A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Been reading all the threads below. - Enhance me

Posted: May 09, 2012

I hear both sides.  My only problem is that I have been here for 8 years and making just over half what I started at.  Why would they have spent the last decade cutting, cutting, and then cutting some more only to give a raise now?  Also don't like to be a negative Nellie, but just don't see them giving us a raise.  I really, really hope I am wrong, but the only thing they EVER do is try to make their bottom dollar bigger.  I have seen a lot of newbies here on the board lately and it would seem now more understandable why the big hiring push -- there is going to be a lot of oldies gone when they roll out the new improved enhancement package. 

agree with you - unenhanceable

[ In Reply To ..]
Been here 16 years, and I have had 1 raise since 2000, but that was taken away with the last "rewards program."

I do think some of the newly acquired companies need there pay adjusted to MModals (formerly known as MQ) pay standard for the tiers, so hopefully that is all they are doing. I also think all the other platforms should be dumped and everyone should be on DQS, but what do I know.

If they lower my pay to be equivalent to "industry standards" of 8 and 4, I for sure will be moving away from MT! I think a lot of us long-time MTs for MModal will do the same.

I agree.... - Little chance of a raise

[ In Reply To ..]
Less than a year ago, they hacked my pay to be "competitive within the industry." Now I am at the top of their pay structure. I can't imagine they would raise it already. There may some kind of restructing (although I can't imagine how), and I hate to sound negative as well, but I just don't see raises in our future.

When I was "acquired" through DSG, my line rate went down, so - kinda doubt that is it. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

NM - Do you work for this company? You pop - up everywhere with

[ In Reply To ..]
with short debunking responses all over the place.
A lot of people use NM as an alias.... it means - no message
[ In Reply To ..]
In case you have no idea!
NM = no message. SM = see message. OP = original post/original poster. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

I was acquired through DSG also, and my rate is the same - I would not put up with a pay cut

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not sure how you ended up with a pay cut, but I would have told them where to stuff their pay cut if they tried it on me.
Question about pay cuts (not necessarily at MModal) - Wondering
[ In Reply To ..]
I read a lot at this board (not specifically the MModal one) that people will NOT accept a pay cut, that they won't let them try it on them. What do you mean specifically? The only way for someone NOT to have a paycut as far as I know is to quit or threaten to quit and hope they say "no wait stay" (which I did and got my pay the same, until the next pay cut when my company said adios). Just curious how one doesn't "accept" a cut and keep their job.
I cant speak for others, but what I meant was - that I wouldnt have accepted their offer
[ In Reply To ..]
When they "merged" with DSG we were given job offers that outlined our tier, line rate, etc. Had my offer been a lower line rate than I was making before, I would have simply declined their offer.

Not sure what that would have meant in the long run. Were people who declined the offer considered fired? Laid off? Quit? Were they able to get unemployment? No clue. But I would have taken my chances.
Thanks - For answering
[ In Reply To ..]
I think in the long run (assumption) they would have just said bye, but I dunno I had to accept at the time too because I needed A JOB LOL ;)
liars, crooked liars! - MT Gone
[ In Reply To ..]
just a word of possible warning, and I hope I'm wrong. I was with Spheris for about 10 years. M*Modal (the MedQuist) "acquired" me with an offer for employment when they bought Spheris. I was offered my same line rate - and all was fine for about 4 months. Then I received my first MT Reward which was actually a pay cut, loss of bonuses, and my Internet reimubursement. I received another pay cut a few months later. Finally I had to leave MT or lose my home. Thankful I was able to make a graceful exit with pride and finances intact. So even though you may have been offered what you have always been making don't count on it being permanent. I wish you and all others acquired by this Evil company the best.
Glad you got out intact - Wondering
[ In Reply To ..]
I've heard over and over again stories (through REAL coworkers not these boards) as I was formerly really active with AAMT (before it changed to ADHI and I stopped around 2002 renewing) about being outsourced and then lied to. It was usually okay, but sometimes financially devastating and that's when pay was cut by maybe 10%. I can't imagine what it would be like now going from hospital rates to what $10 an hour?
M*Modal/MQ doesn't think twice about - cutting pay
[ In Reply To ..]
In the 1990s, MQ bought the company I was working for. Our pay was cut 26% off the bat on top of not being paid for spaces. I left within a month.

