Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: gall bladder surgery.. (Views: 45)

Begin again - Mae

Posted: Aug 14th, 2015 - 5:37 pm

At this risk of sounding dumb, I am going to just put this out there.  Can some one tell me how to start on your own?  I have been transcribing since 2002.  I have always worked through a service, several over the years, starting out in an office using microcassette tapes, moving on to Dictation Services Group, Transportal, Acusis, etc., etc.  When it was tapes I can completely wrap my brain around how a person would do that for themselves, i.e., go pick up tapes, type, and deliver.  That being said, how does one start by themselves?  I know Microsoft Word, but I do not know computers. 

Infraware, my favorite platform, does not license for single MTs, not that I am sure how exactly to do that.  I mean, how can I be confident and go to a provider and want to be their transcriptionist if I can't answer and do not have an understanding of how I can digitally get their work and get it back into their system?  I am being completely serious.  Am I missing some breakout software that is available for the single MT?  How does it hook to a provider's office?  My old office job used Lanier I think and she said that was a dated system. 

I am reasonably fast and I get so tired of the pools drying up or the doc I am assigned switching to speech recognition, or as I like to say wreckognition, leaving me to choose to work for sweat shop rates or refuse the account.  I would just like to know if it is still possible for a person to truly work for themselves in this field and how I would get my home office prepared to work without a middle man taking half (or more for all I know) of what the client is paying just for having a system in place that I do not know how to set up. 

Can someone wiser please lay out the baby steps of it for me?  Right now my account started using another system and I can realistically make about $100.00 a month from the run-off they are going to send over to me, after four years, and I worked in their computer through an FTP, but again, how to set that up is beyond the scope of my knowledge.  The MTSO I currently work for that has this contract actually makes very little profit off them just so I can have a wage; they are good that way. Unfortunately, since my account changed to this other system with me on a p.r.n. standby and the MTSO has nothing else for me right now, I just wonder if maybe its time to step out truly independent, but have no idea where to begin. 

Thank you for your time and I appreciate your reading and responding. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)