A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Getting in a rut working from home - ever experience this?

Posted: Mar 06, 2012

Becoming pretty much inactive, get up, login and work. Get off, turn on the TV and lay down or maybe spend a few hours on your favorite website. As far as making meals, they are far and few between because you eat in between working, breaks or just grab something totally unhealthy when you get off. Can go a couple of days without showering, lounging in pajamas, maybe groom and fix up once a week to go out for errands. House hold chores suffer because of lack thereof. My bedroom is a total disaster right now. Its like I do the bare minimum other than work. There are days and times where I hate to even get dressed to leave the house. Kinda like my life is sitting at this computer typing, watching TV, or surfing the internet and thats it. I have children, they are big girls though 22, 19, and 17 and my husband is locked up at the moment. I guess maybe when he gets home, I'll have a little bit more motivation. But right now, I really need some MOTIVATION to something besides work. I'm still young, barely 40.

Get moving! - tulip

[ In Reply To ..]
First off, take a shower! That's kind of....disgusting not to take a shower every day. And get dressed. Even if it's a pair of sweats and a cute hoodie. It will make you feel better. I always get fully dressed, hair and makeup, even if I do work from home. I would feel like a slob otherwise.

Instead of surfing the web on your downtime, get some of your cleaning done. Work for 45 minutes and go do laundry, dust, vacuum, tackle your bedroom during your break. Or go outside and get some fresh air.

Schedule time to eat. There are all sorts of easy make ahead meals you could do.

Life is a gift. Don't waste it tied to the computer. You are young and healthy!

Your right except for the web thing - more of a tv junky

[ In Reply To ..]
But your right about everything else. I just need some energy, been like this for about 2 months now. Hoping its just a phase, but will take your advice.

However, I have to work a straight shift. Cant afford to punch out or be away too long or else I have to make up time and not about to be spending my entire day working. Thanks for the advice.

sounds like me - noname

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow, I could have written that post! I've been doing this job for over 10 years and watched the pounds creep on, about a pound or two a year... doesn't sound like much but think about it... after 10 years you look and say what the heck happened! So now I'm trying to make time to work out. If I get up early I do it first thing in the morning... gets me energized and gets it off my to-do list for the day (by the way, another hazard of this job is that I don't set the alarm anymore. I wake up anywhere between 6:30 and 8:00). I have workout equipment, a treadmill, a bunch of DVDs like kickboxing and kettle bell workouts, and I got myself a Kinect for Christmas. This way I can mix it up every day so it's not boring.

I've also started getting up and moving around in between batches of jobs. While they're loading I'll go throw a load in the washer or rinse the dishes and put them in the dishwasher. When I think about bigger stuff I want to get done, I keep a list, adding things as I think of them. Then on a slow day or on the weekend, I can see what I want to get done.

I'm not saying it's easy, though. I've let myself get in this rut and it's hard to get back out of it. But right now I've run out of work so I'm going to go work out for 20 minutes and then I know I'll feel better afterwards. And then I'm going to start looking at that pile of filing that needs to get done.... then again, maybe I'll take a nap instead!

Good luck! Hope you can find something to get you out of your rut!

Yes the weight gain - forgot to mention that.

[ In Reply To ..]
That has posed a problem to because of the inactivity. Going from sitting at the computer working to laying down watching TV. The only exercise I get some days is going up and down the stairs.

The laundry obviously isn't a problem, since I dont go out but a couple times a week I dont dirty many clothes and I usually make a sink full of hot soapy water and soak the dishes, then pre-wash and stick in the dishwasher. Everything else stays pretty orderlie, but my BEDROOM...I actually work in my bedroom too so spend a lot of time in here, you would think I could keep it in order, but the minute I get it cleaned up, it's right back to being a mess a few days later.

Part of the problem has been my sleep habits. I have had a tendency to suffer from insomnia off and on for years and when I dont sleep Im no good. This past week has gotten better as far as sleep schedule goes so I got up at like 4:30 this morning, worked an hour (mandatory 1hr OT) so that I can get off at a decent hour this evening, typically work 11am to 7pm but with mandatory hr extra not off till 8pm or later.

Anyway, I am rambling. Im gonna wash my hair and shower and try to pick up my room before I have to punch back in at 11am. Hopefully the rest of the week will be as productive i.e. able to sleep at night, getting up early, getting my mandatory hour extra in, and having time for other stuff.

