A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Hard to believe what mgm asks you to do - PR

Posted: Jan 13, 2013

This past week editing a report and the dictator was giving the diagnosis. By the way this was an ESL so lots of the voice recognition was wrong to start with, numerous corrections had to be made. The guy started out with 1 and then 2 and dictating away. They then said #6 and I did not hear the numbers in between. I sent instant message telling mgm and was told after the fact I should have divided the categories. I am not a physician, could not differentiate that clearly to start with, the guy changing his mind, going back and forth and am not putting myself in a position to guess what they want. I am really so sick of how dictators are being allowed to get away with murder. We are supposed to go here and there, adding this onto 1 category when they forget and want to update and then, oh go back to so and so and put this in. Dictators years ago never did this, why now? No one holds the dictators accountable, yet the transcriptionists are supposed to be sure the reports are 100% accurate. Dictators cannot pronounce English words, make a horrible mess of the reports and I am doing slow burn as I type this.

just to be clear... - Des

[ In Reply To ..]
"Dictators years ago never did this, why now?"

Oh, yes they did. I've been an MT for over 15 years and you had better believe they were like this then, too. The difference is that back then, we were actually PAID to take care of those things for them.

Just to be clearer, sorry, have you beat in the years doing this - P

[ In Reply To ..]
as this is my 41st year doing transcription and this was not done years ago. Some people then typing on a regular typewriter making several copies with carbon and had no way to do corrections except for erasing each and every copy. I started out on typewriter, correcting Selectric and there is no way that you could go back and insert a paragraph, just was not done. You could put something at the bottom but insert, nah.If you started 15 years ago, you had computer, we did not. We had a handful of people other than doctors who dictated, huge hospital, but not every person who thought they could speak would dictate. Also if you had an issue with a dictation, you could flag it, get answer and you could also ask a doctor about the dictations. Now it is not allowed to even say that a dictator should get their act together for fear of a company losing an account so therefore we as trancriptionists have to trudge through horrible reports. Oh, by the way, before I make a statement I always know if truth or not and like I said previously, YEARS ago, not done.

I agree. No it was not always like this - middleageMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I too started out on typewriters with carbon paper. No we could not go back and insert or take out. There was no way we could make corrections on upteem number of carbons. If we had to type it over from the beginning because the doctor wanted something else, we got paid (and paid well!) for the 1st time we typed it as well as typing it a 2nd time or a 3rd time, etc. There was none of this putting up with the dictator's bad habits. We left blanks or we went straight to the doc and said get your act together! Fast forward 25+ years. I work directly for a hospital, thank goodness, but oh my at some of the horrible dictators and horrible quality of dictation we have to put up with. We complain and the management contacts the docs; sometimes they clean up their act, but more often than not they continue with the bad dictating habits (and they get contacted with blanks). The only thing is with computers we can now add this or take out that much more easily. But I'm still daily correcting errors made by doctors be it medication dosages, dictating lab data wrong, wrong dates, he/she, you name it.
I would think, also you would agree with this Middleage MT - PR
[ In Reply To ..]
The work is much harder now than it used to be, for me at least it is. It should be easier but because of the dictators with their sloppy, almost incoherent words a lot of the time, I am having to leave blanks and no where in my past has it been like this. I know the work frontwards and back, no issue with that but how can you possibly do not only a correct job but an excellent job when you really have not much to work with? I sit here the days I work saying, "I really don̢۪t have to do this any longer" and yet I hate to give up the extra income. It is a catch 22 with me. Have worked since very early age, around 14 or 15 at my first job and is ingrained in me to want to work. Started on VR some years back, that has evolved to be a constant frustration because you can go for months and have really good reports and then first thing you know the reports are a jumbled piece of words. One of these days.......
You know, it is now a lot harder for some docs too - who are also employees being
[ In Reply To ..]
pushed and pushed to produce more revenue. Also, because so many hospitals are having severe financial difficulties, many are requiring docs to see more patients instead of hiring additional ones.

It's not just on us.

Do I get to see you one and raise - 40+ years

[ In Reply To ..]
Actually, they DID do this years ago. Many, many times, doing 5-part copies, I would have a resident say, "OH Sh*t! I forgot the PE." This meant I had to tear up 4 of the pages I'd just transcribed and start over. After a few times, I began billing the MTSO for them. But dictators have never cared how we are producing the work so to think just because you were doing this on a Selectric with 5-part copies meant they didn't change their mind, forget or be mumble jumbles is sorely mistaken.
Not, cannot raise because we are talking about - P
[ In Reply To ..]
something different entirely. You are talking retyping. I am talking about not being able to insert nor were we asked to do that. You can tear up copies, start all over but you surely were never able to insert paragraphs, etc. on the typewriters. If a dictator changed their mind, you would put at the bottom of the dictation and by the way as far as mumbling, jumbling and so on, it is far, far worse now than then. We were allowed not only to speak to the doctors but also could call their offices to ask about a dictation. Most cannot do that now, including me and working doing same hospital as I did over 15 years ago.
Not my experience at all - 40+ years
[ In Reply To ..]
I am talking about the same thing, where a resident would ask to go back and put in his PE. OF COURSE, I couldn't do that w/o having to retype the entire report. These were teaching hospitals in NYC and Philadelphia and never once were we told to just add it at the end.

