Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Good read - sm

Posted: Oct 19th, 2017 - 4:54 pm In Reply to: Anyone else really feeling this right now? - laidoff

Yeah, this was on target, huh? Oh, I was laid off on August 30. Haven't found work yet.

As I scour the internet and newspapers for jobs, I see so many ads that say, "Come to work with our great go-get-'em team! Need someone with high energy! Must be able to multi-task and prioritize! You'll get to support 10 department managers and make their travel arrangements! High-profile position with LOTS of advancement opportunities! Bachelor's degree preferred. Pay starts at $9.00/hour." YAY!

YAWN. Oh please. Who on EARTH would want this much pressure and so little reward? PLUS, you could never lose your temper.

Seriously. I made more than that in 1974. DOL says I have to make 3 legitimate job searches per week. I craft my cover letters with care, trying to demonstrate professionalism and maturity. I've been called for an interview tomorrow at an enormous financial company. I'm hardly qualified; I know nothing about banking, and I don't really care to be around people. I have a perky business suit to wear and polished heels, and I don't...I just would NEVER be able to do this job. The reality of this never hit me until they called. My bad. Honestly, I just don't have the stamina. But if they offer it to me, DOL says I have to take it. What to do? What to do? Can I drool during the interview?

I was so anxious when I was laid off. I couldn't sleep, and I awoke at 4:00 a.m. as if my alarm had gone off. But now I'm getting sort of quiet, ya know. I do job searches for about 3 hours a day and then piddle around. If I didn't have so much to lose, I would just disappear from the work force.

So...thanks for listening.

Edited: I put in for a position as a "scanning associate" at a local grocery store. Now THERE'S a job I can sink my teeth into.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)