A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Just a message to MTs. - Tired&CrankyMT

Posted: Dec 01, 2009

I'm just wondering when was the last time any of us took a moment and researched outside of this forum to get a better idea of what is happening with the MT industry? 

Someone had asked last week for a listing of the largest? MTSOs.  I posted regarding the KLAS MTSO study June 2008, but I wonder just how many MTs actually read it and absorbed the information that was made available to them within the free study.

There's all the commotion about Transcend taking over MDI these past few months that took quite a few by surprise, but the KLAS study dated June 2008 clearly states in a few places that Transcend acquired MDI in 2005, they only just recently merged.  This strikes me as odd that no MDI MTs knew this information from 4 years ago.

Another detail I have yet to see mentioned is how Nuance is just branching out all over the place.  Read the KLAS study to see just how far they have branched out.  It has acquired Focus and more recently Nuance has acquired eScription in May 2008, the platform that many MT-editors rave about on the VR boards.  The eScription platform is in use by a majority of MTSOs included in that same KLAS 2008 MTSO study, but it is the very last paragraph on page 22 of this KLAS study that speaks the loudest to me, further reinforcing my avoidance to seek employ with any companies that offshore work and now to further avoid any company currently using any form of eScription. 

"Another factor that will affect the MTSO industry is the recent acquisition of eScription by Nuance. It will be interesting to see how other MTSOs who utilize the eScription toolkit will be affected by this acquisition since Nuance also owns Focus, and Focus is a major competitor of many MTSOs using the tool. At least seven MTSOs that KLAS is aware of currently utilize eScription."

Sample of the KLAS study can be saved using this link:  http://www.klasresearch.com/inc/download_docs.asp?filename=sample_Medical_Transcription_Services_Organizations_2008_128593275303453750.pdf&filepath=samples

This link will take you to the KLAS site where you can get the link above:  http://www.klasresearch.com/Klas/Site/Store/ReportDetail.aspx?ProductID=484

Maybe nothing will happen and the eScription MTSO Alliance will keep on, but my gut tells me to read between the lines and heed the warning in the KLAS' quote above and expect Nuance/Focus to branch out even further.

I have to ask this. 

Why would anyone seek employ with a company who supports offshoring and/or uses a platform that is knowingly advertised to lower your earnings as an MT, make MTs produce more and eventually aid in phasing MTs right out of a job?  Can someone explain this to me?  See link to read quotes below for yourself:  http://www.nuance.com/healthcare/products/escription.asp

" The eScription platform is deployed enterprise-wide at healthcare organizations throughout the U.S., and is proven to increase MT productivity, reduce document turnaround time, and decrease medical transcription costs"

"Decreases Costs in medical transcription by increasing the productivity of medical transcriptionists. Healthcare organizations can do more with their in-house resources, reduce or eliminate overflow outsourced work, or decrease the cost of outsourced transcription because it’s faster to edit than to type."

There was also another post on one of these boards about 'live transcription' for radiology position.  Visit www.healthdatamanagement.com and read this article from September 2007, "Giving Transcription a Trim."

http://www.healthdatamanagement.com/issues/20070901/15682-1.html

Let me know if you still think 'live transcription' means the work will be performed by MTs.

Questions for you. - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Why do we drive cars instead of using horses and buggies? Why do we use electric lights instead of candles? Why do we use computers instead of typewriters? I could go on, but I think you get my drift.

Yes, I get your drift - Tired&CrankyMT

[ In Reply To ..]

You didn't bother to read the study and would rather keep wearing those rose-colored glasses because the information posted in the above message you replied to with your inane questions currently doesn't affect you much at all. That's my take on your 'drift.'

You sound a bit too cranky - 2 cents

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Whereas your reply is pointless & infantile. I'd rather be cranky. - Tired&CrankyMT
[ In Reply To ..]

Here's your sign.
Just like most of your posts. nm - Thankful I have a job in this economy. Not a whin
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Wow... you really did your homework. Time to take off the rose-colored glasses! - wordlady

[ In Reply To ..]
I have not yet had time to go to those links you provide but I certainly well do that later on today. Thanks for all of this info, as bleak as it is. Feel like the end is coming in more ways than one.

