A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

AHIMA article on transition from paper to EHR - from MT to coding

Posted: Mar 19, 2013

I read in: http://library.ahima.org/xpedio/groups/public/documents/ahima/bok1_048635.hcsp?dDocName=bok1_048635

About EHR and the need to review file room staffing and need to reduce or redefine staff as the record becomes fully electronic, and consider work queues that are built into electronic record systems that will drive HIM staff members' work for the day (e.g., verbal orders that are not signed, transcriptions, etc.).

What I am asking the coding forum today is, 

Are coders constantly entering their access username/password?  Access should be terminated automatically after a certain period of inactivity. Groups also can set the length of system inactivity. The access for nurses on a nursing unit could time out after 10 minutes of inactivity; access for coders should be set for a longer time, since coders often must review numerous documents before determining a code.

I am not asking about the issue of working at home, but am asking about coders' employment security:

Ensure organization has planned its off-site EHR content carefully before implementing any off-site coding or transcription functions (e.g., have major clinical documentation needed by coders, such as physician progress notes, available online to coders before implementing off-site coding)

This article doesn't have a date on it, so maybe this is outdated information.  I would think with ICD-10, coding would stay in-house and more coders would be needed. Appreciate any comments!

Not sure I understand what you are asking - Informatics

[ In Reply To ..]
The article is from November of 2010. The date is at the bottom.

I am not sure what either of those quotes have to do with job security. Or ICD-10. Could you explain further?

That statement about file room staff does not apply to coders, who are not file room staff. Off-site means not located at the facility itself, i.e., able to use paper records or other materials that are only on-site. It could mean in another building if it wasn't convenient to transport records there. It does not mean out-sourced or off-shored. For what it is worth, jobs with contract coding companies are really good, but they require a lot of experience and, often, AHIMA credentials like the RHIA or RHIT.

Your first statement relates to time-outs for access to an EHR. Timing out after, say, 10 minutes of inactivity enhances security by preventing terminals from being left "open" and unauthorized persons from accessing them or authorized persons from accessing using someone else's access. This is a necessary safeguard, not something meant to hinder or aggravate you.

Are coders constantly logging in? No more than anyone else . . . if you are working, you stay logged in. If you leave your computer, you log out. How would that affect job security? I'm not sure what the concern is.

Your second concern is about a statement that says everything coders need must be available electronically before they can work in a location that does not have access to the paper record. In other words, you cannot move your coders to an offsite building until everything they need is available electronically. How else would you do it? The coders need the records to do their work.

None of our coders work in the hospital itself. They are miles away at three different offices and a few work from home. That is only possible because we are fully electronic.

I don't see anything there that has anything to do with job security.

As for ICD-10, yes, it is anticipated to require an increased number of coders for several reasons. That might enhance job availability, but it isn't like there is a problem with it now. Jobs in health information are considered very secure. They change, requiring continual growth, but they are overall very secure.

Similar Messages:

Article In My Paper Today About MT Course...
Feb 21, 2010

There's an article today in my hometown newspaper from an area community college about its MT course, about how MTs are needed for VR, how they make $34,000 a year, and how you can work at home.  I just wanted to puke. Of course the goal is to get gullible people to sign up for their course, hoping they don't bother to research it too closely.... ...

Sticky Paper
Feb 08, 2010

We lost our paper supplier for full sticky sheets with the easy peel margin (Formtec brand).  Does anyone have a lead on a supplier?  We were getting it for about 38/box for 212 sheets.  I can find full sheets on the net, but nothing with that type of margin or price?  TIA.  T. ...

Help - Looking For Contact Paper
Jan 20, 2011

Does anybody know where to purchase 8-1/2 x 11 white contact paper.  I am starting a new account that wants their chart note printed on this paper, and I cannot seem to find it anywhere.  Thanks for the help. ...

Paper Shredder
Feb 25, 2011

I need to know if anyone knows of a real heavy duty industrial shredder that won't break down after a year.  I work for a private doctor's office and need to shred thousands of papers after I finish the reports. ...

