A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Reading ahead while editing - struggling MT

Posted: Oct 29, 2010

I've read in quite a few posts here that one of the ways to speed up your editing process is to read ahead of the highlighter. I've also read that some people read up to a whole sentence ahead. I cannot believe that people do this. What if the doctor says something that you didn't catch? Sometimes sentences make sense and you are not aware that the doctor said something because you were paying attention to correcting the draft. Can someone explain to me how you do this without making major or critical errors?

For me, reading ahead means - VR Master

[ In Reply To ..]
glancing forward in the text, anticipating the little train wrecks of text and flowing into the correction fast and smooth. Your software starts to recognize better,you become a more skilled editor (which does not happen overnight)and finally you are just flowing with the text, making a minor correction here and there. At least in theory.

Reading while editing - struggling MT

[ In Reply To ..]
VR Master, thanks for the info but still, how do you not miss anything the doctor says while doing this? How long did it take you master this?..and how far ahead do you go while the voice is still going? Sorry for all the questions, I just need some reassurance that I will master this like you and be able to earn more! Thanks in advance!

You will have to proofread the whole report - VR Master

[ In Reply To ..]
and how long it takes to become a skilled editor depends on a few factors, but especially how much skill you already have as an MT, use of expanders, number of really bad dictators, how much you work on the same accounts, etc.

The platform I use was very rough in the beginning but has now smoothed out considerably and my skill at proofreading and anticipating is much better when I started using it nearly a year ago, but I have been doing MT for over 20 years.

The main thing is be patient and don't fret too much about making money to start. Work on your expanders, all words, not just long phrases. Eventually your skills will improve and the speech rec will improve and you will be sailing along. Good luck!
Struggling, I posted how I edited in response to questions - Skilled Editor
[ In Reply To ..]
how anyone could get any speed at this, make a living, etc. I certainly didn't mean to make it sound impossible, as if mine was only way to do it, or as if it was something anybody should be doing right off.

I also have been doing this for years now and am as relaxed and practiced at it as you will be after a few months of doing the same things over, and over, and over, and over, and...you get the idea. As VRMaster says, it comes with practice, and 7 or 8 hours a day is a lot of practice.

Here's something I haven't thought to say before: What I do is only one technique, one that works well for me. I suspect VRMaster, like others, is faster than me at keystroking in general, which would allow one to keep up with really sped up dictation. I'm a fast reader but not a fast typist (see the correlation with my correcting ahead technique?) There's only so much I can speed up the audio and manage to do the corrections WHILE listening to that particular part of the dictation. This means that for me the dictation will have whole stretches without a lot of correction that I can scan visually in a fraction of the time it takes to dictate. What to do while I wait? Go fix something.

Also, the VR I do these days has a lot of corrections to do. I worked differently a few years ago when there were comparatively very few. Then, the dictation was often cranked up to just short of unintelligible and it was a lot more about proofreading very fast.

Also, being able to "dual-task" to any degree had to have come after I gained great familiarity with my expander abbreviations and correction macros. Now, while I'm continuing to listen, the fingers are dropping in corrections via muscle memory. I don't have to think and remember what my correction macros are, the fingers are busy at "dumb work" they've done a thousand times.

In any case, whatever way works best for you is something you'll find and settle into over time. You'll see.
Thanks VR and SK - struggling MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you both for giving me great advice. I am going to try not to be discouraged and start slow and get into a rhythm. Hopefully, I will get better at it. I very, very much appreciate your replies. See, I've been doing straight transcription for 30 years and this is a real challenge. It's great to have a forum like this to network with others and get ideas! Thanks again!
Strug MT, please don't get too caught up on reading ahead - that is not the only technique to becoming efficie
[ In Reply To ..]
I generally do not read ahead, I keep my eye on the cursor and what the doctor is saying. I do speed up the dictation. You are correct in your assumption that in looking ahead you could miss something. I am not sure why expanders come into such a big factor for some of these MTs. I can see it in transcribing, but not totally necessary while VRing. I edit 400-500 lph and use none of the techniques Master Editor or skilled Editor use. YOU FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU! And you will find it and yes there is a "rhythm" to it. Good luck to you! I just had to write to say I hope you don't dwell on others' techniques too much. Their way not be your way.
Thank you for that. I think you are right. I am just not good at reading ahead - SM
[ In Reply To ..]
I tried today to read ahead, even tried to edit while listening and only had enough time to put in the punctuation or very small words before the cursor got too far head of me. Thanks again for your input!

Similar Messages:

What's Ahead
Jun 16, 2010

MT group to provide more training programs (The Philippine Star) Updated March 08, 2010 12:00 AM   MANILA, Philippines - The Medical Transcription Industry Association of the Philippines Inc. (MTIAPI) recently concluded its first short but intensive course in Basic Medical Coding and Billing held at the Philippine Trade Training Center. The training was a result of collaborative efforts by the MTIAPI, CITEM-DTI and Media Focus. “The Medical Coding and Billing Training is onl ...

