A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

When will the stats show the reality in transcription? - Scooby-Doo

Posted: Nov 15, 2009

In searching the web for a new job I keep running into federal and state stats that say the low end salary of a newbie transcriptionist is $14 and high end is $24.  They must be talking American dollars because Indians make $0.78 an hour.  They also say it is a growing field (so much so it's spilling into the sea and floating to India) and there is a high demand for experienced medical transcriptionists (!?) 

Where the heck do they get their outdated information???  I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone where I'm the only one that has a clue to reality. 

blowin smoke.. - MT17

[ In Reply To ..]
So they say the demand is "high" for experienced MTs? Funny thing is, I am an experienced MT, 20 years, laid-off from major MTSO, wishing at the end I could have even hit $14 an hour, with all the awful ESLs, horrible audio, shall I go on? Oh, then my job floated to India! They are blowin a lot of smoke don't ya think?

actually, floated to.. - MT17

[ In Reply To ..]
the Philippines....sorry me bad!

They left out important data: That the MT field is only - growing in India and Philippines, NOT here. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

blowin smoke - rierie

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes "THEY" really are blowin smoke if not S----. I've been doing this 25 years. As recently as 2001 was consistently making $27-32/hr. HOW I LONG FOR THAT. YOU WOULD THINK THAT AFTER FT. HOOD (WHERE I ONCE HAD A FAMILY MEMBER STATIONED) THEY WOULD STOP THE NONSENSE. AS SOMEONE FROM THE MIDDLE EAST SAID, ACCORDING TO MUSLIM LAW THE U.S. ARMY DR. (ORIGNALLY FROM THE MIDDLE EAST) DID NOTHING WRONG. I GUESS WE NEED A MARCH ON WASHINGTON OF MTS TO STOP THIS. WHY SHOULD THEY WORK WHEN WE CAN'T? WE NEED TO UNITE AND TRY TO DO SOMETHING.

Nearly everything about the US Government is outdated, - ESPECIALLY their information. -nm-

[ In Reply To ..]

outdated or downright misleading? - ggmt

[ In Reply To ..]
When I researched MT back in 2007, the government information was dated 2006 and said that the field was growing and there were no end of jobs. Within 4 months of starting MT school I learned just how much VR and offshoring was affecting the MT world. I have a feeling that the government is downplaying the amount of offshoring that really goes on in a lot of industries.

Govmt = outdated. MT schools = misleading. - $45-50K a year? Gimme a BREAK.

[ In Reply To ..]
What REALLY burns me is that lots of these medical transcription schools are owned by the very same companies that will underpay the graduates of their own schools. Or not hire them at all, in favor of offshore workers.

Similar Messages:

Christmas Time - My Reality Check -- Love What I Do Then MT Reality Sinks In
Dec 22, 2013

REALITY CHECK ... makes me wanna testify this Holiday Season, let me share. I am now working as an MT/ME at a major MTSO corporation - and then reality slaps me in the face, on a daily basis as I merrily type my little fingers away, almost to the point of feeling aches and pain penetrating into my metacarpal phalanges. Now do not get me wrong, I love what I do and enjoy my work... and I am very good at what I do (top Tier ME/MT and QA, at the top of the pay scale, and always maintain 98% p ...

U Show Me Yours I'll Show U Mine
Mar 11, 2011

Okay, I'm new so I am not making much yet. Can we all just make a post saying how many hours we work, what we gross, how long you've been transcribing, and whether it is vr or st? Don't name your company.  This way we can guage what we can expect to be making down the line. I've been transcribing for 2 months. This week  I worked 37 hours and grossed $259.00 and it was 90% VR. ...

Abuse Of Stats
Jan 07, 2011

If I reported a dictator that consistently abuses his priority button to my CCM, will anything be done about.  Just getting annoyed with all these 20 or so 10-minute discharge summaries from my second-secondary of non-emergent issues that this one garbage mouth dictator is putting out, when I've got H&Ps going out of TAT on my main account (that are super easy lines by the way, which annoys me more).  just venting. ...

Does Anybody Know If LPH Stats In 7.2 Accurate?
Mar 28, 2013

Mine shows consistently over the 150 minimum and sometimes over 200, but my supervisor keeps saying I am below 150, and you know what that means..... ...

