A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Need help setting up to get my own clients - Bluebird

Posted: Sep 23, 2014

20 years ago, like a lot of us, I worked at home typing dictations from cassettes on a typewriter!   Recently I was asked by a health care provider if I can do her dictation notes on her own program, using her own templates, send them to her printer from my computer, like is done with the national company I work for.  How do I do set this up in this day and age?  Can I download her program onto a thumb drive and put in my own computer?  How do I get her templates into my own computer.  And, lastly how can I get her dictation to me without having to physically drive and pick it up, go back to the stone ages, purchase cassettes, handheld transcriber, etc.  Thanking anyone in advance for any ideas, help, suggestions.

I don't do MT anymore, but I do transcribe - interviews for an acquaintance (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
of mine. I usually see her on the weekends, and when she has new dictation she just burns the sound files onto a CD which she hands me in person. It might be possible for your client to send the dictation files to you over the internet, as well.

After I finish transcribing the interviews, sending them back to the person I'm working for is easy. I actually do it two ways, per her request: I email her copy of the documents as a document file in Word, and I also put another copy in DropBox online in a DropBox file folder that we both share. I also keep a backup copy on my flash drive, just in case something happens to my computer.

I hope it works out for you! Good luck! :)

PS: I forgot to add that I use Express Scribe - with my foot pedal to do my work. (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
X

Response to OP - Might be too hard

[ In Reply To ..]
I know you didn't say this would be IC work, but it sounds like it. I personally feel like this is skirting the boundaries of what should be expected of an IC.

Essentially, you would have to have a license for the program she runs as well as the install files, your own login, access to it via a VPN to connect to their server remotely, and the ability to add remote printers.

So, pretty much unless they have an IT department that is willing to install all that stuff for you, it would be really hard for a layperson to do. Also, how is she going to get your the audio files. Remember that all electronic communications with PHI must by encrypted, too!

Similar Messages:

Setting Up A Server
Nov 26, 2009

Has anyone out there set up a server for your business? If so, how complicated was it, and is iit worth the investment?  I have about 10 MTs (small business).  I think this would save a lot of time and frustration if we had a server... Anyone who can share their opinions on this would be greatly appreciated. ...

Help With Windows Setting
Oct 13, 2010

I'm struggling with getting my "new" computer up and running.  Of course, it isn't a new computer, because we have to have Windows XP.  Grrrr. I can't figure out how to get my windows to open to full screen - or maybe 2/3 size like my old, now deceased, computer.  I get a small centered square no matter what program  I open, and have to maximize every time I open a window.  I've done it before, but have absolutely no recollection of how. ...

Quality Bar Setting
Mar 10, 2012

Just read an article in the AARP Bulletin that 1 in 7 Medicare patients died or were harmed by their hospital care and the number of patients who die each year from preventable hospital errors is equal to 4 full jumbo jets crashing EACH WEEK.  They can't figure out what to do about it.  Maybe auditing the employees like crazy and holding them to a 99% accuracy standard and cutting their pay 50% if they don't meet it like MMMMMModal/Q?  Sure seems to work for me :) ...

TTD - Setting It Straight
Jun 10, 2012

I used to work there for approx. a year or so, before it really went down the toilet. I believe that sheer GREED set it and that's when it went downhill. Although I no longer work there, I have kept contact with some pretty reliable people. There are "100s" who are on the books to work; however, they work when they want, IF they want - there is absolutely no consistency to schedule or hours or days, nothing. Thus, the need to have that many people; the HOPE that someone will be working ...

Setting Up Outlook Express
Feb 15, 2010

I need help setting up Outlook Express from scratch.  I need help with everything.  I guess I am really dumb. ...

Setting Up Clinic Account
Jun 07, 2011

I did transcription for a physician about 15 years ago (drove 20 miles to his office, picked up tapes and returned finished product 2-3 times a week).  He is unhappy with his current transcription service and wants me to do it again.  He uses a digital recorder now and I am not sure how to set things up so I can do it online or through email.  I would greatly appreciate any direction or advice in this area.  ...

