A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Does anyone know if I can collect UE? s/m - flmt

Posted: Jul 21, 2012

I lost my job last year, was on UE for 2 months.  Then got hired by a large company.  Biggest mistake of my life.  I never hated a job as much as this one.  I was making less money, working longer hours - I had a meltdown 2 weeks ago and walked away.  I haven't been back since, applying for different jobs but I do have bills to pay.   Does anyone know if I can file for UE and collect on the "balance" I have?  I could collect for 4.5 months while job hunting.  I'm in FL.  Otherwise, I guess I'd better crawl back Monday to my crappy job.   :(

Unemployment - JP

[ In Reply To ..]
In my state, you can try out a new job, and if you quit within 28 days because the job is "unsuitable," you might still be eligible for benefits. Good luck!

Also in FL - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
I quit working for Nuance last year due to lack of work, etc. At that time, I filed a claim, and was determined to be eligible for I believe $180 every 2 weeks. In between I did find another job with employee status, so didn't pursue the UE any further. (I basically worked for the "new company" from July-February and both of these were employee positions) I subsequently filed a claim, had to appeal it and was finally awarded UE to the tune of $180 every two weeks and received 2 months of "back" UE. Of course, they will not take any IC employment into consideration, and you have to "jump through the hoops" with attending the Agency for Workforce Innovation to continue benefits, but you should be eligible. I found that a lot of these companies do not "really want to fight it."

Thank you!! s/m - flmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I was working for Nuance. I started last Oct after losing my previous job. I absolutely hate this company. I walked from it 2 weeks ago. Now that I've come back from a meltdown, I realize I need some income to supplement my husband's. I applied last week for UE but wish I could find out whether or not I'm eligible, otherwise I may have to return to Nuance come Monday morning. :(

Hmm -- not sure about walking away - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't blame you there -- Nuance is the worst of the worst. I'm just not sure how UE will look at "walking away from the job. I was terminated from my previous job around 2/20 and I think it was finally the end of March, when I got my first benefits check. Another thing I did as well as apply for the debit card program they offer. Hope this helps.

ue - Cinge

[ In Reply To ..]
doubtful since you quit on your own, but try anyway.

I'm doing it - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
but I am in a different state, so not sure how if it is the same there or not. worth a try. I worked for about 7 months and now back on UE.

Regardless, taking care of yourself means getting - another job before leaving and passing on UE. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
These can be hard times for getting a job. Do not risk putting yourself on the outside and planning to get back in. Good luck.

Similar Messages:

Can An IC Collect Unemployment?
Sep 22, 2012

YES!!!!!!!! Ladies and gentlemen there IS hope! Because my employer dictated my hours per week, per day and the time I was to work unemployment considered that to be an employee status and NOT IC even though they didn't pay my taxes. This was the decision made after my prior employer appealed my unemployment benefits from them. Please keep the faith that these companies who try to dictate to IC's their hours, ect will NOT get away with it forever! I wish you'all the best of ...

Is It Possible To Collect Partial Unemployment?
Jan 07, 2014

I've heard this before, but was unable to find anything about it ... I live in Georgia.  I went through all my PTO over the holidays because of NJA, and now it's the beginning of the week and I'm already 4 hours down.  What good does it do to "work" on holidays, when there's never any work?  I guess they just can't stand paying that holiday pay ... I'm so depressed right now and my first check of 2014 that I will get on Friday is going to be horrible. ...

Has Anyone Used An Attorney To Collect Payment...
Aug 12, 2014

Hi, If you have used an attorney to collect payment on an invoice as an IC, I am curious to know how long it took to obtain payment and if you pursued any other damages such as the attorney's fees, bank charges incurred, etc., etc. and how long the process took.  I am out of patience with a small MTSO who pays consistently 1-4 days after payday and ready to pursue any and all avenues necessary to obtain payment since pay is late again and I have received no repsonse to my inquiries r ...

Does Anyone Know If A Person Can Collect Social Security And Unemployment?
Jan 07, 2014

I have an email out to a friend with this question also.  She was laid off and had already applied for social security early.  Haven't heard back yet. ...