A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

In filling out paperwork for SoftScript, I note I have to give them permission to check my driving - JSMT

Posted: Sep 24, 2010

record.  That's a new one on me.  I work at home and no driving is involved, so why would they care?  It's bad enough companies routinely check credit scores, now this.  More and more it feels an invasion of privacy, and if I am using my own equipment in my own home, why would anyone care if my credit sucks or if I am a horrific drive?  Oh well ...

I know, right? - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
This is getting ridiculous for these employment "at home" positions.

nope, time to draw the line in the sand. Give me a good reason - or *** forget it !! no mess.

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Driving records check - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
Unless you are going to be driving as part of your job, this is an intrusion on your privacy. I would contact the ACLU and ask if they still have their privacy project going, or if there are other privacy groups you can be referred to. What your driving record is like is not their business. Your credit score is not their business, either, unless they are going to hold the paper for your mortgage or give you a loan--NOT! It is time we all just said NO to this kind of baloney sausage.

Among other things, its a way to find out your age. - Age-discrimination is rampant lately! nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I believe you an refuse to provide driving record - Sylvia

[ In Reply To ..]
on the basis that it provides age-related information. I really would like to see some lawyer jump on these people.

WHAT NEXT DRUG TESTS - SEND YOUR URINE IN THE MAIL!!! give me a break... - oaf

[ In Reply To ..]
ENOUGH ALREADY!!! NEXT IT WILL BE OUR BIRTH CERTIFICATES.
Ha ha! I think once pot is legalized in CA, I may - have to take up smoking it,
[ In Reply To ..]
just to get me through the aggravation of a typical day in the at-home MT field.

;D

I agree, at-home employees should not be subject to driving record, drug, health or age scrutiny.
Once pot is legalized in California.....sm - Go Prop 19
[ In Reply To ..]
I am moving there! I wish! My sister-in-law says it is way expensive to live there. Just give me a dome tent, a jar of peanut butter, and internet service so I can work!
haha! with a dome tent, p-butter and internet, you - would fit right in on the sidewalks of SF or LA!
[ In Reply To ..]
Diskriter requires a drug test. - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Inhouse at a hospital (where drugs are kept)? Sure. - At home in my own bedroom? Nuh-uh. n/m
[ In Reply To ..]
they're not testing because of access to drugs - Happy MT Robin
[ In Reply To ..]
they're testing because a person who uses recreational drugs on a regular basis tends to be less effective than a person who does not.

I hate drug tests, personally, and have had to take them a couple of times to work at a hotel.
I don't object to a drug test -- I am handling confidential medical records sm - JSMT
[ In Reply To ..]
but the other stuff seems irrelevant and intrusive.
Do you handle them before or after they go offshore? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Why snipe at me? I hate offshoring as much as anyone. nm - JSMT
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Just thought it was funny you think these records are - confidential. How confidential can SM
[ In Reply To ..]
they be when they go offshore.
Well, I signed a confidentiality agreement, so for me, they are confidential. sm - JSMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I am only responsible for my part. I am disgusted by the predominance of offshoring in our industry, and I used to think that if the majority of the American people knew their records were going overseas, they would be outraged, but that seems not to be the case ... sigh.
I see your point. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Happy MTRobin - Nick
[ In Reply To ..]
I do not use drugs, never have,never will. (I don't even smoke regular cigarettes, never mind the wacky tabacky.) I would always refuse to take a drug test on civil liberties grounds. The more we acquiesce to these kinds of demands, the more our privacy gets chipped away.
drug testing - n/a
[ In Reply To ..]
Some at home companies do what you to take a drug test.

Ive had problems in the past filling out online - job applications, because they - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
often have "date of birth" or "date you attended school" as REQUIRED FIELDS. So it's impossible to skip them.