Recently was re-hired at M*Modal & it seems better. Seems to be a lot of people on here who hate their jobs, but I think it's because our entire industry is no longer recognized as the skilled profession that it is. All the companies are trying to cut pay. They do it all the time. I am making about 1/3 of what I was making only 3-1/2 years ago. I do not anticipate our pay will ever again be what it once was & we are going to have to continue to work harder for less money.

some of them pay on 55 characters though - would be a raise

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree industry standard of 8 and 4 is still low, but if they paid on 55 characters instead of 65 which is what MM does now we might actually make more money. Not holding my breath though, I am sure when the next "rewards" book comes out it will mean a pay cut. They feel our reward is just having a job.

Um mine is 65 character line - According to my contract thingie

[ In Reply To ..]
It's 65 ASCII characters.

ETA: I was hired in February 2012.
Of course you do, we all do at MM - I was talking about other companies
[ In Reply To ..]
Please read the posts again. MModal and Amy have made comments about the enhanced rewards being paid out along industry standards which are 8 and 4 pretty consistently. However, my point was that some companies pay on 55 characters which ends up paying out more money. MModal just happens to pay on 65.

and that woman said she always tries to do what's right - right?

[ In Reply To ..]
I kind of trusted her. I'm still kind of hoping she was telling the truth. But maybe she didn't mean what's right for us, the people who got her and others like her where they are today.

ITA I get - GrabAClue

[ In Reply To ..]
That newbies and people who are struggling to hold onto all their experience (me as well) as MTs want to believe that the companies that run the industry will pay in accordance with our education and expertise. But I'd eat my hat if the majority of people "enchanced" received ANY more respect or ANY raise. There might be a small percentage that does, but look at the statistics of what people made in 1975, 1985, 1995, 2005, or any years you want to plug in. MTs are NOT compensated even with the rate of inflation, which to me says "you are NOT needed and as soon as we can replace you with a cheaper person or machine, we will."

Of course most MTs would love to say "OMG M*Modal did raise rates across the board!" History has not shown that to be the case. I know when my brother's company did "enhanced" compensation after a buyout most people lost 20% of their income PERMANENTLY.

I know I made last year what I made in 1992 - not even considering

[ In Reply To ..]
inflation. If anybody wonders why I am not a dancing happy beaver with this job, there you go. Is it because I am negative? Nope. Is it because the situation is bad? Yep. I could definitely use enhancing.

Similar Messages:

So, After Reading ALL The Threads Below About AHIMA Or Andrews...
Mar 11, 2012

from which one can you get enough education to pass the CCS?  It looks like AHIMA has coding basics for CCA and then take more advanced classes for CCS.  Andrews looks like you could possibly take the CCS when finished-anybody know? Thanks! ...

What Happened To The TTS Threads?
Jun 19, 2014

Have they been deleted by someone and who has the power to do this? ...

Entire Message Threads Disappear?
Oct 02, 2013

I was following a message thread this morning but now the entire conversation has disappeared, anyone else notice this?  I am just curious why it would disappear as there was nothing I considered worse than any other posts.  A little cat fighting, but that is not unusual (heehe).  Things that make you say "hmmmmm".  Just curious. ...

Threads Below Regarding Straight Typing And Are You Happy
Nov 30, 2014

It just seems to me like this particular person was trying to stir up a hornet's nest, which I think they did.  That person then posted right after the first post, asking about which companies were straight typing only.  One response, I believe was that this person should "go ahead and apply at a certain company anyway, because people may not work out." I think that some people just don't seem to "get it."  A company will advertise for a reason and that is that they hav ...

Idea For The Quality Essay (discussed In Threads Below)
May 05, 2013

Line rates: Why are experienced MTs being paid the same rates as newbies? These MTSOs state that an experienced MT should end up with more money because he/she is able to produce more lines than a newbie. I contest this by stating that experienced MTs are also producing HIGHER QUALITY lines and can do so with less help and less supervision (and, of course, much faster), and even if both the newbie and the experienced MT produced the same number of lines, since the experienced MT's lines ...