Looking At My Stats And Doing Some Calculations,
Apr 30, 2014

and, in my case, ASR saves about 25% to 30% of time versus straight transcription, so the fact that I personally am only making 50% of my regular line rate on ASR is the reason my paychecks have gotten so pitiful.  The bottom line is MM has to know ASR is not helping us do the reports twice as fast, so they are purposely not paying us fairly for ASR.  What I would like to know is are they giving the clients a 50% discount on ASR reports? ...

Individual Stats
Feb 02, 2015

since I stopped sending blanks to QA.  No 3cpl deduction for me. ...

Farewell To The Proficiency Stats Email
Mar 14, 2013

the latest proficiency stats email says it will be the last - which is good because I don't think anyone likes them. ...

Has Anyone Seen Reliable Stats On How Many MT Jobs Have Been Offshored?
Dec 16, 2013

xx ...

Perception Vs. Reality
Mar 03, 2010

I have read the emails and spoken with several of my friends as well as my Quality Coach. I have not always agreed with MedQuist over the years, however, I am not so ignorant or blind to miss the fact that the Q ... perceived to be evil or not, IS INVESTING in several programs that undeniably help the MTs who do the right thing, the so-call "higher performers".     ...

Need To Know The Reality About An MT Career
Oct 26, 2011

I am considering going through training to become an MT and have been reading the posts on this forum for several weeks now. Before I make a decision I would like some opinions from you all who know this industry. Specifically, I would be looking to do MT on a part time basis. I am a stay- at- home mom with two kids in elementary school. My questions: 1) How realistic is it to find a part time job in MT (after training) where I can work my own hours from home? It seems like a lot of ...

Internet And Reality
May 01, 2012

You all do know that because this is a public forum, that ANYONE can say WHATEVER they want and pump up their company, MQ, M*Modal, Nuance, ad. naseum?  Right?  You do know that, okay.  Back in the "day", we kinda knew who was who, and what was what; it is not that way anymore.  It is a whole new world.  You can open a new company with a couple bucks, post a lot of "WOW" comments on Google reviews and what-not, hey, looking good, good ratings/reviews.  Really, you&n ...

Reality Check
Jun 18, 2012

Transcenders are nothing special? Oh yes we are. Worked for a hospital system for over 20 years, was sold into slave labor to Transcend and now Nuance, the Wal Mart of transcription, is taking over. Sit here daily wait, wait, wait for work on an account that I KNOW GOOD AND WELL there is work on. Nuance, the Wal Mart of health care does not care about YOU, ME or the next person. All they want is $$$$$. ...

Dictator Ranting About How His Stats Aren't Typed
Nov 30, 2013

I just had a dictator rant to me about how none of his stat reports are being typed in an urgent fashion. The thing is, he only dictates that they are stat reports, saying "this is a priority report" on his dictations, but never marks the reports themselves as stats so they end up being distributed as regular dictations. It looks like someone wasn't paying attention in training. He must think we all have telepathy and know what is dictated in a report before even getting them. ...

Economic Reality And MQ Policies
Mar 02, 2010

Years ago, hospitals were charged 15 cents a line.  Now you see ads for 9 cents.  You all know all the factors that make this possible.  The executives are not going to lower their salaries; they are going to continue to try to lower their cost per line of transcription.  If you are doing this to make some extra money, that is one thing, but for most MTs there is going to be no way you will be able to earn a decent full-time salary unless you can work 100 hours a week.  ...

The Reality Of The UNION Talk
Apr 25, 2011

The only person REALLY interested is apparently the person who recently posted.  ****** This followup is posted mostly to point out the REALITY and that's that MTs will NEVER unionize :)  It's just a topic that comes up, everybody creates fervor for their POV and then it all goes away (thank goodness)!   ...

Future Of MT -- Love What I Do, But Reality Sinks In
Feb 04, 2012

REALITY CHECK ... makes me wanna holler!! Now working as an ME/MT at two major MTSO corporations – and then reality slaps me in the face, on a daily basis, as I merrily type my little fingers away, almost to the point of feeling a bit of pain and arthritis coming on.  Please someone hand me the Mineral Ice or  Aspercreme before I  can no longer stand the pain !!!  ... and I am very good at what I do (top Tier ME/MT and QA, at the top of the pay scale, and always maint ...

