A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What type of information do you put in your cover letters? (sm) - anon

Posted: Feb 11, 2011

I generally introduce myself with my name, state how long I have been a MT and just a very short overview of my experience, as well as position I am seeking, IC, for instance.  My cover letter is only 5 lines.  Is this the norm for everyone else?  When I first typed my cover letter I did some research and it stated to make the letter as short as possible and to highlight your "strong" points. 

Just curious ... thanks for any opinions, advice, etc.

I put, "Please hire me. Please, please hire me." - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I think what you are already doing is great! (nm) - (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
zsdf

Try to put yourself in their shoes, what would you want to know? - Daisy

[ In Reply To ..]
Keeping it short and sweet is a good thing, they get lots of replies. They want to know how long you've been an MT of course so that would be first.

But any other info that tells what kind of worker you are would be good too. What is your best quality? Are you the type to put in extra lines if they need help? Are you reliable in working your shifts? Are you good with book of style? Have a good memory? Good at sticking to your account specs?

Don't say something that you are not, you want to make sure the job is a good fit for you after all, but telling your best quality might make you stand out about the crowd if it is the quality that they happen to value most!

Your cover letter - just read something interesting - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to teach several Voc. Ed. classes and part of my curriculum was how to get a job after you get your training. I always said, your cover letter sells you. Don't make it really long but it can be longer than 5 lines.

Your resume tells them about your skills and experience, so your cover letter needs to sell YOU. An article I just read "How to get a job in these downtimes" said you need to tell them what YOU can do for them. So you could give them things like, I have an excellent attendance record, I developed a method to ......., I implemented an incentive program to save the department money, etc. In other words you want to tell them why they could really benefit from hiring YOU! Leave all the "I have xxx years experience, type....wpm, know 15 different software platforms (they just want you to know or be able to learn theirs). I think you get the picture. Sell, sell, sell yourself and show them why you would be the best person for the position.

Cover letters used to say "I would bring to this position XXX years experience, can type XXX WPM, answer phones with my feet, drink coke and talk on the phone at the same time without spewing it all over my desk, etc. In other words it was all about "Me" and not about what you could do for "Them".

Cover letter - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
When I attended a workshop at the local unemployment office on resumes, etc - the literature they handed out stated the same exact things you mentioned about cover letters. You need to SELL yourself!!!! Explain in short version what you can do for them,as the resume states all your work history.

Actually, what you have is perfect...the rest of this info - mtmomto5

[ In Reply To ..]
is info (type of worker you are, your best quality, etc.) you would discuss in your interview, NOT in a cover letter. It should be a short introduction about you. My cover letter is about 4-5 lines too.

Similar Messages:

Silent Type - Any New Information?
Jul 26, 2012

Does anyone have any new information about Silent Type in New Jersey? Thanks! ...

Any Current Information On Silent Type
Nov 11, 2010

Any current information on ST?  I kow you have to go to N.J. but other than that, what's the scoop?   Thanks!! ...

Do You Have To Do Letters As An MT?
Oct 21, 2009

n ...

Would That TAA Thing Cover Something Like This?
Mar 27, 2010

The university down the street will be offering an undergraduate degree in Arabic.  It is one of only 3 offer in this country.  Now THAT ought to be useful.  Sometimes, if you already have an undergraduate degree, they let you skip the basics and finish in 2 yrs.  I would certainly consider that, especially since there appears to be no end in sight to our troubles with Arab-speaking countries. ...

What Exactly Is Liability Going To Cover An MT For? Sm
Sep 03, 2013

I've been hearing a lot about needing to possibly now have liability insurance but what are we being insured against? Liability for what? A mistake in the report? I've always been under the impression that the doctors are supposed to be reading their reports before signing and if they sign it with a mistake, that is THEIR responsibility. ...

Letters To Congress
Mar 27, 2015

Regarding pay, work conditions, etc., the only clear out of bounds complaints we have are 1)  Unpaid work.  The concept that we can do this 'on the clock' is a double whammy. You end up getting paid LESS than if you did it on your own time. I've clocked alll this unpaid work very conservatively.  It is 48-52 hours annually. Fair wage and labor standards in your state deals with that or you can form a strong coalition of MTs and find an employment attorney. The one I consulte ...

S/l Covet/cover? Osteotomy
Feb 08, 2011

"I do not know what kind of covert osteotomy was done." ...

Cover Letter Suggestions Please.
Jun 30, 2012

I am trying to write a cover letter for a job that was advertised in the newspaper.  The ad just says Medical Secretary, must have experience in the medical field.  It just gives a phone number.  When I called the number it gives a fax number.  I know for a fact that it is for Radiology by googling the #.  I have twenty years transcribing radiology.  Does anyone have any suggestions in what to include in my cover letter so it will stand out.  I have not worked ...

Looking For A Specific Keyboard Cover
Apr 27, 2015

Does anyone know of a company that sells custom covers for split keyboards?  I have a Goldtouch I got off of eBay a couple of months ago and I need a cover.  Sick of it getting dust bunnies.  TIA ...

Letters On Keyboard Wearing Off
Oct 12, 2009

Does anyone know where I can get a keyboard where the letters won't wear off and has to be USB. ...