Besides getting off at 8pm or 8:30pm tired, but unable to sleep or do anything. Sorry for rambling on...thanks for feedback.

oh yeah, the insomnia! - noname

[ In Reply To ..]
I've had that for years. Part of the reason I wanted to work at home. I hated being stuck in an office all day on 3 hours' sleep and no chance for a nap!

Now that I've hit menopause, it's gotten much worse (see what you have to look forward to!). Sometimes I will get up at 3 am and work for an hour or so, then go back to bed. Well, I see I have a job now, so back to work while I'm still wide awake!

Suggestions - WorkingAtHomeToo

[ In Reply To ..]
What about changing your shift? Sometimes, those mid-day to late evening shifts can mess up everything. If you can, see about that, too. I find early morning shifts help. I don't work this shift now, but I'm hoping to work it soon. (I work 8:30-5 now), but ideally, I would love to work from 3 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. shift, that way, I still get in plenty of sleep at night, and am also done with work early enough to get a lot done through the rest of the day. Exercise will also help you get out the rut. Also agree with writing down lists of things to do one at a time throughout the day over the week and make a goal to complete bigger tasks for the weekend. Hope this helps.
Suggestions - Thanks yes that helps, but cant - change my shift at the moment.
[ In Reply To ..]
I actually got off on time tonight because I was up at 4:30am and worked one hour to get my mandatory 1hr OT in, so finally got off at 7pm for the first time in weeks.

Feels good, think thats part of what has been contributing to my insomnia as well. The list is a good idea, I am going to do that. Maybe if I just put down one thing at a time and tackle that instead of looking at the big picture, I will get somewhere and I am speaking in terms of my bedroom; thats where my trouble lies.

And yes, the mid-day shift can put somewhat of a damper on you when it comes to getting things done, especially if they are mandating you to do an hour extra until further notice.

Thanks for all the tips guys!
Move your work area from the bedroom if you can - Happy MT Robin
[ In Reply To ..]
I know that's not always possible for people, but studies have shown that if you do anything in your sleep area other than sleep or intimacies, you are creating a pattern that you are not supposed to sleep when you are in there.

Good luck to you. This job definitely is hard on the bum and waistline. You sound like you're dealing with a little bit of depression and movement and exercise will help that tremendously. As others have said, get up and take a shower and get dressed every day and then when you take a lunch break go outside and walk around the block and get some sunshine and vitamin D. And yes, you MUST take a lunch break of at least 30 minutes, otherwise your productivity is just nil. Get yourself moving some way, some how. It will make a huge difference for you.
I never have a moment's hesitation falling - asleep at the end of the day - /sm/
[ In Reply To ..]
and my office is directly under my loft bed. If I get sleepy, I toss a No-Doz down my throat and keep on truckin. And even with all that caffeine coursing through my system, at the end of the day, all I have to do is about 10-15 minutes of "window-shopping" on eBay, and my eyelids grow heavy. Once I climb up into bed, I'm usually asleep within 10 minutes.

My only other option would be to have the office in the dining nook in the kitchen - the coldest, draftiest, noisiest room in the house, right next to my washer and dryer.

My biggest hinderance to working sometimes is all the other, more interesting stuff on the internet that I'd rather be looking at than a bunch of boring, repetitive medical reports.

Thank you, maybe not a good idea to have - work area in bedroom.
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I think there has been a bit of depression even though I am on medication for anxiety and depression. I have had an overwhelming amount of things going on lately. The biggest of which is loosing my hospital job of 9 years two months ago.

I am getting better and adjusting though. Starting to see myself progressing and making a bit more more than I had been in the begining. The company that acquired our dept has given me an increase with my VR rate, so that's helped quite a bit.

I was kinda freaked out at first because I have always made so much money ya know? and I just went from a nice cushiony hourly rate with incentive with cents per line. But I'm adjusting.

Thank you so much to all of you for the great feedback, I really appreciate it!

I've been in that rut lately. - meggy

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't know if it's hormones or the job/money situation or what. I feel like I don't have the energy or desire to do anything. I have PMDD and am on meds for that but I think it's getting worse, probably because I'm entering menopause (I'm 48). So I'm going to get to the doctor for a checkup and hopefully tweak my meds and hope for the best.

Nice to know I'm not alone - PMDD will do it to you too.

[ In Reply To ..]
Not in menopause yet, but suffer from PMS every month so know what thats like. Add that in with working from home, not having to leave your house, stress, strapped for cash etc. and there is the answer to your lack of motivation.

I hope all works out well for the both of us and we get back on track and be able to keep a decent rhythm and flow going. Also they have vitamins for women going through menopause if you haven't already tried those and by all means see what your doctor an do about adjusting your meds.

