A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Been thinking about getting a laptop to be more mobile - drwriter

Posted: Sep 30, 2011

Been thinking about getting a laptop to be more mobile.  Any suggestions about type and special features would be appreciated.

Laptops - derp

[ In Reply To ..]
It totally depends upon what you want to do with it.

If all you want is email/facebook type stuff, look for one with an intel i3 processor, integrated graphics, and as big of a monitor as you prefer.

Acer has excellent prices on their machines, as well as Dell.

Keep in mind; laptop manufacturers like to keep models at certain "price points" and they will scrimp on one thing to get it down to that point. A good example: You could get a faster processor like an i5, but that machine might come with as little as 1GB of RAM and a puny 80GB hard drive.

Do you want to play games like World of Warcraft or something similar? Any computer that has integrated graphics are out; those graphics systems are not powerful enough to render games.

Thinking of running DQS on it? Either make sure that it is 32bit (and the intel i3/5/7 are 64bit) or run a 32bit version of Windows 7. I'm working on a "step by step" on how to run DQS6 on 64bit Win7, but if you want easy and simple, just do 32 bit.

laptop with DQS - drwriter

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks. That's exactly what I needed to know. I do want to run DQS on it and remembered someone saying about 32bit as opposed to 64 bit.

Similar Messages:

Looking For Laptop Suggestions. I Want To Be More Mobile
Mar 21, 2011

I'm wondering which laptop to buy, so I am looking for MT consumer reports!  I want a bigger screen, not one of those net books with tiny screens! ...

Mobile Internet
Sep 12, 2012

I am going to need mobile internet access to work. Sprint has a mobile hotspot for $50 a month that gives you 6 GB of data. I have no idea how many GB I use working. Has anyone ever used a hotspot for working and how did it turn out? Thanks ...

Mobile Transcription
Sep 28, 2012

Hello: I have been given the opportunity to travel with my husband.  I was wondering if there are other MT who travel with their spouses.  What internet connections do you use?   We are looking into Mobile Hot spots, but I am afraid that with the large / high volume account I have, we will run into usage overages.   Please let me know what you all think.   Thanks!  ...

Mobile Hotspots
Oct 20, 2013

I am jumping back into the workforce and need to work using a mobile hotspot, preferably a prepaid one. Does anyone work using a mobile hotspot and if so, which one and how much is it? Is it even possible to use a mobile hotspot for transcription being you need so much data? Thanks! Amy ...

Anyone Know Anything About Mobile Assistant Inc
Oct 07, 2014

Any info would be helpful. ...

Mobile Broadband Internet
Mar 30, 2011

Does anyone work from a mobile broadband internet?  Looking at land to build a home and that is only internet available through my cell phone, wireless modem - have always worked via cable - anyone know anything about this - maximum usage 5 GB a month. ...

Mobile Assistant US Transcription
Nov 08, 2011

Curious about a company by the name of US Transcription who also do Mobile Assistant. Has anyone ever heard of them or worked for them? ...

Mobile Assist Info
Apr 20, 2013

Was offered a job by this company but once they sent the email requesting all of my personal information, I felt uncomfortable sending my information to them. I know that is normal when you are hired for a position but the way they went about it, and the amount of information they required, copies of things, etc., plus wanting access to my computer immediately, but a work start date of more than a month away - made me just question sending my info to them, so I didn't.  ...

Mobile Assistant - Does Anyone Work?
Jan 22, 2014

Does anyone work as a Mobile Assistant?  I am wanting to find out approximate range of pay before applying. Thanks :) ...

Anyone Heard Of Mobile Assistant ?
Dec 02, 2014

Wondering if anyone has heard of or works for mobile assistant out of Wisconsin. Experiences? ...

Netzero Mobile Broadband -- Okay To Use?
Dec 06, 2014

I want to get off the Comcast merry-go-round. Will netzero mobile broadband be do-able? If not, can anyone suggest an alternative to using these big companies? Thanks very much. ...

REASONABLY PRICED MOBILE INTERNET DEVICE
Jun 11, 2010

I used to have a Verizon USB for my internet backup and to use on trips.  It was $60.00 a month.  Does any one know of a cheaper USB/air card internet service for traveling with my laptop and working?  Thanks. ...

