A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

9-11 GOD BLESS AMERICA, NEVER FORGET - sm

Posted: Sep 11, 2011

10 years ago today, I was sitting at my desk working as usual.  I get a phone call from my boyfriend (2nd in command of PD here in LV) frantically asking me if I'm okay.  I'm like what?  I'm working why wouldn't I be?  He asked I if had heard anything, to which I again said no, I am working.  He told me to turn on the TV.  I did and was absolutely HORRIFIED!  That conversation, that moment, that realization of what had happened completely changed me as a human being.  I was angry beyond words and absolutely saddened to the depth of my being watching everything unfold.  As the hours went on, one day turned into the next following this horrific tragedy, I noticed my America around me come together united as one.  This is Las Vegas and it is not that type of town - I was amazed and very thankful.

I took my father's huge American Flag the military had given me 10 years prior at his death and hung it from the rooftop of my 2-story home 24 hours a day, every day for one year, with a light shining up on it at night.  After the first week, I came out to check the mail and when I turned around, there was a anonymous note with an envelope taped to my garage door, thanking me for hanging the flag for America.  Inside the envelope was a note and $50 "to help pay for the electric bill to keep her lighted."  I started bawling my eyes out.  Two days later, I came out again and there were hand drawn & colored pictures from several anonymous children also taped to my garage door - their renditions of America and what they were feeling. 

I also noticed in my community people were saying hello as they passed you in the grocery store.  They were holding doors open for each other, letting elderly or handicapped people cut in line ahead of them.  There was kindness and compassion everywhere I turned.  Genuine and from the heart.  We were all unified and came together to help each other heal and try to cope with this unimaginable tragedy that happened to all of us - even if we had no one perish in at WTC, on Flight 93 or at the Pentagon.  We were a Nation grieving.

I go every year to my local fire dept for the anniversary moments of silence and bell tolling.  I have never forgotten and never will, no matter how much time has gone on. 

I have seen through the years the memory fade for so many.  Everyone has gone back to "me" and not "us."  The compassion and kindess has fallen away, too - not just where I live, but on this board as well.  I come to this board every day and I rarely see a shred of kindness or compassion shown to anyone by anyone.  It's a very sad thing to see, especially on this board as we are a "nation" of transcriptionists all looking to achieve the same thing.  But all I see is the tearing down of each other for reasons I can't grasp.  We need to stand together shoulder to shoulder and help each other, not anonymously stomp someone down who may already be the theri lowest.

I saw a reply to a post just a few minutes ago where the reply was short and condescending.  Really?  That person must've forgot.

GOD BLESS AMERICA - NEVER FORGET

God Bless America, Never Forget - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I remember precisely where I was. I was still asleep (I was working for the Q at the time and worked late). Anyway, PST is three hours difference from EST and this friend called me and told me some planes had flown into buildings in NYC. At first I thought it was some kind of sick joke and as I woke up, I kept saying to her "This is a joke, right?" And she said "Turn on your TV." I have never been the same since. God bless America!

Thank you for your post - God Bless the USA - mamt

[ In Reply To ..]
There are still some kind people in this world!

This is the company board - you must have forgotten

[ In Reply To ..]
There have been multiple tragedies over the years but we don't indulge in week long morbid viewing of it over and over with the mantra "never forget" when the reality is most forget once the "celebration" is over.

American terrorism kills many every single day, where are the tears for those dead?

my bad- main board but same message - you must have forgotten

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Alas, and then there are the negative Nellies... - mamt

[ In Reply To ..]
Sad, IMO.

Not a negative post - she had a good point - hmmm - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Thank you for your reply - I agree and disagree to some extent - hmmm

[ In Reply To ..]
You have a good point, but I have mixed feelings. As I was reading some of the posts today of people writing they knew where they were the exact moment it happened and the exact conversation they had word for word, I thought, yeah, I know where I was too, but I don't dwell on that.

I have to state 911 was such a horrific and sobering moment. Maybe sobering is not the right word. I can't think of a word that's worse than horrific. Today as I watched over and over and over and over the horrible tragedy that happened 10 years ago I get the same sick feeling. But it started days ago with being barraged by the same things over and over. I'm sorry, but watching it 10 years ago was horrific. Watching it for 2 days 24/hours a day over and over and over. Watching the towers come down for the 100th time while being fed this "you have to watch it. Never forget" I thought, no of course I will never forget, but I don't need people telling me that. No I'll never forget. Nobody will.