One time I was applying to a large medical center. When faced with the required fields that would give away my age and experience, I called HR and asked if I could either be mailed a hard-copy application, or if I could drive over to the medical center and apply in person. They said no, they only take online applications. So, I applied online, and wouldn't you know... was told the job was "filled", even though they kept on advertising it. It's not the first time this has happened, either.
My husband had this happen to him several times recently. - MA
[ In Reply To ..]
He was out of work for 5 months and applied online with at least 50 different companies. The only ones that called him for interviews were the ones that didn't ask for a birthdate. He's only 48 years old, but even when he went on the interviews, they openly told him that the positions he was apply for were high-energy positions that required long hours and he may have a hard time keeping up with the younger guys. He was applying in SALES for goodness sakes!

So I believe you when you say that companies are discriminating against age. It is SO illegal it's disgusting, but they all get away with it.

driving records? - heebie-jeebie

[ In Reply To ..]
jumping jackrabbits! first time i've ever heard of this for a non-driver sort of job!

years ago, i stopped putting my SSN on applications. once the job was offered and i accepted, i would provide it.

credit checks? unless i'm handling cash, etc., it's none of their beeswax. i was polite and all that when refusing, but i NEVER gave permission to have my credit report examined. (of course, having my SSN, it could have been done anyway.)

one more reason to go IC...or--if you're the entrepreneur type--go into business for yourself.

Similar Messages:

IMPORTANT NOTE. Check Your Line Counts.
May 25, 2010

I POSTED DOWN BELOW EARLIER ABOUT MESSED UP LINE COUNTS.  We are hitting the holiday weekend.  Line counts are off. Go to your statistics and type in date May 1 through May 15 and what does it show you? Go to your statistics and type in dates May 16 to todays date and what does it show you?  Type in May 19 to 21 or May 18 to 19 and what does it show you?  EVERYONE SHOULD CALL ON THIS.  Supposedly, there is not enough people calling for them to do anything about this. ...

Softscript Take Note Of Red Highlights
Jan 06, 2011

Five Biggest Manager Mistakes Are you appropriately recognizing your technologists' efforts? Here are common mistakes--and solutions. By John Schaefer Posted on: January 3, 2011   Jennifer was at the end of her rope. It was time for a new job, a position that would let her use all of her skill and experience. The exit interview was uneventful, and then she was finally free! Her manager was baffled. How could Jen leave? She was on the fast track, with great potential, numer ...

Any SoftScript Employees Who Can Give Me Advice?
Oct 03, 2012

Just hired. This is my 2nd week. Been an MT since 1986.  I get NO communication from my mentor or production manager. I added them to Yahoo messenger as instructed, but they have yet to accept my invite. I have asked questions of the production manager via email with absolutely no response. My mentor did answer one question via email.  Yesterday, problems with the software.  Down part of the day. Today, it loaded with an enlarged screen. Could not see physician area. Voxplayer ...

I Wonder If I Can Give SoftScript The Same Excuse For Not Working That They Gave Me Sm
Feb 18, 2011

when there was no work ... how about, "it is too sunny  to work?"  LOL   They are still running the ad portraying outsourcing as evil.  You'd think they would know the difference between outsourcing and offshoring. A few more days and it will not be my issue anymore ........ ...

SoftScript Mailed Check
Jan 12, 2011

Just curious if you have had a checked mailed to you for the last pay period if you have received it yet or not.  I was told mine was mailed the 6th but I still have not received it and just wondering if others have received theirs or not?  ...

Any MDI MTs Not Sending Their Paperwork In?
Nov 28, 2009

Just curious:  Any MDI MTs not feeling like jumping through the hoops, printing out the paperwork for Transcend on THEIR deadline even though we don't become official employees until Feb 1?  Anybody going to just quit and save yourself the hassle?  Doesn't seem quite fair to want MDI MTs to just say "how high"  when they say "jump" does it?  I'm just put out at how we've been treated.  Yeah, it's business, and that usually means it is okay t ...

Training Without New Hire Paperwork
Feb 16, 2010

I was hired into a company last week.  Now, I am asked to be trained without signing any new employee paperwork and to get started immediately.  I was told my paperwork would come via email and I should sign and send it back, but I have yet to receive anything,but I am being pushed to start transcribing reports.  Might this be so that they can decide if they want me to stay or not.  Are they trying to see my work first before they send me the full employee packet.  ...