Anyone Received Their Paper W-2 Yet?
Jan 26, 2012

I know they are not required to mail them until the 31st, but has anyone received their paper W-2 yet?  TIA ...

Paper Checks
Jan 12, 2015

So quick question - first check for Friday's payday was a paper check.  Still haven't received it.  How long have you guys waited for paper checks before?  Usually have direct deposit so this is a new experience for me :) ...

Student Doing A Paper On Coding - Help
Apr 09, 2011

Hi all. I am doing a career exploration paper on medical coding. I need some interesting facts about medical coding. Can anyone explain how the ICD came about? Any other interesting facts would be appreciated! ...

No More Paper Check Stubs
Sep 28, 2012

I want my own stub mailed to me... Jerks. ...

M*MODAL COMMENTS IN TN PAPER
Mar 21, 2014

M*Modal participates in the market where pricing has dropped by 35% below what M*Modal needs to sustain. M*Modal has heavy cost structure with debt load and G&A which will prevent it from being cost effective in Transcription Out-sourcing market. M*Modal has also pursued a technology solution model similar to Nuance where clinical documentation review/edit/accuracy function is being transitioned to physicians using Fluency by M*Modal and Dragon 360 by Nuance. The ineffectiveness of this app ...

Interview For Research Paper
Mar 02, 2015

Would anyone be willing to give me a quick interview?  Questions include:  How did you get into field?  Why did this field appeal to you?  Does it meet with your satisfaction?  Years of employment and level of responsibility?  ...

Ortho: S/l Paper And Pen Plate Bottoms
Feb 14, 2013

Talking about limitations of use of extremity. Sounds like pen and paper plate or site bottoms? Thanks! ...

First Paycheck - Is It Direct Deposit Or Paper Check?
Nov 09, 2009

Used to be if you made change of bank account, the first one was paper and then DD kicked in.  Anyone know>? ...

Paper Check Versus Direct Deposit
Dec 11, 2009

I just signed up for direct deposit but I didn't get paid yesterday like I was supposed to.  How long does it take for a paper check to arrive in the mail?  ...

For A School Paper: What Are Hospitals Paying For In-house MTs Currently? Sm
Jun 28, 2013

I have to compare 20 or more hospitals in different parts of the country. I only need the state, not the city or name of the hospital. I am supposed to list the hourly rate and if there is an incentive plan. I know that these jobs are getting more and more rare, and I know that I probably won't be able to get one, but I really want to get a good grade on this paper, and I don't know where else to ask. Thank you in advance. ...

Do Any Of You Use Sticky Paper To Print Chart Notes?
Jul 23, 2013

I am beginning to transcribe for a new local physician.  I've been an MT for 20 years, have had my own clients & have worked for the nationals - but I've never printed onto sticky paper.  The office manager gave me a whole pack of it.  It has 11 perforated sections from top to bottom, with about a 1-inch margin on right and left. Is there some sort of a template for Microsoft word that will print correctly onto each section? I don't see a name brand on the pac ...

New Cutting Edge Paper Medical Chart!
Dec 04, 2014

It's satire, and yet so true.. ...

MT In Transition
Apr 27, 2011

I work for Precyse, and they are now sending the 3rd new account in my region over to India, and we are constantly without work anymore.  I have applied for a job with Transcend Services.  Can anyone tell me about this company please?  First and foremost, do you run out of work very often?  ...

Something To Transition To!!!!
Dec 24, 2011

Is your MT career dead? Don't know what to do? Here's the NEXT BIG THING! And you get to still stay at home! hmmm, I wonder if I can hook my headset up to my phone.... LOL  =]   http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/22/phone-sex-moms_n_1166075.html?1324589894&ncid=webmail19 ...