Watching this almost feels like an insult to the memory of the people killed on that day. Every year this goes on. Until all the people who masterminded the whole thing are caught it's just feels like an insult to their memories. Somehow I don't think they are at a place saying, yeah, the anniversary is coming up you all need to relieve this again.

You are correct. There have been multiple tragedies over the years. Don't get me wrong, what happened 10 years ago is horrific and I still cry when I think of those poor people that died and trying to imagine what they were going through makes me feel like I'm going to be sick from such sadness for them and their families.

I'd like to know where are the memorials for all the other innocent victims not associated with 911. Others who have died horrible deaths. It's like people have forgotten them. Where are yearly week long memorial services for the brave service men and women who die in battle. Where is the services each year for the Oklahoma City victims. It's like people have forgotten them.

What I hope now is that the memorial site finished, this can finally come to an end. The family's of the victims can heal. We will never forget that horrible horrible day, but we don't need people telling us "never forget". I just hope that America has learned how to be safer and not let something like this happen again.

The one thing I can say that I do understand - about there being a lot

[ In Reply To ..]
of coverage on it is that there are people who don't remember it very well but are very interested in it. My older children were 4 and 4 months when it happened, and they were pretty interested in what they were showing over the weekend. My 10-year-old son wanted to watch that over his cartoons or X-Box, which is saying a lot. So, I do understand that maybe they can run it into the ground, but for my family, it was things that we actually did watch, things that I haven't been able to watch in the past.

As far as the Oklahoma bombing, yes it is sad that we don't do more on it, but 911 was the time I realized that people attacking America was possibility. It is just one of those things people are going to remember differently as there were huge planes crashing into very well known buildings.

I personally think a lot need to be told to never forget as we have troops fighting a war that started with this. There was a lot of patriotism that most of America had directly after, that now 10 years later isn't quite as evident.

Thank you, - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I was just telling my husband that I must be Un-American because I am sick of it. Yes it was a tragedy, but there have been a lot of tragedies since then. I think on the morning of 9/11, they could say something on the World News about it being the anniversary of the tragedy and then let it go, just like they do with a lot of bad things that have happened.

Thank you for the wonderful post. I appreciate it. - yochana

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

On the eve of 911 - Here is a beautiful end to the day - Hmmm

[ In Reply To ..]
While today was a very sad day indeed and I found myself in tears a lot. One cannot even imagine the horror of the victims. After such a sad day I needed to find something beautiful and I think this is is. If anyone is familiar with Celtic Women, their voices are angelic. Here is a video of them singing Amazing Grace. I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did. Sorry but there is a commercial before it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsCp5LG_zNE&feature=fvsr

Remember - Cheesey

[ In Reply To ..]
I remember where I was. I'll never forget. Nobody will. Ask them on December 2, 2012 and they'll remember. Ask them on February 16th 2026 and they'll remember.

You don't need to say "never forget"...I don't believe anybody who watched it can.

I didn't turn the TV on on 9/11 because I just didn't want to see any of it. I watched football, and their moment of silence was enough. I went to work and afterwords climbed into bed. I habitually turn on the TV and have it on while I fall asleep. I mistakenly turned to the history channel where they showed people's documentations of it. It was just raw.

I found myself wide-eyed and tooned it. I couldn't look away. I watched for 2 hours straight...in horror all over again.

I find it amazing how much I'm affected by it. I live in Illinois. I was around 12 years old when it happened. I was in school...just arrived in my class to see people watching the TV. I saw the second plane hit. I had no idea what the World Trade Center was or where it was located. The principal made us turn off the TVs and go back to school.

That was it for me...and yet I'm still so deeply impacted by the raw images. It is RARE to have so much video coverage like that...too have so much documentation of not only the events unfolding but the emotions of the people currently enduring it.

9/11 is not comparable to anything else. All deaths are tragic, but stating that we should be in constant mourning because people die everyday is just a stupid thing to say.

If people were dying every day by being trapped in high rises, burning alive, forced to jump out of the window to their deaths or ultimately dying after the high rise collapses...then...then I'll say it's no big deal as these things happen every day. But I don't see that happening...so don't even start with the "people die every day" crap.