What's Ahead For MTs
Jun 16, 2010

MT group to provide more training programs (The Philippine Star) Updated March 08, 2010 12:00 AM   MANILA, Philippines - The Medical Transcription Industry Association of the Philippines Inc. (MTIAPI) recently concluded its first short but intensive course in Basic Medical Coding and Billing held at the Philippine Trade Training Center. The training was a result of collaborative efforts by the MTIAPI, CITEM-DTI and Media Focus. “The Medical Coding and Billing Training is onl ...

Anyone Get 100% On An Audit Okay Go Ahead And Brag
Oct 23, 2009

I just wanted to know if it was possible!  I am nit picked to death by our whatchamacallit person who audits (I think they changed their title again?) For the past 2 audits I only came in at 97%.  I think we are suppose to be at 98.9%, but they are all stupid things... like a hyphen or a comma.  I forget sometimes that standard grammar may not apply to MT, but if it was stated in the AAMT BOS or client profile I tend to do it!  All 3 of the reports pulled were  ...

Thinking Ahead To MT Week
Mar 23, 2010

this wonderful company is going to do for us this year?;) I still have my clock made in China! LOL  What was that, 2005?  ...

Warning! Rant Ahead!
Dec 14, 2010

So my company is moving everyone from IC to employee on Jan 1. Pros: PTO days, insurance for FT, and they deal with taxes. Cons: I don't need their insurance. I want the "employer paid" portion in my check, which we won't get. Expected daily production went up. Level to reach incentive pay went up and not calculated daily. CPL rate went down 15%! And that's for standard transcription, not VR. Just in production pay alone, I'm losing $100-150 per pay period. Even wh ...

Save Me From Myself! (Rant Ahead)
Feb 24, 2011

This particular doc is super-annoying. He word salads/mumbles/sputters/, says things he thinks are funny and then laughs at his own "joke" (as in "I told the patient not to set himself on fire again while smoking crack heh-heh-heh"), and tonight he clearly and deliberately enunciated a phrase and then said, "I thought you people would have gotten this by now." WTF??? Among other things, this guy could not key in the correct number of a report if there were only 1 button on hi ...

Dear God Please Go Ahead And Fire Me Already
Jan 15, 2014

so tired of these "failed audit" emails.  God forbid I get a 99.5.  Please reply with how you are going to change this in the future.  Slow down.     Sorry I can't F'ing slow down i have kids to feed and you cut my pay over $5000 last year.  so fire me and let me collect UE and foodstamps.  OH WAIT you can't because you are constantly out of TAT and begging for people to work because they are all quitting or you fired them already.  My bad ...

I Am So Done With Medquist-warning Rant Ahead
Mar 31, 2010

I have to say, I never really believed everyone on this board when they were saying they are trying to get rid of the high-producing employees, etc, but I am now seeing it in action.  Believe every word you have read here.  I NEVER thought it would happen to be me, been with Medquist (or some company snapped up by it) for over 10 years.  I have now failed my second audit in a row.  It is almost like they just searched and searched for reports until they found ones they could ...

S/l Cateroid Surface?! LONG NIGHT AHEAD! SM
Jul 03, 2013

Can you tell it has been about 5 years since I have done ortho surgery!  I tried to hear volar, plantar, articular, raw, anything I knew, but just couldn't.  Here is the whold sentence:  The medial compartment has a complex tear of the meniscal root and the posterior horn.  Otherwise, meniscus is normal s/l caratoid/caroid surface of grade 1 to 2 changes, but no significant thinning.  Thanks!  ...

FINALLY, Getting Out Of Nuance And On To BRIGHTER FUTURE AHEAD!!!
Apr 05, 2014

....I wish all on this board success!!  I've found a way out and I'M TAKING IT, PRONTO...NOT GONNA LOOK BACK!!  An opportunity presented itself and I'm OUTTA HERE...My 'at will' time at Nuance is DONE!!!  Happy days are forthcoming...SUCH A RELIEF!!   Blessings and success to ALL MTs!!!!!! ...

I Did Go Ahead And Email The Rude Lady And Told Her
Sep 01, 2014

thank you, but I do not think I want to work for someone so rude.  I am glad I did.  Maybe she will consider her actions more thoroughly before sending a response next time.  I sure hope so.  I am glad I did that, too. ...

We Did Go Ahead And Tap That Small Right Pleural Effusion. Negative S/l "asa-fast".
Jul 10, 2010

x ...

Am I Reading This Right? - Sm
Mar 02, 2010

They are basically going to make the MT who sends work to QA pay the QA salary?  Is that even legal?  I've sucked it up for a long time now, living with the ASR pay cut, but there is no way I'm going to work for 1.5-3 cents per line!    Back in the ancient times of MQ, we had no QA.  We left a blank and put in a s/l.  We learned from reading tiny lines in big books because there also was no Google and no second ear.  Of course, the dictato ...

EEG Reading
May 27, 2010

Dictated:  "He felt the EEG was a ______ left frontal sharp theta, not stereotyped, not convincing, but could not exclude epileptic discharge." Sounds like "dist 2" or "disc 2" ?? Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance! ...

Reading
Jan 23, 2012

Gives me a headache. Welcome new COO, something something, synergy something leadership something blah blah blah blah blah.  Big starting bonus, I would wager. Happy Monday! ...

