A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Large company sending your equipment next day - JohnLopresti

Posted: Nov 23, 2010

Does anyone know of a legal recourse for work injuries caused by company equipment?  A market leader, at-the-time generous transcription company sent me an old fashioned monitor, which after years of looking at it caused ocular saccades (lateral jitter of eyes).  Also, they downgraded to cheap earphones with a solenoid in them that thumped, decreasing hearing permanently, evidently, in the solenoid fitted side of the headset.

I think the saccades are diminished to absent now, but vision seems permanently affected.  Hearing in the impacted ear is about half the clarity it was at hire.

I see potential here for a protracted legalistic exercise yielding nothing in compensation, as, after ten years with the company, the damage has plateaued.

Still love those doctors, though; and the good transcription outfits who are kind, smart, and take care of both clients and employees.

proof - mymt

[ In Reply To ..]
Have you seen doctors all along documenting this and the supposed cause?

I know it's harder and harder to get carpal tunnel compensation, and unless you've kept excellent medical records, reported to the equipment provider in a timely fashion, etc, not sure what your recourse would be.

Hope you're feeling better!

are you kidding me - MT19+years

[ In Reply To ..]
10 years ago the company you work for provided you with equipment, which at that time was probably a bulky monitor because that is what was available, oh, and bad headphones - - so instead of helping yourself out, by buying yourself a better monitor as technology progressed or buying yourself better headphones which are not that expensive - - - - you are looking to file suit???

every profession comes with it's risks and benefits, some big some small - where does the responsibility of the employee to protect themselves begin?

19 years later, I do not have carpal tunnel, nor do I have eye, neck or back issues - why because I take common sense measures to protect my own self interest - my body!!!

what's next?? parents wanting to file for SS disability because the children they brought into this world caused them stress and anxiety?

I mean really... it's not like the old fashion monitor jumped off your desktop and smacked you in the head

Nahh, don't worry. Lopresti is known for constantly trying - to find ways to get money like this.

[ In Reply To ..]
I can only imagine what it would be like to be around the guy. He is a real diva! LOL

I thought - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
maybe at first this was a jokester post!!!! I hope the medical problems can be solved, but other than that it gave me a laugh.

LOL - monitor jumped and smacked head - PedalPshr

[ In Reply To ..]
fricken hilarious! Thanks for the laugh

It's called workers' compensation - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
In most states there are filing deadlings from the time that you knew you had an injury - not necessarily from the date of the injury itself, but from the time you knew you had an injury - and that filing deadline is typically 30 days.

If this has been going on for years and you have not documented it with your employer, your SOOL. Also, as the other poster suggested, why did you not invest a little bit in your own welfare and buy some decent equipment of your own? It's tax deductible even if you're an employee.

Call one of the attorneys on TV...one may jump in! - AT

[ In Reply To ..]
Over 35 years now with different screens and lighting and NO ergonomics for this profession, we have constant ailments we have to wonder about. Yes, the eyes. Good for you who have had no problems. God also didn't create us equal, so because you are fine in one area, doesn't mean everyone is. Weight and exercise are a huge downside for transcribers. Typing to make minimum wages and long hours with no benefits cause many health risks. It is costly to come up with equipment money also when your paycheck goes to the bills and trying to make a comfortable living. If this just means a study to see how much eye damage and hearing is done in this profession...I support it. If he finds a class-action he would be helping us all. We need someone to care.

Similar Messages:

Sending Back Equipment???
Mar 11, 2010

I am working on sending back my equipment for MQ and just got the mailing slips in the mail today.  The sheet that comes along with it tells me I'm not required to send back the foot pedal, speaker, keyboard or mouse.  This makes no sense to me.....anyone been here before??  Did you just send everything back regardless??  Please help. ...

Small Versus Large Company?
Dec 15, 2011

I am wondering what the pros and cons are for working for a smaller company versus a larger one?  I work for a small company and this is the only one I have worked for, but find myself lately wondering if I need to move on as I am afraid that my skills I learned may be deteriorating and there has been such a lack of communication.  I realize that every place is different, but I need some opinions from others that have been in the field longer than myself.  Thanks. ...

