A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Careers MTs switch to--Ideas? - Lacey

Posted: Sep 06, 2013

What type of careers are any one of you who are leaving MT or who are former MTs are retraining for? I'm very undecided. I'm not too crazy about being in school a long time or least longer than 1-1/2 to 2 years. I thought about coding but heard that that field is changing too like MT. I would like to stay in the medical field but I'm not sure about the degree of direct patient contact I want. I thought about radiology technician but not really sure. Any ideas to at least allow me to start researching is appreciated.

EKG tech? I think it looked pretty good. - GettinOut

[ In Reply To ..]
I did a little research, and the pay was good, time in school relatively short; however, it's not offered close enough for me. You can find more info using Google, but apparently it should be available at community colleges or tech schools.

I doubt coding will be off shored like medical transcription. It's too vital to medical providers and also often requires several certificates and pretty extensive education along with experience. Can't imagine it will be as easy to ship jobs away. In fact, in my local paper, the demand has been pretty high for coders and is expected to grow significantly, too.

Anyway, good luck to you!

I'm toying with Pharm tech - TAA eligible

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't want to spend a lot of time in school either, too close to retirement.

The thing about pharmacy tech is that the drug - Me

[ In Reply To ..]
Stores get tax credits for hiring people on welfare. If you aren't on welfare it will be difficult to get a job. My local CC has 2 pharm tech programs. One is about 15 weeks and you get a certificate and are eligible to sit for certification. We also have as associate's program. The short class can be done mostly on-line. The chain drug stores will hire you without either and train you or pay for schooling, but again if not on welfare it is near impossible to get hired.

The pay stinks! $10/hr - in-NYC-region

[ In Reply To ..]

It does, but you aren't going to find a job these days - me

[ In Reply To ..]
that pays what we made as MTs during the good days. If you don't have a job, then $10/hour is better than nothing. I would take it, but continue looking for something better.

i am going into social work - many years ahead of me in school

[ In Reply To ..]
but worth it. I have so much animosity for the medical billing and business side of medicine after I had an accident 2 years ago and have tons of medical bills I can't even fathom the thought of going that field, no matter how fast I would get a new job. I want a career where I can impact people's lives directly and not make the machine more money!!! UGH

Medical Billing/Coding - Bah

[ In Reply To ..]
Does medical billing/coding pay the same starvation amount or a bit more?

no but have fun selling your soul to work in billing - would rather flip burgers

[ In Reply To ..]
than do that.

I've always felt exactly the same. I've seen some - good ads for the kind of technical

[ In Reply To ..]
positions that have been created with all the new medical technology, and I have posted some here at times. These are on the patient care side of medicine and pay quite well for relatively little training, although if they're really new access may through already working in a hospital or technical facility. Some of these have been around long enough to require certification and specific course requirements, others have not.

In general, note that any position for which training is short and filled with people referred by high schools and employment department programs is going to be low pay, low respect. I'd avoid them like the plague, as dream-destroying traps, and that includes low-level medical billing.

Positions worth going for, that pay anywhere from $40-70K/year once established in the field (and if a person is smart and literate enough to do MT, why go for anything else?) are going to have either comparatively long training (1-1/2+ years) and/OR not enough people knowing about and training for a position to meet demand.

For those who can't afford long training periods at this point, I would STRONGLY suggest training for a lower-level position that would put one in line to eventually CONTINUE education toward a better-paying position in the same type of facility.

In other words, choose the LONG-TERM GOAL first and start heading for it. With a worthy goal to work toward, I would even consider a 3-month certificate in classes filled with high school dropouts fulfilling their probation officers' requirements IF that was a viable route toward it.
I know two medical coders very well, and they are happy - Leaving MT too
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't see why people keep putting coding down as a viable option. The only problem with it that I can foresee is possibly the field becoming saturated due to so many displaced MTs moving in that direction. However, the two people I know who are in coding both have excellent jobs, from short-term training. They continually attend continuing education events, but it is actually a good job, and they do very well with it.

Difference between billing and coding - Not the same thing

[ In Reply To ..]
There is a big difference between billing and coding.

