A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

M*MODAL COMMENTS IN TN PAPER - FORUM USER

Posted: Mar 21, 2014

M*Modal participates in the market where pricing has dropped by 35% below what M*Modal needs to sustain. M*Modal has heavy cost structure with debt load and G&A which will prevent it from being cost effective in Transcription Out-sourcing market.

M*Modal has also pursued a technology solution model similar to Nuance where clinical documentation review/edit/accuracy function is being transitioned to physicians using Fluency by M*Modal and Dragon 360 by Nuance. The ineffectiveness of this approach lies with the fact physician time is well spent treating patients rather than correcting clinical documentation. The old cliché of only pharmacists can read physicians writing applies here.

M*Modal purchased Spheris out of Chapter 11 and uses Franklin TN office of Spheris but quickly forgot the lessons of why Spheris failed. This is evident when your debt grows from less than 50% of the gross revenue to 166% of the gross revenue with 3,600 customers.

The fundamental change in strategy is needed so that cost of service is lowered by 20% - 30% else in next few years this scenario will repeat. M*Modal is living off CHS, CHI and IMH but these clients are struggling with their own bottom lines. If M*Modal can lower its cost of service to them the long term captive revenue will materialize.

M*Modal beyond all financial expert needs a transcription out-sourcing restructuring expert to FIX THEM for a long haul.

Hope this helps.

Helps what? It scares me. Sounds like - they will get rid of MTs altogether

[ In Reply To ..]
or am I just being paranoid?

No, you're not being paranoid. As early as last - summer, its been looking like - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
MT would be more than 100% offshored, and instead, it would be 100% eliminated. Likely other companies will follow in MM's footsteps and transition out of MT, which will no longer be needed, and into coding, which still is.

That did end up starting to happen this year. Now the risk is growing daily that the career of medical coding will also first be outsourced (to MTSOs), then offshored (to India, etc.), and eventually fully automated.

Even radiologists are losing their jobs to offshoring capabilities, due to digital imaging. The best move anyone can make is a move entirely out of health care.

They need to cut the some suit salaries - It is so easy

[ In Reply To ..]
I believe they should fire the fluff suits who are not needed and cut their own pay by half at least. They don't need to be making that much, especially when they are failing at running a company. If I fail, I get performance managed and eventually fired with no golden parachute. It should be the same with the suits. They should at least do what Ben and Jerry's does (I think its them who does this). The highest paid employee never makes more than a certain percentage of the lowest paid employee.

Isn't it sad when there is such a simple answer staring - at them - SUIT SALARIES.

[ In Reply To ..]
Let's hope their creditors realize this and shove it back at them.

What paper was this in and what date? - TIA (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
xxxxx

Comment about Spheris about sums the whole - thing up.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Do they really not get the fact that the ENTIRE - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
problem is their bloated salaries, a top-heavy corporation, their huge bonuses and trips and parties.... We don't need useless suits and middle management making slide shows discussing business matrices, etc. THAT'S the cost that needs to be lowered. The worker bees creating the product have been slashed as far as we can be slashed!!

you nailed it. wish they would get this through their thick - greedy skulls.

[ In Reply To ..]
Transcription is still their main source of revenue so stop cutting MT pay. Again,your response sums it up perfectly. They have got to stop trying to get rich off our hard work.

Unfortunately, no one will ever convince suits to - give up their excessive pay, which - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
they all have grown to believe is their birthright.

They would probably argue - Sm

[ In Reply To ..]
That in order to attract top talent or experienced executives, they have to offer competitive salaries, industry standard compensation, or else hire people with less experience. I think it's all about appearances, smoke and mirrors. I don't think we can begin to understand the waters they swim in. Makes no sense to us, we're just the peons who make them so rich. They get richer and we get poorer.
"Gotta pay for brilliance!" - Val
[ In Reply To ..]
The brilliance of going into bankruptcy b/c the lessons of Spheris were ignored.
The blog Healthcare Renewal did a great dissection of the verbiage used to justify the bloated salaries and THEY'RE ALL THE SAME TALKING POINTS!! Same playbook! These guys are all talk and biz jargon.

