A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is the use of "deaf and dumb" even appropriate? - MTAJ

Posted: Sep 12, 2013

I have a doctor dictating "The patient is deaf and dumb".  Isn't this an old school saying?  It seems wrong for a doctor to be saying this but thought I'd see what others though. 

I feel about the same as a doctor saying - Karla

[ In Reply To ..]
pee. If it was my work we would have to leave in as is though.

If it is true, why would you question it? - and how

[ In Reply To ..]
would you know whether it was true or not? Do you know the patient? Why would you think you have the right to cover that up? If the patient cannot hear and cannot speak, then it is true and it is not your business to change it. It's not up to you to decide what should go into a patient's medical report.

My reason for asking... - MTAJ

[ In Reply To ..]
First off, I had actually never heard this phrase before which was my initial reason for questioning it. I did further research and according to what I read, this is a phrase that was used a long time ago and is not considered to be polite. It is an ESL doctor who has a lot of poor English tendencies. I decided to put a question in to my editor.

Many years ago, my mom worked delivering newspapers....sm - LoveMT

[ In Reply To ..]
We lived in a VERY small town, and she was the primary newspaper delivery lady for almost every person in town. There was a sweet little old couple who were both deaf and mute. My mom didn't know sign language, but she and this couple would communicate by writing things down on a piece of paper or a small chalkboard. I was only about 6 or 7 years old and would ride along with my mom after school when she went out to deliver the paper. Every single day, this couple would wait outside on their porch for her to come by, and she would take the time to stop, get out of the car, and go sit for a spell with them. In that day and age, many people referred to this couple as "deaf and dumb."

Even at such a young age, I thought it was kind of odd that they would be called "dumb" because they obvious weren't since they could read and write and communicate in that fashion with my mom and others. When I questioned my mom about why people called them "dumb", she told me that it was just the "old folks" way of saying deaf and mute and meaning that they couldn't hear or speak.

I agree that it does sound offensive, BUT I personally would not omit any part of what the physician dictated. If your account is "modified verbatim" then you might change it to "deaf and mute." However, if it is verbatim, then you should transcribe it exactly as it is dictated, regardless of whether it is politically correct or polite or whatever. :)

Your question just sparked that memory for me, and I thought I'd share it. :) Your dictating physician may be an older physician and his "poor English" may have been acquired from being around an much older generation who may still refer to those that are deaf and mute as "deaf and dumb."
Thanks for sharing - MTAJ
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for sharing your story. It was interesting to read and very cute. I actually don't have an "account" per se. I work for a healthcare orginization and the person I asked is allowed to make those calls/changes. Me and the docs I type for get our paychecks from the same place. The physician isn't old at all but she may have learned that saying and is using it in the old fashioned manner. In my 7 years of transcription, I have never heard that phrase so I just felt unsure about putting into a document. Our QA process is extremely strict and we get dings on so many things. When asking my editor what I should do andher giving me instruction, I now don't have to worry about getting marked on it. I appreciate the input here but I feel like a moron based on some of the comments left which is why I will probably not post here anymore. I do thank you for sharing your story. :)
Definitely not a moron.....sm - LoveMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I've been at this for a little over 17 years. When in doubt, never be afraid to ask. During my 1st year of transcribing in-house, I made a really obvious "newbie" mistake on a colonoscopy report, and the physician that dictated it actually came into our office and literally laughed in my face. He made me feel like an idiot in front of our entire office, made fun of me basically with the attitude like "how stupid can you be?" I NEVER forgot that, I swear. I can laugh about my mistake NOW, but I still think he was a bit of an ass to correct me the way he did. Some people just have no tact, even doctors. :)

Sounds like the people you work for are good people, and you did the right thing by asking your editor. You covered your rear, so to speak. She/he's the one who said to omit it, so they'll be the one to explain IF the physician questions it.

I am not lucky enough to work for a decent MTSO. I work for the big "N", so EVERY single thing we do is scrutinized ridiculously and unnecessarily most of the time. I've been sending a LOT of my documents with questions to our QC for review because of this.

