A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I have not worked in 6 years, and only have 3 months experience, is there hope in finding a Medical - Crissy

Posted: Jul 05, 2012

I graduated from a local Technical College with a Certificate in Medical Transcription. I had spent a year searching for a company that would hire someone new, but had no luck. Then, out of the blue a local company had seen my resume and offered me a job. I got the job, but the thing was I was almost 7 months pregnant with my second child! I had only worked a couple months until our baby was born and after consideration, decided not to come back so I could be with our baby full-time. Well, it has been 6 years and our baby is now going to school. I have been searching for Medical Transcriptionist jobs online and I am not having any luck because I don't have even a year of experience. I am also worried that I have been out of work too long to be considered. Working for the same company is also not an option because they never have any openings and are laying off a lot of their employees.

Is there any hope of finding a Medical Transcriptionist job, or should I just give up? I thought about taking MT classes again, but my husband says it's a "nonexistent" job anyway.

Any thoughts?

My opinion - Dickens

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you could find companies that are willing to hire new transcriptionist (that's *kind of* where you fall). There was an ad here on MT Stars not too long ago that was specifically looking for new transcriptionists. The caveat is that the pay likely will be very low, but you can work your way up them, if you don't want to take a refresher class.

I have not worked in 6 years, and only have 3 months experience, is there hope in finding a Medical - MT2011

[ In Reply To ..]
If I were you, I would change careers. The way things are going now, MTs are getting paid barely anything and the companies expect the world from us for 4 cpl (edited) and 8 cpl (typed) (the going rates). I have told at least one other person considering going into transcription to pursue another career. It ain't worth it. Look at the lawsuit against Transcend - that should give you a pretty big clue as to what's going on in this industry.

Honestly...I wouldn't bother - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I think your husband is correct. If you have to go get training anyway, I would do something else. Honestly, it is a barely above minimum wage job for the majority at this point. I am seeing that new entrants into the field are getting as little as 3 cpl for editing (which is 99.9% of the job now).

I have been doing this for 15+ years and the changes the biz has gone through are drastic and it is not an occupation I would recommend to my worst enemy.

MT has gone way downhill in the last few years - Leaving MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have only been working as an MT since 2008, so I am very new to the profession. I have gained some great experience in that time, though, and I sat for and passed the CMT exam as well. I am now transitioning out of MT because of how much it has gone downhill in the short time I have been doing it. I have topped out at my current company at 8 cpl for straight typing, and I am not about to edit VR for less than that. I try to discourage anyone I can not to get into MT. It is a really tough business. Unless you are just looking for a hobby, you might be better off doing something else.

Crissy - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
You need a good education from a school that uses the SUM program. Think Andrews or M-TEC. It IS possible to have a career in MT today, but you have to have the right school AND experience. Good luck to you.

The right school - On Site MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I wasn't sure where I should post my message so I'll just add on to this so I don't have to start a new thread. I heard an advertisement on the radio yesterday for a school that was holding informational meetings at some local hotel trying to sign people up for MT training, I won't say the name of the school. I just had to laugh, and wish I could be at the meeting to tell people to explore other career choices. I'm sure many of the people there won't know anything about transcription, will sign their names on the dotted line and part with their money and then realize what they are getting into. Most of those people probably won't get jobs, partly because of the training but also because of the economic situation in out country. The MT jobs are there and it is possible to have a career if the desire to learn is there, but it is not something to do because you "want to work at home." I'm rambling but I have to wonder how the people who try and sell those programs such as the one I heard advertised sleep at night, they have to know the job outlook for MT. Anyway, I agree with Old Pro: Choose a good school, but only do it if you are really serious and willing to work hard, not as something to do while you're home with the kids.

Similar Messages:

Transcribing Age In Years And Months...stumped
Nov 14, 2011

I don't know if I'm having a duh moment or what.  Doc says 'the patient is a 3 year 9 month old female.'  No idea how to transcribe this without changing it.  Any ideas?  Thanks! ...

On New Years Eve, 1999 - I Had So Much Hope For
Aug 06, 2010

It seems like ever since Jan. 1, 2000, everything you can think of has gone even further down the tubes: U.S. Government Wars we're involved in. MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTION INDUSTRY. The economy. Our life savings/retirement.  The Middle Class. The Justice System. Wall Street. Opportunities for employment (in any field, but especially MT). Banking. Home ownership.  (Most of us can't afford to get in;  and too many of those who did get into the housing market, ca ...

Finding Experience
Sep 20, 2010

Why is it so difficult to find a job in the MT field?  There are many more quality jobs for MT's that have 2+ years of experience.  Can I use my schooling as experience? How do I find a job as a graduate with an Associate Degree?   SB ...

To All The MTs Out There With 20 Plus Years' Experience
Jan 11, 2010

Could you please tell me HOW you did it?  Nevermind the decreasing pay or anything like that.  I'm talking how did you do it PHYSICALLY?  I'm 10 years in, love the nature of the work, etc.  However, I feel beat up from head to toe after only 10 years and while I'd love to stick it out another 10 or 20, assuming it's still a viable option, I just don't know if I could do it.  I'm healthy, pretty fit, but my entire lower legs are constantly ac ...

