A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

new message from Shaw - regarding NJA

Posted: Aug 13, 2013

available on Intranet.  Changing from 15 down to 6 minutes wait time.

Hmmm... why the change? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Is it because it is illegal?

Probably because it is cheaper - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
They would only pay for 6 minutes instead of 15.

Why is it illegal? - cheated

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Unpaid wait time - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Because we can wait 14 min, no work and then a job comes in. It happens all the time to me. This will cut down on a lot of waiting.
Sounds like a lot more work - for the TSM
[ In Reply To ..]
has to contact MTs to tell them when to make up work if they chose that option.
did it used to not say that? - about makeup time?
[ In Reply To ..]
did it always say you have to get with your TSM about when to make up time?
It always said that, but I never, never, got called...ever!! - cheated
[ In Reply To ..]
X
it never said consecutive - I copied it and still have old policy
[ In Reply To ..]
NM
Thanks for the confirmation on that! - cheated
[ In Reply To ..]
I just made no sense to me how they could say it had to be consecutive and then if you kept getting working after waiting any amount of time, that could potentially add up to a lot. Now we just have to figure out how this "calling" us when there is work...hahahaha!
If it always said that, obviously - some TSMs
[ In Reply To ..]
have a reading comprehension problem.
No it never did and I complained to HR - consecutive versus cumulative
[ In Reply To ..]
I filed a complaint with HR regarding this very thing because some shifts I would sit for over an hour unpaid at 8 minutes then 10 minutes then 12 until finally 15 and I was released from my shift. So they very clearly documented consecutive in this new policy revision which is smart.

On the flip side, 6 minutes of minimum wage for my state is 50 cents. I don't get the 4 hours at benefit rate or 2 hours. All Mmodal has to pay me when they run out of work is 6 minutes per shift. What is their incentive to provide me work at all?
So Im slow, sorry - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Am I reading into this right? Once you are released from a shift you cannot go back to it? AND if I chose to make up the time, it is at a time when my TSM decides for me? That makes ZERO sense to me and does seem a bit illegal
They can go ahead and try to stop me - already getting the emails
[ In Reply To ..]
I filed a work availability ticket yesterday and kept right on working. Its my schedule. What are they going to do, lock us out now? I don't think so. The only thing the release does is cover their butt for not paying "engaged to work" pay. I sat in my office and did homework in between jobs. I started 15 minutes early, worked through my break and worked 15 minutes past my shift and ended up with pretty close to enough hours for the day. Not the ideal working situation but productive.

I also got an email from my TSM telling me when she wanted me to make up my hours from yesterday and today but I didn't even bother to respond. I may just take PTO if I run short instead. If they can't provide work during the schedule we were demanded to switch to then tough bananas. They can't have it both ways where we are locked into a schedule but end up working when they want us to anyway. Enough is enough.
What is it going to take? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I am not used to the "business world," I worked with the state before this so I don't know the procedures to start to straighten this mess out. All I know for sure is they are in violation of the FLSA and even my college business major son said they are pulling some illegal garbage. Is there a national labor board or something we can collectively email? Reason I say national is because we are all over the country. I am just throwing ideas around because not only is it my job, but it is part of my personal medical records, that I would rather not be handled by India.
Hospitals - artlady
[ In Reply To ..]
What role do hospitals and other medical institutions play in this? Perhaps informing the greater community of this outsourcing would be a way to get a stronger constituency in which to bring these jobs back home. Who is reaping the benefits of this sweatshop labor in India? I thought companies were making a concerted effort to bring work back to Americans. Appears MModal is working backward toward the darker ages with outsourcing U.S. medical institutions to India. Very disturbing..
they know their accounts are being offshored - dead end
[ In Reply To ..]
they have to agree to it. So that's really where the blame lies, the greed of the medical institutions, not M2, they can only do what the customer allows.
Well as long as we have been getting paid-sm - cheated
[ In Reply To ..]
for NJA I have never read that it was consecutive time and the policy before did not reflect this. I checked several times for that exact wording. Anyway, I have always just added up my time of NJA to reach a total of 15 minutes and submitted this on my ticket. No one from above every called me on this or informed me that it was not correct. Also, when they told us to "split" time on the time card, that was more reason to not view it as consecutive time. The new policy does say 6 minutes consecutive time.