Can They Legally Do This? My Hire Paperwork
Mar 02, 2010

states my pay per line, nothing about 5% submission rate.  Can the rules be changed so drastically, virtually cutting my pay in half for ASR (I make 6.3 cpl for ASR)? ...

According To MM's Paperwork, Their Latest Version Of
Feb 14, 2015

Fluency now works with Windows 8 and 8.1 64-bit.  Has anyone verified this or had any trouble with it?  TIA! ...

I Just Faxed My Paperwork To OTI. Does Anyone Know How Quickly I Might Start After That? TIA Nm
Feb 11, 2011

Anyone Know How Long It Takes For Raise To Go Through Once Paperwork Is Submitted By CCM?
Nov 13, 2009

It has been 9 years since my one and only raise, so after hassling CCM for last few months, she finally got on the ball with it.  First, I had to have an audit, which was done on 10/01 and my score was 99.89, so she went ahead with the paper work.  She told me a couple of days ago via IM that the paperwork had been submitted (however she failed to say when).  Soooo, my question is....how long does it take for it to go through? ...

I Am Putting In My Paperwork For The Andrew's School For Medical Coding And I Am Nervous
Oct 01, 2013

Hi Friends: My name is Suzanne and I am sending in my paperwork to enroll in the Andrew's School for Medical Coding and I am nervous.  I am nervous because I do know I can do it, but what about my age of 57.  I am too old for studying for this field?  I am a medical transcriptionist and have been for 12 years and I am a fast thinker and learner and I know I can do it, but what about the Affordable Care Act and the jobs being outsourced like medical transcription. Can you ...

Driving Me Crazy!
Dec 03, 2010

This physician, not a resident either, is SPELLING words like -- no joke -- chest, lungs, abdomen and with every date, telling me to put the slash marks in.  Whatdehay does he think I'm getting paid for?  I am supposed to know s-o-m-e-t-h-i-n-g !!!!  oh my goodness.  I just had to tell someone that understands. Thanks for listening. ...

Driving Me Crazy!!
Dec 30, 2010

I wish there was a program for MTs that would take "..um.." out of dictations.  ...

NJA Driving Me Crazy
Feb 28, 2011

I'll take terrible ESLs, 30-second reports - anything over NJA.  Makes me crazy.  I sit here, hands hovering above the keyboard, breath bated, just waiting for a job - any job.  The transcription schools keep churning out grads, and those grads keep posting on these forums, asking who's hiring?  where can they find work?  who hired newbies? - but even veterans don't have work.  How am I supposed to pay my mortgage?  ...

This Is Driving Me NUTS!!
Dec 15, 2011

When I am transcribing, I am hitting some key combination that is turning my type to all caps.  It's not the caps lock or it would show it was on.  Transcribing as fast as all of us do it is impossible to figure out what I am hitting to make this happen.  Does anyone have any ideas???  So appreciative!!! :) ...

Driving Me Crazy!!!
Dec 04, 2012

I never do this.  I always figure the anonyances are part of the job, but this is making me CRAZY!!! I have a NP who dictates 15-20 min dictations and really only should be about 5 mins.  I have to speed her up like crazy.  Her favorite thing is the dictate at the busiest station around and pauses FOREVER because she's sooooo nosy and has to make sure she listens to everyone elses conversations around her. Seriously?  Are we 13 yrs old and in junior high now???  ...

QA Driving Me Kinda Nuts!
Jul 02, 2012

The comments seem extremely picky to me and almost harrassing.  It seems I cannot do anything right.  Really tired today and it's been a bad day overall and now this.  just needed to vent.  I have a feeling I have not heard the last from the QA lady that hovers over me all day.  Thanks for listening. ...

WORD HELP Driving Me Crazy!
Jul 13, 2012

I have a doctor who says this all the time:  Three views bilateral foot were obtained.  I always want to change it to bilateral feet.  Which is right foot or feet?   ...

