A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Few ideas on what I avoided for years- IT and a medical dict etc. - dllll

Posted: Oct 03, 2010

I think I have to change my ideas about some things I did the old-fashioned way.  I've tried to kind of summarize the things I've learned from a new job:

1.  I just started a new job and FOR YEARS I have avoided Instant Text-- Now I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.   I am new, but I don't know why I did not try it years ago.  It is not hard to expand the things with the [ and the ;.  Don't know why I thought it would be.  Everything in 1 place, not some in Autocorrect or Autotext, etc., and I can save my glossaries and move them with me.  Not an advertisement, but man all those years of making expanders and then losing them when I went to another place--Never again. 

2.  Maybe it is that I am on Qwest DSL, but I just love the typing and the Instant Text.  For years I had cable, but am now on Qwest DSL and typing just seems so smooth and nice.  Cheaper, too, as my family always reminds me.  At least cheaper here.

3.  I used to always search Google!  What a waste!  THey have Stedmans and a Drug Reference of some kind  on the computer.  I guess I was just too old fashioned or cheap to get one!  What a dumb bunny I have been.  I just thought I was being modern by searching Google for the last ? 7 years.   Sorry for a long post, but I cannot really fathom why I never got Steadmans to put on my computer or a drug reference on the computer.  What a time saver!   I guess I thought I was saving money by not spending the money, but this is sooo much easier than Googling everything.

I ought to title this confessions of an old MT, but anyway, hope it helps someone get motivated to invest in a few items.  I kept going to do it, but kept having to change jobs because of losing accounts and being off-shored and etc, just always busy.  Anyway, hope it helps somebody to save time and make a little more money. 

Electronic Stedmans - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
The version of Stedmans that I have at work is not the most comprehensive, maybe we haven't been getting all of the updates. Sometimes I will start there but if I don't find what I need Google it anyway. I like using the web search engines, there is access to much more information than you would find in a medical dictionary. Your E-Drug reference will become outdated quickly if you don't keep it updated and you'll end up using the internet anyway. I'm not sure why you would prefer DSL over cable but I guess it's different depending on where a person lives. I'm glad the changes you made work for you and glad you are happy on your new job.

Thanks. I don't really know if DSL made the difference or if just the software- - dlll

[ In Reply To ..]
It may be just that it is the difference in softwares.

Thanks. Of course, still Google, as you stated. It is just that sometimes I have to look up basic words-- especially since re-building my expander once again, that is why I am happy about Instant Text, hopefully this is the last time I will have to build one up.

But you are correct about Steadman's and the drug index getting outdated. I just wanted people to know if they have avoided them, like I have, that they are a nice addition and that it is probably worth having them.

Thank you so much for your good wishes. Yes, I got a much nicer job than I thought I could get. Of course I would love to share, but very small and I got it by posting resume, I do not know if they got it from here or another place. I got it because of praying, although I hesitate to say that because I know many people pray and still get discouraged about the job situation. It is easy to do, because it is so difficult right now. But, keep praying and hoping and in the end God will not let you down. Keep praying.

Thank you so much for the information. It helps, every bit of information people give here helps. It does encourage me to use all the resources.

Don't forget to back up your vocab files - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't have mine backed up at one point last year and my computer crashed. Oh, that hurt.

I now make a point to back up my vocabulary file to an external hard drive at least once a week and sometimes more if I've added a lot of stuff to it. Doing that has saved my bacon a couple of times in the last year; it especially was helpful when I was moving back and forth between the desk top and lap top, so that way I always had the most current versions of my shortcuts.
Good message, DLLL. For sure back up those files! They - Fellow Traveller
[ In Reply To ..]
grow amazingly quickly. I think at this point if I somehow lost my main dictionary I might prefer to start growing vegetables for the farmer's market over starting over. Over 40K entries, and it would make my computer the first thing I grabbed in a fire (over the baby albums!) except that I e-mail it to my personal computer (where I also use it), my husband's office in another part of the house, and to our son in another town.

Similar Messages:

25+ Years Medical Transcriptionist Considering
Apr 29, 2013

Hello:  I am 58 years old and have been doing medical transcription for 25+ years.  The group I transcribe for online is transitioning over to total EMR, thus will be leaving me without a job in the not too distant future.  I don't do Acute care, so there are next to no opportunities for other transcription jobs.  There are no jobs to be had in my very, very small town (including the 25-bed hospital) so I'm considering going with online classes for training and cert ...

A Medical Transcriptionist Of 10 Years Lost Her Job Today
May 17, 2011

Dear Fellow Transcriptionists: I just want to vent and tell you what happened to me today.  I lost my job today because I got a 97.9 on my quality review, which was done on my work in about 3 years. I was working as an independent contractor and I was told that I was being terminated and when I asked if I could be put on another account, they said they were not hiring employees just independent contractors, no employees. I am so upset. I have been a transcriptionist for 10 years this ...

Career Change After 20 Years Of Medical Transcription
Dec 22, 2013

Anybody got any ideas for a career change for someone that has been doing medical transcription for 20 years? ...

