A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Capitalizing departments - help

Posted: Nov 26, 2014

When typing "Specimens were submitted to the toxicology laboratory or toxicology department" do you capitalize toxicology?  I'm confused and even with my BOS, it's confusing.  To me, you wouldn't because it's general to any place and would be more of a common noun, right?

Cap dept - AnonQC

[ In Reply To ..]
You're correct. As a general rule, any department with "the" before it would not be capitalized. If you can replace the department with a proper name (like, the specimen was sent to Dr. Smith) and it makes sense, then it would be capitalized.

Similar Messages:

What Does The BOS 3 Say About Capitalizing Departments?
Aug 25, 2012

I keep seeing arguments about how you do not cap departments unless preceded by a clinic or hospital name and some say according to BOS3 you do cap them now. ...

Capitilization Of Departments
Dec 31, 2009

Should you or shouldn't you capitilize departments in the body of the report (ie:  urology, intensive care unit, emergency room, etc)?  ...

Departments In Hospital
Feb 18, 2011

When typing the name of a department in a hospital, do you capitalize it?  Such as: We consulted Pulmonology. ...

Capitalization - How Do You Know When To Capitalize Departments
Mar 15, 2013

How do you know when to capitalize departments.  I've always typed emergency room, radiology, cardioliogy, dialysis.  Now its Radiology, Cardiology, Dialysis, emergency room.  Why isn't the ER capiltized if the others are?  Also, if home health comes to a persons home to dress their wounds would home health be capitalized or if someone goes to urgent care is that capitalized?  Can someone explain how I would know when to capitalize something.  Otherwise I find myself losing time ...

Opinion On Capitalizing....
Sep 10, 2012

Is it Cardiology Service, Pain Service, etc., or Cardiology service, Pain service? It's a specific entity, but "service" to me looks unnecessarily capitalized.... some days, I doubt everything I do... lol   ...

Capitalizing Department Name
Nov 07, 2013

Would you capitalize "Plastics" (as in Plastic Surgery) because it is a department name?  I'm wondering since it is kind of like a slang term. ...

Capitalizing Informed Consent
Dec 08, 2009

When typing informed consent my microsoft word wants me to capitalize these as "Informed Consent". Is this correct? My sentence reads, After informed consent, the patient was placed>>>>>> Thanks ...

Capitalizing First Letter After Period
Sep 21, 2010

Is there any easy way to capitalize after the period rather than deleting the letter and making it caps?  Thanks. ...

Capitalizing First Letter Of Sentences
Jul 21, 2011

I was just wondering if anybody out there knows how to switch back and forth between capitalizing the first letter of sentences and not capitalizing.  This is a problem when I go to type H. pylori or C. difficile, because it keeps capitalizing the "Pylori" and "Difficile".  Of course, I asked Support, but they said there was no way to change it.  I just wondered how you guys handle this.  Appreciate any help!! ...

ISR Not Capitalizing First Word In Sentence.
Sep 25, 2014

Anyone else having this a lot lately? It just seems that this should be something very easy for the ISR and yet it is continually NOT capitalizing the first word in a sentence - makes editing slow and tedious because of this glitch at times, because you can never trust it. You would think that would be one of the easier things for the ISR to do, so why is this continuing to be a problem I wonder? Just when I think the ISR is starting to get better with certain dictators and almost back to wher ...

Anyone Else Noticing That VR Is Suddenly Capitalizing
Jun 15, 2015

wasn't capping before?  WTH?  Is this just another sneaky way to catch us on medication errors, which happen to be nice 3-points-off errors that I am sure they love?  I suggest everyone double check all meds now, even though it takes extra time.  I myself do know which are or are not capped for a lot of meds, but not all of them, and it is very easy to let one slip....I think I let one slip on my last report!  Waiting for the email telling me I failed and then the h ...

Have I Been Capitalizing Things Wrong All These Years?
Oct 17, 2013

I've always capitalized emergency room or clinic when it came after the proper noun, such as St. Mary's Emergency Room or St. Mary's Hospital, etc, since it is a specific name of a specific place.  I have just been dinged by an MME that it should be St. Mary's emergency room and St. Mary's hospital.  Have I been doing it wrong all these years?  According to some grammar sites, I'm correct, but have they changed things? ...