I have been on Lexapro on and off for about 10 years and just recently swtiched to Celexa because its cheaper like 6 months ago, I dont worry about much of anything being on that stuff, but concerns me a bit because sometimes when I should be worried I'm not. Any, yeah, talk with your doc and see what he can do..Good Luck!!

PMDD is the pits. I always knew something - meggy

[ In Reply To ..]
wasn't right with my mood swings but I didn't get diagnosed until I was 36. I'm on 15 mg Lexapro now with 150 mg Wellbutrin and had been doing fine for years until recently.

I think I'm entering menopause b/c I'm having hot flashes and night sweats and the PMDD is substantially worse, but my period unfortunately arrives like clockwork every month. I have a checkup appt scheduled for next month so I'll see if she can run some tests to see where I'm at. I'll definitely check into those vitamins, too.

I'm feeling a little bit better but I'm wondering if I might be happier working outside the home and having a steady income. I don't really want to have to worry about childcare, professional wardrobe, fuel expenses and office politics, but I'm feeling really board and unproductive these days.

Thanks so much for your input and to the OP for starting this thread, I feel much less alone! Best of luck to you as well!

HA...my record is 13 days w/o a shower/shampoo - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
but I'm 60 and only have cats. I decided if my car breaks down, I probably won't even fix it. The Internet is kinda like Alice's Restaurant...you can get anything you want.

How long until your husband comes home? You need to find a walking buddy or a hobby. I can go to a senior center to play bridge or canasta. Do you like cards? Are there any art classes. It would depend on the size of your community.

Please get out of your rut and don't turn out like me in 20 yrs.

My husband will be home in 5 months - Thanks God and mean really.

[ In Reply To ..]
That man is my best friend and I miss him to death. I do things with my girls sometimes on my days off though. My oldest daughter came over Sunday and made dinner for everyone and she and I usually do a lot of our shopping and running around together. I do a lot with my daughters on my days off, but they have their own lives too ya know.

At any rate, I am working on getting myself together. Im so glad I started this thread, I have gotten lots of nice feedback. Your comments mean a lot to me and many good suggestions.

Yep, same here... - blondie

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm pretty inactive. I've been telling myself I need to start walking everyday or something. When I get off the computer I too just want to lay on the couch and watch TV. Also spend a lot of time on internet. I don't cook too much either, but I try to make myself cook sometimes. I totally know what you mean about lounging in pj's all day. Pretty much everything you mentioned is the same here except for the husband being locked up part.

Working at-home is hazardous to your health - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
SO easy to sit and eat all day, from the stress of getting your lines in...I mean, cookies, candy, cake...absurd, like a 6-year-old girl at a pretend tea party, with the tiny tea cups and saucers...those porcelain tea sets when I was little...the stress...unbelievable. That is why I'm getting the h*** out of MT'ing...I'm scared shitl**, but yesterday was wonderful, I walked my MT a** off, I walked over to a park I didn't even know you could GET to by walking...and I've lived here years. And today it's supposed to be 65 degrees!

As a 50+ worker reentering "the world of work" - doesn't help to have that "MT spread" or "MT arms" - anybody hearing me? It is a great pleasure to walk one's a** off...leaving behind 15, 20 years of sitting there, stewing in your juices, listening, paying attention, focusing, concentrating...and getting paid what an Olive Garden server might get paid now!

Sign me, getting in touch with my inner streetfigher/streetwalker/kickboxer -

*end of my rant*

Similar Messages:

Working From Home?
Dec 01, 2009

Hello,   Im just finishing up a medical transcription course/certification program with Allied schools, and I was wondering if there are any of you MT's working from home or are most of you working in a hospital?  Also have any of you done the online certifications and if you did how did you get some experience under your belt to help you with the job?  I was a veterinary technician for years, so I sort of knew what I was getting into, but it has turned out to be a little mo ...

What I Don't Like About Working At Home Right
Mar 02, 2010

now is that I would really love to tell somebody off!! Yes, I know that may sound childish, but this company has put my stress level through the roof, my blood pressure through the roof, and their BS has me so pissed off, if I were in an office where they were I would find great satisfaction in letting them have it verbally, not in writing.  Yes, I would be fired on the spot, but it would be so worth it.  It's just not the same when they don't have to face someone in person.& ...

Working At Home
Mar 09, 2010

Everyone says "I would love to work from home".  Working from home has been having negative effects on me.  I've been doing this for 12 years.  I never used to have anxiety or depression.  Now, I do.  This job is so isolating.  I'm sick and tired of staying home in my PJs.  I try to get out of the house as much as possible, but little trips to the grocery store is not cutting it.  I get depressed staying home all the time.  I lack a social l ...

