Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Company Board

My opinion - Anonymous

Posted: Mar 27th, 2016 - 11:43 am In Reply to: Unfortunately if you do not verify/catch the - error it is yours. I would definitely

I am not sure if this constitutes a HIPAA violation, the rules state that we have access to anything required to perform our job, you were not voluntarily seeking out information and it was not your fault that the provider couldn't get it right, he is ultimately responsible. In the EMR systems with point and click, if it's a pull down list, it's pretty easy to choose the wrong name and demographics and it's also possible to have more than one record open at the same time. This happens where I work too. Sometimes it's caught by transcription staff but we flag it for the provider to fix. Sometimes they fall through the cracks and the nursing staff catches it, but it has never transcription has never been blamed and it is not a fire-able offense because the provider messed up. Perhaps the docs you work for need some in service on how to use the dictation system or maybe it's carelessness, but I don't think it's a HIPAA issue. Sorry this happened to you, good luck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)