Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: IC worker.. (Views: 30)

kind of offensive to say a lot are like that - not my experience

Posted: Mar 15th, 2022 - 10:43 pm In Reply to: It's ironic how much a company wants you to know - sm

I'm nearing completion of court reporting school and have interned on depositions. It is THE MOST DIFFICULT thing I have ever done. The reporters I've been with don't put up with bad audio in a Zoom depo. Even the attorneys will stop if the audio is bad. All the reporters have been meticulous and work hard on an accurate transcript. The attorneys demand it, too. But the reporters in my area find their own scopists, if they even use one, I know some who don't, and they are usually local too. They don't go through legal transcription companies.
I think a big problem in the field is the same that happened to MT. The MTSO's came in, and the quality of the dictations and audio were allowed to get beyond horrible. We as MTs were expected to be perfect with crappy dictation to work with. No one would dare step in and upset a "client" by telling a doctor they had to clean up their dictation habits. Now it's anything goes and the MT has to make something out of slop.
Sad that is happening with court reporting. There are some MTSO like deposition franchises that don't seem to hire or demand quality of their reporters. Some states don't even have state or national certification requirements to work depos, so some students drop out of school at less than graduation speeds (180, 200, 225 wpm) and then attempt to do depositions and don't have the speed or skill.
Just wanted to give a different perspective rather than lumping all as deadbeat, unprofessional idiots.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)