A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Think about this before taking MM coding - Frustrated MT

Posted: Mar 12, 2014

If you think the offer from MMoral to become a coder sounds good, think again. If you start the program and don't finish, you have to pay MM for the full cost of training, and no mention was made of how much that is. If you decide to leave MM for a coding job elsewhere, you probably won't even be considered for a job with decent pay because you didn't train through AHIMA and you will have to pay MM for your worthless training if you leave before 2 years. Lastly, if Obamacare ends up bankrupting insurance companies, this country will become a one payer insurance country like Canada and Australia, and coders will only be used for statistics, meaning there will be a lot of coders out of jobs like MTs are now. I know several coders and they are worrying about the future of their careers.

WAIT, huh? - chillywinter

[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, this place is gonna be around for 24 more months? Secondly, the number of codes is going to increase from 13,000 to over 100,000 and they are going to teach this in 3 months??? Thank goodness they are only asking for a 95% accuracy rate and not 99.7%!!!

You live in a very scary world. - me

[ In Reply To ..]
It's not all bad.

you will be qualified to sit for at - least the CPC

[ In Reply To ..]
and possibly for the CCS. Nowhere is it written that you have to "train through AHIMA." So much for your "worthless training" idea.

Certain criteria have to be met to sit for the CCS - coding student

[ In Reply To ..]
Please refer to AHIMAs website.

No schooling required. For example, you can get your CCA, then - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
after 1 year of experience, you can sit for your CCS. There are multiple routes for the various certifications, but it can be done without taking any classes, much less being required to take only certain classes from certain schools.
But can you pass the CPC-A with no schooling? - coding student
[ In Reply To ..]
Doubtful.
yes - you learn on the job
[ In Reply To ..]
You either take classes or you learn on the job, during your apprenticeship, and when you have enough knowledge of the subject you take the test and get certified.
You learn on the job using coding assisted software and encoders - student
[ In Reply To ..]
When you are taking your certification exams, you get none of that. I'm not trying to discourage anyone -- find out first what your education will be. Also of note, the CCA is a totally worthless credential that will get you nowhere.
then they can get the - CPC
[ In Reply To ..]
what is the big problem?
The problem is . . . - coding student
[ In Reply To ..]
No one is telling these employees what level of education will be achieved after they put in all of this "intense" training. If I was going to sink all of my time into something, I would want to know what I was going to get out of it. People's time is more valuable than that. Coder certification is harder than you make it out to be.
well my friend on the coding board - says
[ In Reply To ..]
and I hope she won't mind if I quote her here:

"Since your certification is a requirement for MM,MM's training program has to be enough that you can pass a certification exam, which will likely be the CPC."

If you don't like that answer I guess take it up with her over there.
Who says it will be a requirement? - student
[ In Reply To ..]
That is the first time I have heard that every coder will require to be certified. They can say they have certified coders, but that doesn't mean every coder is certified. I'm not trying to argue with anyone . . . I'm trying to help answer people's questions. I'm already working in coding, so it isn't anything to me if you believe me or not.
well MModal - says it
[ In Reply To ..]
They say that their coders are AHIMA and/or AAPC credentialed. But of course now everyone is just going to say that they are lying here and I can't do anything about that.
It's pretty much full time on the job training - what school offers that?
[ In Reply To ..]
That would be none.

3 months of training, up to 3 months of apprenticeship and 2 years of on the job training. I would venture to guess that passing a certification test won't be all that difficult after all of that.

Key information is missing in this insane diatribe against MModal doing this coding program. No one yet knows whether you will have to be certified (I would suspect you will have to take the test and pass). No one knows ANYTHING yet. No one WILL know anything until March 24th when the first orientation is finished.

So you can't answer questions that cannot even be asked yet.
They are going to get a coding job with MModal - out of it. Questions?
[ In Reply To ..]
So you see, they do indeed know what comes at the end of the rainbow.

Do those coming out of another coding program know that much?

I don't see how this is skin off anyone else's nose who chooses not to or to participate in this program.

Yes, the question is . . . - student
[ In Reply To ..]
Is this a step up for the transcriptionists who have been treated poorly by MModal? Is this a way they can better themselves, or is this just another way to further shackle them to a company who has wronged them before. I HOPE that every coder who does this will be able to be certified, but their website does not say that. It says they have AHIMA and CPC coders, not that every coder is one. I don't have a dog in the fight -- I'm working in coding and not for MModal. But I do hear what these transcriptionists are saying and I understand. They aren't crazy. If anyone has any questions for me that actually are respectful, I'll be over at the coding board.
yes, you know why don't you do that, student? - go back to the coding board
[ In Reply To ..]
because as you said this is not your fight, and anyway you're a student. If someone works for 2 years as a coder and still can't pass that certification exam, then I guess they shouldn't have gone into coding.
Not being disrespectful. You don't work for - MModal, so ...
[ In Reply To ..]
you don't actually know what you are talking about here.

Actually, no one really knows, as the information available thus far is limited. People are barely taking the first test just to get in.