Orthopedic Word...driving Me Crazy...help Please!
Feb 15, 2012

Orthopedic foot examination....discussing radiographic findings and he is clearly stating anciopathic/enciopathic....have searched and only gotten a result of angiopathic, which is not what he is saying. Am I having a complete mental block or are my ears decieving me??   Complete phrase states: "Radiograph shows a Haglund deformity and just the subtle start of some anciopathic changes at the insertion of the Achilles tendon." ...

My Drink Game Word Was 'driving'
Oct 15, 2012

Grrrrrrrrr! This Doctor Is Driving Me Nuts!!
Aug 02, 2013

ESL, after saying the headings, repeats them along with adding a few more words, but it still means the same damn thing, says "umm you know" after almost every other word, keeps saying "feeded" instead of fed. VR has not learned him at all, so I'm having to delete every other word and all the "umm you knows".  13 minutes worth of this crap.  And 20 minutes later I'm not even done with it yet. This is going to be a very long day......... Can't forget about getting paid h ...

Time Scheduler Is Driving Me NUTS!
Dec 01, 2014

Where did they get her?  She has NEVER gotten an entry right on my time card!  Every time we have had technical downtime, she has screwed it up; adding the wrong times, deleting my punches, and replacing them with something she apparently made up.  I have e-mailed her specific times I worked, in a list format.  All she had to do was make sure it matched.  She can't even do that right!  We went back and forth in e-mail 4 times, before I finally gave up and made ...

We're In The Driver's Seat, So Why Aren't We Driving?
May 21, 2015

A national work stoppage of 2 days would be sufficient to arrest the downward spiral and bring MTSOs to a bargaining position.  So, why hasn't it happened? I guarantee you that none of the horrible consequences that you might believe would happen would occur.   ...

FILLING OUT JOB APPLICATIONS
Oct 05, 2010

When you are applying on line for a position for employment, what do you put for business references.   This job wants three business references.  I do not want my current job to know I am looking.  Working at home I do not have many business references.  ...

SS And Filling Out Demos Etc
Jan 08, 2012

For those of you waiting to know just how bad you will be taken at SS regarding all the time spent filling in demos and other "stuff." Number of keystrokes on 22 different jobs that count NOT towards your line count and this is generous as there were many more keystrokes that didn't count that weren't included in the numbers below…  Job 1:  28 Job 2:  27+ Job 3:  41 Job 4:  40 Job 5:  39 Job 6:  38 Job 7:  39 Job 8:  52 Job ...

Filling In Demographics And All The
Oct 03, 2012

Exactly - Agreed Posted: Oct 2nd, 2012 - 10:39 pm In Reply to: FYI - Anonymousno one inhouse or outhouse pays for filling in demographics and it is quite plainly wrong when paid on a production basis - at least in America. We are not indentured servants but are heading there - if not already there - by working without being paid for all characters transcribed including demographics. The MTSOs just don't want to expend the money or effort to adjust the technology to count everything they ha ...

Filling In Tables
Oct 30, 2012

We have a couple of doctors who do complicated tables in some of their reports. It's a real production killer!!! ...

QA Driving Me Nuts. I Dont Mind Criticism But
Jul 24, 2012

Seriously how do you mark me for not putting a comma in when I have a QA marker preceeding it..Obviously I missed a word, the dictator rots, sorry..So instead of adding all that extra crap in..If you had just stuck to what I put, I may have learned something..Instead, my mind is going in 90 directions and I marked it as read and moved on..Waste of my time.  And when I put one through QA for a repeat word I feel I should know and just have never heard it or cant document it, then I NEVER see ...

Question About Filling Out Applications
Feb 01, 2010

I am starting to apply for other jobs (not MT after 35 years).  When filling out my current employer I always put NJ as the address of the company, but should I put my current supervisor's name in as a contact or should they contact the main office?  I really don't want my supe to know I'm looking for another job yet.  TIA. ...