Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Former QA - Mary Roach

Posted: May 19th, 2019 - 11:14 am In Reply to: QA - im5of10

After serving as an MT (eventual CMT) for 20+ years, I had the privilege of serving as a QA Editor/co-supervisor of a team of 42 MTs (all of us home-based). I tried really hard to be as courteous and respectful as possible to the MTs on our team. Whenever they questioned my accuracy on corrections of theirs, I did further research and discovered that far too often, I myself was incorrect! I’d then send the results to that MT and make sure she wasn’t dinged for my error, and I’d apologize. I felt it was important to try to be humble and teachable. Another thing I did was try to reach out to every MT at
least once a week to see how she was doing, how she felt, whether she had any concerns or questions, and to just let her know I was thinking of her. I wanted them to know that at least SOMEONE knew she mattered to the team, and that I cared. If I came across a funny blooper, a new term or procedure or medication, or something that could easily trip up an MT, I’d share that with the team. Whenever possible, I’d create new templates for any reports or repetitious phrases, etc., that might help them make it through hard to understand dictators, etc. I’d tell them, I myself am basically lazy, and that I’d find shortcuts to get out of any kind of work possible and help them do the same. A sense of humor always helps. I’d share with them ideas that might help them cope with the monotony of the work, the physical discomfort of long days strapped down to a chair at a computer, etc. Something as simple as a scented candle burning or a heating pad duct taped to your chair (first hand experience), or a TV playing softly in the background. You all know how incredibly difficult this job is. I remember the days of making wayyyyyyy more money just cruising along typing at a moderate pace, having the time to look up terms, being excited about new things like laparoscopic cholecystectomies! That was soooooo amazing! Instead of being pried open like a clam, just poke some holes, pop that gallbladder out, a little Dermabond (oversimplified, but y’all know what I mean). Coronary stents! Anyway, I had MTs message me and say that I was the only person from the company who ever contacted them except to fuss at them, that gave them attagirls, that helped them. Things like that mattered to me. I cared about them, their well being, their families, and every single patient whose reports we transcribed. For me, 12 years ago, I got sick from overwork, overstress, and an upper respiratory strep infection that lasted 6 weeks before I finally took off work to go to a doctor. Unfortunately, that was the catalyst that trigged lupus for me. I became very ill that year, and had to quit work. Eight years ago, I got lucky and found a quiet little job doing clerical work in an office of three doctors, and I’m very happy there. So.....please forgive my longwinded novel here. Just want to say you all matter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)