Perhaps the wise course of action would be to reserve judgement until all of the facts are available.
Most employers do not accept coders with the CCA - coding student
[ In Reply To ..]
It is essentially a worthless credential.

I kind of have to say so what to all of this. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Your MT experience won't magically disappear if you take this training. You can always go back to that. For goodness sakes, it is 3-6 months, not exactly a massive commitment. So you have to work as a coder at MModal for 2 years. Big deal, that is 2 years of work experience and coders all over are saying they are having trouble getting that first coding job. In this case MModal is handing it to you.

Gaining more education in anything is never a waste of time.

Maybe coding jobs will go away, maybe MT will go away. Maybe, maybe, maybe.

Life is full of maybe and risks. This coding program is an opportunity and MAYBE it will be great and MAYBE it will end up worthless. Maybe it won't train you well enough to sit for tests. Oh well. It will be job experience, which is often considered over education in the real world.

So you hate MModal, that is your prerogative. But my response to all of this negativity is, SO WHAT.

Similar Messages:

Thinking Of Taking A Coding Course
Jun 02, 2015

I am thinking of taking a medical coding course.  I am a medical transcriptionist and have been for five years.  The company I work for now lost mostly all our accounts to another company. I still have work but not sure what is going to happen. I looked at some schools.  I see Penn-Foster, Andrews, and Career Step. Penn Foster is the least expensive.  My question is would I be able to get a job after I finish the course and is the salary good. i am sure it is better then med ...

Hired For Coding/billing/transcription, But Told No Coding
Aug 13, 2013

Accepted a job, gave 2 weeks notice, and yesterday was my first day.  I was to be helping out transcription (1000 jobs behind), and then sitting with billing and training with coding as their coder will be out on maternity leave in December.  The office is adding another surgeon, and they are rapidly expanding.  So I gave a proper 2 weeks' notice to my former employer (2 hours on the road there and back, low salary - now less than half distance and $3 more an hour) and starte ...

Why Are We Taking This?
Jun 18, 2012

What the heck is going on here? We're being bought out and paid less than the people cleaning the toilets at the "corportate" offices of the big-three companies. We're scraping by to make one-third of what we used to make. Why? Do you actually believe these companies are charging the hospitals less? We're the only ones getting paid less, and less, and less. The hospitals are getting crappy reports, something they're told can't be helped; there's no other alternat ...

Could They Be Taking Even More Pay
Mar 07, 2014

I checked my pay stubs and, granted, I still was getting production bonus 5-6 months ago, but my pay has decreased so much, like $400-500. Sometimes I wonder what all those "delays" with "uploading the lines" are. Honestly, this company has made me literally into a minimum wage worker. Thanks a lot, Nuance, you will soon get your wish and I will have to subsidize my income with food stamps at this rate. I guess that is your objective, more profits for you, spread the poverty so our taxes are ma ...

Certification In Coding Or AA Degree In Coding??
May 11, 2010

Is there really such a thing as an AA degree in coding?  Sounds odd to me.  Health administration or management, or RHIT I can see, but coding? Is it not better to just become Certified even if you dont have an AA degree? ...

Coding School - Fate Of Coding Due To EMR
Apr 10, 2012

Wondering if there are any coders out there who can give me an idea of the fate of coding due to the EMR. Are there still coding jobs out there? Would it be wise to attend school for coding at this point or do you think it will be lost to the EMR eventually? I live in a rural area and there are advertisements for registered/accredited coders at medical facilities, but I'm afraid of spending all that time and money on schooling only to not be able to find a job. Any information/insight w ...

Coding :: Thinking About Changing From MT To Coding
Oct 07, 2013

I am thinking about changing from MT to coding.  Are there many opportunities to work from home with coding?  What would be a good school to attend? Thank you for the help. ...

Do I Need To Take An Actual Coding Course To Learn Coding?
Feb 26, 2014

My sister is taking an online coding course and complains that there is no real "teaching," that she's basically just doing the work in the work book and entering answers online, then taking an online chapter test.  This makes me wonder about the necessity of signing up for an actual course.  I would like to learn how to code, but to me, without any actual instruction, what's the purpose of signing up for one of these online courses? ...

Coding :: Age Restriction On New Coding Students?
Apr 15, 2014

Anyone know if MM has an age restriction on new coding students? ...

Which Coding Workbook Does Your Coding Program Use
May 20, 2014

Thanks for your response.  ...

Wow. I Was Taking A Peek Over Here
Mar 10, 2010

to see what Medquist was looking like.  Looks just about like Spheris to me, possibly a little worse.  Can anyone say what they are paying per line ASR and regular transcription for a mid-level account?  Clinic account?  Not sure it is worth the bother to stick around for this change. ...

Taking More Than 1 Offer
Mar 15, 2010

I have 2 job offers from 2 different companies, but both of these companies are fairly large and have multiple posts with complaints that there is just not enough work for everyone. Would it be possible to take both offers, on the chance that if one doesn't have work the other will? I might be kinda screwed if they both have a lot of work, but it might be worth it to see how both will work out without closing any doors. Has anyone done this before? Is it possible to run 2 companies differen ...