What I Like About Working At Home
Nov 17, 2012

Cocktail hour.   ...

Moms Of Little Ones And Working At Home
Dec 17, 2009

For all you moms to little ones, have any of you found the best time to work from home?? Late at night? Early in morning? Hire a sitter? What works best? Thanks in advance. Just want some opinions and possibly helpful insight. ...

Do You Get Dressed For Your Day At Home Working?
Jan 22, 2010

For years, I NEVER got dressed.  Worked in sweats, pulled my hair back and that was it.  For the past six months or so, I get completely dressed, put on makeup, and for some reason, I feel A LOT better now and enjoy my work more!  That sounds crazy, I agree, but ws wondering how many get dressed to start their day and how many roll out of bed and into the computer chair.  Oh, but I am NOT able to wear shoes though, lol, I can't seem to work my foot pedal with them on:) ...

Anyone Take An Outside Job After Working At Home For Years?
Jan 28, 2010

A month or so ago, I sent a resume for a medical/legal transcription position locally and forgot all about it until they called today! Being in the middle of an op report, I wasn't thinking and said yes to an interview on Monday. I haven't worked outside the home in 15 years! I don't really have anything to wear in a lawyer's practice anymore. I don't know if I should cancel the interview or go.  Will I be able to handle working outside the home again? A ...

What Can I Deduct Working From Home?
Jan 28, 2010

For those who have filed taxes, can you give me some insight as to what I can write off on my taxes being self-employed? Any suggestions and advice would be most apprecieated. ...

Questions About Working From Home
Feb 04, 2011

I have a few questions about working from home.  I have a full-time job as a transcriptionist for a hospital, but I have recently applied to a company to do transcription from home, part-time.  I get paid an hourly wage at my job, but the company pays by the dictated minute, and I am not sure if it is a good wage.  They have a minimum requirement of 200 dictated minutes per week, and the pay is $1.15 per dictated minute.  If anyone who works from home could let me know if thi ...

Working With A New Baby At Home....
Mar 15, 2011

Hi all :)   I wondered if I might be able to get some advice from those of you who have worked from home with a new baby.  My baby was born in February and I'm due to start back to work soon.  I have an older boy, but I worked outside the home with him.  My baby is breast fed, which makes me wonder about how you handled frequent feedings.  Also, I wanted to know what you used if you needed to keep typing but be able to hold the baby as well.  I thought I would ...

Anyone Who DOESN'T Like Working At Home?
May 17, 2014

just wondering if I'm the only one.   Even though I dearly love being an MT. Reasons being ... Feel like I don't even know how to have a face-to-face conversation with people anymore.  SO bad for one's health, sitting all day.  Feel trapped in my house. Stressed because I have to maintain my equipment -- I don't understand computer functions, so need others' help when fix-ups need to be made (kids, husband).  Kind of like that one subject ev ...

Question About Working Out Of Home - Sm
Apr 17, 2015

Does anyone know if I can take off during part of the year and still work "from home" but using Wifi somewhere like a campsite for a few months? ...

Social Contact And Working At Home
Jan 21, 2010

I'm strongly considering working at home. Do any of you who work at home have tips on balancing out the long hours working alone with having social contact, especially those of you who live alone or live with one other person?  I'm already an introvert to an extent but I'm nervous of the fact that if I work at home, I may become a hermit.  ...

Type Of Computer For Working At Home??
Apr 26, 2010

I am needing to replace my computer-- my desktop is so slow it is really nonfunctional and I fried my laptop.  My question is, I would prefer to buy another laptop but if I wanted to do work from home, does a laptop really suffice?  Is it possible to hook up a wireless mouse and real keyboard to it, and is it possible to connect a foot pedal to it?  If not, I will need to look at desktops.     Thanks for any advice anyone can give out there! ...

At-home Professions, Working, Unions And Everything Else.
May 28, 2010

hey all, I am half way done with at-home professions. (I am starting the 4th part real soon) And now I am having real serious doubts as to whether I am going in the right direction. I am not really worried about how I will handle the problems of working at home. (loneliness wont bother me, I have a pet lizard to keep me company.)  Is there anyone here who has done the at-home professions course and hooked a job?  Is there some kind of union or association for MT's? I know at ho ...

