Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

What We Have Always Done - See Msg

Posted: May 12th, 2019 - 1:50 pm In Reply to: What's everyone doing for work? - JustMe

First and foremost, we have been saving money for 43 years. Start when you're young. There are plenty of investment strategies out there and that can bring you a nice nest egg. We were in our 20s when we started, and while we never made a bunch of money in our jobs, we are certainly thankful we did it.

Sometimes it's more about managing the money and not doing silly things. By that, I mean nobody needs a $600 phone. My $40 smart phone will do for me, and my husband has a flip phone. And nobody needs a tablet. I have a $200 laptop from years ago that keeps me going just fine for staying in touch with family and using the Internet.

Our philosophy has always been, and still is, don't spend more than you make. Don't have mouths to feed that you can't afford (sorry, sounds harsh, but if you can't afford it, you do nobody any service), don't buy designer anything just because it's "cute." And there's no reason to buy $100 shoes or dresses, ever. If you have a special occasion and want to look smashing, go to church thrift stores or the Salvation Army. Consignment shops are not necessarily a bargain for buying things--they may be a good value because a designer dress will cost less, but they are there to make a profit; they are not for donating to charity. As long as we're here, heck, go ahead and bring your clothes you don't wear anymore and get some cash out of them at a consignment shop. Call first before bringing them to make sure they have space.

Bartering sounds old fashioned, but I have a friend who cuts hair, and I have bartered with her by steam cleaning her carpet or cleaning her house.

Get out of MT, that's my best advice ever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)