A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Career Change after 20 years of medical transcription - bobbio

Posted: Dec 22, 2013

Anybody got any ideas for a career change for someone that has been doing medical transcription for 20 years?

I emailed you. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Depends on a lot of things - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
How old are you? What other skills/experience do you have? Do you have any post-secondary education? What do you enjoy doing?

changes - me too

[ In Reply To ..]
FYI - I also sent you an e-mail with my thoughts. I have a separate home business in addition to my MT work with jerky and also pets - if anybody else wants to know, just e-mail me. Thanks - Good Luck in 2014.

Similar Messages:

Career Step Medical Transcription
Jun 09, 2012

Where to start? I was the top MT at the Dept. of Veterans Affairs Regional in Waco, TX. I have also been a proofreader for a top notch advertising agency in California and my first job was as an MT. I type 90 wpm. That said, I have not been able to find a position as an MT because I didn't have 'credentials'. So I researched the web and decided to spend my hard-earned money on Career Step. I passed the 1st portion of the test with 97% which actually more of a grammatical testing ...

Career And Education Advice For Medical Transcription
Nov 14, 2009

Hello, I am looking for advice from some of the seasoned MT's and those who have been in the field for about a year now.   I am looking into medical transcription; initially for part-time supplemental income and down-the-road as a full-time career.   Here are the questions that I have: Which schools, particularly online courses, are well known for developing successful MT's; more specifically which programs are good at helping their graduates land jobs? For someone who ...

I Want Your Opinion About Career Step Online Medical Transcription Course Or Any Other School Which
Jan 19, 2011

can anybody tell me about good online medical transcription school. ...

Medical Rewrite: Why The $116M Spheris Sale Will Change The Transcription Business
Apr 24, 2010

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville/stories/2010/04/26/story1.html?b=1272254400^3245651 This link was on the Benchmark KB Dashboard    Medical rewrite: Why the $116M Spheris sale will change the transcription business   The sale, which was scheduled to close Thursday, combines the country’s two largest players in a $15 billion medical transcription industry struggling to reinvent itself in the face of technological advances.Whether it succeeds could determine how ...

Ten Years Into This Career And Need Advice!!!
Nov 05, 2010

Hi guys.  I have been an MT for 10+ years now.  I have always avoided the big national companies and stayed with the smaller scale companies.  I have found and worked for some great companies during my career.  However, due to all the changes in the health care system, especially EMR, these accounts have died.  :-(  I have just lost a major account to EMR and am looking for work ASAP.  I have kids to support and I cannot sit out of work.  I have taken on ...

Possible Career Change
Jun 25, 2011

I am considering taking classes for MT as I am ready for a change in my life. As I am looking into MT I have come across several questions that I want to ask to save myself the stress, etc. of preparing to start something that may not be what I am looking for. I see the different schools listed that others have recommended and yet I also see where my local community college offers course in MT. In your opinion would the courses there be suffice to work as a MT? For those working as MT, what do ...

Looking Into Career Change From MT
Jul 10, 2012

I've been doing medical transcription for 17 years now.  It used to be a good field to get into and good pay, but as the medical transcription field seems to be slowly phasing out and it's getting harder to make a decent living as we are getting lower wages and less work, I've been thinking about going back to school and getting a bachelor's in health informatation managment or administration.  I already have an assosciate's degree, but I would like to know wha ...

Looking For Career Change
Dec 16, 2012

I have been doing transcription for 30 years. I am fed up with it. I started working in a hospital and was making $17 an hr when they decided to lay us off. Then we went contract with the company the hospital was using at .10 cpl. Then, in October, we found out that Nuance had taken over. Now I am making .8 cpl. I want to make a career change. I have been sending out applications since August, probably close to 30 or more, with no interviews at all, no calls, nothing. I think all they see is all ...

Considering A Career Change...any Advice?
Dec 15, 2009

I've finally made myself accept the fact that medical transcription is never going to return to its former state and have been wondering in what other field I have an interest and could once again earn a decent living. Does anyone on the forum have any paralegal or legal secretary experience?  I've been researching this field online and have found a few on-line courses but, as with MT, I know I have to be really careful which course I choose and from whom.  If anyone h ...

