A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I'm so broke... - sm

Posted: Sep 18, 2010

I will probably make 21k this year, and that is depressing me!  This is my first full year doing just VR.  I made 32k 2 years ago and I was happy with that.  I don't need to make tons of money, just need to pay my bills.  I now qualify for Medicaid because I make so little.  I just can't seem to get a lot of lines doing VR and I have tried everything.  I feel that if I go too fast I will make a lot of errors.  I really feel like a failure now and that I am going backwards.  How can I get more lines without producing sloppy reports?  Maybe it's time I go back to school and leave MT behind.

"How broke are you?" "Im SO broke that...." - s/m - Rocky Raccoon

[ In Reply To ..]
... last night I walked to the store to buy whatever I could get for $5, because the cupboards & fridge are nearly empty, and payday is almost a week away. I got the smallest size of milk, a small box of generic-brand brown rice, and thought I had enough to buy a small box of cookies. But no - I had to take the cookies back. :(

That I cant afford to buy glue. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I am behind in my mortgage, that's how broke I am. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Me too. Scary times. And my mtg is less than rent on the cheapest apartment. - (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
dd

Frugal eating over here too! - Hayseed

[ In Reply To ..]
In trying to look at the bright side of things, I've learned to cook...like stuff I'd never consider cooking a year ago. I can now brag that I make my own bread and it's so incredibly easy and cheap (thank you You-Tube for the free teaching lessons!).

I also make my own pies, meat and fruit with crusts I make myself, also on the wicked cheap. The only downside is this sorta stuff is time consuming but if there's no work it can be a godsend as far as getting the mind off of the fact there is no work. Nothing to drink in the house except for water flavored with fake crystal light. Man, I do miss my wine!!

I've stopped buying milk and cream, but I do keep powdered milk on hand to mix it up if I need it for cooking and use fake creamer for coffee...which is my main foodgroup these days.

I've lost over 30 pounds in the past year and have kept it off because no more dairy, snackie snacks (unless I make them myself and then I cherish every bite), and of course no more wine. If I ever come into money again, I'll probably balloon right up because I'd gorge myself on eating out as much as humanly possible, a never-ending supply of wine, and refill my candy bowl which has been stashed somewhere in the nether regions of my kitchen.

:-D

Discount store bread here is cheaper than self made, but - granted doesnt feed the soul as self made does. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Congratulations! I bet you are now much healthier than before. - good for you

[ In Reply To ..]
You would have not been able to lose all that unhealthy weight on your own. Recession has also its good sides; I mean well!

Surviiving, but not what I call living - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
I have learned to shop at the Dollar Store. I buy all my cleaning supplies there, which in some cases are brand names. I also buy candy there and the peanut butter cups are actually better than the Reese's. Other savings include buying condiments, paper plates, candles, etc. I have also learned to make meals that we can get more than one meal from such as chowders, stews, chop suey, etc. It is amazing how you can save and cut back if you put your mind to it. I also use coupons, which I found at one point to be too much of a hassle, but every little bit adds up. I fortunately do not have a family to worry about, just me and my husband.

I'm so broke - s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
that I had to bargain with the pharmacy today for a few BP pills because I can't afford them until payday, a week away. Even bargaining, I had to borrow $20 from my daughter because I only had $20 to my name and the meds were $37.

No clue what I'll do about food but I did buy 2 cans of soup. Fresh vegetables? Fuggedabout it!

I'm now on more indigent-lists, payment plans/agreements, etc than at any other time in my life.

If I work 7 days a week for 2 weeks, that whole pay goes to rent, which means the pay I'm eagerly awaiting will net me a whopping $40 after rent, enough to get the rest of the BP meds. Can't not take the BP meds because the stress and anxiety are raising my BP.

Can't go to the doctor for cheaper meds, cause I can't afford the doctor.

Dogs are now on a diet because their food has to last a month and I'm looking for homes for them because I'm not sure how long I can hold out feeding them.

What a fun way to live at 52.

Help With Dog/Cat Food/Veterinary Help - JMe

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi. I read your post about dog food. This is a link to a pet site that lists by state groups that help with pet food (dogs and cats) and veterinary help for people who need financial help.

It is organized by State. So find your state and click on the name of your state. I hope you can find a group near you that has free food for your dogs. You might also try calling your local shelters or veterinarians to see if they can tell you where you might be able to get dog food. A lot of people are in the same boat, believe me. {{hugs}}

http://itchmoforums.com/help-for-pets-in-need-b91.0/

I'm known at my corner grocery for this. - Not enough $

[ In Reply To ..]
How many times has this happened to me? Ohhh...about 10 so far. But the gals/guys who work at the cash register give me coupons when I end up with having to put things back. Very humiliating (especially in a line with other people waiting). And this is just for basics. 27,000 a year here in California.

I'd be HAPPY with 21k, mine is more like 15k!! - SassyPants

[ In Reply To ..]
If I'm lucky...I maybe made 21k if you add the 2 years I've been doing MT/VR...That's why I'm getting out the first chance I get!

