Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: IC worker.. (Views: 42)

noncompetence - not scary

Posted: Feb 28th, 2020 - 2:03 am In Reply to: I've signed contracts like that all I did was... - sm

I've worked in both advertising and MT for 40 years now. The first time I faced an NC I got cold feet too, so I talked to everyone I could think of in both advertising and legal fields and they all said unless you try to rip somebody off you have nothing to worry about, plus -- and this is just what I was told by numerous people then -- NC is often unenforceable anyway. But it serves as a warning that unethical behavior will not be tolerated.

That being said, also remember legal action is always expensive and involves a cost/benefit ratio, so anyone pursuing a competence grievance would either have a compelling financial reason to do so, or be kind of crazy vindictive:)

I've worked where those agreements are de rigeur for 40 years and have never once heard of the slightest blowback. I would never, ever turn down a lucrative opportunity over it.

That being said, if you're uncomfortable with the wording -- and the contract you cite is a little interesting -- reach out and ask them about it, if possible. If they're open to contact, more than likely they'll be happy to explain and their answer will make perfect sense. And after all, if you're good at what you do you are a valuable commodity. Good luck! I hope you get to pursue this opportunity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)