I'm on my way out the door of MT very soon. My love for MT has been snuffed out completely by what has happened to me over the past year with this particular job.

I wish you the best and hope you continue to enjoy what you do. :) Oh and feel free to email me privately from here if you ever want to "pick a brain" and don't feel comfortable posting on a public forum.
Thanks again - MTAJ
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks again! I really do appreciate it. I know that if I would have left it and that document made it to QA, I would have got an FYI if anything but I would rather cover my rear for sure. She maybe didn't edit appropriately by leaving out mute but that's no longer on me.

I actually like doing what I do and I do work for a good company but I worry about my future in this field. I am hoping I can figure out a way to go to go back to school. I have had people ask me more about my job as they are curious about getting into it. I always tell them that I do not recommend it and why. I am lucky that my organization doesn't outsource or use voice regognition at this point but how long will that last?!
Really? - zz
[ In Reply To ..]
"Me and the docs I type for get our paychecks...."

Really?

I agree with you. "Deaf and dumb" should be - deaf and mute. Not "dumb"

[ In Reply To ..]
Apparently someone else who - thinks
[ In Reply To ..]
"dumb" in this context means "stupid." It does not. It means "unable to speak." Why change a word that is used properly in the context in which it appears?
NO. I am aware of what dumb means. - I am fluent in American Sign Language.
[ In Reply To ..]
Dumb is an outdated term that can be offensive in the signing community.

I never made the mistake of confusing it with dumb, as in stupid.
IMO, I would have put it in quotes - whatanass
[ In Reply To ..]
and let someone have a little talk with the doctor. what's next, saying queer in a report for gay people? Grow the F up doctor.
Not fluent - but can make do
[ In Reply To ..]
...and what is ASL for "deaf?"

Everyone I know who's deaf uses the 2-D sign.
look it up in a (real) dictionary - slang/literal/colloquial
[ In Reply To ..]
There's are lots of words that have different ways of being used--and they're not always demeaning.

IMO, no. But if HE said it that way, HE said it, no ME. - he is the author after all.

[ In Reply To ..]
You are just the mechanics of putting it on paper. Nothing you can do but let him look the ass and cringe when you hear the phrase.

Political correctness run amok once again. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

...and an overweening editor making inappropriate edits - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Thanks for making this my first and last post - MTAJ

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for a company/healthcare orginization that probably does things a little differently. I came here for advice and input and instead of that, I got ridiculed. I had always been shy to post here and I guess I have had good reason.
Just a little advice....sm - LoveMT
[ In Reply To ..]
You might need to thicken your skin a little. I'm not trying to be rude, but instead of running away from this board and the wealth of information you actually can gain from some very seasoned and experienced MTs, I'd suggest you ignore the snarky comments completely and use the other suggestions/advice to your advantage instead.

When one works from a remote location and doesn't have day-to-day human contact with other MTs, it can be very difficult to get help/advice/pointers, etc. Use this board as a resource and ignore the negative and/or posts that have nothing to contribute to what you are seeking. :)

I started out as a newbie MT in a hospital setting working alongside 4 other very experienced MTs, one of whom was a real b****, BUT she was also very knowledgeable, so I ignored her sarcasm and bad attitude and soaked up every bit of information I could gain from her in the 1-1/2 years I worked in house.

Once I decided to work from home, I realized just how glad I was that I'd had the time with these other experienced MTs to guide me in the very beginning. I never would've made it on my own working from home without having some kind of help, encouragement, advice, second pair of ears, etc.

I am still very good friends with 3 of the 4 ladies I worked with. Only one of them still works as an MT. She runs her own service, and there are times when I will pick up the phone and call her up to pick her brain about something work-related or just to chit-chat.

In other words, take what you can use from the advice you get here and leave the rest behind. :)
Thank you! - MTAJ
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you. I appreciate the advice and it sounds like excellent advice to me. I usually do have thick skin but I guess I wasn't expecting a few of the comments that I saw. They weren't even that bad but were simply unexpected.
Yes, this is definitely a thick-skin environment. - MTAJ, I disagree that "political correctness" is
[ In Reply To ..]
an issue here. You just weren't used to hearing the word used that relatively rare way (because the condition is mercifically rare here) and wondered about it.