What Would Be A Reasonable Hourly Wage For A Medical Transcriptionist Of 12.5 Years?
Nov 30, 2012

Hi: I have worked for the same hospital for 12.5 years, so there is a lot of loyalty there. I live in a southern state in the USA. I get paid an hourly pay plus $0.47 incentive for anything over 90 minutes. My hourly pay to me is low, but not below $10.00 an hour. Is 20.00 per hour appropriate or am I wrong? Thanks in advance for the advice. PS: I am not here for a debate just want to know what is a good hourly pay for 12.5 years. Thanks, Mel ...

I Have Not Worked In 6 Years, And Only Have 3 Months Experience, Is There Hope In Finding A Medical
Jul 05, 2012

I graduated from a local Technical College with a Certificate in Medical Transcription. I had spent a year searching for a company that would hire someone new, but had no luck. Then, out of the blue a local company had seen my resume and offered me a job. I got the job, but the thing was I was almost 7 months pregnant with my second child! I had only worked a couple months until our baby was born and after consideration, decided not to come back so I could be with our baby full-time. Well, it ha ...

After Years And Years Of Being IC, Obtained Employee Status At A Co. Sm
Nov 26, 2012

Thought that after not having enough work for a couple years now and always chasing work, I'd now have a "real job" as an employee and wouldn't have to worry about a steady paycheck and paying the bills anymore. The reason I thought this was because at the interview and in their professional company emails, they use all the "real job" words:  Shift, scheduled hours, overtime, PTO, benefits, etc.  I felt relieved to finally have a "job." What a big bunch of BS! I was "hired" ...

3 Years. Question: How Many More Years Do You Plan To Be An MT/editor?
Dec 20, 2013

There is much speculation about the field of transcription - how many of us actually plan to be here 5 years, 10 years, 20 years from now. I realize that the field is going to change, which will contribute to your answer. Will there be enough transcriptionists/editors to fill the need in 5 years and in 10 years? Will the industry be forced out of offshoring because of taxes? Will there be a need even for editors if VR gets better? These are all unanswered questions, but my question is, what ...

I Worked For M*Modal A Couple Of Years Ago Or So And I Worked For Medquist Several Years Ago.
Aug 08, 2014

Lately, I've been getting legal notices mailed to my home from I believe the east coast somewhere informing me of a class action lawsuit against M*Modal and inviting me to joint if I have a claim.  I don't think I have a claim, but then again with all the shady practices in this business, I'm not so sure.  I'm just curious what the heck is going on. Anyone care to give me the lowdown? ...

Any Ideas??
Feb 12, 2012

Help! I am transcribing from some tapes, yes tapes, and the sound quality is extremely poor.  Wondering if anyone knows if conference mode versus dictation mode makes any difference in sound quality.  Need to do something.  Digital would be best if I can convince them to change.  Thanks for any suggestions. ...

Need Some Ideas.
May 24, 2012

Well this whole transcription thing is not going well. Duh! With a really bad work schedule, an hour commute each way and now the threat of the hospital outsourcing our department, I am trying to think of something I can do from home besides work for peanuts for a MTSO. I am expecting my first child soon and really want to be home with him.  Does anyone have a friend or family member who has successfully implemented her own business (perhaps with a transcription background) and if so, ...

Any Ideas?
Dec 11, 2013

Tried testing for Accentus, but my foot pedal would not play the voice file.  It did absolutely nada.  I could not go backward or fast forward.  I was able to hear the test voice file just fine, so I went ahead and hit the tab to take the test.  I transcribed 4 words, went to back up, and I couldn't.  Any suggestions as to why my stinking foot pedal would not work?  It works fine when I am transcribing for my present service.    ...

Ideas??
Apr 07, 2015

Hi Guys/Gals,   I am dictating a doctor who sounds like he has a mouthful of marbles.  Under Physical Exam he states, "Abdomen is soft, no _____megaly.  It is not organomegaly because I have transcribed this doctor many times and it sounds nothing like it.  Any ideas on what else it could be?  ...

Any Ideas Of Another Career In Which I Can...
Apr 15, 2010

put all of this wonderful medical terminology to good use?  Don't want to be a nurse.  I hate needles and blood.  I am a very empathetic and compassionate person.  I really don't want to deal with the public/customers. ...

Ideas On Chairs
Jul 18, 2013

Hello all,  I have been in the transcription business now for 8 years and I have yet to find a comfortable chair! Comfort is everything when you are trying to stay in one spot to get a decent line count and when your butt is numb or tailbone hurts it's hard to do that!  Could you please share what kind of chairs you all have?  I am determined to buy one this weekend even if it is outrageously expensive!    TIA  ...

Why All The Scams Lately? Any Ideas?
Feb 09, 2014

Its getting sickening. ...

Any Ideas For Wording?
Mar 11, 2015

I am rewriting my resume to get out of the MT field.  Was wondering if anyone had any words or phrases that might help describe strengths the average MT has that would transfer to the "real world" ?  Thanks so much. ...