Left Main Coronary Artery Of The Large Vessel Which S/l (traficakes) Into Large LAD...
Aug 29, 2010

left main coronary artery of the large vessel which s/l (traficakes) into large LAD... ...

Company Still Sending Emails.
Aug 18, 2012

I quit working for On-Time Transcription due to VR and lack of income; also the fact they sold to Accentus.  I get emails almost daily where QA is complaining about this or that.  I've replied asking that she remove my email address as I quit and would really appreciate never hearing from this company again.  I've received two more today.  Ugh.  Just shows how they are unable to get things done. ...

Can I Take A Poll? If You Work For A Semi-large To Large Co. SM
Sep 06, 2014

Here in the US, what are you making (without naming names) per line for straight typing and for VR?I see, below, about OTI lowering to 6.5 CPL straight type and I was just recently offered a job at 7 CPL straight type (as an IC).  I thought that was the going rate nowadays for company work.  Am I wrong?  Are there still some out there that pay a decent wage? ...

Sending Resume On Company Apps
Sep 12, 2011

Does anyone know how to send your resume when you fill out the online application at a company's website?  There is the usual blank (tiny window) and to the right of that box it states browse.  When you click on browse it takes you to where your resume is located on your computer, and then instead of actually putting your resume into the app, it just puts where your resume is located.  For the life of me, I can't figure out how to do this.  If someone would be so ki ...

Shoudn't TSMs Know Company Policy BEFORE Sending
Jul 08, 2013

we're told internet outage is not acceptable reason not to work and to find alternative such as WiFi, etc. in a not so nice tone.  Now we're told this is NOT acceptable (use of WiFi) as according to company policy.  Make up your mind will ya?  This TSM deserves a critical error deduction for misinformation (and the attitude).   Shouldn't they be required to know company policy before taking on their position?  ...

Company Equipment
Apr 29, 2010

Do you know of any companies who provide the equipment for MTs who work at home, such as the foot pedal and the headsets? ...

Company Provides Equipment..
May 24, 2013

I was just wondering how it works if the company provides you with all the equipment? (except for the monitor).  Does this cause any problems for you?  I've always used my own equipment ... TY for any feedback. ...

Would You Stay With Your Company If They Started Sending Some Work Overseas?
May 11, 2012

My company has begun, one by one, sending accounts overseas.  We only have one account left being typed by those of us in the US, and I imagine that one is going over there soon.  They lie to us about where the work is going or tell us that there's just not a lot coming in.  But MT's can go into each job typed and also see the amount of work coming in.  It's obvious that the jobs are now being typed by people whose first language is not English.  I'm ...

So I Hear MM Is Just About The Only Company That Provides All Equipment....
Aug 08, 2014

needed, the computer, software, foot pedal, and monitor.  While it definitely is NOT good enough reason to work for this company I wonder why they haven't started making their employees provide their own equipment like all the other companies.....doesn't make sense.  ...

If A Company Has Provided You With Equipment, When You Quit, Sm
Oct 27, 2014

do they hold your final check until they receive the equipment? My payday is supposed to be Friday and they were supposed to send me the tags to send back the equipment, but I have not received them yet, and I am thinking I will maybe not be paid on Friday if they have not received the equipment. TIA ...

Someone Explain To Me How I Am Supposed To Return My Equipment To A Company
Oct 30, 2011

that immediately locked me out of company email and no one is answering the phone at corporate headquarters? I resigned a week a couple of weeks ago.  It was all very cordial and professional.  I sent an email outlining my reasons for leaving, thanking them for the opportunity to work of the company, and closed with please let me know how and to where you would like me to ship your equipment.  I get an email basically accepting my resignation and informing that someone from the ...

Large Boy IV
Jun 15, 2010

First sentence after GI bleed: Large boy IV was placed.  Any help will be appreciated.    ...

Off Large Or Of Large
Aug 04, 2011

is it of large or off large   Urinalysis in my office today showed proteinuria off large, blood off large..??? ...

As Large As Transcend Has Become, With So Many
Jun 10, 2011

MTs, you would think they could make their paydays every other Friday, instead of twice a month. ...