Working At Home With Small Children
Jan 30, 2011

For all of you MTs who have smaller kids (elem. schoolage and younger), how do you manage your hours? I have a preschooler and another one 2nd grade and I'm currently working second shift, but this isn't working out too well with all the "family stuff" that needs to be done like getting dinner, giving baths, helping with homework, just routine stuff.  The problem is there's really not enough work for me to work 1st shift and I've been in this business long enough to ...

Question About Working Away From Home Occasionally.
Feb 02, 2012

My mother is getting pretty old and sickly, has CHF among other things.  One of my sisters is already bearing more than her share of responsibility taking care of mom, but she lives the closest. Still, in the very near future, the rest of us are going to have to rotate in and out of taking care of mom, so it's spread out more equally. My question:  If I already use a PC with a DSL line at home, and plan to visit mom for a week once every 4-5 weeks, and be able to work from h ...

Laid Off. Questions Regarding Working At Home
Apr 30, 2013

I was laid off from my part-tme MT position.  I have 30+ years experience in acute care transcription.  I am researching what MT companies, if any, provide equipment.  I also prefer a company that does straight transcription, acute care.  I have a laptop but prefer not to use it.  If need be, I would purchase a desktop.  I have wireless.  I do not have experience with VR.  Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.     ...

Working With Young Kids At Home
May 30, 2013

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to work at home with 2 small kids, under age of 3.  Losing a babysitter and have no other options.  I have done it before but not for long periods of time.  Any helpful hints or suggestions would be appreciated. ...

Do You Wear Headphones Working At Home?
Sep 20, 2013

I just saw the other question re headphones and wondered how many use them working at home?  I'm home alone while I'm working and just never thought to use them. I also seem to be able to hear better through the speakers.  If you do use them, is it because you have better quality with them? ...

After 10 Years Of MT, Finally Working Outside Of Home Again
Sep 27, 2013

Got an office job 3 days a week making $15 hour, still will do Mt prn, but won't have to stress anymore about my lines. I am glad I got to stay home with my kids over those years, but if I had to do it again, I would of stayed working. The financial stress that me and my family went through, bankruptcy, never having money to do anything fun, no vacations. I don't think it was worth it. Oh well, they tried to tell us in MT school back in 2001 there was talk of VR then, now its EMR a ...

Move From Working At Home To The Outside World
Dec 18, 2013

Has anyone who worked from home and now works outside had trouble adjusting? I'm working outside again after being MT from home and I'm still in adjustment mode. Currently I work in a medical office (not an MT). It's nice to be able to move around after having sit at a computer all day, but there are times I just wish I sat at a computer instead of up and down and around the office. I liked having less people contact when I worked from home, less drama, and especially less off ...

Working From Home Medical Transcription
May 21, 2014

I have put together a list of work-at-home companies, some transcription but I tried to not include companies you would already see on this site, and some not.  I cannot vouch for any of these companies but I did get them from 2 different sites that were said to be reliable (i.e., not schemes).  Please reply by email if you would like me to email you my list.   ...

Do You Try To Dress Somewhat Professionally When Working At Home?
Dec 22, 2014

Or just stay as comfortable as possible? I usually try to stay somewhat professional as it just seems to make me feel a little more in working mode.  Some days are just sweat pants type days.  Especially with the colder weather coming up, I tend to be more interested in just staying warm and comfortable. ...

Medical Transcription Working From Home
Jan 21, 2015

i am currrently in school how hard is it to get a job from home in transcription or coding? ...

Possible To Finish Coding Course, Then Start Working At Home?
Jul 03, 2010

Is it possible to finish a coding course and then start working from home? I don't want to work in house.   ...

Hertz Rent A Car Hired Me Working From Home!!!
Apr 13, 2014

I was determined to find something else and I did and it is still working from home...10.25 an hour to start with bonuses, incentives and excellent benefits....I start training Tuesday... whoo hooo!! ...

Health Insurance Agent Working From Home.
Jan 06, 2015

I just got off the phone with my health insurance company agent at HealthLink.  She is working from home!  I should have asked what qualifications someone need to do this line of work, but didn't think to ask at that time.  I wonder if coding or transcription/medical terminology experience would be a requirement.  I had called to ask how much my deductible will be for an upcoming outpatient surgery.  She was able to look at my account and tell me the deductible amou ...

How Hard Is It To Realize That Even Thogh I Am At Home, I"M WORKING!!
Jun 03, 2010

Sorry just had to let it out...ty for listening to my scream lol ...

In Word 2003, My Ctrl+Home Quit Working. Can Anyone Help Me With Getting It
Jul 12, 2011

xx ...