5 Years Experience
Mar 28, 2013

How is a person supposed to get a job when everyone wants 5 years experience? So I have to work another three years for the place that I am working before I can get a better job? By that time MT's will be totally obsolete. I feel like quiting.   ...

I Wonder Why You Need 5+ Years' Experience For
Oct 15, 2014

only 1 year for Acute Care if apparently Acute care is more difficult?  ???? ...

15+ Years Experience And Can Not Get Employment
Mar 23, 2010

I worked for Viera Diagnostic in Viera, Florida for the past 3 years. I broke my leg recently and they said they didn't need me anymore, as I need physical therapy three times a week to insure mobility in the future. I have over 15 years experience and cannot find a job. Anyone have any ideas. I did one test for one company, they said I did not pass. I am wondering if I should throw in the towel. I love this work and feel that I am a very good transcriptionist. Any ideas are welcome. ...

$8.65 An Hour W/35 Years Experience
Sep 28, 2010

that's what I averaged last week; a disgrace is what it is ...

My Experience Is 3 Years Old, How Do I Get Back In?
Jan 13, 2011

I worked in transcription for 20+ years. My last job was for 16 years, acute care and lots of specialty experience, ESL, radiology. But, I have not worked for 3 years. I can't seem to get a bite. I want to be a full time employee. I have an explanation for my hiatus on my resume. Also, does it detract because I have a Bachelor's degree listed on my resume? THANKS GUYS ...

Looking For Work, Over 7 Years Experience
Sep 02, 2014

I have had less volume at work recently at the place I have been working for over the past 4 years.  Im ready to move on but I want to find the right place for me.  Ive done some hospital and acute care work in the past and didn't care for it.  For the last 4 years Ive done clinic work, mostly ortho, and would like to find a place that will put me on clinic accounts only.  I need steady work and at least .08 a line.  Does anyone have any suggestions of companies the ...

Just Failed A Test (25 Plus Years Experience)
Jun 22, 2010

I must be getting too old for this and losing grey cells.  Totally ashamed. I thought the testing was difficult, but.... Either retirement or change of career may be in store for me. ...

Offered 8 Cpl At SoftScript For 20 Years Experience.
Jan 05, 2011

Has anyone said that was not enough and have them counter offer with more?  I don't plan on working for SS (I saw way too many complaints on the other board about them), but what about future offers which I suspect will not be any higher?  I saw on the resume board what I consider way too many willing to work for 7 cpl with plenty of experience.  Is it likely they will pay more when others are willing to work for so much less?  And many of these 7 cpl were IC.  Al ...

How Long Should An MT With 10+ Years Experience Expect To Be On
Apr 26, 2011

Sometimes I wonder with companies who pay an MT less while they are on full QA, if they don't simply keep that MT on QA for as long as possible to avoid paying the higher rate.  Has anyone ever pressed the QA issue? ...

TTD - Recent Info...not Somebody's Bad Experience Over 2 Years Ago
May 28, 2012

I find it frustrating that some MTs are completely unhappy with this company and yet you find threads of MTs who are happy. ?? How can it be both ways.    I would like to hear from someone who is HAPPY with transcription doctors.  Not smart off comments from people who are just feeding off the threads of others.  Just because a hiring process is easy, does not mean it is a bad company.  As far as the 6 weeks to get the first check...that is in the initial paperwork we received, so that&# ...

6 Years Experience, But No Formal Training -HELP
Dec 07, 2012

Hi all, I have been doing MT on a contingent basis for the last 6 years for my mom (who used to run her own I/C company). For the past 3 years I've been a CNA and this past August had to choose between knee surgery to continue being a CNA or to find another line of work, I have 2 little girls, so I chose the later.  The problem I'm running into is it seems to be a requirement to have a degree or cert in MT/ME to find ANY thing in this field! Does anyone know of a company that doe ...

Failed MQ Test? 15 Years Experience? Anyone Else Have Trouble?
Jul 18, 2010

Anyone ever failed the Medquist Test. Do they let you see results?   I thought I did great, however, evidently not? I have 15 years experience.     ...

I REFUSE TO ACCEPT 7 TO 8 CPL WITH 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE-IT IS AN INSULT TO ME
Aug 11, 2010

I have been testing all week. Some companies will not even discuss pay until you take their tests. Then, I waste my time taking these tests only to be offered 7 and 8 cpl. It is absolutely offensive to me to offer me that low pay. You want all of my years of experience, but only want to pay "newbie" rates. I am completely and wholeheartedly giving up on this profession. ...

Have Satellite Internet. DO You Know Anyone Who Will Hire Me With 20+ Years Experience?
Jan 31, 2012

I moved to the country and now I have to use Satellite internet.  Are there any companies that will hire you with satellite internet?  ...