So Im saying thatif you have those 14 minutes occur over and over, it can really add up and affect your benefit line rate as well as production line count and that would be wrong. So, as in my post below, I have a lot of NJA tickets, nearly every day for the past 6-8 months and I think that became a problem for them, thus the new 6 minute rule and now more of a reason/excuse for them to force us to change schedules to work when the work is supposedly there.. and as we have seen from others, that does not always work either.

This blows some of the TSMs - out of the water

[ In Reply To ..]
who said we couldn't use the excused absence, no work pay code. :-p

I thought about that too. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
:)

or the ones who said we must take PTO - take that!

[ In Reply To ..]
The email makes it crystal clear that the employee does NOT have to take PTO for NJA.

My impression was that we can use no job available... - Gigner

[ In Reply To ..]
Does that sound right? I was told by TSM that we couldn't use NJA as an excuse anymore, but in the email from Shaw it didn't say anything like that and in fact seemed to imply that we can still use it.

yes you have it correct - tried to tell you last week

[ In Reply To ..]
Your TSM is wrong stating that you can't use NJA, and you have this newly updated policy (which I am sure your TSM received as well) to back you up.

It didnt imply it; - it outright stated it (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I am from NY and have never ever received the 4 hours - listed on the policy. Anyone else in

[ In Reply To ..]
states that have specific rules receive what is listed? It says it is the TSMs responsibility to add that to the timecard?

Two words: - Back Pay!!

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I live in CA and always get my four hours - mpe

[ In Reply To ..]
The TSM I have now tells me to add four hours to my card under work availability. The others, I had to contact pay roll when they did it incorrectly and payroll sent me a seperate check. If you haven't been getting paid, you need to go back into your timecard and contact payroll for your back pay. That is against the law of your state. It has nothing to do with MM. It is a state law.

Live in CA also, always get it. YOU must add it to timesheet though. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I'm a NY MT - NYS MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been paid the minimum wage for NYS residents. I always put in my Remedy ticket that I am a NYS resident as well as on the time card along with the Remedy #. There was 1 time that I didn't and I didn't get paid, complained to my TCM and received a payment for it.

NY State minimum wage - NY MT too

[ In Reply To ..]
I did not know to ask for this payment and do not understand when we receive it and why. Is this only when we make up the time or do we get paid this also with the PTO paid. Please explain! Thanks.
NYS NJA MT - NY MT too
[ In Reply To ..]
If there is not enough work or no work, MM is to pay NYS MTs minimum wage up for to 4 hours or hours remaining in their shift, which ever is less. You are not required to make up those hours not worked. For example: you are scheduled for a 6 hour shift, log in, no work after 6 minutes, you 4 hours minimum wage, and nothing for the 2 remaining hours, your choice if you want to make up the 2 hours. If you are scheduled for a 6 hour shift, but only have work for 1 hour, you will be paid minimum wage for 3 hours (1 hour worked + 3 hours minimum wage = 4 hours), again the remaining 2 is up to you. Hope this clears this up.
NY minimum wage - NY MT too
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes it does! Thanks for the explanation.

What is their incentive for providing work then? - Starving us all out I guess

[ In Reply To ..]
Whenever they make a policy change it never benefits the employees. What exactly does the company gain from releasing employees after only 6 minutes? To force us to move to different shifts? To pay us even less for downtime than they currently do? They win if we take no pay, they win if we use up our PTO and they win if we make up hours. So why in the world would they actually want to provide work?

they have no incentive to provide us with work - thats all for India

[ In Reply To ..]
but I am glad we got some clarification since everyone was interpreting that 15 minute thing differently.

