A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Last exam for Module I - student

Posted: Aug 20, 2012

So excited!  Submitted the last exam for Module I today - only 3 more modules to go.  I love, love, love school and am learning so much.  I hear CPT codes are clear as but, I will see how it goes before coming to that conclusion. 

oops - clear as mud - student

[ In Reply To ..]
meant to say clear as mud above (grin)

Module I of what? - x

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

coding course I'm taking, nm - student

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

CPT code clarity depends on you - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Seriously, CPT codes are not as horrible as they are made out to be. At first, just about anything is confusing. Same with CPT.

One thing that is not immediately clear from textbooks -- you know they don't like to say anything BAD -- is that the index in CPT is not very good. That's ok, because you are NOT expected to USE IT like you use the index in ICD-9.

In ICD-9, you must use the alphabetic index to find your code, then you check it in the tabular list. If you are properly trained in ICD-9, you will do this without thinking. Many students then go right into CPT thinking they still need to do that.

With CPT, however, you could still find codes if you had no index at all. You can tear out all those pages and never miss them. That is because CPT codes are organized by specialty. Within each specialty, they are organized further by what the procedure is or does.

Once you have an idea of that layout, you can just flip around to find what you want.

If you try to use the index, though, you can have problems if you do something like look up colotomy and stop too soon at colectomy. (Spelling counts!) Or, you can be coding a knee joint injection, look up injection, and blindly code an injection for a flu vaccine, not realizing that a joint injection is somewhere else entirely. And is an aspiration. So, you have to know how something will be listed in the index before you can find it successfully. On the other hand, you might have better luck if you also just rummaged through the pages of codes.

One classic idea that coders seem to miss is that there may be a bunch of miscellaneous codes at the end of the section or group. Don't select a code until you look there. This is especially true in the anesthesia section.

Another issue in CPT is all that text. For some reason, students and lots of coders think all that colored text is just idle blathering. You know, kind of like the preface and introduction to a book. Nobody reads those, and few coders read all that colored text.

You should, though, because that is where CPT tells you its rules and assumptions. That's where it tells you how to use the codes. Textbooks often explain that stuff, but students think the textbook is pulling it out of a hat. They aren't, though. It's coming straight out of the code book.

Read that material, outline it, and apply it. It will make things much more clear.

Another classic stumbling point is the layout of the codes. Be sure you find and learn what those indentations and the ; (semicolon) mean. I've seen coders with 10 years of experience who thought it was just odd punctuation, never realizing that it would have made code selection much more clear. (Some coders never even NOTICE it!)

In ICD-9, you might not have needed all those symbols. In CPT, you do. They impart valuable information.

Be careful about trying to go too fast. Avoid falling prey to the belief that if you don't take a shortcut with the index instead of looking in the pages, you won't go fast enough to pass a certification exam. If you find your codes by looking through the pages now, you'll be fast enough by test time, and you'll be more accurate. You'll also be immune to freaky questions on tests that were written because they know you can't find it in the index.

The only real issue is Evaluation and Management Codes. That is because the CPT book has one way to level the service. CMS didn't think that was objective enough, so they cooked up more rules. Two years later, they cooked up another set of rules. Many coders are unable to sort these out. Textbooks begin right away by confusing things with the CMS rules. Avoid getting embroiled in that mess until you are comfortable with just what is in the CPT book itself.

Be sure that you are using the CPT definition of terms, too. New and established patients, consultations and referral for care, observation care, etc. They are not necessarily what you think they are. You have to learn those definitions cold and then use them. That is the only way you can select the right group of codes.

Most MTs do well in CPT because they know what the procedures are. They understand that an office or hospital visit results in an office note, a consult note, or an H&P or discharge summary, and they know what the parts of those are. They also know what happens in procedures, especially if they transcribed operative or procedure notes.

So, in many respects, the clarity of CPT codes depends on you. It depends on how well you read, on what you read, on how careful you are, on your attention to detail, and on your willingness to avoid rushing.

Even with that, they may confuse you at first. The more you work with them, the easier they become. Working with them and sorting them out is how you become able to use them. Figure them out. Learn the rules. Make them yours. When you do, they'll start looking more clear.