Coding is the conversion of medical information into alphanumerical codes that describe diseases, signs, symptoms, health states, reasons for encounters with medical personnel, and treatments provided. This information is used for statistical purposes in healthcare, for quality assurance, public health, disease control, research, monitoring (cancer and other disease registries, for example), and SOME of it is used for reimbursement, without which the provision of medical care would be impossible.

Some professionals in this field have very little involvement with anything even resembling the collection of money from patients. They may be involved with the other aspects of coded data like research and data analysis, or they might even work for organizations that don't bill patients, like public health departments, charities, international aid organizations, and the Department of Defense/Veterans Affairs.

They might work as professional bill reviewers who help uninsured and underinsured patients, Medicare recipients, and victims of catastrophic diseases and accidents by sorting out charges, insisting on the removal of inappropriate charges, and negotiating reductions and payment plans.

They might even work as auditors who review bills and the evidence supporting them in order to detect error and fraud, recoup payments, and prosecute criminal physicians and healthcare entities.

THAT pays more than starvation wages, yes.

Coding, then RHIA - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I left MT for coding, then did an RHIA program while working. I work for a large healthcare system with an EHR, in a department that has more than 100 employees, many of whom work in informatics. I use my coding knowledge and experience, as well as what I have learned since. The work is rewarding and challenging. It offers continual learning and opportunity for advancement. It benefits patients, but does not require patient contact. There is a lot of contact with healthcare providers, who respect and value us. We are respected and valued by the healthcare system, as well, which provides good salaries, great benefits, and stable employment.

In the previous paragraph, I tried to show you that "coding" is not just one job that could be here today and unnecessary tomorrow. Coding is actually a knowledge area that underlies all of health information administration. Disease classification systems and the need for them are not going to disappear tomorrow. They are actually increasing in importance.

You said that you have heard that coding is going the same way as MT. Yet, you seem feel that radiology technician jobs are going to be around forever. What happens when an imaging technology is invented that doesn't require x-rays? What do you plan to do then? Learn ultrasound? Learn the new technology? How is that different from coding and health information administration?

It is safe to say that there are few jobs that do not involve change and which do not require continual learning. No matter what you do, your job is not going to be around in its same form in even 10 years.

In terms of offering room for movement and new jobs, HIA is superb. And a good route into HIA is coding.

If coding and health information administration do not appeal to you, then don't go into them. But, don't refuse to consider that field because some people who don't know any better spout nonsense about it.

The AHIMA website has a career map that will show you what is possible in HIA. It is a very broad field with lots of different jobs.

short term schooling, great careers - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I just finished my AA degree (useless) because I was planning to transfer to a University in order to continue education.

My dream was to become a psychologist. However, during the course of my two year studies, I've come to the realization, I do not want to work with the mentally ill. Also, I do not want to go another 60,000 in debt to get a BA and Masters, which is what you need in order to enter the field. In addition, the universities are way to liberal in my opinion. So, that idea out the window.

Back to the drawing board for me. Laboratory technician is on the plate of consideration. I would have to add an Associates in Science and a certificate to enter the field, although some enter the field with just certification and maybe my lowly AA degree will come in handy. It seems like very little patient contact as you only have to deal with their fluids and such, maybe draw blood.

How I wish I could do MT forever. Snuggled in my nice nonhostile home with my pets, my husband and only seeing the people I want to see on my terms! Those days are over, so...here we are with important decisions. I am about 27 years away from retirement and worked in the MT field 16 years before my hands gave out on me.

To the people who keep saying coding and billing, why? It seems like a broken record "MT switching to coding and billing." It doesn't seem like a lucrative career because it has the same potential to go overseas, right?

I have a moral issue with going into billing/collections - would be easy to go into

[ In Reply To ..]
I had an accident 2 years ago and even though I have insurance I STILL have debt collectors calling. I had to set up automatic drafts on my near maxed out credit cards. I couldn't do anything like admissions either where you have to collect copays that most people can't afford. Do you know in the ER before my emergency surgery they came in wanting my insurance card? Um sorry I didn't have it handy when I broke both of my feet. How do these people sleep at night?!?

I would choose flipping burgers any day over making more $$ for the machine.