Transition
Jan 16, 2014

How does one make the transition over to acute care with no acute care experience. All the jobs I see want acute care. I fully understand that. I am willing to make the transition if someone would give me a chance. I ran into this as a new MT back 4 years ago. I have clinic experience, but no acute care experience.  I'm looking for jobs daily as I lost my job 2 weeks ago due to electronic records. I need to work as bills are stacking up.  What companies hire for clinic work, wil ...

AHIMA/AAPC
Feb 25, 2011

Anyone out there a member of AHIMA or AAPC?  Did you join after you became certified, or before?  What are your thoughts about joining?   ...

AHIMA Training
Mar 23, 2011

Need some advice please.  I have just started the AHIMA coding course but after doing further research, I am thinking I may want to take the CPC exam first.  Does the AHIMA course prepare for taking the CPC?  Would it be appropriate to do this.  I think it is too late to change schools.  There are so many decisions to make.  I did do a vast amount of research before I chose but now I think it may be a litter harder than I first thought it was going to be, so maybe t ...

AHIMA Student
Apr 08, 2011

Hi all of you wannabe coders out there.  I have just finished my A&P course with AHIMA and am starting coding basics.  I would love to communicate those out there who are in this program, just starting out or previous students.  Let me know how far along you are and also what your background is.   I am very excited about getting to do this program.  I have been a transcriptionist for almost 20 years and am totally burned out, both physically and mentally.  ...

AHIMA Approved ?
Nov 03, 2011

I just checked the AHIMA website for coding programs and I noticed that they have Career Step on their list of "AHIMA approved coding programs" but I could not find Andrews School listed at all on their site.  Is AHIMA approval for coding as important as AHDI approval for transcription programs? Everyone recommends Andrews for coding but Im confused now. Could someone explain please. Also if it is important can you please let me know where you went to school for coding? I know Andrews and M ...

With The Changes AHIMA Is Putting Out
Sep 11, 2012

I am wondering if Andrews is still a good choice for a school. I was also thinking of calling Linda Andrews and seeing how these changes affect her course. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. ...

AHIMA And Other Questions
Sep 05, 2013

Has anyone classes through the AHIMA website? If so, did you like it? Is there any benefit of taking it through AHIMA versus Andrews? If you were a new student would you take the RHIA classes or CCS classes? Do you recommend getting a CCS-P as well? What is the best route to get the best return on your investment, ie if you are looking to make coding your career for the next 25+ years, which certificate/degree is the best one to get right now to lead you into a successful career? Any ...

Transition To Third Shift
Feb 02, 2011

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone who works or has worked third shift in the past could share with me any advice they might have. I have always worked first shift, but I have been offered a really terrific position working third shift on the weekends, and I am finding myself wanting to give it a try. I know it would be a difficult transition at first, and I would need to focus on taking good care of myself. If anyone has any advice, I would so greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advanc ...

Transition From MT To Coding...
Mar 17, 2011

I'm thinking of making the jump after years (22+) in MT and LT and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best way to go about doing this.  I have found a couple of prep courses for the CCP exam, but it would be nice if I could hear some actual experiences that people have had with some of the actual courses out there.  It would be great if you could provide links to the places that y'all have gone to.  Feel free to e-mail me if you'd prefer.  Tha ...

Nervous Transition
Oct 21, 2011

I have come into transciption within the past four years. This is something I have always wanted to do and finally found a way to get into the field. There does not seem to be alot of money in straight typing, and less in VR. I have always made incentive, but still - its just not enough and I work very hard to get that. Right now, I work for a company with straight typing only, no VR. I am taking a position with a company that has VR and it sounds to me like the position is pre ...

DSG - Hows The Transition Going?
Mar 07, 2012

Haven't seen any recent threads lately and just wondered how everyone was doing? Are things getting better for everyone? Were you able to get back on original accounts before the change? I read a thread on here a couple weeks back where people had been kinda shuffeled around and was wondering had it gotten any better for you all. ...

CMTs Who Transition
Mar 20, 2012

Will you or have you let your CMT expire? ...