And have you ever done any work for Perth Amboy? In 1979, I cried my eyes out of their sockets trying to understand what in the heck the dictators were saying. So, anyone who wants to purport that mumbly jumbly dictation is now is just whack. And dictators have changed their minds since the advent of giving dictation. Modern docs do NOT corner the market on EITHER issue.
Is someone disagrees, then they are called whack? - P
[ In Reply To ..]
Never worked for Perth Amboy, never heard of them either. I also worked at a teaching hospital and still doing work for them now 15+ years later. I never remember having to retype a report. I do remember extremely well the quality of the dictators then and now. We had probably maybe 2 ESL physicians who dictated in the entire hospital whereas now, on the weekends about every one dictating is. No one said dictators did not change their minds but like another person and I both said, we had the same experience in transcribing and that was we put an ADDENDUM on the end. If I had ever came close to "crying my eyes out of their sockets trying to understand what he was saying" then I would feel I certainly was not cut out for this type work in the first place.

I agree not always done and never given a - bad review for not understanding (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
any of it. Doctors clarified their mistakes and actually would apologize if they were not clear in their dictation. Imagine that?!

Been doing this for 25+ years and started on a typewriter on a form with 4 copies and 4 different colors of white-out, but not once could a doctor insert an entire paragraph. It had to go at the bottom as an addendum.
Before seeing your answer, stated exactly same above - P
[ In Reply To ..]
You did not insert, you put at bottom as addendum. In all my years, in fact, I do not really remember a doctor asking me to tear up a report and they would redictate. Never had to copy type a report. I know to get physicians to catch up on their dictations they would have these fantastic spreads for the doctors, lunches, dinners, one time was a seafood spread. Doctors were notorious for hating to dictate, thus guess reason never got redictations.

to: Hard to Believe..... - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you Truly believe that this JUST STARTED RECENTLY??? I've been doing this work for over 22 years and they were doing it then also. The last girls I worked with were at the same place for over 35 years and worked on TYPEWRITERS (not the memory kind either) with 5 or 6 carbon copies. I asked what they did when a doctor changed his mind or wanted to "add" something. They said there was nothing they could do but start the report all over again from scratch! So if you think it's rough going up and down on a computer screen deleting, adding, moving text, etc., remember the girls who wished they had YOUR problem!! Also I have no idea how they could even HEAR the dictation with all that CLICKING and CLACKING going on in the room with 4 or 5 of them at one time!!! Those certainly were NOT the "GOOD OL' DAYS"!!!!

Loving the keyboard, making more money - P

[ In Reply To ..]
Base pay and incentive combination. I type around 130-140 wpm and do you know how I could rack up? Anyone and I mean anyone who has ever used the Selectric keyboard would tell you the best they probably ever used and people seek those keyboards out now after all these years. As far as the other people working around, excellent because you "would not have to cry your eyes out" because there is another person sitting closeby who can listen for you. Also people were not paying attention to noise in the room, heavens no, no bother at all. I guess for people who are insecure, shrinking violets and have a tough time relating to others it would be an issue. Maybe you know people that fit that picture. In our office were never told to tear up and start over. We were taught in the office and guess our background was just top notch, never ran across anything like that. Just the difference is a really good background compared to suboptimal one.

Similar Messages:

Where Is All The Help, She Asks
Jun 06, 2015

pssshssst....not on your life! I'm not getting on to work on my Saturday here unless they are coughing up some extra bucks! ...

TTS Asks If You Are Up For A Challenge, As If Working For Their Sm
May 07, 2013

pitiful wages is not enough a challenge. No mention of paying any higher for this challenging account. Pfooey. ...

Kind Of Sad When Someone Asks About The Company You Work For, And Sm
Aug 08, 2014

all you can think of to say is "they pay on time" and "there seems to be plenty of work right now." That should be a given, especially the paying on time thing. Otherwise, all I can say is it is a low-paying job that sucks the life and vitality out of me every day, driving my feeling of self worth a little bit lower, and taking away my hope for any kind of a future. ...

