A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

If you work on VA or other federal government med transcription - sm

Posted: Jun 27, 2014

For anyone who currently works for an MTSO that handles VA or other federal government work, you must have employee status and be paid at least the hourly wage determination rate.  The wage determination rate is NOT the same as minimum wage.  It is, in most cases, significantly higher, and each county in every state has their own WDR.  If you are not being paid properly, you can file an ANONYMOUS complaint with the Department of Labor.  If no one complains, these MTSOs will continue to violate the law, breach their contracts with the VA or feds, and screw you out of what they are legally obligated to pay you, which in many cases will be more than you are getting paid via a line rate.  

probably should work a VA accoun direct instead of - going through an MTSO, huh?

[ In Reply To ..]
because I bet the va account is paying the way you say to the MTSO, we just don't see it working under the MTSO rules and it comes to us in cpl. Not saying it's right but that might just be legal. We don't work FOR the VA, we work FOR the MTSO, and we agreed to it up front. Worth a try reporting them tho, to at least find out what's up with that either way. You can call the labor board with questions, too.

However, I would never work a VA account through an MTSO.

You are not going to work FOR a VA - unless you ARE an MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
You are not going to do contract transcription work for a VA unless you are an MTSO. They do not contract with individuals. They have national account agreements with a small number of MTSOs, typically small business, veteran and/or minority owned. Individual facilities have to use them, not goout on their own.

The OP was correct. The VA requires exactly that for any type of contractor. They can pay by the line, but you must be an employee and your income must at least meet that minimum. If an employer is not following those rules, it should be reported.

The VA can't know what you experience unless you tell them. You have to report your MTSO. You won't be the first.

well, ours in my state still have inhouse transcription departments. - but whatever. s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
As do the military bases in this state, one of which I type for.
The discussion was about contracting, - not employee.
[ In Reply To ..]
The discussion was about contracting directly with the facility, not about working as an employee. That is why it said "contract."

Employee status is entirely different. No VA employees in those job categories are paid on a line rate. It is always hourly.

Yes, some VA hospital facilities still have in-house, employee MTs. However, very few do. You may be confusing other jobs with that.

I also wonder which VA hospitals these are, because the VA is not a "state" organization and is not organized by states, making it odd that you would think that the facilities in your state had this in common. With few exceptions, they are not associated with military hospitals, either.

