A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Just got an email for - TiredMT

Posted: Oct 31, 2012

7 cents/line text and 3 cents/line speech rec for IC.  People, please DO NOT ACCEPT THESE OFFERS.  We MUST set a standard here and not accept these LOW PAYING jobs and force this industry to stop this!  PLEASE!

7 for straight, 3 for VR?!! - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree completely.

I agree - MeToo

[ In Reply To ..]
The reason these businesses are paying us these wages is b/c there are people who are doing it. If we would all band together and quit together/stop taking this pay, they would have to pay us more. They do need us, regardless of what a lot of you think.

If they can't get anybody to take... - TiredMT

[ In Reply To ..]
these low, low wages, like 7 and 3, they have to offer more so they can get the work done. After all, without MTs, no money at all!!!! Anyone accepting this kind of pay is only harming us all.

For those not aware of minimums, you SHOULD NOT be accepting anything less than 8 for text and 4 for speech, and that is not as an IC but employee with at least a few benefits.

This particular company that sent the email only hires IC and at 7 and 3 cents, SERIOUSLY!!!!!

However, it was a long time ago that I even sent the resume, say 2 months, and they just sent me the email, so they are fishing for someone to take their crappy bait-the very reason I even posted this - DON'T DO IT! THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!

Do I understand you correctly? - TMSOA

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you saying that ICs should not accept jobs paying less than 8 cpl (text)?

That's a little confusing to say the least. If a MTSO charges 10 cpl and pays the IC 8 cpl, that would leave the with just 2 cpl.

Something is not adding up. Can you please elaborate.

That's what I am saying...I don't care what - TiredMT

[ In Reply To ..]
the MTSO charges the client, if they quote the client at 10 cents knowing they hjave to pay an MT to actually do the work, then that is their problem, but I wouldn't do IC text for less than 9 cents a line actually, employee status maybe 8, bottom line. I wouldn't do speech for less than 4 minimum as IC. That's just me, but I think other ICs would agree cause we get no benefits, no PTO, no insurance, no nothing, just per line AND have to go to all the trouble to pay all the taxes on our own, which for some isn't easy.

So, what do you other ICs have to say?

well....I DO agree, but.....(there is always a but) - anon93

[ In Reply To ..]
when someone has NO job whatsoever and no income coming in, even 7 cpl is better than NO cpl, if you know what I mean. I have been in those shoes, struggling to get back on track and get an income coming in, and I too have seriously thought about taking the 7 cpl just to keep a roof over my head. I know it is not good for the rest of you and demeans the MT and their skill set, but I would have to do what is best for me given this type of situation. I don't see any of the "well off" MTs who always say how good they have it, offering to help any of us who do not have it so good, and it is not for lack of trying, it is not for lack of not "taking control of the situation," and all that other garbage they like to spout while they are sitting on their bags of money, but there are those of us who have nothing, suddenly, to EMR, VR, offshoring, punitive QA, you name it, and to those of us in that situation will take anything we can get. Perhaps the MTSOs know this and are taking advantage of it, which does not make it right by any means, but some people just have it worse than others, and to tell them not to take a position that is being offered, even at 7 cpl, is pretty presumptuous on your part. You have no idea what some of us are going through. We don't have the option of being "picky" right now. Sorry.

I agree..is this TCI Total Source email? - Halo

[ In Reply To ..]
I received an email from TCI Total Source yesterday indicating the same pay. Not only is the pay rate offensive, they listed exact times for you to work (1p-6p) and require mandatory rotating weekends.

If you have to take a job that pays this low, at least do so with a company who treats you as a true IC. I understand they may have needs to cover work at certain times, but they're not supposed to require you to pay your own taxes AND work strictu schedules....definitely not anything mandatory either.
Halo-It is the company you mentioned, although - TiredMT
[ In Reply To ..]
they aren't the only ones paying this low, and I do agree with what you said. I actually think they could have a labor problem "requiring" ICs to have strict hours, etc. Of course, this subject has been gone over many times and the MTSOs just do what they want anyway, cause they can.