Trascend acquired two different companies called MDI - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
In 2005, Transcend acquired MDI-FL, which was the Florida company.

This year is when Transcend acquired MDI-MD, the Maryland company.

Same name, but different companies.

Thank you for clarifying that - Tired&CrankyMT

[ In Reply To ..]

I knew of there being 2 MDIs, I was not aware MDI-FL had also been acquired and the information mentioned pertained solely to the FL branch and not the MD branch, which now explains why it came as a surprise. Sorry for the confusion, but again, thank you for clearing that up.

In response to MT's posting, yes I subscribe to a variety of industry-specific publications/websites and AdvanceWeb and AHIMA are part of them. Thank you for posting those 2 resources for others to research.

I posted KLAS links... - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
quite a long time ago. No one seems interested. If you really want good, up-to-date HIM information, join AHIMA. Advance is also another place that publishes MT-related info. They will also send out their magazine to you for free. This industry is changing every day, but MTs are not following along. We have been left in the dust...and it's our own fault -- out of sight, out of mind.

Thanks for starting a valuable thread on the question of our future. SM - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Truth to tell, I don't feel taking a stand against offshoring is a winning strategy. That one's already been largely lost to economic and geographic advantages ("follow the sun") as other English-speaking countries (Canada, India, etc.) are developing increasingly skilled workforces. That's just the way it is. Keeping us employed is literally below 0 (negative numbers here) on the list of hospital priorities. Security issues will be taken care of as these nations pass whateer laws are needed to keep the work coming. I do take some satisfaction from knowing that the company I work for, Webmedx, has been working hard to keep work US-based.

On the plus side, the future does seem at this point to include editing jobs, but at vastly decreased numbers per patient factor. That's also the way it is.

My own biggest concern is how to be one of the survivors, and my biggest worry is my age. I'm healthy, all right, but technically fall into the age group that's most responsible for increased healthcare premiums. We're already hearing from skilled MTs being passed over for what they believe is age.

I'm keeping a very interested eye on the public option negotiations. At my company I would't qualify for group plan participation as a part-time worker. By any chance would I then qualify for a public plan? If so, and if needed, I'd become a high-producing 35-hour employee faster than I could say, "Liability, who me?"

(BTW, I was working at Transcend when it acquired the Florida MDI, all aboveboard.)

excuse me, but what is your message?...Promotion of Nuance?..nm - ..

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

My message is, as MTs we should really be more - Tired&CrankyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
in tune with what is happening in this industry and stop sitting around waiting for the other shoe to drop catching us all by surprise. These message boards are great for sharing industry-specific news, but rarely does anyone post articles concerning things that will be/are affecting us as MTs as a whole.

If after reading my post and viewing the links provided, the only thing you walked away with is that I am 'promoting Nuance,' then sadly, you missed the entire point of my posting.

My take...... - travelinMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I work as a consultant and I travel all over the US to hospitals that are basically in a mess with their backlog/system/and or staffing. I have seen Nuance and Powerscribe work in Radiology in a large hospital in Ohio but and that is a BIG BUT....there was only one doc who agreed to get with the program and edit/sign his own reports and he was a per diem military doc who was using the system in the base hospital where they had no option to refuse editing their reports, thus it was the norm for him. There were several docs who insisted on having gab fests in the dictation suite even though they understood the dictation equipment picked up the background noise. There were doctors who were not willing to speak slowly and clearly so that the system could "learn" their voice...the end result was 9 transcriptionists still had jobs editing the in-house voice dictation (at the same hourly pay they had been receiving).

I was sent to another hospital in AZ had the dreaded MQ platform, my job was to edit their reports because the docs did not have the time to do it themselves...Those docs (spoiled puppies that they were) revolted one day went screaming and yelling to the dept. administrator and all the way to hospital administration demanding they dig out the old Dictaphone units so that they could dictate on tape. They said by the time they got into the system (which was extremely slow despite many attempts at fixing it) dictated the report and then going back into the system to sign it off after it was edited (remember not all systems are created equal) it was putting them too far behind in reading their x-rays. They ended up hiring a large well-known transcription service to do their transcription. Suffice it to say that account was on 100% QA and the reports that came back to us were a complete and total nightmare, they might as well have come from India and I ended up having to edit their work...send copies and notations of corrections. There were days when I was so sick of stupid errors I used to send snarky notes to their QA people along with the totally messed up report and say "Please tell me this report did not go through QA before it came to me".

