Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Company Board

HIPAA violation - sm

Posted: Mar 26th, 2016 - 8:52 pm

I work for a small company and have not been there very long.  Today, I got the same dictator 3 times and all 3 times the dictator keyed in the same wrong patient information, too lazy to care about the patient's privacy and the wrong patient's privacy.  I now know this wrong patient's name when I literally have no business knowing this, simply because the dictator is keying in the same patient data over and over again on every patient. What makes this dictator so special to not have to follow the rules?  I am in a quandry because a few weeks ago another physician did the same thing and I did not catch it.  I got my rear end chewed out with the threat of termination, no mention about what the facility would do to the actual physician who keyed in this wrong information.  I thought a HIPAA violation was when you knowingly violate a patient's privacy, which I did not knowingly do.  It was a human error. Today's events is not human error.  It is laziness, pure and simple.   Why is it that only I am or would be guilty of a HIPAA violation had I not caught these errors today, but not the doctor?  Please don't tell me it's my job to waste my unpaid time searching for data and demographics because a physician is careless with protected patient information and that of yet another patient and is knowingly compromising protected patient information.  What would you do?   

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)