A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MTEC is closed - FedUp

Posted: May 08, 2014

Their last day was May 5.  It looks like they're closing down services to grads, too, something I thought would never go away.  In my mind, there is no doubt transcription is a sinking ship. 

Another school should stop teaching transcription - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Andrews should stop teaching medical transcription. There's no reason to teach it to anyone anymore. I'm actually disappointed that Andrews, which is a good school, still takes people's money to teach them a dying field.

Our local community college pulled it 2 years ago. - ETOHPRN

[ In Reply To ..]
You know what high schools and community colleges around me are starting to add to their curriculum? Gardening and homesteading-type courses! So amazingly awesomely weird to see but true! Times, they are a changin'.

Yep. My tech college dropped MT back in 2012 or maybe even before - bye bye MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I should've listened to my instructor when she advised me to be an in-house MT and not work at home, which is what I've been doing since day 1 as an MT. I wanted to be home. And now I am. I could die!
Being in-house would not have helped you - see msg
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not sure that being an in-house would have helped you. The majority of hospitals outsourced to the M and N-type places years and years ago--M and N-type places would not have even been in business if not for the hospital accounts.

I think you would have been toast anyway, so don't beat yourself up over that one.

I left MT completely 2 yrs ago.
It would have helped in the sense - that she could
[ In Reply To ..]
Have at least made the money back she spent going to school plus much, much more. I worked for a hospital 10 years before being outsourced 2 yrs ago and it was worth every dime. I made good money & lived well. The last 6 yrs before the outsourcing, we all worked from home.

I no longer work as an MT, because I the drastic cut in pay working for MTSOs was awful, so I found another job.

Similar Messages:

MTEC Closed
May 06, 2014

I graduated from there 3 years ago.  Gave up on a MT career but still get their employment opportunity emails.  The one today said they're closed.  News to me.  Anyone know why?  ...

Anybody Here At MTec Right Now?
Sep 01, 2010

My instructor resigned (and she was my 2nd one and I loved her).  I heard in my study group another instructor was let go.  Now the cmopany (Webmedx) that owns Mtec is letting MTs go.  I am seriously worried.  Are we going to be able to get through our course?  Will there be any jobs?  I feel sick.     ...

Does Anyone If Mtec Updated Their Cds
Jun 23, 2012

Hi all. This is for anyone who's graduated from the M-Tec program recently or knows anything about M-Tec. Do they still have the same SUM transcription audios? I'm hoping they updated that part of their curriculum, and would like to know if that's been done yet. thank you. ...

More And Positive Changes Happening With MTEC
Mar 10, 2010

Starting immediately, the 9 month program will be a 12 month program. (The reason why they shortened the program at all was to apply for national accrediation which would allow students to apply for grants.) Starting April 1st, no retakes on tests, and we will now be grading all the advanced reports that you are currently doing for review. There is also a failure to progress policy which states that a student must submit 50% of the work for the month or be put on academic probation. If they d ...

Are Andrews, MTec And CareerStep Still Considered The Top 3?
Dec 28, 2011

Just a general question and it seems that these are the top three as far as offering the best education and preparedness for certification.  Enrolling has me a bit nervous, so I want to make sure I'm getting my money's (and time's) worth. TIA!!! ...

Why Do Topics Disappear? Looking For Discussion From A Day Or So Ago About Webmedx/MTEC
Mar 12, 2010

There was a discussion started a couple days ago discussing MTEC and the relationship with Webmedx that was interesting, and I can not find it anywhere. Any ideas where it went off to, and if it disappeared, why?!? Thanks!! ...

MTEC Student Seeking Graduation/job Search Advise
Mar 04, 2011

Hi MT stars:  I am a student approaching graudation in June.  As I get to the close of my education, I want to seek expert direction in the way I should go to ensure success.  Can anyone please help and guide me in the way I should go? 1)  Should I take the CMT course offered to enhance my resume, not to mention my skills?  When should I take it, i.e., after I finish the education, or in the last session or other? 2)  When should I start seeking for my employment, ...

Nuance Acquires Webmedx And MTEC--press Release
Jul 14, 2011

http://www.nuance.com/company/news-room/press-releases/NC_017438 It's a sad day.    ...

MT To Closed Captioning?
Jul 27, 2010

I have been doing some research on closed captioning and CART jobs/career. I searched the archives here, also. Does anyone know, however, if one needs to be a court reporter in order to learn the above jobs?  I'm wondering if one can learn stenography, etc., in some type of program without going through the entire curriculum of court reporting. Thanks! ...

Closed Captioning
Mar 29, 2015

Hey all, just a thought - if you're all tired of these transcription companies, it seems that closed captioning/court reporting out of your home is the way to go. I recently checked into this and it is very lucrative and you don't have to deal with outsourcing, low pay, all the "fun stuff" that medical transcription has to NOT offer. And, if you have a medical background, you get paid more as we are in high demand and would mean more pay. Again, just a thought and am definitely excited ...

Closed With 2-0 Nylon Suture Followed By
Dec 04, 2011

nm ...