You don't carry your insurance card - in your wallet?

[ In Reply To ..]
I was in the ER last week, too. My husband was in the rest room when they came by for my co-pay. I couldn't reach my handbag and they told me not to worry, they'll mail the bill. No problem. How is that making more $$ for the machine? You agreed to pay copays, deductibles, balances, etc. Should ERs see you for free?
I fell off my deck in my pajamas, landed on my feet - home alone so had to crawl backwards
[ In Reply To ..]
screaming for help the whole time. Sorry if I didn't think about it by the time my neighbors called the police and an ambulance. it was just their general attitude. Plus the fact that I do pay insurance yet I owe them thousands after i get out of the hospital. How do they expect you to come up with that amount? and then add interest on top of that? It's not a credit card bill they are calling about. I guess my heart is just too soft for it.

More money for the machine. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
So you would rather hospitals and doctors go bankrupt? How will that suit you when you need a medical service again? Or do you think everything should be free? Sorry you feel that it's unjust that you have to pay for something.

Then they did their job wrong - Leaving MT too

[ In Reply To ..]
Would make me want to go into the field to do it right and help people not end up in situations like you did.

Here's a big switch.... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
Just saw an ad on my FB page for a Culinary Management "degree," and it says the classes are "100% on-line." It suggests that one could learn how to decorate cakes and work as a cake decorator. I didn't click on anything, so I have no idea about the particulars, but I bet you could find more info on the internet.

Just throwing that out as a wildcard idea. For myself, anything is better than what MT'ing for an MTSO has become....but that's just me.

I actually hired a person who bakes wedding cakes/decorates them - ThinkThatIsGoodIdea

[ In Reply To ..]
from her home for weddings, etc. She did a fantastic job! Not sure what all was entailed, but she was making a living at it.

Culinary training is a known scam area - My thoughts

[ In Reply To ..]
Culinary schools are a known problem.

You can learn to decorate cakes with a job in a grocery store bakery. You are going to make the same pay after you learn, too.

Someone baking cakes from her home might charge a lot, but is making low pay overall. And probably working illegally and in fear of the health department.

The whole point behind learning a new career is to get more stable work with better pay and benefits, not to move from one hand-to-mouth field to an even worse one.

<$15K home bakery MI legal - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Michigan passed a law a couple of years ago to allow home baked goodies to be sold face-to-face (no internet or mail order sales and perhaps no wholesale arrangements) with minimal fees and no requirement for a commercial kitchen. The catch? No more than $15,000 in total sales. But there is now a way for somebody to clear up to approximately $1,000 a month if she is very careful with expenses and an opportunity to build a small customer base before opening a shop. Before the law passed, the sale of home baked wedding cakes was illegal.
$15K max per year, not forever - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Subject says it all.

Yikes, I wasn't aware.... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
....that there was such a thing as culinary training scams! I'm not actively looking for any retraining right now, so, as I said, I didn't click on anything to get more information....just happened to see that right after seeing this thread about training for a new job field, so it popped into my mind to mention it here.

I don't see how any kind of reputable culinary school could be "100% on-line," actually. But for someone who loves or has a knack for cake decorating, this could be a fun job to consider. Getting some on-the-job training/experience (as someone mentioned, at a grocery bakery or the like) might be possible in some situations. There's a Fresh Market store in my town, and their bakery items are gorgeous. Working somewhere like that (or Whole Foods) could be very enjoyable, for the right person. Maybe not if you're the sole support for your family, but there are some MTs here for whom this kind of job could be do-able and wouldn't require a new degree or years of schooling.
Cake Decorating - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
I've completed 3 levels of Wilton Cake Decorating classes at a local craft store. I learned a lot although I think it is something that most careful people could learn on their own with a good book. Afterwards, I could see that the cakes at the local grocery and big box stores were decorated in a way to save time, lots of time.
Cake Decorating, Continued - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Because the classes were fun and inexpensive, I'm been thinking about taking the 4th class. Wilton offers short-term classes near Chicago for people who want to be experts in their method of decorating cakes and working with candy. Most professional cooking schools come with HUGE price tags even though most restaurant workers don't make a lot. If I wanted to be a professional baker around here, I'd take classes at nearby community colleges instead of sinking 10s of thousands of dollars into tuition at a "Culinary School."
Cake Decorating - Dallas
[ In Reply To ..]
A friend went to a class that lasted about a week and opened up her own bakery about a month later and it has taken off. I was so amazed at how something like that is in such demand if you get the right spot to work out of. It's a shame I hate to bake.