Taking A Poll
Sep 01, 2010

If you get NJA on a very regular basis, reply with what state you are in.  Apparently, some states require pay for downtime, CA I believe being one of them.  I'm not sure of the other states.  Obviously, work can be routed to or away from us at will, and I have a feeling they are choosing MTs from the states that mandate downtime pay over states that don't. ...

Has Anyone Taking The AAPC Course?
Jan 05, 2011

I cannot afford the money to go to a college, so I was wondering how good the AAPC course is.  HAs anyone taken it?  What did you think? ...

Taking The Plunge
Feb 20, 2011

After having been an MT for over half of my life and constantly reading these forums and realizing the shortcomings we are all facing in this industry, I'm taking the plunge. Yesterday my husband and I bought 2 domain names, ordered 500 business cards, my husband is researching MT salaries nationwide, and we're going to start our own MTSO.  An MTSO run by HUMAN BEINGS for HUMAN BEINGS.  A small one, we're looking at probably 20 or less ICs to ensure ample work for every ...

Hey Everyone! I Am Currently Taking A Health
Oct 04, 2011

My teacher IS a lawyer.  Any questions I should ask him??? Just read the post below about the old grandfathered.  I am a grandfathered employee, but what is "new" grandfathered employee.  I had ONE interview back in 1990 and here I am today.  Been bought, merged, and aquired with name changes to finally, Medquist and soon, we will probably getting a new name again after all the acquisitions.  It seems our company is probably run by a lot of lawyers who know how to handle ...

Thank You Moderators For Taking My
Jul 24, 2012

suggestion and putting it to use.  I can only hope these places will realize what we are disliking!! ...

Taking The Plunge.
Nov 03, 2012

I've decided I will go through Andrews school for coding. All that I have to do now is wait until Monday to sign up and enroll. I am so excited!! I was wondering if anyone who has gone though or is currently in the coding course through Andrews could give me some advice. I am currently a medical transcriptionist,so I have medical language behind me...but that is about all. Any study tips or anything else for that matter would be well appreciated. Thanks. ...

Okay, Taking A Little Poll
Dec 05, 2012

Some have been trying for over 7 years to change things and things haven't changed. Okay.  Those of you who are quite certain you want to try to change things, how long have you been doing it?  And how much longer are you going to do it? I guess we who have been speaking up for 7 years have been doing it all wrong? ...

Just An FYI To Everyone About The New Taking Time Off
Dec 03, 2013

without pay we were given (13 days). If you use this for NJA you will forfeit an entire day of the time off without pay, even if it's just 1 hour. The days off are not hourly. They are daily, so if you had 1 hour left in your shift and had NJA and took the time off without pay, 1 entire day of your time off without pay would be used. Looks like MM screwed us again. ...

PTO/Taking Days Off
Apr 03, 2014

Has anyone read the rule book here? I tried to once but couldnt read through my tears! I believe I was told we can't take days off unless we have the PTO to cover it? This is going to be a problem. I have some important days coming up for my 18 year old daughter with autism, a meeting at school and an awards ceremony and some other things. This would use up the measly PTO hours I have and I would have nothing left to take days off this summer, like my birthday. Does anyone else take da ...

Taking Bets On OTI
Sep 02, 2014

How many wanna bet the important call is to tell us they have sold out? ...

Just Love Taking On A New Job That Has No
Feb 02, 2015

I just don't get it. ...

Taking Pay Off For Errors.
Mar 02, 2015

..so is taking pay off for errors the norm or just the screwy company I work for.  :P ...

* Imedx Also Let's Us Know Who Is Taking Day Off
Apr 08, 2015

Okay, we know we cannot change our personal information that is public on Office365. Simply double click on the image area of any contact and presto, home address, etc.  Try to change your own and be instantly denied.  But do you know for months that you can go into Exponent, go to Time Reporting, then Additional Options, and click on "View Other Employee Leave" ?? Cute, I have seen this list of full names go from 60 to 31 in a few weeks, not to mention why do we have access to these ...

It's Taking Me 12-16 Hours/day To Get In 8!
Apr 17, 2015

This means I'm sitting at my desk for 60-80 hours/week waiting for work. Is this happening to anyone else? Is this the new norm?  ...

WHO SAYS QC IS NOT TAKING REPORTS FROM MT?
Jun 01, 2015

Two QC are taking my reports and typing them. ...

Taking Business From India
Nov 23, 2009

Went to another site and there are tons of positions with other companies in India.  Has anyone thought about turning the tables and working for them?  Just curious.  I mean, its still basically our work.  ...

Taking A Poll: What Would You Do If MQ Decides To
Dec 17, 2009

What would you (if you are MT/ME) if MQ decides to make us all MMEs?  I read a post previously that hinted at this. ...

Test Taking Question
Jan 29, 2010

Hi.. So I just received an email that I need to take a test in order to get my first job. They are telling me to use my FTP program to log on to the IP address.. I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this. I have filezilla and also express scribe. Are these the correct programs I should use? Where do I go on there to type in the IP address? Thank you.. Misty3720 ...