What is CHS, CHI, and IMH (from the person who can't remember which set of initials I am today at MM)?

Oh no - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
There are some of us not at minimum wage yet...there is still room to slash us some more to give themselves more perks.

IndiaMTsMakeTheSameAS - US

[ In Reply To ..]
India is not the 3rd world it used to be. The rest of the world is coming up and America is falling behind. Out sourcing is not the profit advantage it used to be. Things have changed since the 1990s and early 2000s and the corporations have to pay higher taxes and wages now over there to match their higher standard of living.

THEY COME AFTER OUR 'PAY' - Diane King

[ In Reply To ..]
We were entitled to 15 minutes of downtime when we ran out of reports. They needed the extra revenue, so they throw us the crumbs of 6 minutes for downtime!!!!

What more do we need? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
What more proof do we need that it's time to get out of this company? MModal is a sinking ship and anyone who reads that article and doesn't have a set plan IN MOTION to leave this company in the next few months, you need to get one together right now. I doubt we have until the end of this year before this ship goes under and no amount of "Pilot Coding Programs" on earth will save it.

I 100% agree with this - wake-up call

[ In Reply To ..]
The coding program is bizarre timing wise and we all know it was thrown together in a massive hurry. It is so obviously related to the Ch 11, not a reassuring thing.

It boggles my mind the reasoning they were using when they bought Spheris, that was the biggest mistake they made.

I just don't see a happy ending for any of us.

My escape plan is actually to ride to the bottom of the ocean with them and get unemployment and retraining OF MY CHOOSING and that sure won't be coding, the next target of sending overseas.

LOL.. I'm gonna ride right to the bottom with you :) - mtnsp

[ In Reply To ..]
LOL. Same plan of action here.

What are you going to do? - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
But what if your escape plan doesn't pan out and you're let go before they sink to the bottom. That 99.7 is a pretty slippery slope, and there's no telling how many of us are going to wipeout with that. My hope is that UE will still accept claims even though fired from what looks more and more like a sinking ship.
I agree ... slippery slope - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Here's the thing. I have a ton of faith in my abilities, I'm a classic Virgo so I pay a ton of attention to detail,etc., BUT I *know* what my limit is for quality and I consistently hover at 99.5%-99.6%. It's not the content of the report that kills me ... that's always spot on. It's the 1-point client profile errors that end up killing me. Like many of us here, I'm a super good MT but I *know* realistically 97.7% is impossible for me to maintain. I might be able to hit it once, or twice, but consistently month after month ... impossible.

I don't know what your situation is, but after the coding fiasco I went searching for Coding programs here in my town and I found that one of the local career colleges offers coding, AND financial aid for students. It's not a big college or even a community college size school, just a place to get medical training, vet assistant training, etc. I was *amazed* to see how many career choices they had available and I have no doubt that if most of us applied to places like that, that we would qualify for financial aid and depending on your choice, most of the programs only take 9-12 months AND they arrange externships so you don't have to search for placement when you're done - they do it for you.

Again, this option may not be right for everyone but with financial aid available for a 9-12 month program, it might open up a possibility for someone reading this who may not know it's out there.
A lot - mt
[ In Reply To ..]
Of us won't make 99.7 consistently, especially with the sound quality we've been getting lately (and its not my headphones). Its like they are trying all they can to help us fail.
oh, i have no doubt I'll tank somewhere on the 99.7.. I guess - mtnsp
[ In Reply To ..]
I should have worded it more specifically. Then can lay me off or fire me and then UE. I have never collected so, maybe its time. That is the BEST safety net I can come up with, so I don't have a nervous breakdown. LOL
I've thought about that too but there is no way I could survive on UE - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
For a while I thought, no biggie, if I get laid off I'll just cut back and readjust and I'll be fine. I'm a single mom and have very few bills, and keep my expenses super low. Well, the wake up call came when I went to the UE "calculation" website to figure out how much I might eventually have to cut back if it ever came to that.