Left MT behind already. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I got tired of the dwindling income and having to beg for work several years ago. Learned coding and have been doing that since. My income is now just fine and I am treated with respect and appreciation. I recommend it.

Left MT behind - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you coding out of home or in office? Where did you learn coding?

Wow I love this site. Just when you think you are the only one - going broke, there are others out there like you

[ In Reply To ..]
I cook a pot of vegetable soup on Sundays or maybe Saturday, I put serving size in plastic containers or freezer bags, and I have a meal 5 days out of the week. Most of the time there is no meet in it, but it is delicious.

so broke that I had to move in with my mother - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and put everything I own in storage :-(
im miserable and broke and I very much DISLIKE VR

you are lucky that your mother let you move back - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
with her. My mother wouldn't.

Similar Messages:

BROKE MT
Dec 10, 2009

I am so broke being an MT I have no gas to heat my house.  The only room I keep heated is my office and the bathroom with electric heaters.   On my bed I have an electric mattress pad that keeps me really warm.  On my days off, I fire up the fireplace if I can get out to get the wood from the barn.  It could be worse. I could be on the street and cold!  ...

Slowly Going Broke
Dec 08, 2009

I'm getting frustrated about finding a part-time job.  I've done so many interviews, I'm blue in the face.  They all want to start at such a low cpl that I just can't do it.   I keep hoping my work pool will get better and have been told new accounts are coming but until that happens, I really need some additional income.  I've tried to getting switched over to another area without any luck.  I keep seeing my l ...

Boyfriend And I Broke Up Because Of This Job.
Dec 31, 2012

Am I the only one whose boyfriend/husband cannot stand us working in the house? You're chained to the computer, you want to work regular hours like everyone else in America and you cannot get away. The constant SOS's, or you have to work evenings and weekends and you don't have time for your mate. We fought all the time and now he's gone. Don't say then he wasnt worth it. But he was right about everything. they shouldn't make you work more than 8 hours a day. ...

Broke, Depressed, And Can't Find A Job
Jun 24, 2010

I guess I'm just venting, but suggestions are welcome. The title says it all in a nutshell, but let me explain. I don't have any money. I am relying on someone else to buy food for me every week. I don't have a job and can't find one. I would give up MT and start applying outside the house, but I can't because I am depressed and have severe social anxiety disorder, so that won't work. If I am getting more depressed by the minute. If I even could get a part-time job, ...

*RED ALERT* Doctors Are GOING BROKE!
Jan 05, 2012

Citing industry experts, we TOLD YOU this was coming.  But you kept INSISTING that it wasn't true as you continued drinking the Obama Kool-Aid. Read it.  WEEP.  Weep because these are the PEOPLE WE WORK FOR.  With doctors going BROKE and closing their doors, this means FEWER OPPORTUNITIES for MTs. This isn't Fox News, either -- it's CNN's Money Report.  And if you believe (as claimed by one quoted in this article) that -- SUDDENLY -- physician ...

I Am Literally Going BROKE Working For This Company
Dec 05, 2011

My region has just brought on a few new accounts which would be considered a good thing for most but here is my problem.  I'm an MME so these new accounts are all 100% QA which means I've only made $0.03 cpl for days now.  To make it a thousand times worse, it seems as if every doctor on one of our new accounts has a different set of samples and formatting to follow so when I'm not earning $0.03 cpl QA'ing other people's work I've got at least a dozen samples open ...

Tired Of 7 Days A Week And STILL Broke
Oct 20, 2012

I am SO tired of 7 days a week at the computer, scrapping for work.  Actual rate of pay figures out to about $10.50 per hour.  I used to be able to do 200 lph no sweat.  All these crazy platforms and HUGE increase in nasty E4L (Enlish as as 4TH language ) dictators.  I want a 5-day a week, 8-hour a day job.  I want my LIFE back.  I never used to have to work 80-hour weeks to make $40,000-plus a year.. now barely make $25,000 a year, and I am NOT a slacker.  I ...

5% Submission Straw That Broke The Camel's Back.
Jun 01, 2010

Things have continued to decline over the past 3 years I worked for MQ.  After the 5% submission rule went into effect, I decided  I needed a new career, so at the age of 46, back to school for me.  I think this might be an important step for many MQ'ers since obviously the rate of pay will continue to decrease and the work demand increase.  The fact they do not appreciate our ability to produce top-rated work and are happy with mediocre says a lot for a company tha ...

The Straw That Broke The Camel's Back-insurance Open Enrollment
Dec 08, 2013

Well - I am finally moving!  Started applying to non-MT jobs this week.    Have known it, have been saying it, but just could not bring myself to do it.  We just did open enrollement for 2014.  I now am paying $430 a month for my spouse and I to get contracted insurance rates - because that (and the wellness benefits) are ALL that it covers (not even pharmacy) until we pay $7500 together, then it covers a WHOPPING 75% till we pay $12,500 for our max out of pocket.& ...

Where Is The "I Am So Broke" Post? Seems The Board Is Trying
Sep 19, 2010

Hmmmm ...