Large MT Companies
May 27, 2013

Can someone tell me the names of any medium or large size MT companies that are NOT owned by Nuance and where you get benefits for full-time employee status (I'm not looking for IC status). Also, if the company happens to be great to work for (ha!) please let me know. ...

Does Landmark Transcribe For A Large
Sep 21, 2012

nm ...

Headset With Mic And Large Earpads
Nov 14, 2012

Anyone know of a reasonably priced headset with microphone (not wireless) that has the big ear pads that fit over the whole ear not just on the ear.  I'm talking an ear pad about 2-1/2 x 3 inches.  The one I'm using isn't all that tight, it's just that after a whole day one of my ears hurts from even the small amount of pressure.  I need stereo.  Hoping for under $100. ...

Getting My Own Work In Large Metro
Jan 07, 2013

I live in a large metro area with many physician offices and lawyer offices.  I am a great transcriptionist and am currently doing just a couple of files a month (I know it's so little).  I need more work and am going to try getting my own.  Can I just drop off a letter to the offices?  I am thinking about doing $1.25 per audio minute or 10 or 12 cents per 65-character line.  Any advice on this method or the rates?  Thanks.  ...

I Just Got An E-mail That There Is A Large Backlog.
Mar 29, 2015

I will work my 40 but I am not going to do OT. I wish Mmodal would get a clue and start paying living wages.  ...

These Days, One Can Assume That ALL Large MTSOs
Mar 04, 2010

I mean, REALLY!  Where are the good ones anymore?  NOWHERE!  Granted, there are still some small, mom & pop MT companies out there (fewer and more far-between than ever) who are decent to work for.  But the biggies?  All them are cut from the same cookie-cutter, and all aspire to be just as evil as that Monopoly Of Mediocrity, MQ.   I cringe whenever I hear they have once again shafted their employees, because without fail, all the other ...

Large Mass Of Left Breast.
Mar 08, 2010

Patient noticed bleeding from underneath her left breast.  A large mass was noted, which she thought was secondary to s/l "hider-in-dias."  Biopsy showed grade 3 infiltrating ductal carcinoma which was ER/PR negative.   Thanks! ...

Wound S/l Decoupment? Sentence: Large
Mar 11, 2010

was placed for wound DECOUPMENT?  TIA ...

Large Hospital Accouts?? Can You Make $$
Feb 16, 2012

I just found out I am being placed on an acute care account for a hospital that has over 500 physicians! Is there really a way to make a decent income from on an account that large? It doesn't seem to me that I would get the same physicians very often, making it much more difficult to get used to their speech patterns, normals, etc. I believe this account will also be partly VR editing. Will that be any easier with that many physicians?? ...

Did Anyone Else Just Agree To A Nightshift Job For A Large Hospital
Sep 18, 2014

...in case there is more than one, in particular I am referring to one on the LG supe team? Is it going offshore soon? Wondering why I was moved. Not alot to do. Very curious.  ...

Help With Med. Patient Has Quite A Large List Of Meds. Sm
Apr 27, 2015

She is status post a thyroidectomy, is being treated for a DVT with Coumadin, has migraine headaches and tremor.  Med s/l basslid or vasslid???  I got nothin!!! Thanks so much! ...

EGD--two Large Areas Of "fingers' Of Inflammation
Feb 24, 2011

in the esophagus!   Fingers??  ...

What Mid-size To Large Companies Are Left That Are Not Part Of MQ?
Feb 06, 2012

I want to work as an employee and have benefits. I need health insurance and really want PTO.  I want a company big enough to be busy but I CANNOT AND WILL NOT  work for MQ again.  I thought that DSG was the answer for me and have enjoyed working there the last 2 years.  Yesterday was my last day as I refuse to be an MQ employee even for a day.  I have a small savings account, and my husband has a decent job, so I am not desperate but I will need to be working within the ...

Anyone On The Large Hospital Group In Central Va That Start With
Jul 05, 2013

Hi, I was on this account working directly for the hospital when we ended up outsourced, first to Transcend and then with Nuance when they took over. Back in the day, we got a TON of compliments for our work. However, at this time, I do not know a single person who used to work for them that is still there.  I ran into a friend who still works in house in med records the other day, and she said the quality on the work has been ghastly! I am not trying to say any of you guys are responsible ...