I shall simply cease to breathe. work for you? - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
this tit-4-tat is done.
but it's allowed to think in terms of BIGGER PICTURE, right: - anon NM
[ In Reply To ..]
~~~~~
No one was talking about EMPLOYEE work. Umm, IC's can work independent - of an MTSO and do the same job. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
sheesh.
Discussion was about the VA - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Perhaps you should read and follow the thread.

Yes, ICs can work independent of an MTSO, but individuals are not going to meet the bidding and contracting requirements of the VA.

In other words, you are never going to get an IC job working for the VA.
oh for crying out loud, YES VA, - OMGwaa NM
[ In Reply To ..]
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It is not legal - That is the point

[ In Reply To ..]
If you work for an MTSO and perform services for a contract with the federal government/VA, you must have employee status, and you must be paid the hourly wage determination rate. It does not matter if you signed a contract with your MTSO to be an IC and get paid by the line. A contract that contains terms that would violate a law is not valid.

MTSOs who have VA contracts and have been audited by the Department of Labor and found to be in violation of the McNamara-O'Hara Service Contract Act of 1965 have been forced to pay their MTs an hourly wage and an additional separate hourly rate that goes into a benefits fund. These MTSOs had contracts with their MTs that stipulated they did NOT have employee status and would be paid per the line. Those contracts are null and void because the terms violated the law. Those MTs are now employees and are being paid the WDRs for counties in which their respective accounts are located.

Enforcement of the law is a wonderful thing.

Similar Messages:

MQ, Federal Government And Tax Breaks
Mar 13, 2010

After seeing CBay's lovely employee website extolling the awards they will bestoweth upon any Indian who works for them, I was wondering.  Looking at the the enless football field size rooms of computers, (many, many, many computers), desks, chairs, headphones, the brand-new buildings themselves, the exercise room with top notch expensive exericise equipment, the yoga teacher, the buses used to transport them to and from work, the workers hired to drive those buses, the free medi ...

Offshoring And Our Now Government
Jun 26, 2011

It does not matter if you choose a service that does not offshore.  Most of the hospitals are using 2 services anyway and they do NOT want to pay for transcription.  This is big business and it keeps the money flowing to the people who demand high salaries and who have direct patient contact.  It is no big deal that the reports come back horrible.  The hospitals have wanted for years to rid any of the jobs that were not of 'direct patient contact' and we were t ...

Government Contracts
Nov 13, 2014

I have contacted Kerry Bentivolio, Congressman for my district, several times regarding the latest taxpayer travesty. Contracts for medical transcription work at the VA Hospitals are now being awarded to an Indian company, IMedx. Financial support for these hospitals is being provided by taxpayers, and those jobs and contracts should be awarded to AMERICANS. There are numerous AMERICAN transcription companies that could not only handle this work, but provide more accurate transcription services ...

If The Government Is Going To Raise Minimum Wage?
Feb 27, 2013

I'm wondering if a lot of the transcription companies are waiting to see if the government is going to raise minimum wage to $9.00 an hour.  Will they raise the line counts then?  ...

Keep Our Jobs In America Official Government Petition Link!
Nov 03, 2011

Here's the official government link for those who are sick of the whining about losing jobs to India via the Q and want to do something about it!  All you naysayers, do something or stop whining about it.  We need lots of votes, so please go vote and stand up! PLEASE!   http://wh.gov/TFH ...

Does Anyone Have Info About A Company Called Genesis Government Solutions? Sm
Nov 30, 2014

What platform do they use and is it user friendly?  Is the transcription straight typing, VR, or a mix?  How is the workload?  TIA ...

No Federal Tax Withheld
Feb 04, 2011

Does anyone know why for the year 2010 I didn't have any federal taxes taken out of my pay check.  Did that happen for anyone else from Medquist ?  ...

Federal Job Openings In Coding
Mar 02, 2014

There are 34 coding jobs announcements on www.usajobs.gov today. Some are for more than one  position. To see them, search for keyword 0675 and open to federal employees. Looks like 24 of them are open to those who are not yet federal employees.  There are also 11 job announcements for medical record administrators, some of which may be in coding.  To see them, search for 0669.   ...

What Happened To The Federal Tax Withholding Post?
Jan 26, 2010

nm ...

Federal Guidelines To Meet For ICs Under HIPAA
Sep 09, 2013

So I passed the BA Agreement, proof of liability insurance and Policies and Procedures with the company, so I may still be able to work as an IC and not an employee, but here is their response: "You must first provide proof that you meet the Federal Guidelines to remain an IC before providing proof of insurance or policies and procedures. You can research this by doing a Google search but these guidelines MUST be met in order to remain an IC." I already also passed the HIPAA training. What e ...

Wage Theft -- At Federal Level Says This Only