They base your UE rate on an average of your earning for the past 3 quarters - but they have a maximum which is $230/week. The "calculator" determined the most I would qualify for based on my last 3 quarters was $210/week. That's $840/mo.

No matter HOW much I cut back on my already bare-bones budget, with kids to support I would never in a million years make my ends meet with that. UE isn't going to be a solution for me - I absolutely HAVE to keep working in some capacity. It's the only way I could ever stay afloat.
I think we would have a good case for UE - with the CH. 11 happening
[ In Reply To ..]
They can try to say I didn't meet quality expectations but I doubt it will matter. I am willing to take that chance. I will also go back and print up emails of all my good scores and praise from my TSM.

I have a community college near where I live where I can take classes for $26 a credit. I am thinking maybe some sort of x-ray tech, pharmacy tech, or paralegal. I am not really interested in coding, as I see it heading down the same road as MT anyway.

If you all have any ideas, please throw them at me.

Mostly I am just BURNED out in this biz and want out.

SpherisHadPrestigeAccounts - ManyWentGlobal

[ In Reply To ..]
The so-called "talent" at the top had no idea what Spheris' problems were all about because they did not understand the industry. All they saw were their prestigous accounts(of which were many) and thought $$$$, how can we go wrong and jumped at the chance to buy it. Just shows you how little these guys know and now because of their poor judgment thousands of people are in jeopardy not here here in the US but in India as well. There is a huge brain drain at the top these days but they insist on calling them HTF talent that deserve 7-digit salaries. Suffice it to say, putting an MT at the head of MM would have served them better what makes a successful company IMHO.
MModal lost many accounts, prestige accounts, to the - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Other Company. I was sickened when I went to work for OC and found my old prize account from out west, along with many many others that were the mainstay of Spheris.

MModal must have sent them to India, which screwed them up and they lost account. OC list of accounts comprise many of old Spheris accounts.

Hmmm.. pricing 35% sustenance. Interesting tale of experience. - undercut past the bone

[ In Reply To ..]
My former employer had to shut down because our clients were pouched by a particular Indian company and he was undercut so much that he would not have even been able to pay for the phone lines.

One would think our ILP's would be working cheaply enough that they would not have a problem. Or maybe they "just" need to get rid of many of us, hence the upgrade to 99.7% to pass an audit. Two minor errors, and you failed your audit! I haven't found a way to sustain 100%, especially when I am marked down for supposedly adding or leaving out "a" or "the".

Still trying to break in to my new vocation that I just trained for, but may be let go and unemployment soon due to "failed" audits - all in the 99% plus range.

I wonder how the coding thing plays into the bankruptcy. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Is it a matter of they've wasted too much money & it's a way of justifying expenses -- 'Oh, yes, we are spending too much paying them to go to coding school, so we'll cut that out & it'll make the numbers look better.' The whole thing doesn't make any sense, to pay people to go to school when you're in the middle of bankruptcy and it would be so much cheaper to hire newbies fresh out of school, who don't need you to pay them to go to school... And for it to be thrown together so fast right before they officially file bankruptcy & has to start immediately, there's more to it than we know. I'm really curious to see what comes of it & find out the real reason for it, and if they really get 2 years out of it or if the program will be canned after the bankruptcy thing is settled.

My thoughts - Exactly

[ In Reply To ..]
How can you not pay your bills but can afford to train people in coding? Yes,they could easily find new graduates looking for that first opportunity to get a coding job and gain experience. There is definitely more to it, never heard anything about it and then suddenly they are testing and starting classes sithin a matter of a couple weeks...things are being rushed along for some reason.

