Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

M*Modal

No perception of MT as a profession - MT

Posted: Jun 11th, 2016 - 2:05 pm In Reply to: I think most of us are on the way out - mom2huskies

That is the problem here. I don't think they are looking for reasons to terminate us because they are always hiring. My take is they just don't understand that this is a profession. It is not just a job. Experience matters.

They have all these metrics but they don't seem to get that the metrics are not what will give them what they want (high quality and productivity), and they don't seem to care that they are losing really talented MTs over meaningless metrics!

Who cares about someone's inactivity time if they are meeting or exceeding production requirements? It shouldn't even be a thing!! Why would you risk losing someone who is performing well for you over that?!

It's nonsense. My sense is they think all MTs are created equally and easily replaceable. We all know that isn't true. Experience matters. They would do well to lose all but the most critical metrics, hold onto their most talented people, and pay for experience.

You can't hire people straight out of school and expect that by holding them to a rigid set of metrics, you can turn them into highly productive MTs with 99.6% quality and no blanks. And you can't expect to hold onto professional MTs by paying them minimum wage and holding them to a rigid set of metrics that only make their professional lives unpleasant and lower their morale.

Again, here is what should matter: Productivity and quality.

Let the rest of it go! Realize that experience matters and pay accordingly. Realize that metrics have nothing to do with it and that a bunch of metrics is not going to turn people fresh out of school into seasoned MTs. Sure, have structures in place to help newbies learn and grow, get faster, become more accurate. Also have structures in place for your seasoned MTs to reward them for their quality and speed. Because in this industry it is not metrics but experience that equals quality plus speed, especially if it pays decently. Treat your experienced people well and that means paying them well, paying them especially well on ESL accounts, and not hassling them over things that do not matter to your overall objective (high quality/productivity).

That is what you do when you treat your workforce as valued professionals.

That is what's lacking. The nitpicking IS driving people away, having metrics in place that not everyone meets consistently but are not even relevant to having highly productive, experienced employees just makes no sense. But that is what we have happening!

That is my take anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)