Another hospital in Cali tried the MQ route too, after months of not being able to get the MQ system to work with the hospital's computer system (this was a huge hospital system in the Northern Calif. area), they ended up outsourcing the entire mess to MQ.

These were all huge sometimes multi-hospital Radiology depts. (which according to the article is the easiest modality to switch over to these types of systems). All I am saying is they gave 3 different facilities where they say it worked like a charm and I just gave you three that were all not so successful. My take on the whole situation is...it is only as successful as the docs want to make it. If any type of Govt. mandated healthcare gets enacted and these hospitals/clinics, etc. get busier I think you are going to see a huge mess as they are trying to cope with a machine doing what it clearly takes a real live person to do and make sure it is right. The doc's are not going to have the time to do it if they end up with an even larger patient load.

I have seen several hospitals give up the outsourcing and bring everything back in house with real Transcriptionist editing, troubleshooting and actually using the training we have to assist the doctors in giving the patients the best care possible. I may be just living a dream but I also saw a large teaching hospital in my home town that the docs raised so much H#$$ and refused to sign their reports because they didn't have the time to correct them in order to keep from getting slapped with a malpractice suit. That got the hospital administrations attention immediately.

Just some thoughts from someone who has been on the front lines as opposed to a story/report written praising how wonderful XYZ product has worked by the company that is marketing it.

Similar Messages:

Please See Message.
Dec 09, 2009

His kidneys are slightly smaller, probably reflecting chronic atrophy from hypertension, which is likely ____standing than he is aware of. ...

See Message Please
Jan 15, 2010

Patient and wife are divorced but live together. He is self-employed and has a s/l *cokestay* with his wife. ...

NPG Or MPG?... See Message Please
Apr 08, 2010

The doctor is saying:  The patient is a physical therapist with an s/l MPG or NPG.    TIA  ...

See Message, S/l C-TON
Jun 03, 2010

"On exam, her perineum was soft.  The ________ (s/l) C-TON was intact." ...

S/l La-ric-a *see Message
Aug 24, 2010

He had some abdominal pain a month or so ago which responded nicely to s/l la-rick-a ...

Lab Value...see Message Please
Nov 17, 2010

The doc is dictating lab values and says:  hematocrit 40 "volumes percent."  What is the proper way to type this?  TIA ...

New Message From The Top
Mar 31, 2011

Did anyone else get the message from Massanotti?  What do you think?  Also, I went to medquist.com and was struck by the fact that they are marketing front-end dictation systems with SpeechQ, thereby eliminating transcriptionists altogether!  I am not surprised, any way to get us out of the picture will make them more money.  It just seems odd that they would tell us on one hand that they value us and then on the other try to get rid of us altogether.... ...

No Message
Aug 02, 2011

no message  ...

GVS? Please See Message..
Aug 16, 2011

Doc is dictating list of patient's problems with no further elaboration and says what sounds like GVS.  Anyone know what that stands for?  TIA ...

Please See Message
Sep 28, 2011

Word I need help with is clearly pronounced as "M eyeds."  Doctor dictates:  "She is allergic to anything cocaine-based or local anesthetics (M eyeds.) Thank you very much!  ...

Message From TT
Jan 17, 2012

What does this mean?  Several websites will be participating in a voluntary shutdown on january 18th . This is only a temporary action but does include a few noteworthy websites (google and wikipedia). You can use yahoo.com instead of google tomorrow.   ...

Message For Some Of The
Jun 03, 2013

below who seem to adore MM so much (although a couple of you I don't really believe work for MM or are even MTs for that matter), what would be the tipping point for you to say enough is enough and start to hate on MM as much as some of us?   If they went down to say a penny a line with 100% accuracy would you still love it as much?  Just curious.   ...