Years Of Experience Transcribing Psych Reports
Jul 19, 2012

Is there anyone here who can tell me for certain why so many companies want MTs to have 3-5 years experience for psych transcribing? I've transcribed many psych reports and they are not that difficult. Is there more involved when it is strictly psych doctors? Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me.  ...

Finding An Online Medical Transcription School To Go To
Aug 09, 2011

ok so i really need some help. I want to be a mt but i'm having a hard time finding an online school to go to. Just when i think i've picked one, i see a bunch of bad reviews for it or that it isn't really accredited. Also, i was wondering if you really get paid as much as it says on the internet.. ...

Is InScribe LLC, Kentucky Changing; Anyone Recently Apply Or Been Hired Who Has Years Of Experience;
May 11, 2011

Okay, I know InScribe LLC (Kentucky) has been on the Boards multiple times (at least monthly, if not weekly, it seems), but I just noticed they have a “Premium” ad at the top of the Job Seeker’s Board.  I guess these “Featured Listings” are not free, as the other listings are.  If I remember correctly, most of the posts on the Boards have been by Newbies, because InScribe evidently is one of the few MTSOs that hire new graduates.  However, it appear ...

25+ Years Medical Transcriptionist Considering
Apr 29, 2013

Hello:  I am 58 years old and have been doing medical transcription for 25+ years.  The group I transcribe for online is transitioning over to total EMR, thus will be leaving me without a job in the not too distant future.  I don't do Acute care, so there are next to no opportunities for other transcription jobs.  There are no jobs to be had in my very, very small town (including the 25-bed hospital) so I'm considering going with online classes for training and cert ...

Few Ideas On What I Avoided For Years- IT And A Medical Dict Etc.
Oct 03, 2010

I think I have to change my ideas about some things I did the old-fashioned way.  I've tried to kind of summarize the things I've learned from a new job: 1.  I just started a new job and FOR YEARS I have avoided Instant Text-- Now I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.   I am new, but I don't know why I did not try it years ago.  It is not hard to expand the things with the [ and the ;.  Don't know why I thought it would be.  Everything in 1 place, not some ...

A Medical Transcriptionist Of 10 Years Lost Her Job Today
May 17, 2011

Dear Fellow Transcriptionists: I just want to vent and tell you what happened to me today.  I lost my job today because I got a 97.9 on my quality review, which was done on my work in about 3 years. I was working as an independent contractor and I was told that I was being terminated and when I asked if I could be put on another account, they said they were not hiring employees just independent contractors, no employees. I am so upset. I have been a transcriptionist for 10 years this ...

Career Change After 20 Years Of Medical Transcription
Dec 22, 2013

Anybody got any ideas for a career change for someone that has been doing medical transcription for 20 years? ...

What Would Be A Reasonable Hourly Wage For A Medical Transcriptionist Of 12.5 Years?
Nov 30, 2012

Hi: I have worked for the same hospital for 12.5 years, so there is a lot of loyalty there. I live in a southern state in the USA. I get paid an hourly pay plus $0.47 incentive for anything over 90 minutes. My hourly pay to me is low, but not below $10.00 an hour. Is 20.00 per hour appropriate or am I wrong? Thanks in advance for the advice. PS: I am not here for a debate just want to know what is a good hourly pay for 12.5 years. Thanks, Mel ...

Used To Hope For Lots Of Work, Now I Hope For NJA Or To Be FIRED
Oct 09, 2013

This job is not worth the trouble.  It certainly does nothing for me when I open the "paycheck" every 2 weeks and see that despite my 40 "power hours" every week, I made less than last time.  No matter what, I cannot manage to make a decent living here any more.  I am over it.  Sad to admit, and yes, the shame is on me, but I do wish for NJA or even better, to be FIRED from this place.  Just had to get this off my chest before I burst into flames of fury at the horrid qu ...

Has Anyone Had Experience Doing Any Other Transcription Besides Medical
Sep 10, 2011

I have become pretty miserable/bored lately.  I know its the job itself and I know what the future holds for it, but I can't go back to school right now to try to further my education for something else because I homeschool my kids and that is my first priority.  MT is just part time.  I've been MT'ing for close to 15 years and have never done any other transcribing.  I was just wondering if I wanted to venture out of medical and do general transcription w ...

Any Experience With USA Medical Transcription?
Aug 27, 2012

Does anyone have any experience with USA Medical Transcription? I've read a couple of bad things about them. I don't want to apply to anyone who will treat me like I have been treated. I'm SO close to getting out of transcription and I'm a damn good transcriptionist! ...

My Positive Experience With Another Medical Must
Aug 16, 2014

I'm leaving my weekend part-time position with Another Medical Must only because I'm going to be working as a pet sitter/dog walker on weekends starting next weekend.  The owner of Another Medical Must has posted the vacancy here on MT Stars, and I would just like to say that she is wonderful to work for.  I've been slowly phasing out of MT work the past couple of years since I now work full time at our university and only need to supplement my full time income with a fe ...