A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

600 lines a day at Softscript - couponermt

Posted: Mar 29, 2012

I am only getting 650 lines a day at Softscript in an 8 hour day.  i used to type 1000 for my other company.  I dont know what is wrong with me!! Is this just a slump? Does anyone else go through this?  I feel like I am working all day, but not making much money!

Could be the way their software calculates - line count

[ In Reply To ..]
it happens. I worked at a place part-time and was only required to produce 600 lines per day on IC status (worked at leisure) and boy it some days it literally took me an entire 8hrs to get those 600 lines in.

It was crazy, because at my full-time job I was easily typing 200+ lines per hour and in an eight hour shift producing 1600 to 2000 lines per day.

I ended up quitting. The company I work for now is fairly easy to make lines for also, never had that problem since. I suspect it had to be the company I was working for.

no watchdog for these companies - incognito

[ In Reply To ..]
They need to be audited, all of them, for legitimacy, without warning.

Oh - There is

[ In Reply To ..]
a/are watchdog(s) that aren't just watching and there is also auditing. Email if you want to do something about your situation and get your lines figured out. Your confidentiality is guaranteed. You should also scroll down and find the post that someone made on documenting illegalities. Good luck whatever you decide...

I once worked for a hospital and when a new manager was - hired....

[ In Reply To ..]
she adjusted the way the software calculated the lines. I was making decent money until that happened. I had to quit because I could not make any money.

SS - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Get used to it, that is their software and it doesn't get any better. Just when you think your doing okay, you suddenly have no work and sit there. I left because all of a sudden I was making $400 for 2 weeks and sitting for hours and then they keep hiring.

Over hiring - tootired

[ In Reply To ..]
They hire because of the state kickback for hiring full-time people. I wonder how much they get back or if you still fill out the forms for them to get a state payout for each person hired full-time. It is no wonder they only hire full-time and keep hiring. You think California would figure it out.

It's not you; it's them. I used to work there. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked 2nd shift and didn't check my line count until the end of my shift. I was noticing that I might have around 700-750 lines at the end of the evening, and when I started typing the next day, I would recheck my line count from the day before and it was only in the 500s, so sometime during the night, I had lost about 200 lines.

When this repeatedly happened, I asked my supervisor about it, and I was told that line adjustments were made overnight and lines were taken away for duplicate reports, etc. I thought, "But come on, really? Every night?" And besides, I was thinking, "Hey I can't help it if someone else typed that report, too, or if the doctor accidentally dictated it twice or decided to redictate it instead of just dictating an addendum. If I typed it, I should get credit for it." I decided to just continue to keep an eye on it, so I started checking my line count throughout the day.

Their line count system would go down quite often (almost every day while I was there), and I would notice that before the system went down, I might have a line count in the 500s. You could still continue to work while the system was down, so I would work during the 2-3 hours the system was down. When the system would come back up, I would have a line count in the 300s, even though it was over 500 prior to the system problem and I had been typing for another 2 hours on top of that.

Okay, so then I thought that maybe the system takes some time to catch up when it is working again, but the next day, I would find that my line count for the day prior had actually been reduced to under 300 lines. I talked to my supervisor again and was given a very flippant, "Oh well. These things happen" type of answer, which did not sit well with me at all.

I then downloaded some line counting software and started pasting everything I typed each day into that, and, at the end of the day, the discrepancy between the line counting software and SoftScript's line counter was around 300-500 lines per day more in my line counting software. I later found out from someone else that they had the same thing happening to them when they were close to reaching their goal and getting their benefits.

I don't know what goes on at that company. I loved the people I worked with, so I don't want to malign them, but I also suspect this happens to their full-time employees so they don't have to give them benefits, because you have to meet a certain line count to get benefits.

I had gotten to the point where I had met the line count I needed for 2 weeks in a row when this started happening. I switched companies and became an IC, where there are no benefits at stake, and, guess what! According to their line counter, I type between 210 and 275 lines per hour every day. I'm actually getting a decent paycheck now.

Switching to IC status really did wonders for me. I am finally able to make ends meet, whereas I was going broke working for companies that would skim lines from me. Since I never could get the insurance anyway because I couldn't meet the line counts, I don't miss the fact that I don't have benefits with the IC companies. They pay me fair and square for a true line count, and, even with setting aside the extra amount I will need for taxes each quarter, I am still making more money this way than I ever did with the 5 companies I had worked for on an employee basis before I became an IC.

Anyway, my guess would be that if you used to type somewhere in the 1000s for your daily line count, you probably still do (even though their platform is terrible -- but don't get me started on that!). You probably just aren't getting credit for all the lines you are actually typing for them.

Again, I really loved the company and the people who work there are wonderful. They had a very fair QA system, but because I wasn't getting credit for all my lines, I couldn't make a living working for them, so I had to leave.