Dumb is a valid synonym for mute, or vice versa.

Here's a link to a Lancet article that manages to use aphasic, dumb, and mute many times on one page. :)
apologies - changed post to read "editor" - nm
[ In Reply To ..]

3 of you think the editor was correct in - omitting information?

[ In Reply To ..]
unbelievable.
I don't think anyone thinks omitting was - appropriate.
[ In Reply To ..]
The issue is whether she should have changed "dumb" to "mute."

The editor was 100% wrong to omit that information completely.
I don't recall seeing anyone here agree that omitting was appropriate....NM - LoveMT
[ In Reply To ..]
NO MESSAGE
well, there were 3 dislikes to the inappropriate editing post - nm
[ In Reply To ..]

It's basic human kindness. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Kindness has nothing to do with it. - xx

[ In Reply To ..]
"Dumb" does not mean "stupid" in this phrase and it never has. It means "mute." There is nothing wrong with the phrase. The ignorance is on the part of people with limited educations who only know one definition of "dumb."
There *is* something wrong with the phrase. - My "limited education," as you put it
[ In Reply To ..]
happens to include extensive study in American Sign Language and the deaf and mute community. I'm very aware of the phrase "dumb" and its meaning in the two separate contexts. It is still a derogatory term.

I find it pretty ironic that you would imply that I'm ignorant and that I have a limited education.
you must be aware... - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, "dumb" can mean "mute." However, the term "deaf and dumb" was used at a time when the deaf were discriminated against in unbelievable ways. You probably wouldn't believe the stories of abuse and oppression this phrase entails. It has a history. I know of NO deaf person who would be accepting of being called "deaf and dumb."

"Mute" actually means cannot speak, with "selective mutism" being unwilling to speak. The deaf are able to speak, their voices work. Very few deaf people are mute. A deaf person who communicates in a signed language rather than speech is not mute. "Mute" is a separate medical condition.

So yes, historically, the actual meaning of "deaf and dumb" is "deaf and stupid." This doctor needs to be educated in this realm.

but we don't change dictated medical records for that. - just sayin NM

[ In Reply To ..]
He said it...so what?

Re: Political correctness comment - Just a gal

[ In Reply To ..]
You (any everyone else) should remember that you are but one accident or illness away from being a disabled person yourself. Perhaps you will not take such a cavalier attitude if it happens to you or a loved one. Please think about this.

we agree "dumb" is unkind, but the editor's omission is inappropriate - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
that's right. We don't edit for political correctness - that belongs to newspapers, magazines, etc. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
No, we don't "agree." :) Dumb means unable - to speak, for whatever reason. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

You are making the mistake of assuming - that

[ In Reply To ..]
the word "dumb" in the phrase means "stupid." It does not. Words can and do have different meanings depending on the context. In this context, "dumb" has always meant "unable to speak." So, because of ignorance, you are assuming that I am an insensitive, evil person for simply understanding what the phrase means in context.
In the signing community - "dumb" is an archaic term
[ In Reply To ..]
Being aware of that fact is the complete *opposite* of ignorance.
You mean in the cult of Gallaudet subset - of the
[ In Reply To ..]
signing community. They tend to be more intent on seeking offense where none is offered or intended than the more rational elements of that community.
No, I absolutely do not mean in the Gallaudet - community.
[ In Reply To ..]

My editor said to change to just deaf... - MTAJ

[ In Reply To ..]
as deaf and dumb is considered offensive and politically incorrect. I am sure case by case this could be different though.

well, your editor just compromised the note - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Your editor changed the meaning of the dictation by omitting that the patient could not speak. Deaf and dumb may not be the best idiom, but if the editor didn't like that, she should have recommended "doesn't speak." To summarily omit a finding is ignorant and inappropriate.

