Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Tips on Acquiring Outside Non-MT Jobs - JC

Posted: Feb 22nd, 2018 - 10:38 am

There's a discussion going on below, but it's getting lost. I went from my resume screaming just MT (15 years) to learning how to word things so we look valuable for a non-MT job. Our resumes can be our worst enemies if we've been in MT a good chunk of our working lives. I found work outside the home (non-MT) using the below techniques. I kind of learned along the way, so I'd like to share. Mind you, I was just looking for clerical work to ride through until Retirement SS benefits at the age of 62. Here are the hints below--besides the obvious no perfume, not too much make-up, no cleavage, no suits that yell "I want to take over," and don't be late, etc.

Revamp your resume so at the top it includes what you're looking for. I used the Objective heading for that and tailored it for each job ad I was answering. If you're answering an ad for medical records position, say you are looking for that. If you are answering an ad for clerical work in an office setting, use that terminology...etc. Customer Service, Management, Sales...

When describing the work you've done, instead of listing MT transcription duties first, note that you have expertise in working in multiple software databases and that you are accustomed to learning new software programs. Make MT transcription duties the last thing you mention in the paragraph for each place you worked.

Include that you worked independently, but as part of a team to ensure proper turn-around time for the client. (This relieves the interviewer of worrying about if you know how to work as part of a team, in addition to letting the interviewer know that you don't need to be babysat.) DO NOT, however, make it sound like you can't wait to bust out of the house. The new job may have potential for work-at-home at some point, and you wouldn't want to close that door for an opportunity to work from home, or worse, lose the job because it's becoming remote.

Work Mergers, References, etc. Below is what I did, last job first.

2009-Present [or year left]: ABC Company (Formerly DEF Company):
2002-2009: GHI Company (Formerly...)

If work references are required on an application before you are interviewed, I put "last known contact info." (If you don't have this info, try to remember your supervisor's name, then go on the Internet and look up the phone number for the company.) I put "references available upon request" on my actual resume.

Obviously, if you're only doing applications online, you are limited in space and often can't do some of the above, particularly the references thing. SO, I stress checking your local newspaper and following the instructions. If they say to fax resume, no phone calls, follow those instructions. If they say to phone only, don't show up at their door. If they say no phone calls, in person only, 9-11 a.m, follow that. In addition to wanting what's convenient for them during the hiring process, they are also looking to see if you can follow instructions!

Good luck! I got out in 2012 and could not be happier. Oh, and yes, you can get this all on one 8 x 11 page. I used a lot of space here in order to be helpful, but you'll have to use short and sweet on your resume. If you include a cover letter, 2-3 short paragraphs only. Don't rah-rah yourself with exclamation points and things, that's tacky. Stress the non-MT desire at the first paragraph.

Of course, always, always follow up with a thank you phone call or e-mail (whichever seems most appropriate) after you've had an in-person or phone interview.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)