Bingo! - That was my first thought

[ In Reply To ..]
it never benefits us. What if you choose to continue waiting after 6 minutes, is that allowed or is this a way to make us sign off the remainder of a shift?

Less pay out to employees - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
More $$$$$$$$$ for corporate.

So they finally found a way to cut costs further. Basically - reducing Work Avail more than half company wide.

[ In Reply To ..]
Wonder where that money will now go.

Well I think it is time to job hunt - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Seems like this horse is dieing a lot faster then I thought.

Similar Messages:

Shaw Tip
Aug 06, 2013

Another useless tip. ...

OK Shaw...
Sep 03, 2013

"productivity tips"  have finally jumped the shark.  I think most of us who have been doing this job for more than about a week understand that keeping a neat desk and not checking feedback while working are conducive to productivity.  Here's a tip for you: Treat highly skilled and knowledgable workers like valued assets who are able to make choices and decisions on their own, not like robotic drones who have no clue how to get work accomplished.  Otherwise spare us the ...

Another E-mail From Shaw
Jul 17, 2013

I have a feeling MM is the new Nuance.  Shaw is the screw-tightener... ...

Shaw's Tip Number 1.
Aug 04, 2013

One of his tips was: Try something new - Exchange your foot pedal for a keyboard shortcut to toggle your audio! Hmmmm... I don't find a keyboard shortcut to toggle the audio on and off. I only know/find the shortcuts for toggling speed and for toggling tone. I have checked F1. Can anyone enlighten me as to what the audio on/off toggle keyboard shortcut is? I really doubt there is one. Double checking for confirmation. Thanks ...

S/l Shaw Feed
Oct 10, 2013

s/l shaw feed.  patient first fed via shaw feed, any ideas?  Never heard this one before. ...

What? Shaw Is Leaving Us?
Mar 04, 2015

a "Senior Vice President of Coding Solutions" as well as a whole host of other suit promotions and departures. ...

I Find It Sad That When I Hear Dr. S/l Shaw
May 05, 2013

Typo In Shaw's Email
Sep 12, 2013

Perhaps Shaw should have one of us working for him so he doesn't send out "important" emails like taking everything away from everybody with a typo!!  "You will receive an FAQ document in a separate email to help answer questions you may have."    ...

Shaw Failed His Audit
Sep 17, 2013

Sent out tip number 10 but inserted tip number 9!!!  Too bad we cant take away their bonuses, hey?  Oops... you are now in performance management shaw.  You pay is cut in half and you will now be micromanaged until you poke your own eyes out. Now get to work!!! Mandatory OT for you.  ...

I Love Shaw's New Tip!! So Informative
Nov 19, 2013

Need for speed.  Really love that one.  I can tell Shaw has transcribed multiple times before. ha ha ...

Shaw's E Mails Literally Crack Me Up!
Jul 23, 2013

These stupid tips he gives in his e mails. Has he ever transcribed a day in his life?? My guess..no! ...

I Wish Shaw Could Be Working My Shift Today.
Aug 29, 2013

I have worked so hard all day, have next to nil inactive time, and still, barely the minimum line count. I would especially like him to do the last report with the horrible scratchy sound with the doctor alternatively blasting out my ears and not talking into the phone, and the horrible output. Ha, ha - spend a day in our shoes. What a challenge :) I doubt he is up for the challenge, though. ...

Hey Shaw, Guess What My Mentor Said After Shadowing Me?
Sep 17, 2013

She said, "retype more". She had nothing else to say after watching me work. I use a lot of keyboard shortcuts, but I can still mouse faster. The secret to being fast on the mouse is learning to use it on the left side of the keyboard so you don't have to reach back and forth past the number pad. It's only mere inches when it is on the left side. I have never found a way to Ctl Alt I with all my fingers on the keys. Again Shaw, spend a day (or better yet, a week) in our sho ...