MT As Career Change Choice
Sep 06, 2010

Hi,  I hope you don't mind a visitor from the outside I'm here because I need to change careers. I'm 59 , female, single, and have done one career all my life which has been clinical social work/mental health counseling.  I'm burned out with this career and alot has indicated that medical transcription might suit me.  Where do I begin? What training do I need? Do I need training at all? (this may sound dumb) What schools are the best? Online versus ...

Advice On Career Change
Aug 24, 2011

I've been a medical transcriptionst for 25 years (most of that time working at home)...I can't believe how much money I am losing....I used to think that I would never go back into an office/hospital to work because I wouldn't be making enough money.  Now, I am at my wits end.  My pay has literally been cut in half, no thanks to EMR/VR.  I am at a loss as to what to do...should I change careers (at age 49) or keep doing what I'm doing, while getting further and ...

Career Change Back To MT?
Sep 24, 2011

I was a medical transcriptionist for 9 years, working from home.  Two years ago, I left the field and took an opportunity elsewhere.  At the time, it was a better opportunity financially.  It turns out that this position is not what I thought it was going to be.  The money is nice, but the stress and the job itself are making me miserable!  When I quit transcribing 2 years ago, I was making about 0.9 cents/line and only working part-time.  My current position pays a ...

New MT Thinking Of Career Change...
Jan 29, 2012

I have been working at an OBGYN office for 10 months now and for reasons I'd rather not get into, I am having issues with my MT supervisor. I love MT work. I do feel it is the right niche for me. However, my LPH is under 100 and I do not feel that I am getting enough work to improve my speed. I am still new and still learning. I'm starting to wonder if I might be better off setting up a home office and trying to get on with a company like Medquist or something. I am getting paid on ...

Career Change Advice
Jun 06, 2012

Hello!  I just found this board and am hoping for some advice.  I will give you some background information first.  I am a LPN, but have been a SAHM only for nearly 4 years.  I actually left the profession because of burn-out, and my husbands job allowed be to stay home.  I love being home, but I'm feeling a bit restless.  I'd like to start contributing a bit financially, without huge committments.  (I am VP of my kids' PTA and I keep plenty busy in many aspects). Last w ...

What Impact Will The Electronic Medical Record Have On The Medical Coding Career
Mar 20, 2011

Dear medical coding students and medical coders: I am starting The Andrew's School of Medical Coding on April 1, 2011 and I have I am looking forward to it. I want to ask you your opinions. I was at the dog park with my pug Cruncher yesterday and I was telling my friends that I was looking forward to starting school and one my friends who is an oncologist at NIH was advising me that I should think twice about starting medical coding as a profession because the implementation of the electron ...

2 Jobs That Will Never Be Offshored...if You Want A Career Change
Jan 29, 2010

Makes sense to me; I'd opt to be an electrician (if I can't get on disability). Automotive technicians and mechanics repair and maintain automobiles and light trucks. Motorists need these services near their homes and businesses, meaning this hands-on work would be pretty hard for someone in another country to do. So rest easy. This job is staying close to home.  Training is a 6-month or 1-year automotive repair certificate program or a 2-year associate degree program.& ...

Career Change - RHIT, Coding And LPN?
Aug 02, 2011

I've been an MT for 10 years but for the past year I have been in school working towards an AA degree in Health Information Management.  I would like to be an RHIT and do coding somewhere.  However, I like it but not enough to want to do this for the rest as my life as I am only 34.  I love the medical field and want to stay in it but am thinking of switching my major.  I think maybe switching to LPN and then eventually become an RN.  I think that I might enjoy working with people more ...

Current MT Needing Career Change
Aug 09, 2011

I've decided I am getting out of MTing.  The two options I am interested are completely different yet in the medical field which I love.  First is health information management, 2-year degree.  Would like to be a coder but worried it will end up like MT in 10 years.  Second is becoming an LPN and then down the road an RN.  I am in my early 30s and I've got a long work life ahead of me but want to be happy!  Which way to go? ...

Online School & Career Change At 40
Feb 02, 2013

Currently hold Bachelor Degree in Business Administration. Worked as executive admin asst for past 15 years. Considering going to Andrews on line MT school. Is this a good investment and career change for me or should I look into something else? Like the ability to possibly work from home. Also, which school is best choice for finding work at home job (Andrews, Career Step, Mtec, etc..)??? ...

