A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Capitilization of departments - Tina

Posted: Dec 31, 2009

Should you or shouldn't you capitilize departments in the body of the report (ie:  urology, intensive care unit, emergency room, etc)? 

Rule of thumb or rule of BOS - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
I believe that this often varies from client to client, but I think the BOS (what do they know, right...) says to only capitalize if it is a specific name, such as "Jones Urology", or "ABC Hospital Emergency Room", hope this makes sense.

IT IS NOW 2010 ON THE EAST COAST... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Should be capitalized if... (SM) - Cathy

[ In Reply To ..]
I was taught that department names should be capitalized if they are referred to as an entity. A helpful way of determining this is replacing the department name with "Dr. Smith" and seeing if the sentence makes sense. If it does, it is usually capitalized; if not, it is usually not capitalized.

For example:
The patient will be seen by Urology. ("Dr. Smith" fits here and so it is capitalized.)
The patient will have a urology consult. ("Dr. Smith" doesn't fit here and so it is not capitalized).

Similar Messages:

Departments In Hospital
Feb 18, 2011

When typing the name of a department in a hospital, do you capitalize it?  Such as: We consulted Pulmonology. ...

What Does The BOS 3 Say About Capitalizing Departments?
Aug 25, 2012

I keep seeing arguments about how you do not cap departments unless preceded by a clinic or hospital name and some say according to BOS3 you do cap them now. ...

Capitalizing Departments
Nov 26, 2014

When typing "Specimens were submitted to the toxicology laboratory or toxicology department" do you capitalize toxicology?  I'm confused and even with my BOS, it's confusing.  To me, you wouldn't because it's general to any place and would be more of a common noun, right? ...

Capitalization - How Do You Know When To Capitalize Departments
Mar 15, 2013

How do you know when to capitalize departments.  I've always typed emergency room, radiology, cardioliogy, dialysis.  Now its Radiology, Cardiology, Dialysis, emergency room.  Why isn't the ER capiltized if the others are?  Also, if home health comes to a persons home to dress their wounds would home health be capitalized or if someone goes to urgent care is that capitalized?  Can someone explain how I would know when to capitalize something.  Otherwise I find myself losing time ...