Does Not Sound Correct, Any Ideas?
Feb 04, 2010

This is typed exactly as said, but does not seem correct to me.   Examination of her tendo Achilles on the left does show some thickening in the primarily tendinous portion for about a 3 inch length.  She is mildly tender but it is markedly thickened.   tia. ...

Mentoring - Any Ideas Or Advice?
Mar 05, 2010

I am a recent grad and would like to start working part time however, I believe i need more experience in transcribing actual reports. I would like to have a "mentor" so that I can be more confident in my ability to transcribe and not be afraid to apply for a position as a medical transcriptionist. Can anyone give my any ideas or advice? ...

Footpedal Mystery, Ideas Anyone?
Dec 09, 2011

I need to work in bed for a few weeks due to a leg injury. Does anyone have any ideas so I can use my footpedal?  I have been trying to think of something to use besides pillows to hold it in place at the right angle but I'm not having much luck.  Figured one of my brilliant peers would have ideas!! ...

Deskjob Munchy Ideas
Jan 30, 2012

Hey fellow MTs, I don't know about any of you, but I constantly desire munchies or something of the like at my desk while I'm working.  As my waistline has been increasing steadily over the past few years, I was wondering if any of you have any healthy or even somewhat healthy munchy ideas.  So far I've gone from M&Ms and Hershey Kisses to peanuts and raisins, but...yeah...I wouldn't mind some other ideas.  Thanks all! ...

Ideas For New Comp Plan
Aug 15, 2012

Since it is obvious the new comp plan isn't done maybe we could give them help and point in the right direction.  I would love to hear what everyone thinks, good or bad.  Would you rather get paid hourly or by the line? How about a shift differential for the weekend? What about extra money per report for those accounts with multiple carbon copies and tedious demographic screens? Some companies consider FT and offer benefits at 32 hours, would that be something anyone would be ...

Need Good Ideas On Being Productive With
Sep 14, 2012

Will be many different clinics.  I am accustomed to acute care only but this account will be about 70 percent clinic and 30 percent acute care.  TIA ...

Anyone Have Any Other Work From Home Ideas?
Apr 04, 2013

So far, I'm still hanging in there with MT, wondering how long this will last, like many of us are. I'm prepared to get a job outside the home if need be and will be starting school soon, but am wondering if anyone might have the scoop on any other ideas to make a little money from home. ...

Scholarship Ideas Requested
May 14, 2013

Hi folks.  I'm an ex-MT of 32 years.  When I was 50 years old, I started college, got a degree in IT, and am now an IT Project Manager. I know the financial struggle my fellow MT's are going through, and I want to give something back to help others have the ability to feed their families once again and to stop losing their houses. I'm considering setting up a college scholarship fund.  It won't be overly large in the beginning, but it will be a start.  I ...

Careers MTs Switch To--Ideas?
Sep 06, 2013

What type of careers are any one of you who are leaving MT or who are former MTs are retraining for? I'm very undecided. I'm not too crazy about being in school a long time or least longer than 1-1/2 to 2 years. I thought about coding but heard that that field is changing too like MT. I would like to stay in the medical field but I'm not sure about the degree of direct patient contact I want. I thought about radiology technician but not really sure. Any ideas to at least all ...

Totally Baffled, Any Ideas?
Mar 21, 2014

Can anyone give me insight as to what I may be doing wrong here?  I applied to a large company as an IC for evening shift.  I passed the first interview, took the test and was told I scored very high and the QA score on the testing was 99.9%.  I have 20 years experience.  I have done straight transcription (250 plus lines per hour) and voice recognition (400 plus lines per hour) and was willing to do either one, was willing to work Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening shifts.& ...

What Are Some Good Career Ideas For An MT Who Wants
Apr 10, 2014

Besides coding... ...

Any Ideas How To Get Past Burn Out? Right Now, It's
May 01, 2014

not really feasible to look for another job outside home. I live in a very small town and care for my aging mother who is not in the best of health. Right now I'm really feeling a major period of burn-out with transcription. Most days, I'm ready to throw my hands up and quit, just walk away from it, but then I see my checkbook laying on my desk as a reminder that I can't do that. I'm tired of trying to understand mushmouth practitioners, those who talk at the speed of light, ...

Portable Computer Cart Ideas?
Feb 27, 2010

As my family leaves the next, I would like to be able to come out of my work "closet" and be able to set up in my family room by a big window.  However, when we have guests, I would like the option of moving the cart back into the closet.   Has anyone found anything that works for this?  The cart has to be sturdy enough to hold all the computer hardware including a printer.   So many that I see have a support or floor under them which would prohibit the use of a foo ...

Needing Help And Ideas Re: Googling V NonGoogling
Jun 14, 2010

I am about to take on an account where I work in the hospital's VPN.  Their VPN blocks the internet entirely.  I am used to quickly going to very good websites for dosages of drugs, spelling of difficult words and meanings of certain words which docs may say out of context.  But now I am about to experience a wall where I cannot get to the internet while typing on the hospital intranet.  Besides having to buy another computer, does anyone have any suggestions (aside from ...