Transcribing Letters Question
Jan 08, 2010

If you are transcribing a dictated letter from one physician to another in regards to a pt, wouldnt the date at the top of the letter be the date that you typed the letter?  It doesnt seem that it would be the date of service or is this a preference thing of a physican or transcription company which date you put up there?  ...

Do You Get Pain For Cc's On Notes And Letters?
Nov 21, 2011

s ...

Why Do A Lot Of Doctors Who Dictate Letters To
Jun 05, 2014

or sometimes even within the state don't bother to spell the doctor's name?  There are a million doctors on the account hospital list, and if it's anything unusual (most of the time), I go crazy trying to sound it out and looking for it. :p  Of course, if the doctor is out of state, 99% of the time it's not even listed.  I hate doing correspondence.  Was doing all operative reports before this for many years and liked that much better.   ...

Pt With Bronchitis. Gave Her A Z-Pak To Cover For S/l Atypicals
Nov 16, 2009

:-) ...

Dr Is Saying S/l Tijacillin Or Tichacillin To Cover ORSA
Dec 10, 2009

Any ideas.  It does not sound like he is saying ticarcillin which I did find googling.  Thx. ...

To Send A Cover Letter, That Is The Question
Mar 06, 2012

If a company says send a resume, do you automatically send a cover letter too, or skip it?  I'm old school and it seems wrong to not send a cover letter.  On the other hand, they are probably busy and don't have time to read it.  This company is not actively hiring, but they say they are always interested in qualified MTs.  TIA ...

Letters Wearing Off Keyboard...anyone Have A Solution?
Sep 07, 2010

Anyone had any luck with a white sharpie?  I've heard of those letter stickers but also hear they don't last.  TIA!! ...

Do You Use All Capital Letters For SCARF Osteotomy?
Apr 19, 2011

I have a dr. who consistently says all capital letters for that.  I always thought it was just scarf because it had to do with the type of incision. ...

MQ Offer Letters To AllType Employees
Sep 11, 2011

We were told we would receive offer letters by FedEx Friday or Saturday.  I have yet to see mine.  Anyone else still waiting?  ...

Am I The Only One Who Wears Letters Of Keys In No Time?
Mar 18, 2012

Usually I apply a coat of clear nail polish to the keys, but this time I forgot, and just since December I have already worn most the letters off my keyboard.  Spent most of the day on line trying to find another KB like the one I have.    Do any of you guys go through KBs like water???? ...

Initials D By/T By Author Different From Signature Letters
May 24, 2013

If a letter is dictated by one person on behalf of another (the "another" is the one signing the letter), what do I put for the initials at the end of the letter? ...

Eye Exam Cover Test Noted To Be S/l Autophoric.. TIA
Jun 01, 2011

autophoric?? Thanks.   ...

Does Nuance FT Insurance Cover Domestic Partners?
Jan 06, 2012

I'm a FT Webber and think I've heard something about this, but can't seem to find in the insurance info. Thank you! ...

The Future Of Coding The Cover Story Of For The Record Mag
Jan 28, 2012

Timely! Computer-aided coding and its impact upon the coding job market is the feature story of the just-released For The Record magazine. Some excerpts: "...From what I've heard from those hospitals for years now is that it's not that they need fewer coders."  Instead, Bronnert sees coders being used more effectively and at a higher skill level.  "They become even more valuable to a facility.  I don't see their roles or positions diminishing at all.  I see ...

Mmodal's Insurance, UHC, Doesn't Cover DepoProvera Shots.
Jul 03, 2012

What a crock!!  My old insurance covered contraceptives for women.  On UHC's page, it says the new law requires they cover women's contraceptives August 1st.  You'd think they'd do it anyway because birth control is a heck of a lot cheaper than obstetrical care...  Ticks me off. ...

Accepted A Job Transcribing For Legal And Insurance Letters And Forms.
Mar 26, 2014

I applied for a job with a company and was hired.  The start pay is just okay, but increases as your line count increases and  I think this is a good way for me to get my foot in the door and experience with working with other types of transcription and jobs.  It is straight typing and involves insurance and legal matters and forms.  If anyone wants to know more about it, I will be happy to let you know.  I start in April.  ...

Has Anyone Heard Of "All Bat" It Sounds Like It Is An Artificial Skin Cover For Burns. NM
Oct 27, 2009

x ...

On Holter Monitor, Rare Premature"H O" Contractions. (sounds Like Letters)
Jun 09, 2010

On Holter monitor, there were rare premature ventricular contractions and rare premature s/l HO or EHO contractions.  ...

Nothing But Office Notes And Office Letters With No ADT Tonight And Last Night. A Recipe For Perfor
Mar 08, 2014

Numerous cc's not in the database which have to be added, address and all. Short reports, of course, that take 3x longer than the dictation time. Just shoot me now. I can't wait until I get a new job! Came close today - job lead was 1/2 day too late. :-( Hopefully the other person won't work out :-} ...

Is It Worth It To Send Out Letters Looking For More Work? Where To Look-big Clinics Or Small Clinics
Nov 07, 2012

Or is it even feasable right now to look for new clients? Any advice appreciated. Also, what's with this site?? Every time I try to post a message, I have to put in my info several times. ...