A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Paranoid or deaf? - sick and tired

Posted: Jul 15, 2010

OK I am probably getting totally paranoid now, but do you think they manipulate the sound and speed of the dictations?  I have been typing for years now for MQ and all of the sudden, the sound is really muffled and I am having to turn the bass down, and I have had to back it up a couple of clicks on the speed.  Am I just getting old and deaf (and apparently hearing more slowly)? 

Also anybody else besides me noticed the discrepancy between minutes of dictation and lines typed on straight dictation and ASR -- like 700 lines will be 75 minutes of straight dictation, while 800 lines of ASR will be 70 minutes?  The line count is better, but it seems to be really condensed on the ASR.  Maybe that is why we are so nervous?  Less minutes/more lines like chipmunks talking (and transcribing from the looks of some of the ASR garbage)?

I agree with you about the sound issue... - mb

[ In Reply To ..]
Some of the reports I've gotten lately have sounded horribly muffled and on top of it being an ESL dictator, I've had to leave a lot of blanks and am forced to send it to QA because of so many blanks. But yet, when I listen to it after the blanks have been filled in, it's a whole lot easier to understand! I talked to my CCM about it and she said maybe my sound card is going out in my computer and I should contact support and have them send me a new one. Well, I tried that and they shot down that idea in a hurry and said they wouldn't send me a new computer just because my CCM said she wanted me to have one. That, along with NJA every day now, is why I hate this place so much!

Sound card - sick and tired

[ In Reply To ..]
Sound card actually went out in my old computer about 3 weeks ago. I thought maybe new one would be better; actually I think the new one is worse. This is the one I am having to turn down bass to hear dictators more clearly and turn the speed down on most dictators. Just didn't want you to think that a sound card would help you any!!!!

I use a USB sound card with a - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
headphone jack. It works extremely well. It sounds better and also gives your audio a boost to where you can turn it louder.

It's like this, but may be able to find one on ebay:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Advantage-Micro-Sound-Card/dp/B0002ICGDY
Thanks -- open to any help!! - sick and tired
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

sound issue - nan

[ In Reply To ..]
If your sound card was bad, you wouldn't hear it better on the QA feedback. LOL Sound is sound. I too get back better sound on feedback, when I used to send to QA. I don't send them anything anymore, not even if there are a lot of blanks. That is not my problem. Either stop deducting pay for inaudible dictation, new accounts or fast talking unfamiliar dictators, or I will continue sending blanks, even if there are a lot. I do my best to fill them in. I even go back after finished and relisten several times to each blank and then they get what they get.

Same problem here - I have always complained - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
about sound quality, especially with the worst ESLs. On the recent survey we were given regarding ASR I listed better sound quality 2 times but I doubt that will make a difference. I do leave a QA note for the hospital when the sound quality is horrid but probably just wasting my time.

Poor sound quality - FormerMT

[ In Reply To ..]
If I complained about muffled dictation once, I complained 100 times. It sounded like the dictator was talking into a bottle. It got worse and worse to the point where everything I tried to transcribe was that bad. I was in tears each and every day. I quit last year. There are no words to describe the stress of working under these conditions. I remember the day when I had a beautiful account for 12 years, excellent sound quality, time off when I needed it due to physical conditions, only to see it all go down. I really hope things get better for you.

To: Poor sound quality - Former MT - mlanna

[ In Reply To ..]
Believe me, everyone has complained about the fricking audio. With 2 different CCMs I complained and kept complaining (you'll laugh at this one - I was told to maybe get my hearing tested - the CCMs can't get any further than we can and just throw out anything for an excuse). Finally, in the end it turned out that equipment on one of the client's end was the problem. The client did do some things in regard to their equipment and it did seem somewhat better, but not 100%. For the other account under another CCM a tech from MQ that was in the area went and tried to find a pattern from where the doctors were dictating from, but nothing really came of it. What is frustrating is that the MT ends up sending emails and/or calling and spending unpaid time and nothing gets done. Bottom line is nothing will be done about the audio and we have to be the ones who lose out emotionally and financially. If they really cared about making our job easier, they would research more and could probably do something about it, but we know who wants the money!!

Poor audio - FormerMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I totally agree. To think I stressed over it for the last few years. It just got worse as time went by. I was told by one CCM that "It must be your equipment." I called tech support, who also blew me off. My next supervisor was more understanding and notified the client, but it was literally all of my accounts. It was crackling, wavy, muffled and at many, many places too bad to be understood. Any reasonable employer would know that being able to understand the spoken word and hear it is a huge part of the job. It's like requiring a construction worker to do the job without the necessary equipment. It can't be done. I lost all respect for MQ a long time ago. As you pointed out, I lost so much time and money and put so much effort into solving the problem, until I finally faced the fact that they just didn't care.

Similar Messages:

OMG, I Must Be Going Deaf.
May 25, 2014

For the last 7-8 days I have been having a horrible time hearing dictation.  I've tried several different headsets, and nothing seems to help.   Is there any way to amplify the sound beyond 100%? ...

Going Deaf
Mar 12, 2015

One account features soft spoken dictator, turn the volume UP to hear.  Next dictator is LOUD, turn the volume down.  What, I can't hear you.  Wish there was some way it could be fixed so that we don't bounce back and forth. Yeah, right.  ...

Have I Gone Deaf Over The Last Week Or So?
Sep 01, 2013

I can't understand anyone here lately whats up with that? Tried volume, speed, tone, you name it ...