Expectations, Reality Check ..and Plan Of Action
Dec 23, 2012

I just cant believe MMOdal have set their bar so low... What has MModal done to make our accuracy grow DEP programers, heres a piece of advice...get an option of grading the dictator in ur next version of DEP within the file....like, excellent, decent, good, bad, worst...whoever ever get 2 weeks of worst % should be warned if still no improvement, penailze with heafty fine and still no improvement, should be dumped from dictating forever.. 1.  MMODAL face it..ur DEP program is grabage..e ...

No Show
May 26, 2011

Why do companies call you and if you are not there they leave a number.  Then when you call back they are not there. You tell them that you are interested, but they never call back. I even called back twice and never got a call back. Plus I have had companies send me e-mails that they are interested and fill out the form.  Then I never here anything. What is up with all this? ...

Show Of Hands Please
Mar 04, 2010

can i see a show of hands of how many of my fellow MT's are THIS CLOSE to throwing in the towel, not only with MQ, but just transcription companies in general?  I am first, who's next?  Let me see those hands!!! ...

NEW NBC SHOW ABOUT OUTSOURCING
Aug 31, 2010

I JUST WANT TO VENT.  I don't remember the exact name of this new NBC show making a comedy out of outsourcing - but I think we all need to find out who or where to write and tell them OUTSOURCING OVERSEAS IS NOT FUNNY!!  From what I gather from the ads the jobs go to India (I believe) and it's supposed to be so funny.  It's not freakin amusing in the least.  We aren't the only industry who have been royaly SCREWED by big companies.  T ...

Show Of Hands
Jul 11, 2012

working on a new compensation plan? I think that all went out the window with the JP Morgan/Chase thing. ...

Let's Take A Show Of Hands
Feb 24, 2013

Okay everyone... who knew TTS and Nuance were affiliated??   Come to find out, they do our "overflow" and here's the nasty, subversive part -- They get paid more to do it.    Feelin' the love. ...

Please Don't Show A Picture Of It
Apr 05, 2013

When I have to look things up, I find myself saying, "Please don't show a picture of it," i.e. Fournier's gangrene, etc.... Now we know why I did not become a doctor ...

Show Of Hands...
May 25, 2013

With straight typing, one space after a period or two? I haven't used two spaces since the old days of typewriters.  Am I getting a lower line count with using only one?  ...

A Show Of Hands Please
May 03, 2014

Just because I'm curious, and I bet lots of others are as well, how many working Nuance MLSs are actively looking for a job? Please vote 'do not like'. How many Nuance MLSs are planning to stay with it for at least another 12 months? Please vote 'like' So 'like' if you like being an MLS and want to stay with it. My vote will be the first one cast. ...

First Paycheck 12/26 Will Show
Nov 30, 2014

Hopefully we will be able to see what our wages will be on Webclock.  But they will probably try to disguise that with complex calculations too. If not and we see drastic reductions in our wages, my bet is that there will be more call offs than usual on Christmas eve and Christmas day.    ...

We Could Show Up At The Next Shareholder's Meeting Or At The
May 27, 2015

Would THAT not be an absolute blast? ...

Did Anyone See The Show Undercover Boss Last Night?
Feb 08, 2010

Did anyone see the show Undercover Boss last night?  Do ya think the suits at MQ would do that - ha, never would be a consideration for them -- if any of them did see it, they probably laughed.  They don't realize and don't care to realize what we do to fill their pockets.  Bottom line for them is money in their pockets and the big bonuses they get for signing papers and closing those deals that don't benefit the MT at all -- the ones who are keeping the profit going for them. ...

MRI - This Did Show Some Mild To Moderate Changes With A Grade I
Jul 04, 2011

with s/l parafusion of the disc space.  TIA   ...

S/l Show Pad Strap And Heel Cups
Nov 21, 2012

My recommendation would be physical therapy.  In addition we have gotten him show pad straps and heel cups. ...