I Don't Know Who Keeps Starting These Oracle "complaint Threads" (see Message)
Mar 09, 2011

but I have been with OTI for MANY years and I have VERY SELDOM run out of work. If I got low on work, I'd ask for a backup account and usually got one. They don't bother me while I'm working unless they call to ask me to do a stat. Perhaps they have "favorites," but I'm not one of them, I can assure you. I don't understand, if you are so unhappy with Oracle, why you don't just LEAVE? I'll probably get a bunch of flack from this post, but I'm sick an ...

Am I Reading This Right? - Sm
Mar 02, 2010

They are basically going to make the MT who sends work to QA pay the QA salary?  Is that even legal?  I've sucked it up for a long time now, living with the ASR pay cut, but there is no way I'm going to work for 1.5-3 cents per line!    Back in the ancient times of MQ, we had no QA.  We left a blank and put in a s/l.  We learned from reading tiny lines in big books because there also was no Google and no second ear.  Of course, the dictato ...

EEG Reading
May 27, 2010

Dictated:  "He felt the EEG was a ______ left frontal sharp theta, not stereotyped, not convincing, but could not exclude epileptic discharge." Sounds like "dist 2" or "disc 2" ?? Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance! ...

Reading
Jan 23, 2012

Gives me a headache. Welcome new COO, something something, synergy something leadership something blah blah blah blah blah.  Big starting bonus, I would wager. Happy Monday! ...

I Have Been Reading The Posts Below And Would Like To Say...
Nov 04, 2009

There are MT DIVAS and QA DIVAS... why couldn't the Lord have given me a voice like Whitney or Aretha, then I could have been a real DIVA and not worrying about making 7 cpl and paying house and car payments.  To be Mariah Carey wouldn't be bad either.  Which DIVA would you choose to be if you have the choice?  George Michael, Donna Summer?  I mean REAL DIVAS! ...

Re DSG: Reading The Archives And Saw Where
Nov 17, 2009

people were complaining of running out of work a lot.  Is that still a problem at DSG or is it better now? ...

C-spine MRI Reading
Mar 07, 2010

Sentence dictated as "She also has a small C5/6 {s/l DISS}."  He's really emphasizing the "ISS" sound. I know it would make sence for it to be disc, but the sentence sounds incomplete to me? I feel like there should be herniation or protrusion or bulging at the end of the sentence if it were "disc"?  Could the "diss" sounding word be short for something? Thank you!! ...

Reading Carefully
Jul 13, 2010

I have red enough about this Mts searching job. I am a new MT too. I have searching for job as much as everyone else. It is very sad when you get to this point and find out yourself you are not going to be able to make it as fast as you thought. Today is my graduationf from Mt, and I am not excited about it, but I will still attend it. I am considering to take a full-time job in a health clinic of my local hospital. It is not what I wanted when I decided to study this career. I like medical ...

Reading Below, It Has Been My Experience - Sm
Jan 17, 2011

that if a MTSO is overstaffing, then it means they are about to pull something that no one will be happy with.  It is one of the tell-tale moves they make before implementing a harsh new policy.  ...

Am I Reading The Email Right That Sm
Feb 23, 2011

CBay has now 81% of MQ holdings and by March 4, 2011, it could have 100% of Mq holdings?  Then they would own the whole company and then what?  I hope that is not what I am reading! ...

After Reading The Ad From AssistMed, I Am
Apr 21, 2012

what they offer in terms of compensation with all the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for the QA/MT positions.  When you read it, it sounds like the person/persons they are looking for would bring a lot of experience and talent to their company.  I wonder if the pay rate would come close to minimum wage considering all the variables involved, as we all know.  Anyone work there as an editor/MT?  I would love to know.  ...

Reading For Happy MT's
Jul 06, 2012

I agree that it can be frustrating to read the complaining on this board, but there are so many that are struggling I really feel their pain. It's like watching a movie where the house is haunted and you sit there thinking....just move out already! Just leave! Well, in reality, we know it's just not that easy. I have considered changing careers several times, but the school committment would make it so I couldn't work at all and I have a family to support. So, my suggestion is to ...