JAK V? See Message
Aug 13, 2013

Patient with marginal zone lymphoma and myeloproliferative disorder Myeloproliferative disorder with significant fibrosis and a very nice response to (s/l JAK5) _____.  And again - I am going to continue the (s/l JAK5) _____ at current dose. ...

New Message From CEO
Mar 10, 2014

Anyone else get it? ...

Message When Trying To Log In
Sep 26, 2014

"Your user profile failed to download.  You have 3 options.    Log Out - try again later   Retry - try to dlownload user profile again.  Ignore. Have tried "Retry" several times to no avail.  Anybody else having this issue?   ...

Message From PC
Apr 09, 2015

Yep, read it and weep! ...

Message To MM
May 07, 2015

THE PODS ARE NOT WORKING!!!!!!! We have to be on constant MOT which was NEVER requested before.  P O D IS NOT WORKING!!!!!  ...

Did Anyone See This Message And What Do You Think?
May 18, 2015

There is a message on the main board by "Not Sure," with a subject of ICD-10.  What do experienced coders think about this? ...

I HATE ASR! No Message.
Nov 19, 2009

No message ...

Message To The CherryPickers
Dec 19, 2009

This is a message to the cherry pickers on my new account.  Well, you got greedy, skimmed so many of the money-making jobs that it became apparent to all of us including management.    Now, you've lost your jobs.  But during the time that you took part in your malfeasance I have nearly lost my home and had my car repossessed.  Each work day was literally a nightmare well I struggled with one crappy job after another without relief.  My first pay chec ...

Message To TT Management
May 05, 2010

When I started working for TT 3 years ago it was a good company, now every time there is a good week they hire more MTs and my pay goes right back into the crapper.  When did you stop caring about your employees?  Just a thought........ ...

Punctuation Help. Please See Message.
Jun 08, 2010

Is the punctuation correct in this sentence:  The patient is a 30-year-old, never married, unemployed white male. I'm wondering if there should be a comma between unemployed and white.  Thanks! ...

Word Help, See Message
Jul 15, 2010

Here is the sentence. I cannot make out the word between mucin and into.   There was just a single slide that demonstrated mucin  (sounds like dissect)   into the deep submucosa. ...

S/l 'goomba' - Please See Message
Jul 30, 2010

There is some left lung nodularity now which appears to be new, although she had a little bit in the past.  At least one of those is going to be positive.  We went over the ____________ (s/l 'goomba') which is about 3 cm. in her chest wall, which is excisable if we want to do that.  Thank you in advance for helping! ...

Message To Transcend
Aug 18, 2010

I would like to know why MTSOs, specifically Transcend,  post ads when they don't bother to contact the qualified people who apply.  They make you jump through the questionnaire and written test hoops and then ignore.   What a waste of time.   ...

Can Anybody Tell Me What The Message From CEO Peter
Oct 22, 2010

says?  I just hear corporate mumbo-jumbo.  We going to have a job, not have a job, work for C-Bay, work for MedQuist still?  I am so confused (which I am sure was the intent). ...

Cardiology... Please See Message...TIA
Oct 26, 2010

The doctor is a heart transplant doctor and is dictating a referral letter for a fellow.  He says:  He will often come in even when he is not on inpatient rotation to assess some of our sicker patients; for instance, some who have s/l "empower" devices and/or "tandem" hearts.    TIA ...

Med S/l LIOPINE? See Message
Dec 02, 2010

Med listed in H&P as current meds.  Past md hx includes hypertension, PTSD, and status post pancreatic cancer.  Can anyone help?  Thx. ...

2-O Esobon Tie? Please See Message...
Jan 06, 2011

The doc is dictating notes on a pacemaker implantation and says "Therefore, the existing ventricular lead was anchored in position with a s/l 2 O (letter O) esibon tie."  TIA ...

Orthopedic... Please See Message
Jan 25, 2011

The doc is saying "She has a negative FABER(s)."  Should it be FABER or FABER's?  Also, is there such a thing as a "cool" effusion?  The doc is saying the patient has a "small s/l cool effusion in the right knee." Thanks so much. ...