I did surgical technology - Leaving MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I just got certified as a surgical technologist. It was the hardest thing I have ever done. It took me 4 semesters, but I had some prerequisites already from my college course work. It was amazing to be in the operating room and standing right next to the surgeon, retracting the surgical wound, and seeing the inner workings of the body. My last case was a brain aneurysm repair, and it was amazing.

It was not hard academically. I have MT to thank for that. I was the top student in the class academically and scored the highest on the certification exam of all the students in my class. I think MT has made my mind sharper since I went to college years ago, plus I already have so much medical knowledge from MTing. It was really, really hard clinically, though. I almost quit, I really did. I went from C's to B's in clinicals, and finally this summer I got A's in both my clinical classes. I worked my tail off. My instructor loved my attitude, and I think that's what paid off for me in the end.

Now I am searching for a job. It is a tough market for new surgical techs, so it might take a while, but the program I graduated from has a high placement rate, so I am hopeful. I still have my MT job, which is actually still a good one - I just don't think it will last.

**I should add that it was a tough program for all in my class - no one got an A in clinicals that first semester!

good for you! what is a "clinical", please? - thanks (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]

You could look it up. - xx

[ In Reply To ..]
Yeah, she could look it up and - Nick
[ In Reply To ..]
you could also be less snarky. Just sayin! ;)-

the hands-on work - Leaving MT

[ In Reply To ..]
In nursing and surgical technology, along with other fields that have direct patient care, students have to spend time at the hospital or some type of medical facility that the school is contracted with in training doing the hands-on patient care. In surgical tech, we refer to this as "clinicals" or our "clinical rotation." I had to actually go into a hospital and "be" a surgical tech under the direct supervision of the surgical techs at the hospital, and it was graded just like any other class. It was tough! One has to have alligator skin and take criticism extremely well. I sure learned what I was made of. Yep. I think I could do just about anything now. Ha!
Thank you for explaining! - I appreciate it! (NM)
[ In Reply To ..]

Coding - Suz

[ In Reply To ..]
I considered getting into coding a few years ago as a backup plan, that was before SR took over. However, I read somewhere that you can be penalized monetarily for errors so that made me reconsider. Does anyone know if this is true?

Yes - MT headed

[ In Reply To ..]
I had read that as well. If your facility gets audited, it is possible that you can be penalized for errors; more than likely, the facility where you work will have to pay. It's a compliance issue and could constitute fraud. That is one reason employers want coders with experience. Some facilities also have production requirements for coders.

You won't be, but - your facility

[ In Reply To ..]
Will. The Recovery Audit Contractors who work for Medicare review all coded charts and look for errors. If they find one, the hospital has to pay back the difference between the correct code and the incorrect code. Sometimes it is in the hospital's favor, you get money back because it was undercoded, sometimes it is in government favor, because you have to give money back. They (the RAC)are not always correct and the facility can fight it and many win.

That is a misunderstanding - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
It is usually the facility that gets fined and/or has to repay, not the individual coder. However, it us possible for a coder to face criminal charges if they are suspected of condoning fraudulent acts. A few have been convicted.

Coding is a high-stakes field. A lot rides on the accuracy of your work and the advice you give. Facilities have to demonstrate that they intend to comply with federal regulations. They must be seen to take steps to prevent errors. This includes establishing policies, providing education, doing both internal and external audits (they audit your work themselves and periodically bring in an outside company to do the same), and taking corrective action. They also demonstrate compliance by hiring credentialed coders.

This means that coders are held to high standards and that they are audited constantly. So, no, you aren't likely to be fined, but you will be audited and expected to maintain high accuracy.
If that thought bothers you, coding is not a good choice for you.

Coding is also not a good choice for people who can't say no. If you are passive and prefer to just do what you are told, you can get into lots of trouble when an employer instructs you to do something inappropriate.