It Seems Everytime Someone Asks About A Company They Are Told STAY AWAY.. So Here Is My Question....
Jan 15, 2011

Who do you work for then?  If every company is horrible.. what do you do?  It seems there are no recommended companies anymore, not one.  In that case, it would seem that maybe everyone should start looking for a new career, no? Im not being negative...or mean.  I am just curious.  Where do you go from here when the pay is low, or the company is horrible?   When I first started doing MT work 10 years ago this site was plumishing.  There were a few companies ...

On Job Seekers Board, MT Asks "what Is CV And Why Is It Asked For?"
Dec 07, 2009

On Job Seeker's Board, which is for employers to post jobs available, someone who appears to be a job applicant, and seems to be a "new" poster asks:  "What is CV and why would someone ask for that to be included in a job application?"  Since this question might get lost or deleted from the Job Seeker's Board, I sent an e-mail to the poster, but will reply here in case more than one person has wondered.  CV can be the abbreviation for the Latin term Curriculum ...

Okay, Yet Another Person Asks Me "Where Do You Work?"
Jun 12, 2011

I say, I work at home.  They say "What do you do, and where do you work?"  I say I am a Medical Transcriptionist, and I work for blah blah blah.  They say "Are they hiring?".  I say yes all the time.  Then they say "Do you need experience or training?".  I am soooooooooo tired of this!!!!  People thinking they can do what I do, with no training and no experience!  So, they say "Well, I will go to the website and fill out an application and see what happe ...

Hard To Take It Seriously--sm
May 07, 2014

I am actually checking FIESA right now as I was placed on a new account almost 2 weeks ago but I am having a hard time taking these scores seriously as I just saw a report of mine.  I left a blank , I did hear welder but the sentence was poor and I clearly heard retired earlier.  The sentence QA put in is:  He works welder.  I kid you not.  This next paycheck I pay a bill off.  There are things I need some money for and I keep trying to remind myself of that so ...

It Is Just SO Hard To Try And Do My Very Best For
Jul 15, 2014

a company who treats me like garbage.  I get a warning for 2 (yes just 2) reports that have quality issues (they say).  Hmmmm.  Never had this problem before. ...

Hard Copies
Feb 17, 2010

This may be an obvious question to most, but how do I print a hard copy of a document I recently completed on EditScript?  Or can I?  I'd like to keep a copy of what "I edited/typed myself" before the QA reviews it, so that I can see my errors and learn from them, or have something to back me up if I disagree.  Can someone provide me with an answer. please  I know I can print them AFTER they have been reviewed by QA, but I want it before hand with my errors.....shou ...

How Hard Is It Going To Be To Fine A New Job...
Oct 16, 2011

after being fired?   ...

Is It That Hard Or Am I Just Lucky?
Nov 15, 2011

I have been looking around the boards for a bit and I see everyone complaining about working for peanuts (or less) for their MTSO.  I currently work at home for a somewhat local hospital in my area.  They sent all of their transcriptionists home about 6 years ago and their coders are home now too.  I know that the other big hospital system in my area has all of their transcriptionsts at home too.  Is it really that hard to find a job like mine or did I just get lucky?  ...

Finding It Hard To
Jan 17, 2012

sit at a keyboard for 8 hrs a day everyday.  Guess I'm just getting old.  Wish I could find part-time work.  Does anyone know of any good companies that will allow part-time (20-25 hrs)? Doesn't seem to be very many out there.  TIA. ...

$$ Your Pay, Your Hard Work!
Mar 31, 2012

I am wondering if you all feel like I do, many years as a transcriptionist and the industry has changed so. I used to be able to earn an income that I could live on and now half that amount!  I would like to hear what your paychecks are, the amount of hours you work and is anyone satisfied.  No names, of course, yours or the companies!  I, personally, absolutely kill myself for $10/hour.  For some unnamed companies you are suppose to earn an established amount ...

How Hard Is It To Get A Job Once You've Finished A Course?
May 24, 2012

Hello.  I would like to switch from transcribing to coding.  I'm considering CareerStep.  Would it be very difficult for me to find a job where I work from home, or just finding a job at all?  Thank you. ...

It's Hard Not To Be Bitter
Jun 09, 2012

Over the last 3 years I have referred to this site infrequently and looked at posts and thought to myself "sounds like a bunch of bitter folks."   I have tried to keep my "game face" on but I can't do it anymore. I moved to Nuance/Webmedx last December after Medquist purchased JLG and I was NOT about to work for them.  What a huge mistake on my part, not that either were good options.  My pay has dropped to minimum wage -- I now bring home MONTHLY what 4 years I had made pre ...

How Hard Is It To Get A TSM Job At Nuance?
Jul 13, 2014

If I have 5 years experience as a transcriptionist and a Bachelors degree in education, do you think I could get a job as a TSM?  I don't have experience as an editor or manager and haven't gotten my CMT so I don't meet all the requirements they list, but I'm wondering how picky they are? ...