Nobody is saying "we should be in constant mourning because people die everyday" - what they are saying is

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, it was such a horrific event. But we don't need the constant "never forget" mantra over and over and over and over and over, etc, etc. No we won't forget. Nobody will. But there are other tragic terrorist activities that have also happened and nobody is saying "never forget" and having yearly memorials. The whole event is on the internet and DVDs so people can watch it anytime they want. But there are also other terrorist events that happened, like the Oklahoma City incident. It's as though people have forgotten them. Did you see that? I did. I watched it live. It was horrifying. Yes I know where I was when that happened too. So many innocent people were killed. 168 were killed and 19 of the them were innocent children. The horror that people went through. I sat watching with tears rolling down my face a sick feeling as I watched firemen carry out burned bodies of babies and other people. So, no maybe it wasn't as grandiose as people jumping out of window, but it was nonetheless as horrifying, and to say one is not as important as the other is wrong. Both were horrifying, both were tragic, and I cried for the victims in both. Sure, the building was not as tall as the towers. I forget how many stories, but it was still tall. The fact is people tragically died a horrific and unexpected death. Or the marine barracks in 83 in Beruit. I also remember that one too. I believe 240 or so innocent people died unexpectedly and horrific.

So maybe you weren't old enough to remember the OKC incident, but it was just as horrific as the other. All terrorist based tragedies are as bad as the other. One is no more important then the other. They are all equally as important. When innocent victims tragically lose their lives (some knowing they are about to die) its tragic and horrifying and profoundly sad. To forget their memory just because another one happened that more people died in is just too sad beyond words. Just because it wasn't as "exciting" it was never the less as terrifying...so don't even start with the "911 is not comparable to anything else" crap because it is. When whole cities are terrified because of an event that happens, and the whole country watches in shock, it's important.

Um..ok - Cheesey

[ In Reply To ..]
Did you read what I wrote on the "never forget" stuff?

Seems we're on the same page with that.

And yes, there was a poster who said "terrorist activities happen everyday, yet we don't mourn for those."

You can not compare the large scale events of 9/11 and the Ok city bombing, etc. to the every day terrorists attacks. Every day attacks being IEDs or car bombs at check points. No way am I saying those aren't bad, but they are not comparable simple because people lost their lives. And saying that does not mean some lives are more important.

It is about the act, not the result.

That'd be like saying punching someone and running them over with a car is the same thing because the end result is someone getting hurt.

While both tragic, they're vastly different.

There's a reason people who punch people don't go to prison for attempted murder as opposed to those who run people over with a car.

Similar Messages:

S/l Bless (medication)?
Jul 14, 2010

The baby was intubated with premeds with a 3.5 ET tube. The O2 saturationcame up to a maximum of 82-83% on volume ventilator at a highish respiratory rate. Ahalf dose of Bless was then given (2.5 mL per kg). O2 saturation subsequently ...

Those That Think Pay Will Ever Go Up, Just Gotta Bless
Jan 30, 2011

x ...

Forget It.
Jul 21, 2010

Forget it!  I beyond .......  Not sure what I am going to do for the next 6 months.  Just want to finish school and get out of this profession. ...

What If I Forget
Sep 08, 2010

How long do you think I can get away with "forgetting" to do the 6.1 upgrade?  haha!  I've taken the video classes and have the codes, but I've been reading so many horrible things that I don't want to use it until the weekend, when I have time to "play" with it.  What do you think?  ...

Coronary Angiogram All You That Do Coronary God Bless You...Its Killing Me
May 21, 2010

By Avis or ovis criteria it was a very appropriate size stent. ...

Ever Forget How Much Transcriptionists Really Know?? Sm
Feb 25, 2010

I am training someone and I am now reminded how far I have come, how much I have learned, and the things I take for granted and assume others know.   Basic things, just proper English, not even taking into consideration the medical terminology.  Knowing whether a sentence makes sense or not.  We really should be paid better.  But it is nice to feel smart sometimes....and you know anyone who can do this job really does have to be pretty darn intelligent.   Fello ...

Okay, Forget The Poll. Must Be The Only One
Jul 24, 2010

Glad you all are doing great in your jobs and have work. ...

Don't Forget This Meeting!
Mar 13, 2012

March 19th at 12:00 pm Eastern, we will hold our first MT "All Hands" Webcast. Question:  What is the BOOST initiative?   ...

Dont Forget To
Nov 02, 2012

Since our TSM hasn't (doesn't ever) reminded us, thought I would ...

Is It Bad That I Don't Want To Tier Up And Just Want To Do My Job And Forget About It
Jun 07, 2013

This job has served me well for the purpose I intended. I was able to stay home with my kids while they were growing up and supplement the household income.  Now, after being with this company since 1994, I don't want to tier up or become an MME. I just want to do my job and then forget about it.  I am at the point now where I really want to retire as we don't need a supplemental income any longer.  I see all these new "opportunities" at MM and I just don't care to ...

