT's and those who have been in the field for about a year now.   I am looking into medical transcription; initially for part-time supplemental income and down-the-road as a full-time career.   Here are the questions that I have: Which schools, particularly online courses, are well known for developing successful MT's; more specifically which programs are good at helping their graduates land jobs? For someone who ...

What Impact Will The Electronic Medical Record Have On The Medical Coding Career
Mar 20, 2011

Dear medical coding students and medical coders: I am starting The Andrew's School of Medical Coding on April 1, 2011 and I have I am looking forward to it. I want to ask you your opinions. I was at the dog park with my pug Cruncher yesterday and I was telling my friends that I was looking forward to starting school and one my friends who is an oncologist at NIH was advising me that I should think twice about starting medical coding as a profession because the implementation of the electron ...

Going From MT To Medical Coding
Feb 04, 2010

Any informatioin regarding medical coding and billing? I am thinking about going back to school. I recently lost my MT job. Thanks! ...

Looking For The Medical Coding Job
Sep 29, 2013

Hi everyone   I am an experienced medical coder(3 years) from India. Got CPC certification.  Is there any opportunity for me to work in US. If yes,  How should i proceed with?...What are the requirements.....Currently iam working in India... Kindly reply ...

Medical Coding Help!!
May 14, 2014

Hi I am currently enrolled in coding and scheduled for my CPC exam next month. I am so confused with all of it!! I really don't understand what you are supposed to code exactly from a note? Do you code everything, pmh, social history, procedures, impression, diagnoses? This is the hardest part for me, is knowing exactly what I am supposed to code. I had thought that it was just mainly the procedures and the disagnoses or impression, but sometimes it seems to be things listed in the whole r ...

Medical Coding Outside The US
Sep 17, 2014

Hello! I am hoping someone can help me! I am currently a remote coder for a hospital in NC. I am going to be moving to Costa Rica next year and am trying to find a contract company that will allow me to work outside the US. When I started my search I didn't think it would be hard, I figured with remote positons becoming so popular it wouldn't matter what country I was working in as long as I can connect to the internet. Unfortunately, I've called and emailed many companies and the ...

Has Anybody Been Trained To Do Medical Coding And Do They Like It?
Nov 10, 2010

Has anybody been trained to do medical coding and do they like it?  I am trying to figure out where to go next since transciption no longer pays the bills and I am sick of sitting down for 12 hours a day.  I am ready to work away from home.  I just do not want to invest time and money in classes where I cannot get a job or where the pay is worse that what we make now.  ...

Is Medical Coding A Better Way To Go Now Rather Than Transcription?
Mar 29, 2011

Is medical coding now a better way to go rather than transcription? ...

Career In Medical Coding?
Jul 22, 2011

I am considering training for medical coding but I don't want to spend the $$ if in a few years that industry goes the way of medical transcription with computers taking over our jobs and putting us out of work. I would welcome any and all information and opinions on this as well as recommendations for coding programs to enroll in. ...

Medical Coding Schools
Jun 06, 2012

I have been researching schools & certifications for coding and getting a bit overwhelmed! I have pretty much decided on an online course but now to decide which one? From reading the forums i hear Andrews college is pretty good but this will cost $3800 and take about a yr. Another option i have is thru Ivy Tech which will be covered by FAFSA grant. I also checked into the classes directly thru AAPC. Is anyone familiar with any of these online classes that could give me some input? I am lean ...

Medical Coding Classes
Jun 16, 2012

Trying to decide which online course for medical coding to take.  I am hearing Andrews college talked about quite a bit and have researched them but will not be covered by my FSSA grant. anyone have any input on online coding courses that would be covered by my FSSA grant? Unfortunately finances are a big determining factor. ...

Is Medical Coding Safe?
Aug 03, 2012

EMR is done by the physicians directly, will this happen to medical coding eventually too? ...