Could you elaborate on that last - paragraph?

[ In Reply To ..]
Tks.
Sure - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
This is the part you asked me to elaborate upon: "Coding is also not a good choice for people who can't say no. If you are passive and prefer to just do what you are told, you can get into lots of trouble when an employer instructs you to do something inapproriate. "

Coders are personally responsible for the accuracy of their work. They are expected to uphold ethical standards, and that sometimes requires them to inform employers that something the employer wants them to do is inappropriate. They may have to present supporting evidence, suggest an alternative, and sometimes even quit. They sometimes blow the whistle on fraud.

What they can't do is follow an employer's instructions if they are in error or result in fraud. If you are a certified coder, you are supposed to know what is right and wrong. You don't have the option of saying you just did what you were told to do. This is particularly true for anything involving federal claims.

You cannot upcode services to a level higher than warranted. You cannot manipulate procedure codes to somehow get something that is included also paid separately. You cannot create fake visits to get extra money if you are not happy with how much Medicare pays.

A classic example ... if you work for a doctor who is billing for work he could not possibly have done even if he worked 24 hours a day, you cannot just go along with it.

If you work for a hospital that tells you "all pneumonias that present with this symptom and which are on that antibiotic can be presumed to be gram negative, so code them that way" in order to get a higher payment, or which tells you to code all UTIs and pneumonias as present on admission to get paid for them, you are being told tocode fraudulently. You are obligated to protest, but if you are ignored, you may have to quit and you would be obligated to report the situation to Medicare.

Consequently, coding is not a good fit for folks who cannot speak up appropriately, or who just don't want to get involved.

I was in a class once with a woman who kept arguing with the instructors that Medicare's rules were restrictive and meant to be broken. Someone finally said, "Uh, are you a coder????" The woman said "No, I am the doctor's wife. I manage the office and I am trying to learn coding because I can't find a coder who will do what I want."

I think office coding requires more assertiveness than large facility coding where the HIA management protects you. Even with that, I know someone who quit a hospital a few weeks before the feds busted them.

If you are the type of person who prefers to just do what you are told, thinking that management is going to be responsible, coding is not a good choice.
Question - kind of off topic
[ In Reply To ..]
Are you saying that if the pneumonia or UTI is hospital-acquired, it's not paid for?
Depends, but yes - No $$$
[ In Reply To ..]
CMS does not feel it should pay for conditions acquired in the hospital that the hospital should have prevented. There is a list of them and a list of types of hospitals it applies to.

The thinking is that once the hospitals stop getting money no matter what, they will get busy and figure out how to stop people from getting worse in their care. There is no excuse for C diff, pressure sores, pneumonia, clots, etc.

Inpatient coders determine if each diagnosis was or was not present on admission, doesn't matter, etc. They used to code it, but now have an additional assessment to make.

Google "present on admission cms." You should come up with tons of information on it.
Interesting! - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the info. I just assumed that everything done in the hospital was billed out. Do they then bill the patient or is it a write-off for the hospital?
Answer - No $$$
[ In Reply To ..]
The facility cannot turn around and bill the patient for it.

This is a simplified explanation, but inpatient services are billed on the basis of certain predetermined amounts. A bunch of conditions that typically use similar resources and cost the same are put in a group. The coder codes the stay, then determines what group it is in. There is a dollar amount associated with that group. That is all the hospital can charge.

If they spent more, they lose the extra. If they spent less, good for them. However, they cannot provide poor care.

There is also a certain length of stay associated with each group. .. 2.3 days, or 5.3, for instance. Hospitals want to hit the magic mark. CMS does not want to see people being discharged too soon.

Hospitals cook up all sorts of schemes around this. Shoving patients out the door too soon, expecting them to come back, and then billing again. Now everyone is looking at readmission rates.

This is also why hospitals will avoid treating everything that is wrong with you in one admission.
Thanks! That's very valuable information - -
[ In Reply To ..]