Bose MIE2 Mobile Headset?
Jan 09, 2013

Wondering if anyone has tried these Bose headphones and if they are worth the price and if they really make a big difference.  Thinking of getting some.  My work will reimburse me for them if I get them from my account they have set up for us for stuff like that up to a certain amount but I still want to make sure it's worth it for that much.  I know Bose is a very good brand, as several years ago, we had a Bose stereo and the sound was so great.  Just wondering about th ...

Mobile Assistant Transcription Company
Mar 17, 2014

I sent a resume to several jobs from the MT Jobs search and was sent a test for this company.  Has anyone ever worked here before or is currently employed.  If so, could you tell me about them. ...

Mobile Assistant - Financial And Insurance Transcription?
Mar 26, 2013

Has anyone worked for Mobile Assistant, a company that has financial and insurance transcription? If so, what was your experience like with this company?  Thanks. ...

Mobile Assistant - Want Me To Update My Operating System To Windows 8
Aug 09, 2013

Hi, I am being offered a job at Mobile Assistant, but they want me to update my operating system to Windows 8 and I cannot afford this, but if they are worth it, I might consider.  Does anyone know anything about this company? are they worth it? P.S. I am in desparate need of a job. ...

New HP Laptop
Dec 31, 2009

Okay, I should have checked all this out before I bought a new computer, I know.  But I didn't and now I am paying for it. My company's software is not compatible with Windows 7 and that's what my new computer installed on it.  I have learned that I can take it to a local repair store and have the XP installed on it and the Word 2003, but then I found out from my employer's IT guy that a 64-bit computer is also not compatible.  Geesh!  Anything else I sho ...

Laptop Help
Jul 28, 2011

After being driven out of my house to a motel for 5 days last week due to the heat (94 degrees even with a small a/c, I think the time is here to get a laptop.  I discovered the motel does have internet access.  It's supposed to be 100 tomorrow. I need suggestions in choosing.  Since I have to have Windows XP, I'm limited to getting a refurb online.  There are lots out there, but mostly Dells, with widely varying models and prices.  I know I want something wit ...

Laptop MT?
Oct 31, 2011

I am sure I could use a laptop just as well as I could use a desktop.  I would like to travel more before things start getting really bad in America.  Plus I would like to visit family more often.  I was wondering if anyone out there works off of a laptop and how they liked it.  I was thinking I would get an external mouse and connect my keyboard so I can make production better.  Any ideas or suggestions?  I have to buy a new computer and I am debating whether I cou ...

Anyone Use A Laptop With A 10-key Pad?
Feb 07, 2012

My Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop died today so I need a replacement ASAP.  I'm writing this on my son's Toshiba Satellite, which has a 10-key pad that my Dell does not.  Is anyone using a laptop w/a 10-key pad?  Would you recommend it?  Thanks in advance. ...

Using Laptop
Sep 29, 2012

I know this is a dumb question, but can mmodal employees use a laptop instead of a regular puter? ...

Does Anyone Use A Laptop For Their Job?
Jan 29, 2013

Just wondering if anyone uses a laptop to do their transcription, or if most people just use a desk top computer. ...

Laptop?
Apr 17, 2013

Duh. ...

What Laptop Do You Use?
Aug 21, 2013

I am thinking of leaving the comfort of my PC and switching to a laptop so I can do a little traveling.  Any tips or suggestions on specs? ...

Need A New Laptop
Oct 04, 2014

Hi, I am looking for recommendations on a  laptop.  It will be a gift (not from my husband) but from a relative.  I would like one with word processing but I am happy to download open office.  I will mainly use the laptop for internet and I would like to get a wireless printer at some time.  I know there is a Google type of laptop where nothing is actually stored.  Some folks say it is better to get a regular laptop.  I wouldn't be opposed to getting a re ...

Laptop
Feb 14, 2015

Does anybody transcribe from a laptop?  Thinking about trying that.     ...

Laptop For Transcription?
Oct 23, 2009

Can you use a laptop to do medical transcription if a different keyboard can be attached?  Just wondering. ...

Footpedal Is Able To Be Used With A Laptop?
Oct 24, 2009

Does anyone know if a footpedal is able to be used with a laptop? Thanks. ...

Laptop Question
Nov 12, 2009

If I want to travel with my lap top around the holidays to get some work in, do I need an air card in order to have a secure internet connection?  TIA. ...

Laptop Or Desktop
Dec 31, 2009

I am considering getting a new computer in the next few months.   Trying to decide between laptop and desktop?  Can you really make speed on the laptop keyboard?  Opinions?  TIA ...