I agree, see my message above, but....sm - LoveMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I think if the editor thought the phrase should be recast in the sentence, she could have used "deaf and mute" Omitting dictation and changing the meaning is considered a critical error with just about any MTSO.
mute is a great idea - the point is to not omit findings - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
That's exactly what I said, "deaf and mute" if recasting the sentence, but omitting d - LoveMT
[ In Reply To ..]
NM
yes - I was agreeing with you! - : )
[ In Reply To ..]
MTAJ, you made a CRITICAL ERROR. Inexcusably - BAD judgment by your editor. Beware in future.nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
agree (I'm not the OP, though) - nm
[ In Reply To ..]

Not all deaf people can speak, you know. - Not good to leave it out.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

just deaf means she CAN speak, just cannot hear and editor - is so so wrong. holy cow.NM

[ In Reply To ..]
/

is this appropriate? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
If this is what the doctor dictated, I would guess you would transcribe it as is.

I am back in school studying American Sign Language and Deaf Studies. The use of the term "deaf and dumb" is considered extremely unacceptable in this day and age. Deaf people find is offensive, perhaps as offensive as the dreaded "N" word to an African American.

In actuality, cases of "deaf mutes" are extremely rare. Deafness is a medical condition of hearing loss which does not affect the vocal cords.

I suppose it would be inappropriate for a transcriptionist to edit what the dictator stated, but for everyone reading this, just know the term "deaf and dumb" is NOT ACCEPTABLE. Likewise, the Deaf community is not accepting of the term "hearing impairment" either, as the word "impairment" implies a disability. The deaf do not see themselves as disabled. "Deaf" or "hard of hearing" are the correct terms to use. Just FYI.

People need to lighted up - crankyoldbiddy

[ In Reply To ..]
Political correctness has become ridiculous! You can't have an opinion these days without offending someone. If the doctor said "deaf and dumb," who the hell are you to question that? Who the hell are you to tell me that I have to conform to what is acceptable in a community I do not belong to? If I want to call them dumb, I'll call them dumb. If I want to call them queer, I'll call them queer.. and so on. I don't have to like everyone. Everyone doesn't have to like me. Quit trying to shove your liberal PC BS down my throat!

WOW. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

in polite response - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Attitudes such as yours are what perpetuate prejudice, pre-judgment without knowing the facts.

It is not about political correctness, it is about respecting others as human beings. Perhaps it is not political correctness that has run amok but rather a skewed view of free speech. Yes, you have the right to voice your opinion, but that does not mean your opinion is kind, decent or even fair.

You have the right to think and have an opinion. You have the right to be a cranky old biddy. But you are greatly depriving yourself of understanding and appreciating diversity.

I have an ASL instructor whose mom was physically struck by her teacher when she failed to vocalize a correct sound in speech training. I have an instructor whose deaf father wanted to go to college when he was a young man but was told by the college he could not attend because "deaf people could not learn."

If you were to meet the Deaf students at my college, or the Deaf kids who attend some of our youth programs, you may rethink your choice to use "deaf and dumb." Your opinion is yours, but it is your own loss to remain narrow-minded and judgmental.

A good quote to consider is "Be kinder than necessary because everyone is fighting their own personal battle."

Similar Messages:

OMG, I Must Be Going Deaf.
May 25, 2014

For the last 7-8 days I have been having a horrible time hearing dictation.  I've tried several different headsets, and nothing seems to help.   Is there any way to amplify the sound beyond 100%? ...

Going Deaf
Mar 12, 2015

One account features soft spoken dictator, turn the volume UP to hear.  Next dictator is LOUD, turn the volume down.  What, I can't hear you.  Wish there was some way it could be fixed so that we don't bounce back and forth. Yeah, right.  ...

Paranoid Or Deaf?
Jul 15, 2010

OK I am probably getting totally paranoid now, but do you think they manipulate the sound and speed of the dictations?  I have been typing for years now for MQ and all of the sudden, the sound is really muffled and I am having to turn the bass down, and I have had to back it up a couple of clicks on the speed.  Am I just getting old and deaf (and apparently hearing more slowly)?  Also anybody else besides me noticed the discrepancy between minutes of dictation and lines typed on ...

