A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

capitalization - How do you know when to capitalize departments - mt

Posted: Mar 15, 2013

How do you know when to capitalize departments.  I've always typed emergency room, radiology, cardioliogy, dialysis.  Now its Radiology, Cardiology, Dialysis, emergency room.  Why isn't the ER capiltized if the others are?  Also, if home health comes to a persons home to dress their wounds would home health be capitalized or if someone goes to urgent care is that capitalized?  Can someone explain how I would know when to capitalize something.  Otherwise I find myself losing time staring wondering which way it is to go. Thanks, M

capitalize - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Capitalize proper names of structures, monuments, etc. Lowercase generic terms.
She fell while visiting the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
He tripped on the steps of the Capitol.
She fell against the Rodin sculpture.
Capitalize names of specially designated rooms only.
She attended a reception in the Rose Room at the White House.
The patient will be seen in 3 weeks in Dr. Smith̢۪s Limb Deficiency Clinic.
Do not capitalize common nouns designating rooms; these are generic terms
applied to all similar rooms.
He was admitted through the emergency room.
She left the operating room in good condition.
Use abbreviations for room names only if dictated and if they will be readily
recognized by the reader.
He was admitted to the ICU.
or He was admitted to the intensive care unit.
Use arabic numerals for room numbers. Lowercase room.
The patient is in room 148.
Capitalize all elements of a building address, including the room name.
Sister Mary Helene
St. Agnes Hospital Emergency Room
Ourtown, USA

Depends on account - but...

[ In Reply To ..]
Some accounts want one thing, another another thing.

General rules:

St. Joseph Emergency room. The emergency room at St. Joseph. We took the patient to the emergency room.

The radiology department will reviewe the x-rays. St. Joseph Radiology Department will review the x-rays. We will talk to Radiology. We will review the radiology reports.

I know, it gets crazy, but if there is no preference by the client or the company you work for, above guidelines are useful.

Similar Messages:

To Capitalize Or Not To Capitalize, That Is The Question
Oct 17, 2010

Learning the book of style and trying to decide in this sentence whether or not to capitalize Neurology and pain medicine.    He was seen by Pain Medicine and Neurology. thanks in advance ...

Capitilization Of Departments
Dec 31, 2009

Should you or shouldn't you capitilize departments in the body of the report (ie:  urology, intensive care unit, emergency room, etc)?  ...

Departments In Hospital
Feb 18, 2011

When typing the name of a department in a hospital, do you capitalize it?  Such as: We consulted Pulmonology. ...

What Does The BOS 3 Say About Capitalizing Departments?
Aug 25, 2012

I keep seeing arguments about how you do not cap departments unless preceded by a clinic or hospital name and some say according to BOS3 you do cap them now. ...

Capitalizing Departments
Nov 26, 2014

When typing "Specimens were submitted to the toxicology laboratory or toxicology department" do you capitalize toxicology?  I'm confused and even with my BOS, it's confusing.  To me, you wouldn't because it's general to any place and would be more of a common noun, right? ...

Capitalize?
Nov 06, 2009

right-handed woman, a retired foreign service core officer ...

To Capitalize Or Not To Capitalize
Dec 13, 2010

Trying to understand BOS when capitalizing departments.  Doctor says to see cardiology tomorrow.  So is cardiology capitalized?  Anyone have an easy way of remembering the rule on this?  Thx in advance ...

Do I Capitalize?
Jan 19, 2012

I have seen tons of different ways to write the following and am wondering what is the actual correct way?  When using the words "type 2 diabetes mellitus" in a document, do you initial capitilize it or leave it all lowercase?  ...

Capitalize Fallopian? Nm
Mar 17, 2010

? ...

Do You Capitalize Urology?
Jul 30, 2010

I need help with capitalization. I have myself confussed with some of the ruling for departments and services.  With this sentence: The perineum and vagina were prepped and draped and the ureteral stent was placed by urology service.  Do you capitalize urology?  Thank you ...

Capitalize H In Hepatitis?
Jan 23, 2011

Do you capitalize the H in hepatitis C? ...

Why Does Everyone Capitalize Nitinol?
Feb 13, 2014

For those of you who take the time to view this post - I'm banging my head in frustration here!  NITINOL DOES NOT NEED A CAPITAL N!  It is nitinol basket, nitinol wire, nitinol mesh stent...etc, etc. Pull out a ref. book, for Pete's sake!!  There - now i've said my piece, I can go back to correcting the 900 instances of the capital N in the reports i'm auditing.  Does anyone bother to review Feedback?  If so, I wouldn't have to change Nitinol to ...

