Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

The problem seems to be that she wants to work for herself, not someone else. - Heloise

Posted: Mar 31st, 2016 - 12:14 pm In Reply to: Every MTSO is different in how they - sm - XXX

If she cannot wrap her mind around file exchange and the other computer/technical issues that remote transcription can involve, I don't know what to tell her about that.

FWIW, emailing stuff back and forth is both somewhat unreliable, being subject to unpredictable delays, and a flat-out HIPAA violation unless all the attachments are encrypted. If someone doesn't understand that kind of thing and isn't prepared to handle it for their clients rather than expecting their clients to figure it out for them, they really need to keep working for someone else who will spoon feed them files and come to their rescue when things go down, their computer barfs, etc.

I don't mean to be unkind, but the fact is most docs expect their transcription service to handle the technical stuff for them, not vice versa. Some of them are quite computer literate these days, but they're most likely to be the ones using EMRs, Dragon, etc. rather than paying an MT. I had to figure it all out pretty much from scratch when I came back into the business in the 90s and wanted to go digital, and I ended up having to play IT person more than once for my docs, including one Sunday evening visit to the office of one foaming at the mouth because he couldn't get his files to upload and wouldn't believe the problem wasn't my hosting setup. It wasn't. It was the wunerful malware he'd gotten on his own computer network, but I would have lost the account if I hadn't marched over there and proved that to him. I most certainly charged him a pretty penny for my time and got a grudging apology from him, but if you set out to work as your own MTSO, you've got to be prepared to handle stuff like that. Even now, when offices have gotten a little more digitally savvy. I have the private clients I still have largely because solving any problems with any aspect of their dictation/transcription has never required more than one phone call to me.

It's no shame to not be computer savvy, but it's a bad idea to go into a business for yourself that's based on computers if that's the case. Stick to working in house or for someone else who can handle the IT for you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)