Express Scribe Setting?
Oct 06, 2011

Hi I am using Express Scribe 5.24 and need to have the pedals set for rewind timing.. I mean the center pedal that when you release it will self rewind say 3 to 5 seconds   Cant find that, where might that be? ...

Which Setting Do You Have Your Audio Speed On?
Jan 16, 2014

I've always kept mine on 0.8 and thought it was perfect but turned it up yesterday to 1.0 and didn't really notice too much difference.  I like it right around there because I am able to hear every nuance of what is dictated and rarely miss any of the small details.  I read on a different thread that someone else kept theirs much faster so it got me curious what the "average" is.  Is mine ridiculously slow or are some of you just ridiculously fast?  :) ...

S/l J-mar 2 Setting (Dupuytren/hand Strength)
Jun 08, 2010

This patient has dupuytren disease and the doctor dictates the following: His strength in the right is 50 and 50 by s/l j-mar 1 setting.    Any ideas???  ...

Is There A Way To Change The Setting On The Auto Save?
Sep 08, 2010

I think that is one thing that is slowing my computer down.  I notice it gets real sluggish and then the "Auto Save" flases in the bottom tool bar.  ...

Well They Are Setting Us Up For The Next Pay Cut. Classes On Improving Our Keystrokes While Doing A
Nov 04, 2010

nm ...

Do We Have Any Experts On Setting Macros In Word? Sm
Nov 13, 2010

My account has capped and bolded headings.  For some reason, VR NEVER bolds.  I guess it isn't capable of doing so!  Is there any way to set up a macro to bold like maybe all headings or bold words in caps or anything like that? Even bold from the : to the beginning of the line maybe? I can't seem to figure out how to set this up.  There used to be a webpage for help with macros and shortcuts but I don't recall what it was.  Does anyone know what I am tal ...

Setting Up Jump Points In Word And IT
Apr 03, 2012

I need to set up jump points in a document in Word 2003 but do not know how. In other words, I want to replace a jump point or marker like @@ with text in an Instant Text entry. Anyone know how to do this? ...

Where To Locate The Foot Pedal Setting On My Computer
Mar 31, 2013

Could someone please tell me where to locate the foot pedal setting on my computer when I want to change what type of pedal I am using?  I haven't done it in so long I can't remember where it is located.  Have been looking all day for it!!!!  Help, please.  Thank you. ...

Question Regarding Setting For Playing Voice Files
May 17, 2013

I am trying to do a transcription test and the company I used to work for changed my computer setup and I can no longer use Express Scribe to play voice files using my foot pedal.  Does anyone know where the settings are to make it play voice files once they are on Express Scribe and where on my computer do I check to see what the foot pedal setting is?  I have been trying to fix this so I can get through the transcription test and hopefully MAYBE ACTUALLY GET A JOB?&nbs ...

For Those With Your Own Clients...
Jul 27, 2011

I am wondering when you started soliciting clients if you already had a platform in place or did you wait to see what the potential clients were already using.  I want to start trying to get my own accounts as there have been a lot of practices open up near me recently, but not sure of the steps to take in the beginning.  I am thinking of using Emdat Inscribe as I am already familar with it, but not sure if that is something I need to set up first or is that a waste if the cl ...

? For MTs With Their Own Clients
Sep 22, 2013

Just wondering, for those MTs who do now or in the past have had their own clients...if you had dictators whose dictation style was extremely fast, haphazard or overall just terrible to understand, would you ever contact them and ask that they slow down or clean it up a little? Am curious if you felt you had a right to request decent dictations to work with when you were your own boss. ...

Finding Own Clients PLEASE HELP
Oct 21, 2009

Hi Everyone, Right now the company I work for hardly has any work.  I am thinking about sending out a letter to local clinics and also maybe putting out an ad on craigslist for transcription work.  Have you tried this?  I have questions:   What things do I have to consider? How do I charge people (I know I can do line count in INstantText and figure out line count and cost)-is 10 CPL a good place to start?  Are there other costs I need to factor in?  How about tax ...