Have I Gone Deaf Over The Last Week Or So?
Sep 01, 2013

I can't understand anyone here lately whats up with that? Tried volume, speed, tone, you name it ...

Either I Am Going Deaf Or These Doctors Are
Sep 12, 2014

Becoming more and more inconsiderate..Mumble, half words, dictate at the speed of light..God I hope there are doctors that come to this site cause the company sure doesn't give us any help in making them act like responsible adults. I know your job is hard, but mine is to document what you say accurately, give me a fighting chance please.. ...

Falling On Deaf Ears
Jun 19, 2015

x ...

So I Did Something Dumb
May 30, 2010

I took a job with DIT transcription.  I know. My thinking was that I could get some experience to take elsewhere because they were the only company that would hire me, and most companies clearly state that you need "on the job experience." Well, I'm getting nervous after reading all these posts about them, and I was wondering.. Does anyone have any advice on how to get work with little experience? Like, any companies that let you take a test to see how well you do or anything like that ...

Dumb
Dec 13, 2012

NEW! DO NOT PEND FOR CC ISSUES! Follow account specifics for selecting copies.  Under no circumstances should you pend a job to the client for a cc issue...ever!!! I guess they don't want us to pend to the client for cc issues, ya think?  Seriously?  Red, in caps, AND exclamation marks?  duh  ...

Am I Dumb Or What?
Mar 08, 2013

Can someone help me with my math.  If 1 point gets taken off for an error how does that constitute a 96%?.  Does that mean that 2 + 2 = 5.  If so, I guess I'm all over it.   Please help me with comprehension, I'm feeling really dumb and really pure! ...

Dumb ?
May 12, 2013

Was Saturday (5/11) the second week of Nuance's current pay period?   Thanks in advance! ...

Maybe I'm Being Dumb Here But...
Nov 20, 2014

I have seen so many posts on here asking the question of which companies provide computers and I wonder why people don't have their own computer and need one provided.  If it's a matter of "finances," there are many options available to get your own computer; rent to own, or even places like QVC or HSN.  They offer payment plans and you can pay with either a credit card or a debit card.  I recently got a VERY nice laptop from QVC and am making payments on it in the area ...

Dumb Question?
Oct 15, 2009

I was just wondering, how do you view older posts or post after the last one on the page. I used to be able to see older ones, but now for some reason I cannot.  It seems since the page has changed. Thanks. Sorry for such a "dumb question". ...

I Feel REALLY Dumb Asking This But
Nov 15, 2009

I have a doc describing a cough and I can not come up with the correct spelling on the end of the word.  It is a rattley cough, as in rattle-like sounding cough.  It is not rattling, but rattle-e.  Some days, the brain is just not functioning.  Duh!  Sorry. ...

Got A Really Dumb Question
Jan 29, 2010

Is there any method besides a phone line to connecting to a hospital-based system? an it be done through the Internet? ...

This May Be A Dumb Question, But If You Are (sm)
Oct 21, 2010

an IC and work for an MTSO are you supposed to "know" more and not have to leave blanks for QA? ...

Dumb Question Maybe...why Can't I See...sm
Aug 01, 2012

I notice other people mentioning likes/dislikes on posts.  I'm not seeing them and I wonder why.  Anyone know?  ...

Maybe A Dumb Question, But Anyway...
Dec 25, 2012

So in working on getting my own clients, questions keep coming up in my mind. Here's today's: How do you charge for CCs if the doc requests one be sent to another doc? Or is this something that is done on their office end? I'm planning on a call-in service that also allows handhelds, so it will have the FTP system in place, if that matters in answering the question. After working for large MTSOs, I'm having a hard time "picturing" things in motion. Thank you so much f ...

Might Be A Dumb Question, But....
Jan 16, 2013

I wondered in order to take the exams for AAPC and the AHIMA, do you have to be a member of each of the organizations?    Thank you, T ...