Medical Coding Salary
Sep 13, 2012

I was thinking of finding a course to take medical coding and wanted an at-home position in this field.  Can someone please tell me an average pay that I would expect to make?  I tried looking online and everything says "it varies", so just a ball park figure would be great, so I can decide if I want to pursue that or something different.  TIA:) ...

Medical Coding Is So Difficult?
Mar 15, 2014

Where I work, I do prior auths for various tests and procedures that the physicians order. We are in EPIC and in the patient's chart, all the diagnoses have the codes listed right after them and any new diagnoses listed on the orders also include the code. So when I go to start the prior auth, the only codes I have to look up are the CPT codes for the test, which are referenced rather easily in the CPT coding book. Just the other day I had to get pre-determination for testing on a pat ...

Medical Billing/Coding
Feb 13, 2015

Does any one know of any good medical billing and coding schools online? ...

Transcriptionist Also Does Medical Coding/billing?
Nov 16, 2009

I was wondering if anyone who is a transcriptionist also does medical coding/billing.  I wonder if we are any safer with this field and what the pay is like.  It looks to be about the same from what I have found on line.  I have been doing transcription for 10 years and am getting tired of what is happening in the industry.  It is tedious, hard work to sit on your butt all day and only get paid when your fingers are on the keys.  I am thinking of working in an office or hospital for a chang ...

Home Coding Medical Insurance?
Jan 28, 2010

Hi Cj, Does your company offer health insurance for its employees that work from home?  Also, I assume remote coders can live anywhere or do they need to be in the state the company is in?  Thanks.         ...

Associates Degree Medical Coding
May 07, 2010

Im so confused, I keep reading on different forums on line how hard it can be to break into medical coding. Does having an AA degree help?  Is that a plus?  I see some on line colleges that are accredited offer AA degrees, AABS degrees, etc.....whats the difference? Is it better for a newbie to go straight to AHIMA and take their cluster of courses or take an on line billing class through one of the on-line universities, then go test at AHIMA and AAPC?  ...

Information On Medical Billing/coding
Sep 08, 2010

I am interested in obtaining some information on the medical billing/coding certifications.  If anyone has class or school informaiton that is realiable I would greatly appreciate it.  I am looking for online certificated classes. Thanks ...

Medical Coding - Risk For Offshoring
Feb 21, 2011

I am speaking with a counselor at a community college about a medical insurance coding certificate. I am more interested in outpatient coding in an outpatient setting and earning the CPC credential for professional coders. I really do not want to work in a hospital again. From a current medical coder's perspective, is outpatient coding and CPC a good option as compared to inpatient coding? What about the job market? Is the job marketing pretty stable for outpatient coders, who are not worki ...

Medical Coding In A Small Town
Jul 22, 2011

I am considering medical coding training and would like some recommendations for good programs. Also, I live in a town of about 15,000. We have a small hospital that is on the verge of closing due to $$ problems so I wouldn't count on getting a job there. The next closest hospital is 50 miles away. Could I make enough $$ to make up for the commute I would have to do every day? ...

RHIT And Medical Coding Future
Oct 09, 2011

Does anyone have good input on whether medical scribes are the new medical transcriptionists only being filled my medical students, medical assistants or a part-time or piecemeal clerk at a lower rate (hourly or by piece) than medical transcriptionists -- if lower pay is even possible? Also, what are any inputs on RHIT and the medical coding future? I already have a bachelor's degree but thought about another associate degree in RHIT in a CAHIIM accredited program. From your viewpoint, wou ...

Medical Coding - Do Any Of You Regret Becoming A Coder?
Dec 27, 2011

Do any of you regret becoming a coder? ...

Future In Medical Coding / Billing
Feb 08, 2012

I have a question about coding and billing.  For three years in the '90s, I coded and transcribed for a small, rural, hospital.  I was responsible for outpatient, ER, inpatient, surgical etc. coding and transcription.  It was mostly ICD-9, and HCPC coding.  If I want to code from home in the future, what would you suggest I do, an online program?  Do you think coding from home would be an opportunity or do most hospitals/clinics/physicians require experience at a facility first, and wo ...