Again, I will not work for 7 cents and 3 cents a line as IC-I will go on unemployment first and would probably make more. It is insulting!

In 1994 my MTSO charged 10 cpl and paid - her MTs 8 cpl. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
That was good enough for her (and others at the time, locally), especially when you have 8-10 IC MTs.

The MTs are the ones doing all the transcribing, research, data entry, interpreting, etc. This used to be "our" industry until the big corporations got wind of it and manipulated and/or intimidated all those earlier so-called "businesswomen" into selling themselves and US out. Yeah, I said it.

Edited to add: Oh, and we were ALL making GOOD money at that time, the MTSO and her MTs, and the clients were all really happy. Then a few years later, the big medical corporations took over the small medical groups, who ended up using the medical corporation's chosen MT corporation, who ended up paying their MTs sh!t.

Later on add the corporations' further quest to get the most work done for the least pay and we get into offshore outsourcing and then, of course, the technological advances of VR, which should've benefited the MT but ended up benefiting......you guessed it....not the working MTs but the MT corporations' CEOs!!

Guess I went off a little there haha My bitterness, however, still forces me say that if this was a "man's" business from the beginning, though, none of this would've ever happened to our PAY. No way.

Second edit to add: Oh, and I'm familiar with that email; I received it either yesterday or the day before, and they DO know why I took a pass.

Yea, I wrote them back too and said thanks, but no thanks! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

But now in 2012,... - buried

[ In Reply To ..]
That is now exactly what I get and pay, but now I have to provide the dictation equipment, corporate mail systems, phone lines, etc., etc., etc., and they want that dictation NOW. Unfortunately, MTsI had back in that time turned in 99-100% accuracy, and now I get..... 93 errors in one 2-page report on a clear English-speaking dictator... Go figure. That is how we are getting gobbled up by the bigger fish or going out of business unless we transcribe it all ourselves. Meanwhile, all our living and medical expenses have tripled.

It will stop on it's own soon enough. No one can live off those - wages and its not even a reasonable supplemental i

[ In Reply To ..]
Eventually the time will come where those jobs will either tapper off because people simply cannot afford to work for so little or they will all end up overseas. No one can live off those wages in the United States and even if you only did it for supplemental income, most companies want at least 24 hours a week and with rates like 7 and 3 cents per line, you would be better off at a fast-food resturant working just 20 hours a week and bringing in more money than that with only having to work 4 hours less.

I thought I would never accept 7 cpl - as a 30 year experienced MT

[ In Reply To ..]
However, I had option of going with 1 company who paid 8 cpl. Their medical/dental/vision was almost 300.00 a month, they offered 10,000 life insurance that you pay for, 10 PTO days for holidays, personal, sick, vacation and you had to use them within the same year. No shift diff, no weekend dif. THey offered 401k but no match. Their training pain was 9 cpl for 1 week. I opted for the other company who pays 7 cpl, medical and dental 60.00 a month, they pay for 30,000 life insurance, they offer 401k where they take out 3% from your check, they add 3% plus they give you 50cent on every dollar up to 8;p. You get almost 28 days a year PTO, they provide their own equipment and they have an incentive plan. Call me crazy, but I took it. In my opinion, that is a company who cares about its employees

Oops sorry for all the typos - typing in a hurry. See corrections below

[ In Reply To ..]
the 8 cpl company pays $9.00 hr training pay. The other company pays 12.00 hour training pay for 80 hours. They also average out your line rate over the course of 90 days and which ever is higher, that is how they pay your PTO. Whereas the other company, you only get 12.00 hour for your PTO. In regards to the 7cpl company with the 401k they put in 3% along with your 3%, then add in 50 cents on the dollar up to 8%.

I thought I would never accept 7 cpl - LookingMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't blame you for accepting the 7 cpl with all the other benefits. I am actively looking for something like that, have 25+ years experience. Do you know if this company is hiring and would you be willing to email me the company name? I would really appreciate it, but would understand if you don't care to. Thanks.