Mar 13, 2015

This is all you get at the Federal level: "No deduction may be made from an employee's wages which would reduce the employee's earnings below the required minimum wage or overtime compensation." You have to look to see what your state says about it to see if docking pay for mistakes comes under wage theft. As we know, they will give you MUP if you fall below minimum wage, so they have covered themselves on that, unless your state says differently. ...

Medquist Workers Eligible For Federal Assistance
Nov 10, 2009

WEBSITE BELOW http://newsok.com/medquist-workers-eligible-for-fed-assistance/article/3415214 MedQuist workers eligible for fed assistance FROM STAFF REPORTS    Comments 0 Published: November 7, 2009 The Labor Department report concluded that all MedQuist employees, including those working at home, who became "totally or partially separated from employment” after Aug. 26, 2008, are eligible to apply for the assistance. Read more: http://newsok.com/medquist-worke ...

Direct Violations Of Federal Law Subjecting Disabled Employees To
Jul 02, 2014

Big time. I hope HR goes to prison. ...

Execuscribe: Any Info On How They - Ensure Federal Guidelines With Regards To Minimum Wage
Jan 10, 2010

Anyone currently work for or recently just left ExecuScribe have information they would be willing to share about how they pay?  I am curious about the statement they have on their web site.  How do they handle down times (no work, computer/internet not working, etc) to “ensure…federal guidelines with regards to minimum wage and over-time laws”?  Since they require testing with the application, if you are willing, could you also answer the following, so I know ...

MT Subcontractor - Have To Pay Self-employment Taxes In Addition To Federal Income Taxes?
Jun 18, 2011

As a subcontractor performing medical transcription, do I have to pay self-employment taxes in addition to Federal Income Taxes? ...

InfAny Info On Net Med Transcription, All-Write Transcription Or FutureNet Technologies?
Jun 11, 2010

I would appreciate any input anyone may have on these 3 companies. I have tried to find out about them through their local BBB, but only Net Med Transcription has anything on it. Thanks. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me Info On August Medical Transcription Or Transcription South
May 29, 2013

I have found a few things on these companies but was looking to find a little more in depth information from past or current employees. ...

Any Advice On Craft Transcription Or SOAP Transcription??
May 30, 2014

Hi!   Anyone heard of or work for Craft Transcription or SOAP Transcription??? I have a interview today with SOAP. Any information is appreciated. ...

United Transcription Or Alpha Transcription
Sep 14, 2010

Just trying to get info on both companies.  Don't see much when I search.  Anyone work for either of these and can give me more info would be appreaciated.  ...

Prn Military Transcription/prn Medical Transcription
Jun 25, 2014

Anyone hear from them yet?  Over 1100 views, that means a billion resumes. ...

Offshore Transcription Stories Wanted- Medical Malpractice Cases Related To Offshore Transcription M
Oct 15, 2009

A legal contact was inquiring about the connection of medical mistakes related to off-shored transcription mistakes.  I have told him to review these boards and hopefully he will benefit from the information here.  While he did not discuss the exact case, I think that he will be able to use the off-shore transcription issue to his client's benefit or at least highlight that the provider in question does not have as rigorous control on processing records as other pr ...

What Is Your Opinion Of Nuance Transcription And United Transcription (United In Charlotte, NC)
Jun 06, 2012

I have been offered a position with both.  I have; however, in the past, had a position where the employer still owes me $6000.  Does United pay and have the work?  Does Nuance have enough work for me?  I need full time work guaranteed income, like everyone else.  Good luck to all out there! ...

JLG Transcription - Good Or Bad, Anything About JLG Transcription?
Jun 24, 2011

Can anyone tell me, good or bad, anything about JLG Transcription? Thanks. ...

ASR -v- Transcription
Oct 12, 2009

Would someone explain to me how is that this company can legally pay us a lower rate for ASR compared to transcription?  After they pushed ASR on me, (said that I wouldn't ever get a 50:50 ratio of ASR to transcription) I am getting mostly ASR work.  My pay has dropped significantly.  Can they do this? ...

Q.E.D. Transcription
Oct 13, 2009

Does anyone know anything about, or have any experience with Q.E.D. Transcription? ...

Q.E.D. Transcription?
Nov 11, 2009

I have an interview tomorrow morning with this company, and I was wondering how they are to work for (i.e. work load, pay on time, platform, etc.).   TIA!!! ...

PRN Transcription?? Anyone??
Nov 19, 2009

Anyone have any information about P.R.N. Transcription?  Got a reply on a resume I sent out and am wondering what type of company they are???  Good, bad, ugly? ...

PRN Transcription
Nov 20, 2009

For those of you who have recently posted regarding PRN and have worked for them, is this the company out of Ohio?? ...

NOW Transcription
Dec 23, 2009

Hi all!  I was just wondering if anyone worked for NOW Transcription or if anyone knew anything about this company?  Any input would be appreciated. ...

P.r.n. Transcription
Feb 02, 2010

Just wondering if anyone works for this company or has any info on them and now they are to work for. Thanks. ...