Ever Wonder What Clients Would Think About Doing Their Own Outsourcing?
Oct 26, 2010

Just thinking out loud here.  I know many practices probably do their own outsourcing to MTs at home. Why not more?  It must be cheaper for them with higher quality work, personalized service, etc.  Some hospitals even hire MTs to work from home rather than use an MTSO. How can we, as the MT community, reach more clients/practices.  Surely they have a liason in the office who handles the direction of their transcribed reports, in-house editing; someone who could do ...

Do You Think The Providers/clients Know?
May 17, 2011

I mean, I'm an IC, or whatever I'm called now since I'm doing VR.....there has been talk around the company that perhaps the providers don't even know their documents have been moved to VR.  In reality, I think that this might ring true!  Some of us have quit for ethical reasons, and I can say for certain my VR isn't getting any better with the ahhs and ands and everything else that seems to be in the dication that shouldn't be.  After all, the VR doe ...

Wanting To Get My Own Clients
Jan 08, 2012

I am wanting to start getting my own clients again (haven't done that since I picked up and delivered, printed, etc.!!!) but know nothing about the dictation portion of it.  How do you get an FTP site?  Where do you go to get the dictation set up and be able to transcribe it?  What other things do I need to do for that?  Help!  Thank you all :) ...

He Should Tell Those Happy Clients How Much They Pay Us.
Oct 15, 2012

x ...

Wanting My Own Clients
May 17, 2015

I am wanting to start my own MTSO and have my own clients.  I need someone who has done this already to be sort of a mentor for me.  If all you are going to say is "dont do it" or "it really sucks" or other stuff like that, please save it.  I just need advice on how to get started, who makes the decisions in clinics and offices, and so on...     Thanks in advance... MTdude ...

MQ Makes The Deals With The Clients. The MT
Mar 24, 2010

shouldn't be held responsible for what MQ says.  If MQ doesn't want the responsibility for correct reports, they shouldn't make the deals, instead of making deals and then underpaying MTs and putting all the responsibility on them.  All MQ is after is the money, not the responsibility that goes with making the money. ...

MTSO Rates For Clients
Oct 30, 2010

Anyone have an idea of what MTSO client rates run?  I'm thinking 18-22 cpl for acute care (depending on TAT) and 16-20 cents for clinic (depending on TAT).  Do you think these rates are totally outrageous or about in the ballpark?  ...

Recent Calls From Clients, Etc.
Jul 26, 2012

This post is in regard to posts I have seen lately on this board regarding dictators. They actually do care or must feel they need to address situations that I bring to their attention. A call regarding flags from the physician himself. He is realizing how much time I am spending locating certain info not dictated. He tells me officially that the facility is to handle that now so as not to take up my time. A call from a dictator today, stating as he made so many errors and redictations on the ...

How Much Are MTSO's Charging Their Clients
Oct 30, 2012

Just how much profit are they making.  I have no clue, 17 years ago it was 14-cents a line for a 50 character line.  Or maybe somebody can give me a site where I can look it up myself.  Thanks ...

I'm Preparing A Brochure To Try To Get My Own Clients..
Nov 28, 2012

This is the first time I've done this, and I'd like to offer a free trial. However, I can't do too much as I'm still working for an MTSO. Any suggestions on what would be a reasonable amount of work to do for free?  Not sure if I should say something like maximum 10 letters, or maybe 1, 2, 3, days average work. I think the trial would be of mutual benefit.  I'd get an idea of how difficult their work is and they could see the quality of my work.  Would ...

Advice About Seeking New Clients
Mar 18, 2013

I am looking for info regarding how MTSOs out there obtained their clients. Are there any websites that advertise vendors or is general marketing strategies the best way to go? I am starting out on my own and just wanted to ask a little advice. Thank you! ...

What Software Do I Need In Order To Get A Few Clients Of My Own?
Jun 20, 2013

I was just wondering if I wanted to acquire a few clients on my own, what type of software do I need besides something like Express Scribe?  Those of you who have your own accounts, what do you use?   Thank you :) ...