Does Anyone One Know Any Companies That Do Closed Captioning?
Apr 04, 2014

I see some listed online but not sure what's legit.  Want to branch out from MT work. TIA. ...

The Tax Loopholes HAVE BEEN CLOSED Effective 2011!!
Aug 26, 2010

The bill has finally passed.  It is not illegal for companies to offshore, it is just not so profitable for them to do so.   ...

Closed Book Ortho Exam
Sep 04, 2011

I thought I had found a reference indicating a "closed-book" exam for SI joint pain.  Now I can't find it and I have been using it for a couple of weeks  and I don't know whether I found it or just thought I had found it.  Anybody familiar with it? ...

Closed-captioning With Speech-recognition
Jul 11, 2012

Hey guys, the other day I tested a software program called VoxcribeCC, it works well on videos. If you do closed captioning or subtitling, it really eases the task with its speech recognition and time stamping functions. Accuracy is pretty high. I think it is way more powerful than dragon  ...

Has Anyone Heard Anything About Typing Closed Captioning
Aug 29, 2014

Would that maybe be an option for those of us in need for work? That's not something I'd think would be going away and I remember hearing years ago that the pay was better than MT.  Though what's happened to that field in the years since, I have no clue.  I just can't imagine that every being outsourced. ...

Since The Window To Request Thanksgiving Has Closed
Oct 22, 2014

and the window to request Christmas is about to open, and the new rule our "scheduler" made up is that we can only take one of them, it would be nice if she would PROCESS THE THANKSGIVING REQUESTS SO WE KNOW IF WE CAN REQUEST CHRISTMAS OR NOT.    On a side note, since we can only take one of them, I suspect because she thinks it will make her job easier, that's going to throw way too many people working on completely dead holidays, which will lead to her having to fill out a ton ...

S/l Closed Tang Quads (some Type Of Exercise)
Mar 18, 2010

I have recommended that she start on a very vigorous exercise program including S/L closed tang quads and hip stabilizing exercises as well as walking and aerobic-type exercises.   tia.   ...

I Wonder If AHDI Could Be Closed And Reopened Structured As A Union
Sep 12, 2012

It would only work if we kept the skeleton of the organization, throughout anyone in any position of authority who has ever gone overseas or been part of sending work overseas. They would not be eligible to serve in any capacity. We would benefit from the albeit small membership still there and could build from that point. In a union, the members are the boss. If the leaders don't act in our interests, they will be gone. Why wouldn't that work? I think it would be too difficult to st ...

Getting References Is Hard When All The MTSOs I Worked For Are Closed
Mar 25, 2013

So I'm applying for a substitute position with my local school system and they want two professional references.  I don't want to ask the current MTSO I work for, nor the physicians in my private accounts.  I've worked for this MTSO for 5 years, a pretty significant length of time considering.  So I'm looking at my resume over the last 10 years and there are five companies closed/bought out. I have been in contact with a company I worked for from 1997 to 2003 ...

So.........corporate Offices Are Closed Today. Bet They Are Paid For It And NOT From Their PTO.
Jan 20, 2014

x ...

Codes, Coach, Closed Healing Which Is Not Going To Show Up On X-ray
Dec 09, 2014

Doing an orthopod Dr.  He says "At this point this is mostly (coach, codes, closed?) healing which is not going to show up on x-ray.  This is a 7-year-old boy with a left clavicle fracture.  Think it might be "closed".  Can't find coach or codes.  Any ideas if "closed" would be right? ...

Doctor Says "the Anterior (cease/seeze) Was Closed
Feb 15, 2010

Operative report, Doctor says "the anterior (cease/seeze) was closed  -PLEASE HELP!! ...

Patient With Closed Head Injury - S/P *athacy* And Seizure. Thanks. Nm
Mar 26, 2010

nm ...

Who Would Have Copy Of Medical Transcription Certificate School Closed
Apr 12, 2010

Hi, I need my transcription certificate from Tennessee Career College which I graduated from in 2006. The school is now closed and I have misplaced original certificate. Who would have a copy of that. The Dept of Education? Thanks Lesnbek ...

Neuro Eval For Headache. There Is No Pain On S/l Bal-ak-man Of The Eyes Through Closed Eyelids.
Oct 01, 2014

x ...

Sutures Were Closed In A "plee-uh-clothes" Technique
Jun 20, 2014

This is stent grafting surgery.  I personally think that it would be more appropriate to say sutures were placed (not closed), but it's verbatim.  Anyway, thanks for any help with the technique question. ...

S/l Fascia Closed In "SC Jones" Fashion - Nm
Mar 09, 2013

nm ...

"Star" Closed
Jun 03, 2011

Hello! :) I am doing an operative report, and I keep hearing a phrase that sounds like "star" closed .... Context: "Venogram of the right common femoral artery, right iliac artery, inferior vena cava and femoral vein, right iliac vein and inferior vena cava (star) closed on the left side." I have never heard of "star" closing anything! Any suggestions would be appreciated. :) ...