Similar Messages:

Sticky Paper
Feb 08, 2010

We lost our paper supplier for full sticky sheets with the easy peel margin (Formtec brand).  Does anyone have a lead on a supplier?  We were getting it for about 38/box for 212 sheets.  I can find full sheets on the net, but nothing with that type of margin or price?  TIA.  T. ...

Help - Looking For Contact Paper
Jan 20, 2011

Does anybody know where to purchase 8-1/2 x 11 white contact paper.  I am starting a new account that wants their chart note printed on this paper, and I cannot seem to find it anywhere.  Thanks for the help. ...

Paper Shredder
Feb 25, 2011

I need to know if anyone knows of a real heavy duty industrial shredder that won't break down after a year.  I work for a private doctor's office and need to shred thousands of papers after I finish the reports. ...

Anyone Received Their Paper W-2 Yet?
Jan 26, 2012

I know they are not required to mail them until the 31st, but has anyone received their paper W-2 yet?  TIA ...

Paper Checks
Jan 12, 2015

So quick question - first check for Friday's payday was a paper check.  Still haven't received it.  How long have you guys waited for paper checks before?  Usually have direct deposit so this is a new experience for me :) ...

Article In My Paper Today About MT Course...
Feb 21, 2010

There's an article today in my hometown newspaper from an area community college about its MT course, about how MTs are needed for VR, how they make $34,000 a year, and how you can work at home.  I just wanted to puke. Of course the goal is to get gullible people to sign up for their course, hoping they don't bother to research it too closely.... ...

Student Doing A Paper On Coding - Help
Apr 09, 2011

Hi all. I am doing a career exploration paper on medical coding. I need some interesting facts about medical coding. Can anyone explain how the ICD came about? Any other interesting facts would be appreciated! ...

No More Paper Check Stubs
Sep 28, 2012

I want my own stub mailed to me... Jerks. ...

Interview For Research Paper
Mar 02, 2015

Would anyone be willing to give me a quick interview?  Questions include:  How did you get into field?  Why did this field appeal to you?  Does it meet with your satisfaction?  Years of employment and level of responsibility?  ...

Ortho: S/l Paper And Pen Plate Bottoms
Feb 14, 2013

Talking about limitations of use of extremity. Sounds like pen and paper plate or site bottoms? Thanks! ...

AHIMA Article On Transition From Paper To EHR
Mar 19, 2013

I read in: http://library.ahima.org/xpedio/groups/public/documents/ahima/bok1_048635.hcsp?dDocName=bok1_048635 About EHR and the need to review file room staffing and need to reduce or redefine staff as the record becomes fully electronic, and consider work queues that are built into electronic record systems that will drive HIM staff members' work for the day (e.g., verbal orders that are not signed, transcriptions, etc.). What I am asking the coding forum today is,  Are coder ...

First Paycheck - Is It Direct Deposit Or Paper Check?
Nov 09, 2009

Used to be if you made change of bank account, the first one was paper and then DD kicked in.  Anyone know>? ...

Paper Check Versus Direct Deposit
Dec 11, 2009

I just signed up for direct deposit but I didn't get paid yesterday like I was supposed to.  How long does it take for a paper check to arrive in the mail?  ...

For A School Paper: What Are Hospitals Paying For In-house MTs Currently? Sm
Jun 28, 2013

I have to compare 20 or more hospitals in different parts of the country. I only need the state, not the city or name of the hospital. I am supposed to list the hourly rate and if there is an incentive plan. I know that these jobs are getting more and more rare, and I know that I probably won't be able to get one, but I really want to get a good grade on this paper, and I don't know where else to ask. Thank you in advance. ...

Do Any Of You Use Sticky Paper To Print Chart Notes?
Jul 23, 2013

I am beginning to transcribe for a new local physician.  I've been an MT for 20 years, have had my own clients & have worked for the nationals - but I've never printed onto sticky paper.  The office manager gave me a whole pack of it.  It has 11 perforated sections from top to bottom, with about a 1-inch margin on right and left. Is there some sort of a template for Microsoft word that will print correctly onto each section? I don't see a name brand on the pac ...