Reading Through Posts And Would Like To Know Why
Nov 08, 2012

Why do people keep posting about being fired? I have read posts about some getting fired, but seems like a few of them were months ago, a year ago etc. Only a couple I have noticed were let go recently and they all said it was due to either not making minimum wage or not meeting line counts. Am I missing something here? Why does everyone seem to think we are all going to be fired? ...

To The CEO Of MModal. Are You Reading This???
Dec 23, 2012

In case you do not know what it is.... it is on TV called "Undercover Boss".  You seriously need to know what it is like to be an MT or MME.  You need to watch the show and maybe then.... you will get a clue and see what we all do and learn to APPRECIATE US instead of treating us like slaves in slave job with low pay and no raises.    ...

I Was Reading Some Articles About MM...
Apr 05, 2013

I'm not even sure why. I guess I'm just trying to arm myself with knowledge or something. Anyway, I came across this article, here's an excerpt.  It literally made my stomach hurt. The link for the full article is below.  This was written on 9/11/12.   Speaking on the company's India plans, Dinesh Kumar , Managing Director, India for M*Modal said, "During the company's growth this past decade, India has remain ...

After Reading Through The Posts Here...
May 29, 2013

"If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude."-Maya AngelouJust wanted to share... ...

Some Interesting Reading...
Jul 20, 2013

http://www.outsource2india.com/services/medical_billing_training.asp   this is a pretty impressive site:  check out the management team and the testimonials.  there is basically nothing this company does not do...I wonder how much they pay - do they hire from the USA? ...

???? Just Reading All This News About
Mar 19, 2015

There have been no conference calls for me?  I emailed my TSM about this and he just simply said it doesn't apply to everyone and not to "get excited about nothing"....His typical short and condescending response to everything.   Nothing? It's NEVER nothing with this place.  I guess it doesn't apply to those of eScription....at least not YET..... This place is something else.......... ...

After Reading All These Posts...
Jun 07, 2015

.....why does AHIMA even offer the CCA?  I am taking their Coding Basics Progam, is that a waste of time?  Why would they even offer it?  I interviewed with a lady who is the associate vice president of client service of a large medical billing company that has been around since the 1970's and she told me this was a good program and that she herself did an online self-paced program also.  She has these credentials after her name: CPC, CEMC, CCP.  I wish I had the f ...

Love Reading These
Jun 19, 2015

What was a minor error yesterday is a feedback today ...and vice versa.  It would be comical if it weren't so punitive. ...

TSH Reading And Hyperthyroid Or Hypothyroid
Nov 11, 2009

I've got a mumbler who is saying either "hypothyroidism" or "hyperthyroidism."  My only clue is that this patient has a high TSH level. When I googled, there were many sites about thyroid, and the majority seemed to indicate that low TSH = hyperthyroidism and high TSH = hypothyroidism. Is this right? I guess I always thought it was the reverse, but apparently this was incorrect. Any experts on the thyroid out there?? ...

A Reading Skills Test
Dec 18, 2009

ancillary tests: The parents bring in s/l Conner reading skills. ...

Computers Reading X-rays Now?
Apr 02, 2010

I have a friend who lead MT at a radiology group and she tells me that they are using software that reads parts of an x-ray. It can detect where the calcifications are. I wonder if the radiologists are thinking they may out of a job just like us someday. ...

Easy Workup Reading?
Jun 24, 2011

"Chest:  Clear to auscultation bilaterally with s/l an easy workup reading.  He had equal breath sounds heard throughout." I don't know what "easy workup reading" actually is. ...

OMG! Reading All The Posts. Who Is The Suit
Sep 03, 2010

First want to say I am so sorry for all MT's/QA who were laid off.  How terrible, yet I feel it could be a blessing in disguise because you can get unemployement and TAA and go back to school and get out of this field.  It is pathetic reading the posts from a suit who is trying to maintain damage control for the WEB company.  The suit is the one who is still getting paid with excellent benefits, not the poor MTs/QAs who have been let go.  Makes me sick that a suit woul ...