Okay Now I Feel Dumb
Mar 04, 2013

I have been trying to apply to N.  Went to the website, created an account and filled in the info.  Then try to apply for job, keeps sending me back to the fill-in-info page.  Am I dumb or what?  Maybe this is a sign I am not meant to work for N.  Did I just apply multiple times or not at all?  If I can't even figure it out, geez.  Shouldn't it say "thanks for applying, we'll get back to you" or something like that?  Anybody know?  Will ...

This Might Be A Dumb Question, But If You're
Apr 19, 2013

....working for an MTSO, is it typical to let them know you won't be working any more with a traditional 2-week notice?  I'm thinking about doing some IC work for the first time (have always been an employee in the past), and I'm just wondering how that usually works if and when you decide you don't want to work for them any more.   So, if you're an IC, do you typically just let them know not to send you any more work when you want out?  I have a feeling ...

Dumb Tax Question
Feb 14, 2014

I only worked as an MT for a short time in Jan/Feb of 2013, IC status. I haven't received any tax info from this company yet.  I moved over the summer and I'm wondering if the form wasn't forwarded by the PO.  I've been trying to contact this company, but I'm not receiving answers to my emails or phone messages.  Can someone confirm what tax form I should have received?  Is it the 1099?  ...

Dumb And Dumber
May 04, 2015

I am an experienced MT but need some help; haven't had to test for a long time.  I was given the opportunity to test for a company and got the sound file up but the foot pedal will not stop/go the sound. Second problem is that when I move to another page to create a document, I lose the sound feature/box.  (was trying to use word pad or email as I do not have Word on my machine.) Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated.       ...

Dumb Application Question
Oct 14, 2009

Once you have gone through the first phase of the on-line application process and answered all the questions, ending up at a screen which says "thank you", then what happens?  I did not see any section to submit a resume or whether anyone would call or email or whether I'm supposed to call or email or what the next step in the on-line application process may be.  TIA for any and all help with this. ...

Dumb Question On Audit
Oct 28, 2009

If I got 3 things marked off at 0.25 for each one, what would that audit score be?  It is marked at 97.5 which sounds unfair.  I am no math genius, but would it not be 99.25? ...

Dumb Question Part 2
May 09, 2010

Why do you have to have a windows program and/or a word based program on your computer? ...

Really Dumb Question On Grammar
Sep 29, 2010

The really dumb question is: We were able to insert a 22-French catheter or We were able to insert an 22-French catheter. A or an ? I think the use of the number is not making either sound right! ...

Dumb Question About Webcast
Oct 18, 2012

Okay, so I missed an hour of work due to the webcast. I timed in under conference call for that hour.  Do I still have to make up production time for the hour that I wasn't working. TIA ...

Dumb Question About DQS Keystrokes
Feb 13, 2013

What are the keystrokes for the left hand if you are following along the text with the cursor; using the arrow keys on the right hand, and _____ on the left hand? It seems ridiculous because it's become so automatic that I can't even think what the keys are without actually doing it. ...

Olympus Recorder From Doc , And I Am Old And Dumb.
Nov 25, 2013

I recently heard from a local MD asking me to do work, said he was going to buy a tape recorder.  Okay, I get my trusty old equipment out.  Now he calls and says he has bought an Olympus VN 702PC.  I googled it hoping to figure it out, called my more literate son who says I can just use it with forward and pause buttons OR I can connect it to my computer with a USB cord and, "Mom, all you do is open the folder you want and click........."  Of course, I haven't a clue. &n ...

Dumb Question Alert
Jun 19, 2014

Sorry for the dumb question but I can't get any answers from my head honchos...where do you go to review your reports that have been audited? I've checked the manual and I see DocQManage.  That's not even on my computer (DocQScribe is).  I'm in Fluency.  I've tried to log into FFT Manager with my # with DEP on the end plus the password so graciously supplied to me but I keep getting "account not recognized" as an error message. This is seriously distress ...