This is off-track from original post-I SAID AS IC! - TiredMT

[ In Reply To ..]
AND NO BENEFITS, you have a long list of benefits in your post, IC-NONE! Therefore, 7 cents is unacceptable! That's the point here.

Gotcha!! - okay

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

CPL - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I've said time and time and time again that MTs cannot base their "worth" on cpl. If I have been offered a job, even at 6 or 7 cpl, I take it and try it out. Sometimes those line rates end up being very lucrative if the dictations are easy enough. Some of you who complain about making minimum wage, etc., are probably the ones passing up these 7 cpl for a 10 cpl or 12 cpl job (rare) and only making minimum wage because the doctors are horrible dictators, there are many account specs, platforms, etc. Why don't you at least try the job to see what you get with it and if it just way too low of an hourly rate, then quit! I have worked many different jobs at 7 cpl and can easily make $20+ an hour if you are given the right doctor. I would rather work for 7 cpl with an easy, clear doctor, on an account with no platform or specs, than 12 cpl where I can't understand the doctor, crappy platform, and a ton of specs. The cpl is NOT the only thing an MT should be considering at all. As well, MTs who think they are only worth a higher cpl rate are the ones driving this industry into the ground. We should be worth more, but fact of the matter is, technolgoy is replacing us and so if you think some of these facilities are going to pay $50,000 a year for our profession, you are sadly mistaken, especially when they can pay $5,000 or $10,000 on a program that will do everything for them. Times are changing and with Obamacare I can only imagine they will get worse with the mandates of electronic records by 2014. There will be many more job losses to come...

Similar Messages:

Holy Yikes..got An Email From MedQ With All Email Addresses
Nov 17, 2011

I am sure these are closely guarded as they would let MTs actually communicate with each other..and that would be a no no.. MTs might actually band together ...

Is Anyone Having Email Issues. Just Tried To Reply To An Email And It Didnt Work.
Dec 02, 2014

x ...

Vent - MQCentral Email Is The Lousiest Email
Dec 07, 2010

system devised!  It never seems to work and is so unbelievably slow I can't stand it!!  Glad I got that off my chest. ...

Good Ole MM. They Want Us Perfect But Their Email Saying Email Purge
Oct 19, 2012

x ...

Do They Send Rejection Email To Your Testing Email?
Mar 20, 2014

s ...

Imedx Email. How Do You Delete An Email?
Apr 06, 2015

I see nothing. ...

Trying To Email 360 Transcription With Their Email
Mar 23, 2015

and it says there is no such address.  Anyone else having trouble like that? ...

New Email Regarding The "migartion" Of Email.
Apr 02, 2015

nm ...

MDI Email
Oct 11, 2009

I haven't been able to get on my MDI email for several hours.  Anyone else having this problem? ...

Did Anyone Get A Second Email That Said
Mar 17, 2010

something like "correction to previous" email regarding line rate increase.  At first I thought,  okay, that virtually nil line raise WAS a mistake and now they will be giving us a  more reasonable raise.  Nope, it was the same exact amount.    They said correction but nothing was changed.........unless I'm missing something, but I stared at that email for while.......  ...

Where Is My Email?
Jun 28, 2010

I log into MQ Central and go to My Community.  My email is not there.  I get an error message.  What is going on?? ...

Well I Just Got An Email...
Jun 03, 2010

From my region's SVP of OPs.  Apparently my CCM is no longer my CCM.  I guess what I've read here is correct and they get rid of the good ones because my CCM rocked!  She was not just the best I'd had at MQ but one of the top managers I've ever had anywhere in any job.  Now I just wanna cry. ...

Just Got Email From CCM
Jun 21, 2010

wanting everyone to work a weekend day.  I personally can only work M-F and was hired on as such.  I know some people probably already have mandated weekend shifts, but I have another job I work weekends.  I wonder what would happend if I refuse to work weekends?  Maybe I'd get fired and then be able to collect unemployment and do the TAA for retraining.  ...