What Does SHDA And HDS Stand For In Shaw's E Mail?
Sep 20, 2013

I don't understand why we need all these new abbreviations for titles.  ...

Anyone Have Email Address For King Shaw?
Dec 28, 2013

I am looking for an Mmodal email address for Shaw.  They seem to hide his email like a snake hides in the grass...hmm.... I would like to ask him about ASR and why each time they "upgrade" it, the system gets worse and worse.  I am also going to petition him for our line rates to be increased as this system does not do what he said it was intended to do - make our jobs easier.  The whole reason our pay was cut was because he thought we were making too much money with the new and e ...

Anyone Read Shaw's New Newsletter Tips
Mar 21, 2014

Eye on quality?? Wow..so informative..not! How about an eye on paying professional MT's a decent wage, what about that Shaw??? You get what you pay for ...

Oh Goody, Shaw Has A New Productivity Tracking Tool For Us.
Jul 12, 2013

Whatever my count is, too bad. With the sorry excuse for ASR that we given to edit, let the chips lay where they might. Whatever my line count is, I am doing the best I can - as confirmed by the fact I have next to no nonproductive time showing on my statistics. ...

Just A Message To MTs.
Dec 01, 2009

I'm just wondering when was the last time any of us took a moment and researched outside of this forum to get a better idea of what is happening with the MT industry?  Someone had asked last week for a listing of the largest? MTSOs.  I posted regarding the KLAS MTSO study June 2008, but I wonder just how many MTs actually read it and absorbed the information that was made available to them within the free study. There's all the commotion about  ...

Please See Message.
Dec 09, 2009

His kidneys are slightly smaller, probably reflecting chronic atrophy from hypertension, which is likely ____standing than he is aware of. ...

See Message Please
Jan 15, 2010

Patient and wife are divorced but live together. He is self-employed and has a s/l *cokestay* with his wife. ...

NPG Or MPG?... See Message Please
Apr 08, 2010

The doctor is saying:  The patient is a physical therapist with an s/l MPG or NPG.    TIA  ...

See Message, S/l C-TON
Jun 03, 2010

"On exam, her perineum was soft.  The ________ (s/l) C-TON was intact." ...

S/l La-ric-a *see Message
Aug 24, 2010

He had some abdominal pain a month or so ago which responded nicely to s/l la-rick-a ...

Lab Value...see Message Please
Nov 17, 2010

The doc is dictating lab values and says:  hematocrit 40 "volumes percent."  What is the proper way to type this?  TIA ...

New Message From The Top
Mar 31, 2011

Did anyone else get the message from Massanotti?  What do you think?  Also, I went to medquist.com and was struck by the fact that they are marketing front-end dictation systems with SpeechQ, thereby eliminating transcriptionists altogether!  I am not surprised, any way to get us out of the picture will make them more money.  It just seems odd that they would tell us on one hand that they value us and then on the other try to get rid of us altogether.... ...

No Message
Aug 02, 2011

no message  ...

GVS? Please See Message..
Aug 16, 2011

Doc is dictating list of patient's problems with no further elaboration and says what sounds like GVS.  Anyone know what that stands for?  TIA ...

Please See Message
Sep 28, 2011

Word I need help with is clearly pronounced as "M eyeds."  Doctor dictates:  "She is allergic to anything cocaine-based or local anesthetics (M eyeds.) Thank you very much!  ...

Message From TT
Jan 17, 2012

What does this mean?  Several websites will be participating in a voluntary shutdown on january 18th . This is only a temporary action but does include a few noteworthy websites (google and wikipedia). You can use yahoo.com instead of google tomorrow.   ...

Message For Some Of The
Jun 03, 2013

below who seem to adore MM so much (although a couple of you I don't really believe work for MM or are even MTs for that matter), what would be the tipping point for you to say enough is enough and start to hate on MM as much as some of us?   If they went down to say a penny a line with 100% accuracy would you still love it as much?  Just curious.   ...