Check it out. You might find the same thing is happening to you. Good luck!

Very interesting.... - BeachyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
since I'm new to SS, I will definitely start checking my line counts at night and then the next day.. thank you for the heads-up! I'm so disappointed with SoftScript, and even tho enough MTs warned me I still went with them. I just want to work and make decent money but can't seem to lately. Starting my part-time job this weekend so let's hope that that one will work out!

Ditto, ditto, ditto . . . . - Used to work there also

[ In Reply To ..]
I totally 100% agree with anon. I hired on with them in 2009 and the same exact thing was happening to my lines. Everyone was nice, polite, professional to work with but I just could not get over the "vanishing lines." I used to average 1500 lines in a 6-hour window. I hire on with SoftScript and could never make more than 700 lines in an 8-hour period and I mean I sat at that desk, used my expanders, skipped my 15-minute breaks, etc.

I gave myself 3 months to get up to speed. Since nothing changed, even though I was working, working, I ended up quitting.

We work hard enough as it is between these different platforms, account specs, different dialects, that when your lines add up to 800 lines one minute, 700 the next, and then 650 when all is said and done they are blatently screwing you. You might as well cash your paycheck and on the way home in the car open the window and have some of that cash fly out the window.

Sad, a company robbing you for your lines - they do it on the backend too

[ In Reply To ..]
anytime you sit and type steadily or work steadily for 8 straight hours and can't get past 7 or 800 lines by the end of your shift, that ought to tell you right there, it's something wrong and they are robbing you somehow.

I realize some places dont pay for spaces, but come on..even without spaces you should be able to average a good line count by the end of the day.

And checking back the next day only to find you are a couple hundred short? Means you are working for free, producing the lines and not being paid for them.

softscript short lines - lb

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry you had a bad experience. My lines are ALWAYS different the next day, but always more than what I thought they were. I've been here just over 7 years, on production, and have never made more money in my life. I'm averaging 1500-1800 a day.

Here's what - reaching out

[ In Reply To ..]
CAN AND DOES RESULT IN. SOMETHING CALLED JUSTICE

Edix downfall - Lucy
Posted: Mar 1st, 2012 - 5:30 pm In Reply to: Whatever Happened to EDiX - Please dont laugh

Back then we were all employees of EdiX here in Florida. They bought out the company I was working for when the owner wanted to retire. Turned out they did want to pay compensation when the system was down which it was frequently. They also did not pay overtime. They demoted our manager. Her daughter broke her leg and even though she they offered disability, with a broken leg, they fired her because she was not able to work and her mother who was the manager of the company they bought out and fired her also. Twelve MTs filed a lawsuit as well as the manager and her daughter with the broken leg. I, along with the 12 other MTs plus the mother and daughter filed a lawsuit for no compensation of downtime or overtime. If you are employee status they have to pay you for downtime and overtime. My suit was the first to win and after that it was a "domino effect" and everyone won their lawsuits against them. They had "fudged" our time sheets and illegally signed our names to try and show we did not have downtime or overtime but I had 2 years' worth of original time sheets documenting all downtime and overtime. Their legal department advised them it was cheaper to pay out the lawsuits rather than to try and litigate them. Settling of all the lawsuits pretty much took them down financially. They sold out to Spheris.

Required to pay for down time? - Redwriter

[ In Reply To ..]
Is this a Florida law that a company must pay for down time for an employee? As in, if the company hires you for full-time, and over 4 months you are lacking 54 hours because they did not give you work (down time) and because of that they deny you benefits--this is illegal? I know it is absolutely, positively unjust and evil, but illegal? Really? Can you give me a citation on that law? I am working currently part-time for this company (not SS) and thought I did not have a leg to stand on. I don't mean to doubt you, but it sounds way too good to be true. (My gosh! A law on the books in my company's own state that works to protect me??? Don't answer write away, please. I want a few hours to feel the glow of hope.)

Downtime - Lucy

[ In Reply To ..]
Perhaps you should ask these questions to DOL or in particular an attorney who specializes in labor law to answer your questions.

Me too - frustratedmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I also have worked with them for the last 2 years and it has been a downhill course for me. I worked for another company for 14 years and always had well over 1000 lines a day. Now with Softscript I'm lucky to get 700. In fact, they have knocked me down to part-time because of it and still expect me to work 39 hours a week with no benefits, PTO, etc. I've been an MT for over 30 years and don't need this aggravation. Doesn't matter if you have 100% QA every month. All they want is lines, lines, lines on a crappy transcription program.