Thank you for such a thorough explanation - Suz

[ In Reply To ..]
Coders should be paid more than they do as should MTs.
Coders are paid quite well, but thx! - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
NM

Nursing - mtca

[ In Reply To ..]
I am taking classes towards getting into a program for an an associate degree as a registered nurse (ASN). The local community colleges also have programs for CNA, Home Health Aide, LVN, and surgical technology that would not take as much time if you're looking for something you can finish more quickly.

Webmaster - LoveWeb

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been building/designing/managing several websites and am hoping to find full-time work or enough part time that I can be comfortable. Also working on becoming certified in HTML, HTML5, CSS, mySQL, PHP, and Java through the W3C. They have free courses, and I only have to pay for the exams.

Meanwhile, I'm looking for office work and have been brushing up on Excel and MS Word.

What an incredibly positive useful thread - TAA eligible

[ In Reply To ..]
Just lots of info, pro & con, regarding all sorts of career options. This thread ought to be saved.

Good starting points--Thanks - Lacey

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you everyone for giving good ideas. I have been a transcriptionist now for about 10 years. I'm grateful to have had steady work as one, but if I knew 10-11 years ago when I was in school that the MT industry would change drastically with speech recognition and such, I might have thought twice. Yes, other industries have taken a hit, but I guess because the medical industry has been stable and growth that MT was a steady career. Little did I know it would become like the travel agent versus Expedia-Priceline scenario.

eBay! - In-House Lead

[ In Reply To ..]
Met my first month's sales goal I set for myself with room to spare. In my second month, my goal is to be able to pay my rent with my eBay earnings ($775). Keep in mind I am doing this just part-time and still work 40 hours at the hospital and also have a household to take care of.

It's slow-going in the beginning, and there's definitely a learning curve. Got my first non-payer the other day. I am making all the rookie mistakes and am in my infancy in terms of learning the ropes... but the good news is that, despite myself, I'm already making money! Then there's a ramping up period so you get enough items in your store. You really need at least 200 items to be selling multiple items on a daily basis. As my mentor keeps telling me, "It's a numbers game. Keep on listing."

There are a lot of people in the eBay support and mentorship groups I have joined who are doing way better full-time than what I am making at the hospital. I am building just as fast as I can.

Counting the days, counting the days until I am outta here....

Am I the only one who fantasizes about what your supervisor's face will look like when you slap that resignation letter down on her desk?

EBay - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
What do you sell? I'd like to do an etsy site some day.

Estate Jewelry, it's fun. nm - mtwith6yearstogo

[ In Reply To ..]
xxxx

Tell me more - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I'd love to know more about estate jewelry. Please share.

Similar Messages:

Changing Careers Maybe--any Info On "Scoping Careers" Sm
Apr 11, 2010

Does anyone know anything about this company and/or this program/career?  Thinking of changing careers.  Thanks in advance for your help! ...

Switching Careers From Mt
May 18, 2010

Any of you thought of switching to dental laboratory technician, you can work independently a lot of times and they make pretty decent money.  Or do any of you know a dental lab tech and if they like their job, just looking around for something else to do besides MT ...

IMPORTANT! NEW CAREERS FOR MTs.
Aug 18, 2011

I have been enrolled in college for the last year while still working.  Found out today about a whole new carrer that has just come out and being created because of EHR/EMR and now being offered and will become even more popular. My teachers in college informed me of a meeting they had in the city where I live.  This meeting was held with physicians, PA's, NP's, MT's, Medical Assistance, nurses, etc.  Because of EHR/EMR, most doctor's (about 78%) do not like ...

MT's Enjoying Their Careers?
Oct 30, 2011

If you are a MT that actually enjoys your career choice please leave a post or send me an email. I would like to know how you make it work and stay happy with your career choice. All i see on this forum is people complaining about their career choice, low rates and no available work. So how do you handle this? How many jobs do you have, how do you schedule more than 1 job, materials & resources you use to assist you and any other info you can give me. Just like every other career there are ppl u ...

For Those Who Want To Change Careers,
Nov 30, 2011

google "TAA petition" and read the website to start one against MQ for displaced workers since they are sending all the work to India, especially those displaced due to buyouts.  This is an excellent way to get school paid for to change careers and to make MQ pay for their indiscretions.  Finally, a way to gain from all of this. I think you can contact your department of labor in your state if you have any questions also. ...