I Decided To Change My Tact A Couple Of Years Ago.
Aug 26, 2010

I began to realize that my victim mindset was the reason I was being treated so badly professionally and socially. Even when I had a good job and good friends, I ended up sabotaging them.  After wising up a little bit in the School of Hard Knocks, I decided to try something different. I was going to work on my relationships both professionally and personally to see if I could get better results and resist the opportunity to strike back, quit my job, tell people off, and otherwise behave li ...

Did Keystrokes Change Hands In The Last Couple Of Years?
Mar 20, 2013

Did Keystrokes change hands in the last couple of years? Or are they run by the same people? ...

Career Change To Massage Therapist Suggestion
Mar 06, 2014

My son is attending massage therapy training and will be done the end of June. He will be making more money than I will be once working. It only took a year. He is going for another year to earn an AA, but will start working and go to school at night. It's kind of expensive, but I think it would be a rewarding career. There is an extensive anatomy course that we MTs would breeze through, so I thought I would pass this suggestion on. I realize some of you are in remote areas and thi ...

Beware Any Of These Coaches For Career Or Life Change.
Mar 11, 2015

The last one on here wanted to charge $497 for a 3-month package of some junk book and phone coaching and followup coaching sessions.  I've got her email.  I'd hate to find out what her "expanded " package costs.  You can find all the same information on line yourself for free.  How much time have you already spent job searching on line?   Don't waste your money with these people and your time.  Use your time wisely yourself. You could also lik ...

25+ Years Medical Transcriptionist Considering
Apr 29, 2013

Hello:  I am 58 years old and have been doing medical transcription for 25+ years.  The group I transcribe for online is transitioning over to total EMR, thus will be leaving me without a job in the not too distant future.  I don't do Acute care, so there are next to no opportunities for other transcription jobs.  There are no jobs to be had in my very, very small town (including the 25-bed hospital) so I'm considering going with online classes for training and cert ...

Career In Medical Coding?
Jul 22, 2011

I am considering training for medical coding but I don't want to spend the $$ if in a few years that industry goes the way of medical transcription with computers taking over our jobs and putting us out of work. I would welcome any and all information and opinions on this as well as recommendations for coding programs to enroll in. ...

Am I Too Old To Start A Career In Medical Coding
Jan 30, 2013

Dear Friends: I am 56 and I am a medical transcriptionists of 11 years and I am very interested in broadening my career and pursuing a career in medical coding.   I am interested in the Andrew's School.   I have two questions.  My first is what is the future of medical coding, i.e., will it be done offshore in the future like transcription and will it be replaced by the EMR.  The second question is am I tool old for training& ...

Few Ideas On What I Avoided For Years- IT And A Medical Dict Etc.
Oct 03, 2010

I think I have to change my ideas about some things I did the old-fashioned way.  I've tried to kind of summarize the things I've learned from a new job: 1.  I just started a new job and FOR YEARS I have avoided Instant Text-- Now I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.   I am new, but I don't know why I did not try it years ago.  It is not hard to expand the things with the [ and the ;.  Don't know why I thought it would be.  Everything in 1 place, not some ...

A Medical Transcriptionist Of 10 Years Lost Her Job Today
May 17, 2011

Dear Fellow Transcriptionists: I just want to vent and tell you what happened to me today.  I lost my job today because I got a 97.9 on my quality review, which was done on my work in about 3 years. I was working as an independent contractor and I was told that I was being terminated and when I asked if I could be put on another account, they said they were not hiring employees just independent contractors, no employees. I am so upset. I have been a transcriptionist for 10 years this ...

What Would Be A Reasonable Hourly Wage For A Medical Transcriptionist Of 12.5 Years?
Nov 30, 2012

Hi: I have worked for the same hospital for 12.5 years, so there is a lot of loyalty there. I live in a southern state in the USA. I get paid an hourly pay plus $0.47 incentive for anything over 90 minutes. My hourly pay to me is low, but not below $10.00 an hour. Is 20.00 per hour appropriate or am I wrong? Thanks in advance for the advice. PS: I am not here for a debate just want to know what is a good hourly pay for 12.5 years. Thanks, Mel ...

Medical Benefit Change
May 09, 2011

open enrollment is bringing a new medical insurance at 3 times the cost.  What is going on?  Isn't the pay low enough...now all to be eaten up with healthcare costs?  ...