Either I Am Going Deaf Or These Doctors Are
Sep 12, 2014

Becoming more and more inconsiderate..Mumble, half words, dictate at the speed of light..God I hope there are doctors that come to this site cause the company sure doesn't give us any help in making them act like responsible adults. I know your job is hard, but mine is to document what you say accurately, give me a fighting chance please.. ...

Falling On Deaf Ears
Jun 19, 2015

x ...

Paranoid
Apr 06, 2010

I am even paranoid to type on this board for fear of a typo and somebody will say "see, those American transcriptions are terrible."  I proofread a couple of times before I hit "send." ...

Even More Paranoid
Dec 03, 2010

Not only am I paranoid about the keystrokes per hour and the mouse click-thing, I have gotten 3 reports back for "errors."  One of the report numbers I could not find all last month in my detailed list of reports, and on one the other two I seriously doubt that I was responsible for the errors that I am being acused of (they were both left-out words -- something I have never been guilty of before -- might have a typo as I am not perfect, but never once left out words, and supposedly I ...

I Know This Is Paranoid, But...
Jul 04, 2012

Is there a way to see on our paystub somewhere that we were actually paid time and a half today? I usually do a count on the metrics for the pay period, but the only way I think to make sure they pay us holiday pay is to keep a separate log for today and then do the metrics in two halves (one before today, one after today, and then add the two to what I did today at the holiday rate). It seems it should be a more straightforward.  They should do a line breakdown on our stubs for the pay pe ...

Enough With The Paranoid
May 18, 2013

Stop! ...

Am I Being Paranoid Or Have I Been Seeing A Lot Of MTs With Experience Being
Sep 30, 2010

I'm asking because I think I'm going to be one of those that will be let go. Is this a known practice with all companies, or is it me? I need my job. I work my hours when there's work, make up the time when there isn't. I just have the feeling about this and I don't know what to do. Should I hHang in there and look elsewhere or leave before they slam the door shut on me? Should I get out completely and look for something else? I've been an MT for 15 years and don& ...

Just Plain Paranoid
Dec 02, 2010

OK I have literally kept my foot on the transcription pedal while I have researched doctor names, drugs, and instruments on Google.  Also tap, tap, tapped a key when my husband called.  Is my production higher?  Nope.  Is my stress level through the roof?  Yep.  Blood sugar higher?  Yes.  Sugar cravings?  You better believe it.  Hate this stupid job even more than before.  ...

Am I Being Overly Paranoid Or Am I Right.
Jan 26, 2013

I have this sinking feeling that every so often QA decides they are going to catch a set amount of errors and they go about it.  Then, time passes and nothing.  Then, it starts up again.  It seems to have a pattern.  I personally noticed this not only because the e mail alerts from the review show up a lot at a time and then stop.  As well, my sup sends e mails that all of a sudden we (the MTs) are making so many errors.  (This is during the times I get a deluge of ...

Just Resigned Either I Am Paranoid Or I Have It Figured Out
Jun 14, 2010

I have worked for Medquist 7 years, started out 10 cents a line and I am Tier III ESL accounts.  Used to work for transcend before that.  We went to ASR and we were told to highlight and correct so we could "train" it.  We have been doing that for the C-Bay over in India through Spheris and Medquist who are owned by them in case you are new to this website.  Our loyalty and quality assurance has caused us to lose our jobs.  I resigned but I know a lot other well paid MT/ ...

Teammates! Be Paranoid! They Are Continuing
Apr 17, 2013

If you dont drive quality, you are out the door ...

If I Were The Paranoid Type I Would Suspect--sm
Nov 10, 2013

that Nuance was trying to make me use all of my PTO for OOW and then fire me.  I am not the paranoid type, at least, in this scenario I do not think that is their objective but, I no longer feel as secure as I once did.  I used to think that I was likely okay because I worked the shifts and days fewer people did, like Sunday night (which was reportedly a time they needed more workers).  I will run out of work tonight before my shift ends, very, very unusual for a Sunday.  I w ...

I Have Never Seen Such A Paranoid Bunch Of MTs When It Comes To Testing On MTTtest
Jan 09, 2011

I have been reading recent posts regarding testing -- filling in information, etc., and I have never seen such a bunch of paranoid MTs in my life.  I tell the truth regarding my resume, SS#, phone number and experience.  Yes, I HAVE "failed" tests wtih MTTest.com and decided that company postiion was not for me.  My newest job; I was called on the phone, offered the position, had to test, failed the "third written test" but was still hired.  I am making an above average salar ...

FIESA Quarterly Bonus - Getting A Little Paranoid
Dec 03, 2014

I may be getting a little paranoid here, but has anyone noticed when you are just a hairline smidge away from your 99% to get the bonus, all of a sudden there are no post audits being done?   ...

Fiesa Makes Me Paranoid, For A Good Reason.
Oct 10, 2013

There is a doctor who in almost every report has at least one discrepancy and made a really glaring one and I carefully flagged it with my concern (obviously wrong medication).   The QC came back with a "major error" failure to flag.  Well I knew without a doubt I had flagged it and I was later proved correct by my supervisor.  Why would she do that?  Did she think I wouldn't notice?  Then I saw that it was the same QC that oftentimes p ...

Is The Use Of "deaf And Dumb" Even Appropriate?
Sep 12, 2013

I have a doctor dictating "The patient is deaf and dumb".  Isn't this an old school saying?  It seems wrong for a doctor to be saying this but thought I'd see what others though.  ...