Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

I don't think MT is dead yet -Devil's Advocate - JM

Posted: Sep 26th, 2022 - 6:55 pm

I have been in this industry since 1991.  i started on a Wang computer with words on F-keys and I then went to DOS 5.1, 5.2, 6.0, 6.1 and then Word.  Yes, i was an adult before Word was ever born.  Oldie but goodie here.  What I am seeing is 360 here.  It is where it was when I started in 1991.  I was paid hourly to do transcription on cassette tapes, take histories.  We interviewed the patient's for subjective, ROS, social and family history, medical and surgical history, allergies and meds.  Docs would then see the patient, dictate phys exam, labs, radiology, assessment and plan on cassette tapes.  We would open up the file for that patient and add the doctor's dictation.  We were scribes without going into the exam room.  Doctors will return to off site transcription when they realize how much money they save in hourly wages, sick time, vacation time, personal times off for kids all the time, healthcare insurance and 401Ks, etc.  We are going full circle.  VR will not be accurate because of our dialects, accents, words we use in the US regionally.  Each section of our country is so different from the other.  There will be a need for at least QA to listen, correct the reports.  I know things are going full circle when Canadian hospitals lost so much faith in shady companies, they went back to Meditech and hired a transcription department on-site.  That's bad.  Meditech - Oh my...haven't seen that in decades.  Doctors are tired of being ripped off by shady companies. They are like us, looking for ethical businesses to do their reports. Right now, they are nonexistent like Global Med/Superior Global.  The good companiess have been run over and ran out of business by  these unethical ones.  When they are closed and the field is open again to ethcial people, the MT business will return.  This won't take very long either. Docs didn't go to medical school to be secretaries and they will tell you that. PA's aren't in school to do a minimum wage job either.  Nurses are already overworked, so make them secretaries?  No...complaints in-house will end this scribe thing, especially when patients complain about non-clinical people in the exam rooms with the doc and the patient. That is an invasion of privacy not everyone could appreciate or accept.  Be patient.  Things will change when the industry returns to an ethical, decent business with people caring about the clients instead of using Pakistan to sell patient information on the dark web.  Just takes time and patience.  I am an optimist.  

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)