No Email Yet!!!
Aug 02, 2010

We have not had email for a week now.  I called support and they said that they are having problems.  What if there is something important we need to know, will they call us?  Hmmmfff. Anyone else have this problem. ...

MQ Email MIA
Aug 17, 2010

Is anyone else not able to access MQ Email?  Mine has been down for about a week now. ...

CMT Email From MQ
Aug 20, 2010

An email was sent out encouraging us to get our CMT or RMT.  Why?  Oh oh oh, because we MAY be eligible for a line increase of 0.005.  Not WILL be eligible - MAY be eligible.  I'll run right out and do that.  ...

My Email From CCM
Aug 20, 2010

throughout the WHOLE COMPANY.  No jobs all day and no helper pool because of low work volumes.  Anyone else out of work or running low or is it just our group being targeted it.   ...

Another Email Saying They Don't Need Us...
Sep 02, 2010

"MedQuist is migrating all of our DEP direct dictate customers to our new state of the art DocQvoice dictation capture system.  DocQvoice is providing the latest in technology capabilities that support additional redundancy for our primary and secondary telephony carriers along with database replication and application failover between our primary and secondary data centers.  This will ensure 100% direct dictation capacity capabilities if the production environment should become unavai ...

Anybody Else Get This Email?
Sep 28, 2010

This email talks about how unhappy a certain hospital is with our work and talks about omitted text, incorrect medical terminology and threatens performance management?  Wonder what's going on now? ...

HA! Just Got Email From CCM
Oct 22, 2010

asking for volunteers to help out during Hindu holiday in November. Sign me up...not.  Can't wait for my new job to start next month (NOT MT) and getting out of this Indian-owned company. Many wonderful years doing MT (10 at MQ) and I will really miss it, but have to eat and keep a roof over my head.  Gone are the good 'ol days when this profession could support a family. I really feel sorry for all the newbies coming out of school and have school loans to try and pay of ...

On And Off MQ Email
Nov 24, 2010

Seems like every other day my MQ email goes down.  Anyone else?  No communication, now work, no email---does anything in this stinkin company work? ...

Just Got An Email - W2s Now Available On ADP. NM
Jan 20, 2011

NM ...

Is There Anyway To Have Your Email
Feb 24, 2012

automatically forwarded or retrieved via another program from Mmodal's webmail?  That's the crappiest webmail setup I've ever seen & you have to go through a couple of different screens to even get to your mail...  It would be so much more convenient to have my hotmail, gmail, or outlook express retrieve it. ...

About The New Email
Jun 22, 2012

I already use Windows Live Mail.  So I went in there and added my MModal email address.  I had to verify it and I did that.  But now what?  It doesn't show up anywhere.  Where do I receive the mail?  I have looked all over the Live Mail "options" and I can't figure it out.  ...

Email Look Ups
Dec 13, 2012

How can I look up a name in the email that isn't one of my "contacts", but does work for the company, is it possible? ...

Email From Amy
Jan 11, 2013

The spot awards are given as $10 Wal-Mart cards! Because they know how much we love to shop there! I bet Amy's never seen the inside of one! ...

Amy's Email
Jan 12, 2013

I think Amy should just send us crumbs from her lunch and then tell us about the positive feedback. ...

TSM Email
Jan 30, 2013

Are the emails for the TSM's the same as they were 2-3 months ago? I've been gone from MModal for that long and recently emailed my previous TSM who hasn't emailed me back. Just wondering if it was still first name, period, last name and then @mmodal.com. Thanks!!! ...

Got An Email Saying F11 Is Not To Be Used
Feb 11, 2013

How do you do a job with a template that skips all over creation and not use F11?,,,if a job takes me way longer because of their stupid template, I save it, hit F11 and then past it back in..now they say no? I was told in training it was ok to use it on multiheading templates.. ...

I Think There Was An Email From Me
Apr 17, 2013

She is a flippin princess. ...