Scotty Dog, Capitalize Or Not
May 27, 2014

When typing scotty dog view, is this capitalized or not? And is it spelled scotty or scottie? Also, can you give me a reference of where you get your answer please? Thanks! ...

Chopat Strap...capitalize Or Not?
Oct 21, 2009

Chopat strap. tia. I also have seen it as Cho-Pat. ...

Capitalize Army Troop?
Jan 26, 2010

is a 39-year-old active duty Army troop with functional gait abnormality ...

Capitalize Headache Clinic
Feb 01, 2010

woman with a long history of chronic daily headaches, failure of multiple treatments with a visit to the headache clinic of Michigan.   I am thinking--if it were The Michigan Headache Clinic then it would be capital?     ...

To Capitalize Or Not...department Names
May 24, 2010

When do you capitalize departments?  I have been in the biz for 10 years, and my current QA staff is giving me conflicting feedback on my capitalization.  One QA manager is giving me errors for not capitalizing, the other is giving me errors when I do!  I was always taught that you didn't capitalize the department unless it was preceded by the proper name of the hospital (XYZ Hospital Emergency Department, etc). Also, as far as specialties, how do you handle those?  For ...

Capitalize Urgent Care Facility?
Oct 12, 2009

He was seen at the urgent care facility becuase of his discomfort ...

Would You Capitalize Home Health Nursing Or Not
Oct 23, 2009

? ...

Macro In Word To Go Back And Capitalize Something?
Apr 20, 2010

Every once in a while my shift key doesn't take and I have a sentence started without a capital letter.  Is there an way to create a macro that can go back and do that so that I don't have to either backspace out or stop and go back and correct and then carry on? I'm thinking to do a find function to go find the last period and then tell it to skip to the next letter, but I'm not entirely sure how that would go. If anyone's got any suggestions, I'd really app ...

Doc Starts Sentence With An Abbreviation? How To Capitalize
Oct 11, 2010

The doc starts the sentence with p.r.n., how would this be capitalized? P.r.n. ? P.R.N. ? ("p.r.n. medications for anxiety.") ...

Capitalize Headings Under Physical Exam?
Aug 23, 2012

Hi, I am doing an Emergency Room report and looked up several samples of ER Reports.  Under PHYSICAL EXAMINATION, some of the sample on the Internet have (for instance) HEART and EXTREMITIES in all caps, but others transcribe it as "Heart" and "Extremities", not in all caps.  Which is preferred?  Thanks so much. ...

Do I Capitalize Emergency Medical Technician
Sep 17, 2013

Do I capitalize Emergency Medical Technician or just Emergency medical technician. As is the patient works for ----- hospital as an emergency medical technician. Also, do you capitalize a medical proffession name after the doctors name. Ex-Dr. Smith, Oncologist or oncologist. I have looked and looked, but I thought it should be and someone else thinks it shouldnt. Trying to get the correct format. I just cant remember and I cannot seem to find in my BOS. Thanks for the help. ...

Capitalize First Letter In Numbered List
Apr 16, 2015

I already have Capitalize the first sentence checked in Autocorrect.  Has anyone created a macro to automatically captialize the first letter of each item in a numbered list? Would so appreciate it. ...

Would You Capitalize Diplegic Cerebral Palsy In A Sentence?
Nov 11, 2009

I have a client that is telling me that certain things should be capitalized in sentences that I have never capitilized before and I have been doing this for years. Now I am questioning everything that I do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks. ...

Would You Capitalize Admission History And Physical In A Sentence?
Apr 21, 2010

The sentence starts off with Admission which I know would be capped but what about the rest (History and Physical)?   Thanks... ...

Do You Capitalize Illegal Drugs Such As Cocaine, Heroin, Etc?
Dec 08, 2011

or do you leave them in lower case.  I know you capitalized brand names and lower case on generics, but what about street drugs, always wondered that?  TIA ...

Coronary Intensive Care Unit/Capitalize?
May 14, 2015

Should Coronary Intensive Care Unit be capitalized? Thank you. ...

Capitalization ?
Nov 30, 2009

The patient will see the Cardiology team.  OR  The patient will see the cardiology team. ?? ...

Capitalization Help?--thank You
Jan 29, 2010

year-old retired Air Force professor of history at the Air Force Academy at the Florida College, married with adult children.     ...