New Cutting Edge Paper Medical Chart!
Dec 04, 2014

It's satire, and yet so true.. ...

TTS - Any Comments?
Jan 10, 2013

Anyone have any experience with TTS good or bad?  Thanks!  To elaborate - I am possibly moving from a hospital situation to working for them. ...

No Work Comments.
Oct 20, 2009

There are lots of posts from yesterday about "no work."  Anyone care to elaborate on which companies you are experiencing this.  I am trying to make a change and don't want to go through the same experience again.  Thanks so much. ...

Any Comments On WebMedx?
Oct 22, 2009

I am looking to make a change from MedQuist.  Does anyone know how WebMedx compares? ...

All The Over The Top Comments Regarding Webmedx
Sep 02, 2010

1. It sucks to lose a job, period.  At least 10 million people have gone thru the process in the recent past and none of them liked it. 2. No matter how it was delivered, you would still be upset. I gty you a phone call would have gone this way...."Hello, I am XX from HR and I need to inform you blah blah blah..."  Read from a script with no substantive answers due to today's legal environment and discrimination laws.  Having had the news delivered to me this way in the ...

Any Comments RE Transcend?
Apr 04, 2011

Job searching once again. Got lots of experience, strong on op reports/procedures. I've had my fill of days with no work available. ...

Keystrokes - Comments?
May 18, 2011

I've been looking at the comments on Keystrokes.  Have recently received a job offer and wondering if there are any new developments since the last post I can find (March).  Is anyone working there currently?  If so, how is job volume/flow?  How many lines are you able to get in straight transcription on the DocQScribe platform?  Info is appreciated! ...

Here It Is, MTSO's: If You Don't Like The Bad Comments,
Jul 19, 2011

nm ...

QA Comments In FIESA
Sep 30, 2012

So sick of the comments left in the FIESA - I do NOT leave random blanks and always take the time to try and research it in the data base by either looking up patient or physician depending on what I am looking for and then when I cannot find it I leave a blank and then at end of day to see their remark that it WAS EASILY found is truly an insult and a smack in the face.  I DID try and find it and maybe they are more experienced then I am or they may have heard of this physician and how is ...

Landmark: Any Comments? Thanks.
Oct 25, 2012

. ...

Another Physician's Comments On Using The EMR
Nov 23, 2012

Below is a link to a NY Times editorial.  "The advent of electronic medical records has been a boon to patient safety and physician efficiency in many ways. But it has also brought with it a slew of “timesaving” tricks that have had some unintended consequences. These tricks make it so easy for doctors to document the results of standard exams and conversations with patients that it appears more and more of them are being documented without ever having happened in the first pla ...

UGH's COMMENTS BELOW - MEDIATOR
Dec 12, 2012

MEDIATOR, someone needs to take note of "Ugh's" comments below, contemplating suicide.  Surely, that e-mail address could be intercepted and the appropriate "counselor" contact this person. ...

Amphion? Any Comments
Apr 28, 2013

Any comments about Amphion? I feel I'm about to get the boot from MModal and have started checking out other ads. Amphion looks okay for what I want - VR and PT employee status, but their requirement about being tech savvy intimidates me. I can download and save a file, but I'm not good at troubleshooting - I'm an old time MT who started out on a typewriter, so this sort of thing is more out of my realm. It looks like they provide IT help only sparingly. Any comments? ...

Encompass - Thoughts/comments
Feb 23, 2010

Any thoughts/comments on working for the company Encompass? ...

Threatening Comments By MQ Recruiter
Nov 08, 2011

I think it's terrible that an MQ recruiter is on this board alluding to threatening MQ employees and former MQ employees about voicing their opinions about this company and that somehow they can figure out who we are.  Does she/he honesly believe she/he is the only recruiter at MQ ?  Just goes to show you what types of people work for that company.  I think she/he should be reported to MQ for what she/he is doing.  If they are the only recruiter someo ...