Oh, and read the codes literally. They say what they mean to say. Every so often a coder kind of dreamily asks "Oh, how do we know what that means? Why, it could mean this, or it could mean that, or . . . we just don't KNOW! "

No, this is not Jane Austen or Tolkien. There is no interpretive meaning hidden in there. We know exactly what it means. It means what it says. :) It really isn't all that complicated. You just have to read it for what it is. Some people have more trouble doing that than others. We let them be inpatient coders.

(No, not really. Inpatient coders have to read literally, too, and they need to be able to use CPT.)

Just be aware that the language in the codes is precise and every word has meaning. If you read them correctly, they are quite clear. You might have to struggle with them for a few days, but you will get there.

Oh, some code groups are notoriously difficult. Radiation oncology isn't particularly easy. Interventional radiology is actually kind of difficult, so don't get to those and freak out thinking you are a dud. It's the codes, not you. There are special courses to teach interventional radiology and cardiology, along with hideously expensive -- albeit excellent -- books. (Look up the Z-Health website and you'll see.)

Work hard and you'll do fine! In 4 months, you won't know why you thought it was so awful!

When I wrote that, I did put paragraphs in. - Sorry NM

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

thanks ;) - student

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question in such a way that I am put at ease and realize that it's not impossible, but it will be different and will be a learning process (like everything else, huh?). Have a good one.

Similar Messages:

For Other Andrews Students In Module III
May 18, 2012

Hi you all, I hope there are some students in module III who are in the case studies or have graduated that can answer my question.  I have just gotten into the intermediate case studies and am feeling totally LOST! I don't know if I am being intimidated or what.  The multiple choice ones I don't have any problem with, but when I have to code the cases without the choices i'm floundering!  It's funny how I thought I would remember a lot, but when it comes ...

Mandatory Learning Module
Oct 08, 2013

Anyone else get an email today requiring them to do a mandatory learning module? At least they're paying. ...

ADHI's Acute Care Module
Jan 29, 2012

I saw that ADHI offers an acute care module for those of us looking to get into acute care transcription. I have been doing OBGYN. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it worth it? ...

Any RAD MTs Who Use Viztek Opal Rad Dictation/Trans Module...I Have A Question.
Apr 21, 2015

I cannot seem to configure my foot pedal.  My foot pedal works, but I cannot seems to set the auto backspace.  I change it on the user settings screen and save it, but it doesn't actually save.  Anyone know how to do this? ...

AIIMS Exam Or AMES Exam
Sep 15, 2011

Doing a report for a counseling and recovery center. Dr. says.... AIIMS exam showed mild involuntary movement of upper extremities and t____ assessment. Is it AIMS exam or Ames exam. I am also unsure of the blank, it sounds like it starts with the letter T. Thank you Thank you in advance! ...

Eye Exam - Help, Please And Thanks!
Nov 11, 2009

External exam, pupillary exam, and slitlamp examination of the anterior segment are normal both eyes intact, all tension is normal both eyes.  Undilated funduscopic examination with a 90-diopter revealed a question of mild nerve s/l "fiber alla" edema.  ...

Help In MSK Exam
Nov 20, 2009

Lasègue sign is negative bilaterally, flare sign negative bilaterally, Rayberg maneuver negative.  I cannot find flare, so not sure if it is flare or flair.  Have no clue has to Rayberg maneuver.  Thanks. ...

Eye Exam Help And Thanks
Jan 05, 2010

Slitlamp exam is normal.  Intraocular pressure by tactile is normal.  On dilated funduscopic exam, cup-to-disc ratio is 0.15 with sharp margins in both eyes (s/l maculo splat).  Dilated funduscopic exam is within normal limits both eyes.    ...

Can Anyone Take The RMT Exam?
Mar 23, 2010

...or are there pre-reqs?  I've looked at the main ahdi website, I just wasn't sure if when they say that you have to "apply" if that means they will look at your experience and either accept or deny you or whether applying is simply a formality so they know you want to take the test.Also, if you've already taken the test, what were some of the toughest sections (for you personally)?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. ...

Exam Help
Apr 07, 2010

In the physical exam, the doctor says the following under the HEENT heading: Pupils are pinpoint and nonreactive.  Normal appearing sclera.  TMs are clear with good light reflection.  No s/l "battle sign".  Normal nasal exam with no polyps.   Help if you can please. ...