New Hard Drives
Aug 07, 2014

I haven't received my new hard drive yet. Are the main programs already loaded on. ...

Hard To Believe The Same Companies
Jan 18, 2015

of being 'fit' places for which to work with actual work for which you'll be paid a fair 'wage,' when oftentimes that is just not the case. There continue to be 'companies' posting repeatedly on the 'Seeker's' board that have no business doing so. There is either little or no work, they do not pay 'on time' if at all, and the wages are sub-standard/subminimum. You are lied to from the moment you have the misfortune to have been "on ...

No Matter How Hard I Try, I Just Cannot Keep My Lph Up.
Jan 30, 2015

I'm surprised I haven't received performance management yet. I just cannot keep my line count up high enough since going to Fluency 7.6. This is too frustrating. Maybe I should copy a job into Word and see if the line count matches. Although, it could be because the ASR output has been so horrible and I am stopping 3x more to make corrections. I don't get why ASR outputs synonyms of what was said and alternative ways to phrase what was said, not to mention the downright w ...

How Hard Will It Be To Get Job After Not Doing Mt For 14 Years
Feb 13, 2015

How hard do you think it will be to get a job after not doing transcription for 14 years. I have an AAS degree in MT and several years experience, but like I said that was a while back. Just wondering about my possibilities... ...

EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES (SM)
Dec 10, 2009

Can you install a program such as a photo shop or print shop to an external hard drive and use it that way? My computer is a little too full to install another big program on it. Is there any special technique to do this? Thanks ...

GOOD MT's Hard To Find
Jun 14, 2010

WOW, are there any really good MT's out there?  I have tried soooo many MT's.  Several say they are going to work and I make arrangements for my IT people to set them up and they are not available, do not let me know they have changed their mind, do not e-mail me change in plans.  One even had disconnected cell phone a day later.  UNBELIEVEABLE.  These are all people who look fantastic on paper.  I have learned you cannot even trust resumes.  One girl ...

Hard Drive Shot...now What?
Jun 21, 2010

OK, here's the scoop. I am working on an older company-provided Dell running XP that's basically on the very last of its legs (got the blue screen of death this morning but was able to finally get to Windows and into my program). I talked with our IT guy today, and he said to get a new hard drive and have the old info transferred (at my expense, because of new company rules). I work on ChartScript.net and asked if that ran on Vista because I could then use my laptop, our only other com ...

Hard Time Finding A Job As An MT
Sep 29, 2010

Hi everyone my name is Amanda and I am a recent MT graduate.  I have been completing application after application and I either get an email saying that they are looking for 2 or more years experience, they are not currently hiring, or no response at all.  I was just wondering if anyone could offer any advice as to how to go about getting a foot in the door.  I am getting really discouraged and this process is so grueling!! ...

Having Hard Time Finding A Job As An MT
Sep 29, 2010

Hi everyone my name is Amanda and I have recently completed a MT course.  I am finding it very difficult to find work...I have completed several applications and keep getting emails that say they are looking for more experience, they are not currently hiring, or I get no response at all. I am just looking for some advice from anyone if they have any suggestions about getting into a job. This process is very grueling! ...

How Hard Is It To Hang Up A Phone, Really?
Oct 05, 2010

My ears get so tired of all the banging the doctors do just trying to hang up the dang phone!  I also get tired with all the time I waste having to listen to how nurse Betty's weekend was because the doctor just laid the phone down for 20 minutes instead of hanging up!   ...

Now Transcription Is Hard To Apply To
Jan 22, 2011

I went to their website where I tried to follow directions.  They make it impossible.  They ("Now Transcription") want you to fill out an application through "Accord Human Resources", then save it and email it to them along with your resume.  But the application will not allow anyone to save it, or submit it anywhere as is.  You basically waste your time filling it out just to find out nothing you filled out will be saved.  And there's a huge glitch with the em ...

I Can't Believe I Worked So Hard For So Little Money.
May 20, 2011

I even did overtime and it didn't make a difference in my take home. Maybe it knocked me into a tax bracket :( So much for being rewarded for hard work. I'm going to have to calculate how much extra I can do before it is counterproductive. I had to do that in the past when I worked for a place that actually paid incentive. I discovered that, at a certain line count, I would start losing money. ...

Partitioned Hard Drive
Oct 04, 2011

My old computer is 10-years old and has given me a blue screen 3 times when I am in AOL only.  My computer guy has suggested a rebuilt computer with XP cause that's what I need, or a new computer with a partitioned hard drive.  Does anyone have an opinion on this?  I am not that informed to know if this would work well.  Any experience with or opinion on this would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance. ...

How Hard Is It To Learn ER Notes?
Jul 08, 2012

I have 6 years' experience doing acute care, rehab and clinic notes, how hard to you think it would be for me to pick up ER? ...