For Those Who Have Switched Careers
Feb 15, 2012

I am considering going to school to get a certificate/AA type of training, possibly in MA, pharm tech, or massage therapy, that sort of thing.  If you have experience with this, did you run into the "newbie" catch-22 thing where you have to have experience to get a job or can you usually find something right out of school? ...

Other At Home Careers??
Jan 13, 2015

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any other honest work at home companies other than transcription? I recall a while back someone mentioning their son working for a company at home basically taking incoming calls for I think Direct TV, but didn't directly work for Direct TV, he worked through a different company. I've been doing MT work for 15 years and like many I'm tired, I'm bored. I don't want to search for days just to find a ton of scams or jobs that pa ...

Scoping Careers International Has Anyone Ever
Feb 20, 2010

checked into this option or actually worked with these people? ...

YahooNews: Future Careers.........
Apr 06, 2010

Career Tools > Career Articles > Future Careers: What's Hot, What's Not Future Careers: What's Hot, What's Not   by Gina Pogol, FindtheRightSchool.com   Preparing for a career is a serious business, and the wrong choice can be costly. You don't want to graduate after several years' work only to find that your industry has relocated to China. Technology has affected labor markets in two ways: First, companies jumped on labor-saving devices ...

Scoping Careers International
Aug 28, 2010

Just wondering if anyone has experience or knowledge of this company.  Scoping Careers International Thanks! ...

TRANSCRIPTIONISTS CAREERS ENDING?
May 02, 2011

HAS ANYONE HEARD THAT TRANSCRIPTIONISTS WILL NO LONGER BE NEEDED IN THE YEAR 2013 AS PHYSICIANS WILL BE GIVEN INCENTIVES TO CARRY LAPTOPS AND ENTER ALL INFO IN? ...

If Not Transcription/editing Then What Other Careers?
Jun 24, 2012

Hi all  It seems alot of people on here are discouraging people from getting into the field. But, I've been wondering, what then would be some good alternative fields to get into? I can type 90wpm and am good at organizing things. I haven't worked in like 2 years (due to agorophobia)  and I need to get my life back on track. I need to go to school for something, but I'm just not sure what to get into if not medical editing. ...

Former MT Wanting To Change Careers But Lost
Jan 02, 2013

Hello, Worked as an MT from 1994 until 2010. Starting have problems with my hands in 2003. Becoming an editor saved my life in 2005 and was able to work on broken hands a couple more years. The editing became even more painful with changing every other word, pay went down, and I found myself with a repetitive stress injury (tendinitis). Lost my workers comp case, although doctor said injury was caused by being an MT for 16 years, however, judge wasn't hearing it as workers comp had ...

Becoming An MT #5 On The List Of Hottest Medical Careers. What A Joke!
Jan 17, 2012

Copied and pasted from YAHOO News just now.  01/17 at 10:55 p.m.  just popped up.    Career #5: Medical Transcriptionist When physicians and medical professionals need to communicate important information, they turn to medical transcriptionists who translate doctor's notes into medical reports and other files. Why it's hot: A large percentage of medical transcriptionists work in hospitals, but there will be an increased need for their work in editing transcr ...

KVM Switch
May 21, 2010

Does anyone use one of these and have tips on a good one, or even a bad one to avoid? I think I will invest in one and have been reading online reviews.  It seems a lot of them have little quirks that may be annoying....... ...

Switch To IC
Apr 24, 2013

My previous employer provided my computer and all the software.  I'm thinking about trying independent contracting since most of the jobs I've seen require your own equipment anyway, but how do you know what equipment to get?  Each company seems to have their own preferences.  I'd like to have what would work across the board if I need to work on several accounts.  I've read about using a different tax form too, but can anyone tell me what else I would nee ...

VR Switch Over?
Dec 22, 2013

Does anyone know when the VR switch over for hospitals and clinics has to take place? I was just laid off from my job due to it going to VR. I was told 2014 but wondered if anyone had specifics. Thanks! ...