600 lines a day at Softscript- couponermt - lb

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been there 7+ years and do anywhere from 1300-1800 and sometimes more a day. Its all in your shortcuts, copy & paste, and how fast you type in general. If you only type 50 wpm without shortcuts, you'll never get there. I can type more than 120 wpm, and with the shortcuts and other quickies, its a piece of cake. never waste time looking for a word, rule of thumb, look at 3 references, or blank it. use as many copy & pastes that you can. i have whole reports (egd, colonoscopy) where docs say the same thing all the time other than he/she, right/left. you'll get there!

Agree, Couponer, the key is your personal dictionary - tinear

[ In Reply To ..]
I have only been at SS for under 4 months and I can easily do 1200-1300 lines a day, just as she says, using your own macros, copy and paste. For me it's fun watching those expansions run and really takes the boredom out of this job. I think SS is the best workplace I've been at in the 5 yrs I am in this field, having been taken over once at Spheris and once at eTrans and getting canned at another unmentioned place. They also respect you more when you're doing the big lines. My only problem is the upper tier of incentive is not that great. I worked 1,500 lines over and only got $7 additional on top of the other incentives. Good luck in getting over 600.

Similar Messages:

In Re: 600 Lines A Day At Softscript
Apr 01, 2012

If only this were an April Fool's...Have you tried looking at the line counts in the line counter for split jobs you do as another starting point for where your line count woes come from...  Inspector Clouseau would like to know.  LOL ...

SoftScript- Can You Do 2000 Lines A Day
Sep 27, 2011

Understanding the pooling situation and difficult dictators, are 2000 lines a long shot using their software.  Thank you for your feedback! ...

Softscript - I'm Not Getting My Lines And I'm Wondering-sm
Sep 16, 2013

if anybody is?  My line count (and of course my check) is half what it was a year ago.  I think they're getting rid of QA, anybody heard anything? ...

Escription - 250 Line Count Minimum - Median Lines Or Average Lines?
Dec 20, 2014

Does anybody know which column companies look at to decide if you are meeting the minimum 250 requirement in Escription? When I look at the metrics there are 2 columns...median lines per hour and average lines per hour. ...

Is It True That FOCUS, Only Counts Half Of Your Lines When Calculating VR Lines?
Jan 30, 2012

if you make 4 cents per line at 1000 lines a day, they really calculate it at 500 lines per day x 4 cents, making it really 2 cents per line for the full 1000.   I heard this, and I am really interested in knowing if it is true. ...

Told Nuance Was Overcharging For Lines, Now Lines Drastically Reduced
May 02, 2012

My main account was a good one, and the lines were very good, mostly ER work. I have been on this account for over a year and a half now. We recently received an e-mail stating that Nuance had discovered that the line count was charging incorrectly, as instituted by them, and they had been crediting us with MORE lines than we were actually doing and overcharging the client. Now get this, they informed us that they would not make US pay it back, for their mistake, but that our new lines would re ...

TransTech Lines - Required Hours But Are Short Lines?
Jun 10, 2011

What do you do when you have the required hours but are short lines? I got an email that I need to "make plans to have my shortage made up." The only problem is that I'm up to date with my hours for the pay period so far. The other problem is that I have plans Saturday night and Sunday (both being my scheduled time off) that don't include TransTech. It's getting harder and harder to defend this company when they can't hold up their end of the agreement and continually ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average During The Day/week?
Jan 19, 2011

Just wondering if the TT MTs would like share ... how many lines do you average during the day/week?  I'm doing about 9,000 to 10,000 a week and wonder if I should be pushing myself more.  How much of your count is VR?  I do probably 15% traditional and 85% VR but that, of course, varies week to week.   ...

Custom Lines Versus Standard Lines
Jan 08, 2013

Which do you use - custom lines - 65 character lines with spaces or standard lines - seems like so much more for standard lines????   Cathy ...

Are MS Word Lines The Same As Medquist Lines?
Jan 18, 2011

I am having a discrepancy issue with lines....wondered if MS Word and Medquist use a different number of characters per line.  Thanks.... ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average Per Day
Jul 13, 2011

How many lines do you average per day - VR and traditional?  I know it's been VERY slow lately, but when things are going well, how many lines do you normally get? I'm trying to figure out where the average numbers are.  For me, I do about 350 trad and about 1400 VR in 8 hours. Well, my timesheet says 8 hours, but my clock says that number MAY(!) be a little higher.  Again, these are numbers I pull when things are going well and I'm not waiting for work to download. I'v ...

About How Many Lines?
Dec 10, 2010

Can anybody that types radiology tell me how on average about how many lines they do an hour or a day?  I am being switched to by the line and have always been paid by the report.  Thanks.  ...

TT Lines?
Feb 11, 2011

Does anyone else struggle to get 2000 lines a day with TransTech?  I've been at TT for about 4-1/2 years, but I'm having a hard time getting over 2000 lines a day.  If you get more than 2000 a day in your 8 hours, can you share your tips?   ...