I Forget--how Do We Log On To Enrich
Jan 22, 2014

Thanks in advance!!! ...

All Of You That Have Given Notice Or Will Be Soon, Please Do Not Forget
May 02, 2015

And tell the truth to unsuspecting MTs, consider it a public service to help people avoid bankruptcy and nervous breakdowns! I mean, really, don't you wish you had known the truth? ...

I Forget. How Are Classes Transcribed? Sm
Jan 18, 2012

Class four heart disease. ...

Don't Forget Time Change!
Mar 10, 2012

Spring forward tonight/wee early hours tomorrow! ...

Help! I Forget What ID And Password Is Used To Get Into MM For NJA Ticket! Sm
Jan 01, 2014

Can anyone help me? I'd rather not call my abbreviation and definitely don't want to call tech support.  Much appreciated and Happy New Year to all! ...

I Forget What Is The Procedure For System Down Again
Nov 03, 2014

Jobs stuck in upload ...

Those Who Forget The Past Are Condemned To Repeat It
Apr 28, 2015

I know I saw a post when the Swap Board first came back as to why it was stopped the first time.  I cannot find it now.  We have message that it is not working the way they wanted it to work.  Imagine that. ...

Hey, Forget All You Guys, I Am Writing Me One Heck Of An Essay.
Mar 22, 2010

Hey, MQ, Oh I love FRT this week, but after April 2, 2010 all bets are off baby!!!!!    I love FTR.  I love it.  No really.  I do.  I like it because, um, it is like a bright shiny star in the sky.  Or, um, maybe, I like it because it rolls like a bowling ball!!  Yeah!! That's the ticket!  Rollin along with FTR, like a bowling ball, like a pool ball, like the big blue ball that is earth, like the round ball classic, like the wheels on an 1 ...

Work Your Extra Hour... Dont Forget
Apr 29, 2015

Exactly how many days do they get?   ...

In Case You Forget That Nuance Is Not A Transcription Company At Its Core
Jul 16, 2014

I have to admit, I wasn't familiar with what "Ambulatory" transcription would entail, so I went searching on the internet and came across this PDF. It is a stark reminder that Nuance is not a transcription company.  They are a technology company, a speech recognition company, and we are all test subjects to make their speech engine better (through the thousands of doctors dictating and all of our editing).  They don't want to use transcriptionsits to do their work. They wan ...

In Case Anyone Forget... Sunday Morning At 2 Am Eastern Time Is DQS Maintenance...
Dec 06, 2009

Last time I forgot and lost a really long report.  Pacific Time 11 pm, in 10 minutes! ...

SPi America
Jan 31, 2010

Is anyone familiar with SPi, does anyone work there currently? how are they, are they hiring??? ...

Anybody Else Here From SPi America?
Sep 21, 2011

No work.  No manager.  No info on switchover to Acusis.  Nothing.  Anybody else feel like they've been deserted? ...

Please, Please Given Information On DTS America....sm
Mar 15, 2010

I asked some questions below regarding DTS America and yet no answers.  I see there have been 97 onlookers.  Could someone please, please give me their experience, good or bad, with DTS America.  I am just looking for answers.  Ultimately I will make my own decision, but it is still good to communicate and learn of various experiences.  I have tested and tested and tested, and would definitely love to not waste my time with a company that is truly bogus.  I have ran ...

To MedTrans Of America
Mar 26, 2010

I was really interested in the position that you had until I read that you pay $.07/line with NO SPACES.  It honestly sounds like some great work that I would love to do, but unfortunately your pay is too low and doesn't include spaces.  Good luck! ...

Transcription-America.com
Oct 11, 2010

Can anyone tell me about the reputation of Transcription-America.com? They offer a training program if you buy their books for $60, and then their software equipment (foot pedal, software CD, etc.) for $495.  They claim everything else is free. ...

Anybody Else Ever Worked For DTS-America?
Nov 02, 2010

Has anybody else ever worked for DTS-America? ...

MedServ Of America
Nov 02, 2010

Has anyone heard from MedServ?  I sent my resume, received an email and have heard nothing else.  TIA. ...

Does Anybody Work For DTS-America?
Nov 03, 2010

Does anybody work for DTS-America? ...

DTS AMERICA - 12/07/2010
Dec 07, 2010

DTS America is posting for Radiology Transcriptionists, full-time, 2 shifts.  What is the latest with DTS?  ...