I Have Been Reading The Posts Below And Would Like To Say...
Nov 04, 2009

There are MT DIVAS and QA DIVAS... why couldn't the Lord have given me a voice like Whitney or Aretha, then I could have been a real DIVA and not worrying about making 7 cpl and paying house and car payments.  To be Mariah Carey wouldn't be bad either.  Which DIVA would you choose to be if you have the choice?  George Michael, Donna Summer?  I mean REAL DIVAS! ...

Re DSG: Reading The Archives And Saw Where
Nov 17, 2009

people were complaining of running out of work a lot.  Is that still a problem at DSG or is it better now? ...

C-spine MRI Reading
Mar 07, 2010

Sentence dictated as "She also has a small C5/6 {s/l DISS}."  He's really emphasizing the "ISS" sound. I know it would make sence for it to be disc, but the sentence sounds incomplete to me? I feel like there should be herniation or protrusion or bulging at the end of the sentence if it were "disc"?  Could the "diss" sounding word be short for something? Thank you!! ...

Reading Carefully
Jul 13, 2010

I have red enough about this Mts searching job. I am a new MT too. I have searching for job as much as everyone else. It is very sad when you get to this point and find out yourself you are not going to be able to make it as fast as you thought. Today is my graduationf from Mt, and I am not excited about it, but I will still attend it. I am considering to take a full-time job in a health clinic of my local hospital. It is not what I wanted when I decided to study this career. I like medical ...

Reading Below, It Has Been My Experience - Sm
Jan 17, 2011

that if a MTSO is overstaffing, then it means they are about to pull something that no one will be happy with.  It is one of the tell-tale moves they make before implementing a harsh new policy.  ...

Am I Reading The Email Right That Sm
Feb 23, 2011

CBay has now 81% of MQ holdings and by March 4, 2011, it could have 100% of Mq holdings?  Then they would own the whole company and then what?  I hope that is not what I am reading! ...

After Reading The Ad From AssistMed, I Am
Apr 21, 2012

what they offer in terms of compensation with all the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for the QA/MT positions.  When you read it, it sounds like the person/persons they are looking for would bring a lot of experience and talent to their company.  I wonder if the pay rate would come close to minimum wage considering all the variables involved, as we all know.  Anyone work there as an editor/MT?  I would love to know.  ...

Been Reading All The Threads Below.
May 09, 2012

I hear both sides.  My only problem is that I have been here for 8 years and making just over half what I started at.  Why would they have spent the last decade cutting, cutting, and then cutting some more only to give a raise now?  Also don't like to be a negative Nellie, but just don't see them giving us a raise.  I really, really hope I am wrong, but the only thing they EVER do is try to make their bottom dollar bigger.  I have seen a lot of newbies here on ...

Reading For Happy MT's
Jul 06, 2012

I agree that it can be frustrating to read the complaining on this board, but there are so many that are struggling I really feel their pain. It's like watching a movie where the house is haunted and you sit there thinking....just move out already! Just leave! Well, in reality, we know it's just not that easy. I have considered changing careers several times, but the school committment would make it so I couldn't work at all and I have a family to support. So, my suggestion is to ...

Reading Through Posts And Would Like To Know Why
Nov 08, 2012

Why do people keep posting about being fired? I have read posts about some getting fired, but seems like a few of them were months ago, a year ago etc. Only a couple I have noticed were let go recently and they all said it was due to either not making minimum wage or not meeting line counts. Am I missing something here? Why does everyone seem to think we are all going to be fired? ...

To The CEO Of MModal. Are You Reading This???
Dec 23, 2012

In case you do not know what it is.... it is on TV called "Undercover Boss".  You seriously need to know what it is like to be an MT or MME.  You need to watch the show and maybe then.... you will get a clue and see what we all do and learn to APPRECIATE US instead of treating us like slaves in slave job with low pay and no raises.    ...

I Was Reading Some Articles About MM...
Apr 05, 2013

I'm not even sure why. I guess I'm just trying to arm myself with knowledge or something. Anyway, I came across this article, here's an excerpt.  It literally made my stomach hurt. The link for the full article is below.  This was written on 9/11/12.   Speaking on the company's India plans, Dinesh Kumar , Managing Director, India for M*Modal said, "During the company's growth this past decade, India has remain ...

After Reading Through The Posts Here...
May 29, 2013

"If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude."-Maya AngelouJust wanted to share... ...

Some Interesting Reading...
Jul 20, 2013

http://www.outsource2india.com/services/medical_billing_training.asp   this is a pretty impressive site:  check out the management team and the testimonials.  there is basically nothing this company does not do...I wonder how much they pay - do they hire from the USA? ...

???? Just Reading All This News About
Mar 19, 2015

There have been no conference calls for me?  I emailed my TSM about this and he just simply said it doesn't apply to everyone and not to "get excited about nothing"....His typical short and condescending response to everything.   Nothing? It's NEVER nothing with this place.  I guess it doesn't apply to those of eScription....at least not YET..... This place is something else.......... ...