VBC Lines
Mar 19, 2011

Seems like with the industry pretty much switching to VBC lines, we should get a higher line rate.  Like that is going to happen.  Thoughts? ...

150 Lines Per Hr Or ASR 350?
Sep 09, 2011

so I get my offer from MedQuist today after they acquired AllType.  In order to qualify for benefits, I have to type 150 lines per hr or do voice recognition editing at 350 per hr.  I don't know if I can do this.  On a good account, no problem.  But ASR on accounts I have been doing are ridiculous, so many random errors, no way you can skim through them.  Any body out there that consistently gets these line counts every week without working more than 39 hrs per week ...

Why Does QA Take Lines Away From You If...
Jan 08, 2012

you send in a report with a blank?  or even if they think you made an error like with comma placement?  They end up taking three lines away if you leave a blank for a doctor's name that you could not understand or verify!  do all places do this, or just some?  I don't think it is ethical, myself.  but just asking.  ...

My First VR Job....how Many Lines?
Mar 29, 2012

The company that hired me as an IC wants to know how many lines I will agree to produce per day.  This will be my first job as doing voice recognition.  I am clueless.  I know how many lines I can transcribe but this is a totally different ballgame, right?  I do not want to over comit.  How would you suggest I handle this question on their forms?  TIA ...

How Do They Keep Up With VR Lines?
May 21, 2012

When I check to see how many lines I've done today there are none for the work I've done with VR.  How can they tell what I'd done? Do they just guess????????? I'd not be surprised at all. ...

Pay Per Pt Vs Lines
May 23, 2012

i transcribe for a local physician and get paid per patient (and not very much!) instead of by the line.  i've been doing this for a couple of years now and just cannot get used to not being paid by the line.....it's like i just eat, sleep and breathe by the line!!!  and i cannot even get the physician to even try to understand how being paid by the line works.  needless to say, there is a huge discrepancy in pay between per patient and lines and even more so when i' ...

How Many Lines In A Day?
Dec 08, 2012

I am curious as to how many lines on average you do in a day.  Please no posts complaining about lack of work or big bad MTSOs...  I really am just looking for a number and would really like to try to get this info with as little drama as possible.   Thank you :) ...

VR Lines
Jan 29, 2013

Can any large producer out there tell me how many lines they are able to do in voice per hour?  I cannot get past 400 and was wondering if anyone could.   ...

How Many Lines??
May 17, 2013

Seriously, does anyone know how many lines per hour it would take to make a $1400.00 gross paycheck, not counting the "quarterly bonus" figuring my QA score was 99.5... lol!!! I used to know and achieve this back the Webmedx days, right now I have no idea. Thanks! ...

Lines
Dec 09, 2014

Has anyone else noticed that the LPH average has dropped? I am typing more than I was and yet it is still lower significantly?  ...

QT Lines?
Dec 17, 2014

Where are the QT lines that we used to get paid 1 cent for?  I don't see any of that listed on the time card. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me (lines)......
Jan 29, 2015

how they calculate your lph rate now? Minimum is 100 clph. I'm wondering b/c since they half the speech lines, this does not seem to be your true accurate LPH. For instance if I type 100 in an hour and do 100 speech in the same hour, do they strictly look at that and say your LPH is 200 OR do they say 100 for regular, only 50 for speech, so your LPH is 150? B/c as you see, the later formula makes it appear as if you actually do less when in fact you don't and that is not accurate. I as ...

Minimum Lines Per Day
Jan 11, 2010

I asked this question already on the company board, but I ask it also on this board: What do companies do if an MT turns in 98% accurate work, or above, but does not transcribe the minimum lines per day, as an employee? Does this MT always get fired, or how do companies handle this? TIA ...

VR - How Many Lines Per Hour Do You Do? (sm)
Jan 21, 2010

With decades of experience as an MT, I'm just now getting into VR. I'd like to know, if you would please care to share, just how many lines per hour you are able to get with VR. I know this varies from person to person and platform to platform, but please, help me out with this! I'm terrified I'm going to go broke doing this! Thanks in advance. ...

VR - Lines Per Hour
Feb 05, 2010

I don't have much to compare to, as this is the only company I've worked for as an editor. I wanted to get an idea of the different platforms we each use and our lines per hour. Talking only about editing and not straight typing, what do you average lph and what platform do you use?  Thank you!  ...

Meditech Lines
Feb 26, 2010

I am wonderinig about how Meditech counts lines; if they pay on 65 character line and say meditech does not have that many characters on a line, but around 49-50, do you come out less or does it equal out in the end ?  Thanks everyone.  Just love the program ...

Lines Per Minute
Mar 01, 2010

I have been an MT for 12-years now.  I used to get paid hourly, now they are suggesting 12.5-cents per line. Is this too low?  Is 12.5 cents per line fair, anyone know?   ...