New To ASR/Told Had To Switch To ME By 07/01
Jun 30, 2010

I am sweating this out, as everyone else has, and it is not working for me.  The rules are too vague, the training insufficient, and I am struggling with doing whatever I can to get through the report and trying to correct "correctly" - whatever way that really is, there is no explanation.  I don't know when to use F11.  I gave ASR a 4-month try 4-5 (?) years ago when it first was implemented, and see similar non-recognition issues, similar heading issues, and probably I am ...

Is It Possible To Request A Switch To Another CCM
Feb 16, 2012

x ...

KVM Switch Recommendations?
Apr 23, 2012

I don't know too much about KVM switches, but I am getting ready to start two new jobs and have two different computers.  I thought I might try one. Today, my foot pedal for my second job came in and low and behold, it is the same one for my first job.   Do any of you know if there is a KVM that will switch keyboard, video, monitor, headphones, AND foot pedal, and can you recommend one to me.  I'm trying to research, but all this techie jargon makes my head hurt an ...

Im Due To Switch To 7 Here Shortly
Jul 09, 2012

would be really nice if we didnt have to use the "dep" to search and not be allowed to be signed into the other one without that at the same time..Never used to be like that it is really annoying..They say check samples, well you check samples and there are none,in the meantime it kicks you out of the other and when you sign back into it it doesnt save your information so you start from scratch and they wonder why we have so much inactive time... ...

For Those Considering A Switch To Nursing
Jan 14, 2013

Something to consider before you invest in training.  Not saying don't do it, just be aware that you're not guaranteed a job when you graduate. http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/14/news/economy/nursing-jobs-new-grads/index.html?iid=HP_LN&hpt=hp_t2 ...

Account Switch
Oct 24, 2014

Hi,  I have an opportunity to switch accounts and work with new manager and team.  Premise is works better with schedule, less out of work situations.  Anybody familiar with CCMH and the supervisor there?  Just want to know work statuses and things like that before I switch.  Any feedback would be great.  Thanks! ...

Switch From MTs To MMEs Has Started
Nov 10, 2009

Well folks, email today regarding yet another MQ program- Account Trustee- those of us with good quality scores have the HONOR of sending reports directly through to the client with 2 blanks or less, thus bypassing QA.  Instead of addressing the issue WHY QA is so backlogged (could it be because so many QA were underpaid and have left) this is the new decision.  ...

Companies That Don't Bait And Switch....
Nov 16, 2009

So disillusioned.  The company I loved for so long has turned into greedy liars.  Who in the MTSO world is still decent? ...

KVM Switch And A Foot Pedal
Jul 31, 2010

nm ...

Help...Account Wants To Switch From Tapes To ?
Sep 09, 2010

I have always transcribed either from a C-phone, tapes, or worked for a national that had their own dictation platform. My local account wants to switch from tapes to something similar to Emdat and wants my advice. He has very little dictation and just needs something that he can dictate from any phone, where I can access it from home. Obviously, I'm not up to speed on new technology so any friendly advice would be helpful. Thank you! ...

Need Help With Shuting Down A KVM Switch Situation ...
Oct 08, 2010

Yesterday I had someone fix 2 computers with a KVM switch to share the monitor and keyboard... I know someone on here has this situation too,  How do you shut if down or turn it off... I did shut one down, but then could not get to the other with tapping the button twice as I do to switch between them...   Thanks in advance for any help... ...

How Many MTs Switch Accounts Daily/every Other Day?
Oct 20, 2010

Lately I have not been able to stay on the same account more than 2 days in a row.  Since my primary that I was on for 6 years went VR and I did not go with it, I have been switched from one account to another to another.  They say my work is great but I do not like being a floater.  I did not mind at first because at least I still had a job; however, this does have negative consequences on my income since I have to constantly learn new specifics and docs, etc.  I am beg ...

BabbleType Bait And Switch
Jun 27, 2012

Hi, all,  Remember the most recent ad that BabbleType placed here at MTStars?  They were practically pleading with MTs and QAs to contact them and clear out their huge back log (tens of thousands of audio files they said). There was no mention of an exam; just contact them and request an assignment.  If you need training to be a QA editor, no problem -- just ask, and they would provide training.  Blah, blah, blah.  The direct quote in the ad was this:&nbs ...