RMT Exam
Jan 19, 2011

I am ashamed to say that I took the RMT exam twice and failed the transcription part twice. I am horrified! So, here are my questions.  Am I the only one or are there any others of you in my shoes and how did you study for the exam? What study tools did you use? ...

OB/GYN Exam
Jul 14, 2011

REVIEW OF SYSTEMS___ was negative except for as HPI. (sounds like ten points) ...

GI Exam
Jun 25, 2013

During p/e, dr. says "abdomen is soft, distended with "capamedusa" present.... Could be tapa, kapa, Im duped.    ...

CPC Exam
Aug 09, 2014

Hi, I'm just wondering how many people have taken the CPC exam with AAPC and passed on their first try? If so, do you have any tips? My coding class ended in May, but I am just now able to sit for the exam. I will take it Sept 9th. I'm reviewing all my homework assignments, studying the practice exams on the AAPC website to prepare for the actual exam.  I find myself so stressed out with worry and anxiety that it is hard to concentrate. I'm also job seeking for anything in t ...

CPA Exam 9 Or 10?
Apr 23, 2015

I took coding as my wallet permitted payment and did not have any ICD 10 courses.  prob know the answer to this question but asking anyway:  Is the current CPA certification exam based on ICD 10 codes?  Has anyone taken this year? ...

Neck Exam..
Oct 15, 2009

All she says is: neck, erect of right midline, trachea... ...

Neuro Exam Help And Thanks
Oct 30, 2009

Her deep tendon reflexes are (1-2)(+) in the brachial s/l "ray alis", biceps, Achilles, and patellar tendons, and symmetric.   thanks! ...

Does This Sound Right? I've Never Had This On An Exam..
Nov 02, 2009

Visual fields are full to confrontation. ...

Heart Exam...
Nov 03, 2009

"Cardiovascular exam was tachycardiac. No s/l meals or an ST. No murmurs or gallops were appreciated." Any ideas? Thanks! ...

Physical Exam...
Nov 03, 2009

Extremities: 3+ edema. s/l kidneys bilaterally. What could "kidneys" be?   ...

Neuro Exam Sm
Nov 07, 2009

Cranial nerves II-XII grossly intact except for left facial s/l nerve lesion on central pathology. Does this make sense? ...

Reflex Exam
Dec 02, 2009

There is positive s/l bobocavernosis response elicited. ...

Vaginal Exam
Jan 07, 2010

On a vaginal exam, is it common to refer to an area as a "kissing area"? It sounds like I am hearing " She has 2 kissing areas that are both erythematous and very raw and inflamed. " Just wanting to double check. thanks for any help. ...

Pelvic Exam
Jan 07, 2010

Patient has no adnexal mass.  No s/l "balathal" mass, as well. I've typed this only a few times before.  Now my brain's fried and not helping me in the least. LOL Thanks in advance :) ...

S/l Exam Corlet
Jan 26, 2010

Although he does have left neuroforaminal stenosis at L2-3, on imaging, there is no exam corlet of same. ...

Believe This Is Under Lung Exam..
Feb 06, 2010

s/l "DE" was less than 2 cm bilaterally.  s/l "frem-a-tus" was okay. No s/l "E to A" changed were evident. ...

Breast Exam
Feb 17, 2010

Examination of the right breast reveals a 3 cm s/l  "REH-pree-ah" mobile mass... The "p" is distinct. Thanks for any suggestions. ...

Physical Exam.
Mar 08, 2010

Cardiovascular system:  Heart sounds regular.  No murmurs.  No gallops heard.  s/l "percussed" respiratory sounds masking the heart sounds.  Abdomen soft. Patient with URI symptoms.  Does this make sense in this context? Thanks! ...

Oropharynx Exam Help
Apr 09, 2010

Reveals a class 4 airway with no erythema or exudate noted.  Slight s/l "retrignaphy" is present.  Help if you can please! ...

Exam Of The Spine - Please Sm
Apr 12, 2010

Exam of the spine showed no s/l **hair or cutaneous lesions**.  Clinically well aligned.  Full ROM.   ...